"In Case I Lose You Again, My Two Eyes Only Look at You"

The Innocent Man | Remembering the Forgotten Past

Look at me, who loves you

Because tears fall like this, because tears keep falling

Even if I'm born again, even if I'm born again, it's you

- Really - sung by: Song Joong Ki


After helping the little girl with her stomach ache, Kang Maru thought about her words. Why did he go to that small cafe every day? Everyone knows the food there isn't the greatest, Maru knows the food isn't the greatest. Yet for some unknown reason, he always would go back. Maybe it was the feeling that the cafe gave off. A homely, welcome feeling. Even after a tiresome day at work, he could always feel relaxed there.

His noon appointment had just left, thanking him and waving gratefully as she carried her feverish son and the prescription medicine with her. Maru checked his wrist watch and decided now would be a good lunch break. He wandered into the back room and took of his white coat before leaving the clinic and walking the small length to the cafe.

Through the window he saw the young woman who owned the shop. She sat on a chair behind the counter, her arms and chin resting on the counter as she held a picture fram in front of her. A small, sad smile graced her face as she gently rubbed her thumb across the frame. Her face became alert suddenly and she sat up to pull her phone out of pocket before reading the caller ID and answering the phone with a happier smile. 

Maru watched as she got up and went somewhere into the back to take the call. He took a breath and then gently pushed open the door; the soft jiggling of the bell alerting that someone had arrived.

"Ah, just one minute!" the young woman's voice called out. Maru didn't reply but just took a seat at a small table by the window. He could hear the woman talking in the back room and could hear her laugh at something the caller said. Maru looked over at the counter and his eyes instantly darted towards the picture frame.

He wanted to know what made the woman smile so sadly. Slowly, he got up and made his way to the counter. 

"Yah, Kang Choco," the woman scolded. Maru blinked and looked up to where the voice was coming from. Kang Choco, was his younger sister. Tt had taken him a while to remember her, but after the surgery 7 years ago, he had forgotten his own sister. But how did the cafe owner know his sister? He listened as the woman continued on. "You know I can't do that! He has to remember naturally."

"Aish...," she mumbled after a while. "You're impossible."

It was quiet again as she listened to watch this Kang Choco was saying. Maru looked down at the picture frame again and picked it up, flipping it around to look at it. What he saw shocked him into stillness. He, Kang Maru, stood with the cafe owner at what looked like a parade. She was holding out the camera to snap their photo as the other hand rested gently on his shoulder. Both of them were smiling at the camera.

Maru couldn't understand how this was possible. He didn't even know the cafe owner's name. So how could they have a photo together?

"Choco-ya," he heard the owner's voice again. "I have to go now, there's a customer waiting. Tell Jae Gil and Seul Gi I said hello, okay? Bye~!"

Maru listened in shock. She knew everyone. Jae Gil, Choco, even his niece Seul Gi...

"Welcome, what can I get...." The owner trailed off as she saw that it was Maru. He slowly looked up at her and took in her wide-eyed look. He watched her take in the face that he was lookign at the photo, and that he most likely heard everything. She blinked quickly and then regained her composure. She gave him a shaky smile. "Ah, Annyeong."

Her eyes flickered down to the picture frame in his hands. Maru slowly set it down, not taking his eyes off her. She fidgeted under his gaze for a moment before walking forward and taking the picture.

"You...you know me." It wasn't a question. Maru wasn't stupid, he knew this woman knew him somewhere.

Realizing the woman couldn't hide it any longer, she slowly nodded while biting her lip nervously. "Yes."

"How?"

She took a deep breath and looked him straight in the eye. "Maru-ssi...I am Seo Eun Ki...and we...we..."

"We...what." Maru egged on.

Eun Ki pursed her lips and sighed. "Maru-ssi...we were dating."

Maru frowned slightly. "Dating? Then why weren't you at the hospital after my surgery?"

Eun Ki's face took on a sad look. "The night before, we made plans to talk the next morning, after your surgery. But there was...an incident that occured. Before I could make it to the hospital, Jae Gil called and told me what had happened. I decided that maybe I should let you go. But it became too hard so I followed you to America and back."

Maru was barely listening now. A sudden memory bubbled up in his head. In a tunnel, Eun Ki driving right into his car. Another and another kept popping into his head. Eun Ki and him in Aomori, Japan. Eun Ki and him on the beach as he plays the harmonica for her. Them holding hands, them kissing. Everything.

Maru gasped and stumbled away from the counter. Eun Ki took a step forward in concern," Maru?"

He held up his hand for her to wait. Despite the shock of the moment, he was not in pain. No, it was quite the opposite really. He welcomed the onslaught of memories. When his head calmed down, he looked up and met Eun Ki's wide and shocked stare. She studied him in concern.

"Eun Ki-ya," he said slowly. She watched him earnestly, waiting for him to continue. "What took you so long?"

Eun Ki's eyes automatically filled with tears of relief. "Mianhe..." 

Maru smiled gently and walked back towards the counter. He leaned over and gently wiped away Eun Ki's tears.Hesitantly she learned forward and wrapped her arms around his neck. Despite the counter being between them the hug was not as awkward as it probably would have seemed. 

"You're back," Eun Ki said softly through the tears. "You came back."

"I'm back," Maru said with a smile and a soft kiss to Eun Ki's head.


Meh...it was a much better play out in my head lol...but anyway, if anyone reads this, I hope you all enjoy it. And maybe tell me what you thought of the drama? :)