Chapter 3

Cheap Latte
"So, how was it?", Sungyeol sat beside Myungsoo excitedly as Myungsoo sipped his coffee, freshly made by Sungyeol.
"It's great", said Myungsoo short.
"That's the Colombian I received from my secret admirer before. Can you taste fruity tone in it?", Sungyeol said, taking a sip of his own from Myungsoo's cup.
"Hmmm I don't know. Let me try it again", Myungsoo snatched the cup from Sungyeol's hand. He drank it slowly.
"I see... Colombian are great", said Myungsoo.
"Right? wonder who took their time to buy me that coffee. What a generous admirer", said Sungyeol.
"Hum. You're lucky", said Myungsoo.
 
It's Wednesday, after they finished their classes, Sungyeol took Myungsoo to "Infinite Cafe", a cafe owned by Sungyeol's neighbor hyung, Woohyun. Infinite sounds too brainy for a cafe this relaxed and comfy. It's situated near a station in one busy suburb. Built in relatively old building, once you stepped inside you will feel some sort of nostalgia of American mob films back in the 30s, with wooden interiors, simple chairs and round tables. People who come here are regulars, no one really remember or knows that this cafe called "Infinite Cafe" perhaps, because the sign before the entrance door never changed since 20 years ago, first time Woohyun's parents established the cafe. Now they enjoy their old days together in another part of the town, as Woohyun took over the business.
 
"Yah, Sungyeolie... It's your friend?", Woohyun pull a chair to sit between them. He brought the red velvet cake for three of them.
"Hi, I'm Myungsoo", Myungsoo introduced himself.
"I think I saw you before. Ah, I know I know, aren't you the heir of that giant electronic company?", asked Woohyun.
"Yes. Kim Myungsoo, that's me", said Myungsoo, bored with that repeatedly asked question.
"This is Woohyun-hyung, I told you before... he owns this place. I might be as well work as a barista here someday, right hyung?", Sungyeol playfully nudged Woohyun with his elbow.
Woohyun just smirked. "You think you're good enough already?", asked Woohyun.
"Of course! here! here! taste this", Sungyeol abruptly took the cup from Myungsoo and offered Woohyun the leftovers.
"Yaaah... you want me to taste this? Why don't you make me another one?", said Woohyun.
"Tsk... okay", Sungyeol walked to the bar as the two others watched him.
 
"He's actually quite good", said Woohyun, giggled.
"Yeah, I think that really is his passion", Myungsoo chuckled.
"Here hyung", Sungyeol put one nice hot coffee in front of Woohyun.
Woohyun lift up the cup and smell it. He then sip it slowly.
"Nice", said Woohyun short.
"Just that?", said Sungyeol, full with discontentment.
"Hahaha, it's almost perfect, Sungyeolie.. you can work here whenever you want", said Woohyun.
"See, Myungsoo, I will work here as barista once I'm graduated", said Sungyeol passionately.
"Huh? you're that serious?", said Myungsoo widen his eyes.
"Yeah. Why? Woohyun-hyung you will take me right?", said Sungyeol.
Woohyun just smiled and nodded.
"That's cool, though. I don't know what I want to do once I graduated", said Myungsoo, slightly tilt his head.
"Don't you want to take care of your father's company?", asked Sungyeol.
"I'm not really interested in electronic business. Not so much fun. I'm thinking about opened a bar or, club? Sounds cool, right?", said Myungsoo.
 
Sungyeol and Woohyun just looked at each other. A rich kid definitely has another mindset from common people.
"Hyung, is it hard to maintain a place like this?", asked Myungsoo to Woohyun.
"Hm, I've been lurking for my parents business since I was 13, so I know how to deal with things. People we work with also already familiar with me. So, when I took over I just continue my parents' hard work. It must be totally different things if you set your own business for the first time", said Woohyun.
"Of course. I will take business major first, then I'll set for a bar downtown", said Myungsoo casually.
"We will be some sort of rivals in the future then, hyung, we can't lose to Myungsoo's bar!", said Sungyeol.
"It's a bar, Yeolie, not a cafe", said Woohyun.
"But still... yah, Myungsoo-ya, don't forget me once you graduated and become a successful business man", said Sungyeol while chewing the red velvet cake.
"Why would I forget you?", Myungsoo chuckled.
"Just in case! you will meet a lot of people after highschool... Ah... We will be in third year soon. I don't wanna think about exams!", Sungyeol screamed.
"But isn't our Sungyeolie a smart student? he always in top ten every time the exam scores out, isn't he?", Woohyun rubbed Sungyeol's back vigorously.
Myungsoo laughed.
"Yeah, when he said it, that's exactly when he got the top rank scores... whoa, smart people definitely don't think about exams", said Myungsoo.
"Yah, I study hard like everyone else! Is it my fault if others have bad scores?", said Sungyeol quite upset.
Both of them just laughed at his frankness.
 
So they hang out until 7 PM, then Myungsoo head back home in rush, since he got something to do. Sungyeol walked home, his house is just 5 minutes walks from Infinite Cafe. He greeted his mom and his younger brother and head to his room right away. He throw his bag on the floor and dropped his body on the bed. He watched the ceiling.
 
"Dinner is ready", a shout from downstairs heard.
"Coming...", Sungyeol waked up hesitantly and changed his clothes. He then came down and sit beside his brother. His father is working over time.
"How is school?", asked his mom.
"It's alright", said Sungyeol short.
"Yah, I'm proud of your recent exam scores. Have you think about your future university?", asked his mom as she handing him a bowl of rice.
"Hm, not yet", replied Sungyeol.
"You still have one and a half year to think about it. But I guess business major or management would be good", said his mom, quietly dictating.
"I'll think about it mom", Sungyeol replies, picking some side dishes and shove them into his mouth.
 
Sungyeol obviously never think about going to university, he wants to work as barista. That's what he finds fun. Never crossed in his mind he would be a man who works endlessly inside the office, gaining positions as he gets old. He wants to make coffee and meet people. But then he thought that it's also totally make sense that people around him expect him to entered no.1 university and study there, that's just what people with excellent scores are doing, isn't it?. Sungyeol himself kind of doubtful about his decision, is it such a waste if he gave up his brain for something trivial like being a barista?. He sighed heavily as he opened his textbook.
 
Then, he remembered one thing, his friend Hyunwoo borrowed his notebook before, and he said he left it inside Sungyeol's drawer, and he forgot to pick it before he went to Infinite Cafe with Myungsoo. Ah, damn, he thought. He couldn't make his papers without that notebook. He looked outside the window. It's 8 PM. He scoffs and runs downstairs.
 
"Where are you going?", yelled his mom.
"I left my notebook in school, mom. I should pick it for tomorrow papers!", Sungyeol wore his sneakers hastily and run to the school. It was downhill road to the highschool, less tiring, but still, night time jogging is not a good idea if you have papers to do after. Finally after 10 minutes running, he arrived at school. He explained the school guards to let him in for his notebook. In fact, the school is still kind of alive at this hour, students with lacking scores are studying extra hours and so with third year students for exam preparations.
 
Sungyeol just about entered his empty dark classroom when he realized it's not that empty. There's a suspicious figure in black, snuggling something in Sungyeol's drawer. Oh God, it's must be his secret admirer. He's carefully watch the figure from the slightly opened door. The lights from the street slowly revealed the figure's face, Sungyeol gasped as he found who it was.
 
It's... Myungsoo.
 
Sungyeol closed his mouth try not to make a sound. He watched Myungsoo movement, instead of exit through the door, Myungsoo jumped off the window. He's lucky that their class is on the ground level. Sungyeol entered the class slowly. He watch Myungsoo's figure walking casually in his black hoodie and he rode his bike away. He look into his drawer and find one box of Blue Mountain and of course, his notebook.
 
Should he took the Blue Mountain home so he could watch Myungsoo's expression tomorrow?, he thought. It's a mixed up feelings knowing that his secret admirer is not a girl, and, it's his best friend. Should he be happy that Myungsoo loves him that much or upset that Myungsoo shattered his expectation?. Sungyeol decides that maybe it's better to keep it a secret and put back the Blue Mountain back in his drawer.
 
"That prick Kim Myungsoo...", Sungyeol giggled as he left the classroom.