Final

60 Seconds

The first time we met was at that coffee shop you worked part-time for. I saw you standing there, sheltering yourself from the rain.  When I saw you, it felt like everything around me stopped, and I could hear my heart beating loud. Sixty seconds.

You look like you were in a hurry and annoyed; you didn’t have any umbrella with you. I happened to have one. I looked down on my feet, unsure of what to do. I was scared. But nonetheless, I mustered up enough courage, and decided to approach you. I stood beside you, watching at the rain. You looked at me, and I looked back at you, smiling. You smiled back.

“You don’t have an umbrella?” I asked you.

“I don’t...” You shyly replied.

“Do you want me to take you to the bus stop?”

“Is it... okay?”

“Of course it is.”

You grinned at me and bowed a little, and then we started walking. It was a silent walk, a minute long. But that walk was enough for you to plant something in me, and for our story to begin.

I kept walking when I stopped and looked around – then I met eyes with you
I quickly turned my head and stared at my feet – then I slowly looked up
My eyes widen, my lips slowly part
My heart is ringing in my ears


“Hello?”

“Yeah Myungsoo, I’m here.”

After three months of waiting at the coffee shop for you, three months of walking you to the bus stop and having our one-minute conversations, everyday of those three months.. You’ve finally said yes. A given answer with an unspoken question. Because really, I didn’t say or ask you anything, but somehow you knew that there was something. We somehow developed, and that something you planted in me wildly bloomed.

I gave you a hug as I came at your place; you were busy cooking something, a first and last.

“What are you cooking?”

You quirked your lips to the side, revealing a cute little dimple on your cheek and turned your head to face me, making our noses touch.

“Try guessing.”

I watched you cook for a while. I admired how you smile softly as you cook; it’s as if your smile was the secret ingredient to every good-tasting dish.

“Hmm… is it… my favorite?”

“You have a lot of favorites though. Be specific.”

“Well... I can see tomato sauce over there and pasta over here, so it’s spaghetti?”

You laughed and faced me, hugging me tightly and planting a soft kiss onto my lips. The way your laughter filled my ears, I will never forget that. And the way your soft lips landed onto mine, sending explosive sparks all over me; that will be something my heart will always remember.

“That’s very smart of you!” You brightly smiled at me.

I smiled back at you and hugged you gently, pressing my lips onto your forehead, then you pushed me away, giggling softly.

“Anyways, help me cook so we can eat already.”

And so I did. It probably was the first time I ever held a kitchen knife and cut carrots; I was never really fond of cooking and chopping, but I didn’t let you know about that. You didn’t need to anyway, but nonetheless, I did it. I did it for you, for your happiness.

After everything was done, you took a fork and twisted it on the spaghetti, slowly lifting it to me and said ‘ah~’, which I obediently followed. I nodded a few times, smiling and did the same to you.

“It’s delicious, right?”

You nodded and smiled in response. I wiped away the sauce that caught on the side of your lips, laughing, and then ruffling your hair.

*

A week later, we hung out again; we hung out the whole day. We went back to your place afterwards and as I was about to leave,

“Stay here a little bit longer, will you?”

I was in a daze as you looked at me in the eye and held my arm. It took me sixty seconds to recover. How am I going to refuse to that, I asked myself. I nodded, and you grinned. You pulled me to the couch and made me sit. We talked for a while, laughing at the things we did earlier that day. And then you said you were tired and wanted to rest, so I let you lay your head onto my lap.

Minutes had passed and after reaching my limit of boredom to the book I was reading, I put it down and looked at you. You were sleeping, but you were still pretty. I couldn’t help myself but touch you, because I was unsure of whether this was real or not. Everything was still very surreal to me.

*

After a month, on our fourth monthsary, I took you out on a coffee date. We had a long, happy conversation about the things that had happened to us at the past few months, and we also talked about what will happen to us in the future.

You were sipping from your drink when I put my hand on the table, tapping my fingers. You noticed something on my finger, and you asked me what it was for. I smiled and took your hand, and I sneakily slid in a ring on your finger, a perfect fit.

“A reminder that from here onwards, you are Kim Myungsoo’s,”

And I held your hand with my hand, wearing a similar ring,

“And I am Park Hee Yeon’s.”

Four months had passed, and it only took me sixty seconds to fall deeply in-love with you.

60 seconds is enough for this story
You have entered my heart
I don’t doubt that you have taken me in this not-so-short time
That’s the kind of person you are, a story that’s enough for me
I don’t need a reason
You made my heart flutter and you made me find you – that first time


You called me one day, telling me to come over your place. Your voice was cracking, so I figured you were crying. I went there as quickly as I could. And as I was about to knock on your door, my heart really felt heavy. I wasn’t so sure of the reason, but I ignored it and knocked. You opened the door for me with a lopsided smile. You walked in and I followed you. I back-hugged you for a minute, then I slowly let go of you. We sat there on the couch, sitting a meter away, filling the room with our silence.

We had been together for ten months. Ten months full of love and arguments. But as always, we make it through those arguments. But the recent argument we had did have an effect on our relationship, on us.

You stood up from your seat and walked back and forth, cupping your chin, as if you were deciding on doing something that you were very not sure of. I knew what you were thinking. I expected it, but I didn’t expect it to happen so fast. I wasn’t ready for it, but you have already decided.

You faced me teary-eyed and sighed. You took my hand, opened my palm, and placed something on it.

“Myungsoo-ah… I’m sorry, but let’s end this.”

Your voice gets choppy and the tears slowly rise and overflow
I hug you in my arms for a while and slowly let you go
My eyes go blank and my lips lost all words
My heart stops at the sound of your sighs


I never stopped looking for you after that day you returned the ring to me. I looked for you everywhere, asked people about where you were, but they refuse to tell me. They told me that you asked them not to tell me your whereabouts. They even asked me to stop looking for you, because you told them how much you were hurting because of me.

But I didn’t believe them. I refuse to. I was thinking, if you really are hurting because of me, I want to hear it from you, not from someone else. At the same time I wanted to give up, but I really wanted to hear the truth from you, so I carried on searching, despite what other people said. I was stubborn.

After a week, I finally found you. It was midnight and you were walking alone, hands crossed on your chest and your head down. I purposely walked to your direction so I could “bump” to you, and so I did. We bumped onto each other. You said you were sorry, but as soon as you saw my face…

“M-myungsoo-ah…”

You tried to run away, but I quickly grabbed hold onto your arm.

“Tell me, face to face, that you really are hurting because of me.”

Silence. I pulled you in front of me and placed my hand on your shoulders, shaking them gently.

“Yah, speak to me!”

You pursed your lips and looked down, and tears streamed down from your face.

“Just, please. If you really—“

“Yes, okay! Yes, I am hurting because of you. Every night I cry myself to sleep because of you. Ah, seriously Myungsoo, I don’t know what to do with this heart of mine! I’ve loved you so much that it’s killing me. I trusted you Myungsoo, with all my heart. But what did you do with it?”

You covered your face and sobbed. I stood there, speechless. I was ashamed of myself. I love you, but I’ve failed you.

“I’m sorry, Hee Yeon-ah… I-I’ll just go… I’m really sorry…”

I hugged you tight, for the last time, for sixty seconds.

60 seconds is enough for this story
You have disappeared from my life
I didn’t hold onto you, I saw your heart in this not-so-short time
That’s the kind of person you are, a story that’s enough for me
Your message has been clearly told
You said you were hurting and I let you go – that last time


We walked on different paths, carrying on with our lives, pretending as if we never happened. Eight months after we broke up, you were still on my mind.

I was out to meet with Sunggyu hyung, and I happen to pass by that cafe you work in to, and I saw you there. Beautiful as always.. You've never really changed, you know? You still give me that same heart-racing sensation, you still make me breathless, you still make me fall in love with you in sixty seconds.

I tried to approach you, but you suddenly went back inside. So I followed you there and waited.. Waited for you to notice me. You've passed by me many times already, but you didn't even recognize my presence. Suddenly, memories of us intruded my mind, and I stared at the ring on my finger.

I took it off and placed it on the table before leaving. I tried leaving as quickly as I could, but you seem to caught up with me.

"Excuse me, you forgot your ring."

I looked at you and stared into your eyes. 'This will be the last time we'll meet. I'll never forget you,' I told myself. I looked back at the ring on your palm and closed your hand gently. You lookd at your hand and looked back at me, as if you suddenly remembered something. I was crying by that time.

"Please don't forget about us and remember me."

Then I walked away.

Not even after a minute, just in 60 seconds, you settle into my heart
You made me dream of you every day
But why is it a story of yesterday for you?


It was raining when I left the cafe. Just like how I came in before. 'This really is goodbye now,' I thought.

I looked back at the cafe and saw you smiling again. It's really better off this way now, huh?

I hope you never stop smiling, because that smile of yours and our moments together will be my only memory of you. And you'll always be in my heart and mind.

I love you, and I'm sorry if I wasn't good enough.

Sincerely and forever yours,
Kim Myungsoo

I rewind and stop at your happy image
I smile as well – is this what love is? I felt it a little
I was once lacking in emotion but the times with you will last forever


A/N

H-how was it...? Did it .......? I'm so sorry! OTL And also sorry for marking the story comeplete even though it's not -cries- you can kick me for that ;;
I hope you liked it though.... Poor MyungMyung O n O And yes I based the letter on the music video and its lyrics~ The lyrics is the Infinite version though, but meh~

Rate and comment your thoughts, please. Anything will be fine~ Thank you <8

- Mir