Chapter 1

The Lucky One

Kyungsoo hung up the telephone and swung his swivel chair to face the glass wall which looked out to a sporting field a street away. He laced his fingers together and mentally replayed the conversation he’d just had, if you’d call it that. The woman on the other end spent most of her time sobbing inaudible mumbles. She’d just lost the father of her two children and was understandably distraught. Stories didn’t surprise him anymore. Aquatic adventures gone wrong, car collisions, suicide, age; he had come across most imaginable causes. Scribbling the client’s name and summarized responses on a sticky note, he gently smoothed it in on the upcoming Thursday of his black leather planner.

The funeral director poured himself a half glass of 1930 K.W.V. Muscatel from the small wet bar. Kyungsoo normally didn’t drink before five, but he had a meeting with several more clients where he had to confirm and finalize media aspects for their service. That aside, he had been combating with a lack of sleep. For the past week he had been waking up roughly twice a night for no absolute reason. Last night was the cherry on top of sundae with a record shattering five times. In his moment time out, the director remained unhurried with his dose of liquid sanity. Disregarding age, the wine still remained fresh and flavourful with spicy and herbal nuances. Highly concentrated it was accompanied with a slightly dry finish.

The fax machine on his timber desk sounded; his assistant on the other end.

“Mister Do, you have your meeting with the Park’s in another twenty minutes.”

Kyungsoo held in a sigh which so desperately wanted to escape.

“I’ll be there in ten.”

 

---

 

The meeting had drained the life out of Kyungsoo. He’d wondered if his grandchildren had already died. His phone vibrated in his right pocket and the director swiped to accept, not bothering to even glance at the name.

“Hello?” he answered, leaning his left elbow onto his cold timber desk.

“Hi my sweet,” it was Jongin, “how’s work?”

He heaved a long sigh.

“I’ll take it as it wasn’t good?”

Kyungsoo shook his head ever so slightly, forgetting the fact that it was a phone.

“Don’t worry about it… why did you call?”

I just called to say, I love you~

Jongin had broken into song. Kyungsoo face palmed at his boyfriend’s dodgy pronunciations.

I just called to say how much I care…

“Okay, okay…! Enough Mister Kim Jongin – I get the message.”

“Do you really?” he pestered

Kyungsoo crossed his right arm under his elbow and fell back into his swivel chair. Eyes rolling back, he could feel his strength being sapped by he who was on the other end.

“Can I help you…?” he asked, his voice unintentionally delivered as a whine.

“Yes. Yes you can…” the older pinched his eyelids together, uncertain about whether he’d really be able to deal with his boyfriend’s nonsense. He was on the brink of choosing to slump on his desk for a week of hibernation. “When you get home I’d like you to be on your best behaviour, thank you very much.” Kyungsoo opened his eyes and looked up to his ceiling somewhat hoping he’d see the grim reaper. He’d had just about enough of life right now. “I’m taking you out to dinner so you’d better behave.”

It astonished him that the younger could say that. Ask anyone who knew them and they would be well aware that he was the one who should be on his best behaviour. From their last weekend experience, coffee ended up being an argument with a tatted bikie about parking over two spaces. The reason was legitimate, seeing as his bladder was about to explode from a capacity overload, but still. He couldn’t even offer a decent apology let alone validate reasons in a mature manner. Kyungsoo swallowed his memory hoping that it’ll just be another one of those irrelevant matters he’d forget over the course of a month.

“Where are we going?”

“The Pavilion.”

The older upturned his brows, mildly creasing his forehead.

“…Jongin, that place is ex-”

“Ah-bop-bop-bop …! I told you to be on your best behaviour.” the jeweller cut off. “No whining about the location or prices. We haven’t had a proper date since your father died and you know it. About time you stopped neglecting me and gave me the date I deserve, don’t you think?”

The funeral director clamped his mouth shut on the end. Brutally worded as it was, there was no denying it. Ticking on three months ago Kyungsoo began burying himself in work in an attempt to keep his mind off the family death. He tried so desperately to fill the void had with work, only to lay awake at night feeling rather hollow next to his lover. Jongin had never been a smooth talker. Heck, their first encounter included ‘I think you’re hot’ and a ‘thank you’. But his inability to sugar-coat and bull was something Kyungsoo actually drawn to. He spent his too much of his day sweetening words for clients that he needed someone who wasn’t afraid to punch him in the face with truth. As demonstrated to him just then.

“I’m sorry…” Kyungsoo murmured into his phone.

“I don’t want an apology. I want to see a happy Kyungsoo coming home, ready to reward his oh-so-hot boyfriend with smiles and a good night out.”

Kyungsoo smirked at the way he described himself when the fax sounded. The director covered his phone before listening in.

“Mister Do, the Han’s have arrived. They’ll be in soon.” voiced his assistant.

“Send them in, I’m ready.” he answered, uncovering his phone. “I’ll be home in an hour.”

With that, the older hung up and replaced his phone in his jacket’s right pocket.

 

---

 

Jongin looked at himself in the full mirror and adjusted his bow which the sales assistant had helped him with earlier. The cover worthy figure flaunted the exclusive dark Prussian blue tuxedo he had picked out last week from a top end designer. He had it tailor made by a team of seamstresses and to his surprise it turned out better in reality. The young man’s gut squirmed uncontrollably as he repeatedly changed angles, checking out his reflection. It was like the first date all over again. He wondered if the suit made him look fat.

“You look stunning, Sir. Who’s the lucky lady for tonight?” asked the brunette a metre away.

He smirked. It may not have been funny to her, but it sure as hell was to him. He loved how some people assumed he was straight. It amused him, because they’d always deliver the typical ‘such a handsome guy like you, I thought you’d be…’speech. Obviously, the endings varied.

“There actually isn’t a lucky lady…” The jeweller answered coyly, leaving a clear gap for her imagination to fill. It was hard work trying to keep his face to only a smirk. Inside he wanted to tumble around on the carpet in a spastic laughing episode, but that would be inappropriate in such a quiet boutique. Well aware that he was being evil, Jongin decided that it’d be the last time he’ll mess around with such petty and shallow women. This chick was the last draw.

The delicate melody of a piano played from his phone and Jongin excused himself before taking it.

“Hello?”

“Mr Kim, just confirming that we have a reservation for you at 7pm; is that correct?”

“Yes, that is correct.”

“We will be glad to see you then. Thank you for choosing K.J. Pavilion.”

 

---

 

Kyungsoo intended to leave ahead of traffic, but it was too late for that. Cars crammed in from every lane that led onto the main highway. Kyungsoo could only roll his silver BMW series 4 Coupé a metre in the last minute. Leaning his elbow on the windowsill, his slender fingers on his opposite arm wrapped loosely over the wheel. Traffic was completely immobile. Crimson beamed in his face from the bumper in front, intensifying the headache he had scored from his last set of clients. With nothing left to do, Kyungsoo began tapping to the beat and let his mind wonder.

What was Jongin doing right now? Jongin hadn’t crossed his mind in a while and Kyungsoo felt guilty of that. Mentally assessing himself, the funeral director couldn’t tell if his own actions had resulted from tiredness or just mental distraction. Either way as the car in front indicated and pulled into another lane, Kyungsoo couldn’t think of anything to say. Not that he needed to, he was currently stuck in a chain of motor vehicles by himself. He just felt empty.

The recorded voice of a close friend began playing from his phone. Kyungsoo’s lips formed the slightest curve upwards as the memories of the recent karaoke night rolled back into his head. Reaching over to his phone which was attached to a manoeuvrable ball-joint arm, he swiped to answer ‘Kai-ielbasa’ as his boyfriend fashionably chose to nickname himself on his phone. Classy.

“Where are you?” the other voice asked, proceeding to greet him later. “And hi beautiful.”

“I’m stuck in traffic.” He answered simply, choosing not to greet him back.

“When are you going to be home? I booked us a reservation at 7…”

Kyungsoo had totally forgotten. He figured he should just have just kicked himself in the rear for not even remembering their evening plans. He hadn’t even organised it. Kyungsoo was disgusted with himself. He had one job. One job: to go to the planned dinner... and he ed it up. Unconsciously the driver let out a sigh that was picked up through the phone.

“What’s wrong?”

“I’m sorry.”

There was a two second bridge of silence before the younger finally answered.

“…What?

The words felt like they were stuck at his throat, but Kyungsoo forced them out as best as he could.

“I’m sorry for being slack on us.” He glanced back at the phone that was positioned facing towards him. “I’ve been cooped up with work that I haven’t even looked you in the eye-”

Enough, enough!” Jongin cut off from the other end. “You know I don’t like repeating myself. Best behaviour. When you get home we can quickly get changed and we’ll head off. Deal?”

Kyungsoo smiled. For a few seconds his heart and mind were at ease. He hadn’t cracked a smile for the entire day. Living to deal with crying clients was a crap job; there was nothing to laugh at. Every time Kyungsoo cracked a smile was so much more precious. With no intention to abandon the family business, he learnt to savour happiness when it came along.

“Okay,” he answered simply as he followed the traffic officer’s sweeping arm motion.

“I’ll see you at home, drive safely owl face.”

“I will, see you soon.”

 

---

 

When Kyungsoo came home it was already half past six. Their reservation was at 7. Jongin watched his boyfriend rushed into the room, scrambling to open the inbuilt wardrobe’s doors. It was quite a joy to see him a tad flustered, Jongin was getting bored of the emotionless piece of crap he’d be getting for the last few months. Not that his partner was a piece of crap, goodness no. He was far from it. Kyungsoo was the best thing that had ever happened to him other than being born.

“What should I wear? Should I go for a classy or a more modern look?”

Jongin walked over slowly with the biggest grin on his face. Standing behind the older, he wrapped his arms around the little figure that stood before him, daring to his jacket.

“I’m not sure…” he whispered over the man’s left ear, slowly peeling away the article of clothing that rested on his upper body.

Shivers were sent down Kyungsoo’s spine as the garment was discarded on the floor. He could feel his heart rate beginning to increase under the plain white dress shirt he now sported. It didn’t take long for the other to return for more. Before Kyungsoo could mentally prepare himself, Jongin’s hands had breached the hem of his pants. Dipping his fingertips below the older one’s belt, he skilfully the other’s sides, pulling the white fabric out of its position. With the sides out, he then continued on, lifting Kyungsoo’s dress shirt out from front to back until it was completely out.

“Jongin, what are you doing?” Kyungsoo asked, clearly giving him a warning.

“Since you’re taking your time and still looking I figured I could speed up the process. You’re going to change so I figured I’d help you get out of your working gear…” he answered, replacing his arms around his lover. The younger’s voice was abnormally high and sweet. Kyungsoo could tell something was up. He didn’t want to open that can of worms though; it would create hell for them. They’re already going to be late for their reservation. He needed to choose an outfit and change – quick.

Reaching across and into the wardrobe that wasn’t his, Jongin pulled out the untouched black tuxedo hanging in a full set.

“I think you should wear this. I like this.”

Kyungsoo looked at the set, wondering how long it had been sitting there. He hadn’t touched it since his older brother got married two years ago. Kyungsoo wondered if he could still fit it, but there was only one way to find out.

“Let me go, I need to change.”

“What if I help you?”

That earned him a swat on the shoulder from the shorter man. Jongin whined like a little puppy and retreated to the door. Still holding the door ajar, he played the peeping tom. Kyungsoo shot him a look and he chuckled before standing upright and taking one last look at the older.

“I’ll start the car then.”

Kyungsoo kept his poker face on until the door shut with a click. Looking back down at the tuxedo that was picked out for him, he smiled while shaking his head slowly. Was this really the man he had fallen in love with? Was Kyungsoo glad or was he just glad? For the man who had just left the room gave him a reason to get through every day. The actions may have been small, and on the surface it may have appeared to have annoyed him, but he loved it. He needed someone to pull him away from the cold world he lived in every day. He spent at years of his life in starvation… and not that for food. Kyungsoo craved love. And his hunger for love was by far much more difficult to fill than it was for bread. But Jongin had been able to fill it. Jongin made him feel whole. Like he existed for a reason – like there really was something good at the end of the rainbow. Kyungsoo considered himself a lucky man indeed.

 

---

 

Jongin circled the city parking lot twice before he found a spot. Kyungsoo had fallen asleep on the way and Jongin wasn’t entirely sure if he really wanted to wake him up or not. Car parked and engine off, the younger savoured the image of his napping partner. Jongin just had to take a quick snapshot of his boyfriend knocked out in the passenger seat. Although he wasn’t particularly sentimental, tonight was a bit different. They hadn’t properly spent time together in a while and he wanted to have something to remind him of this particular evening. The flash gave a rather loud clicking noise as the light beamed into the older boy’s face, making him jolt. Oops.

“Hmm..? What?” Kyungsoo answered without being asked.

Jongin efficiently slid his phone into the pocket of his tuxedo with a slight curve of his lips.

“I said we’re here,” he fibbed before unbuckling the seatbelt which was still over his body. He leaned over to the passenger side and unbuckled his Sleeping Beauty’s one as well. Kyungsoo gave a small whine as the belt retracted past his jacket, stopping at his elbow.

“I can do it myself… I’m not a baby.” he said, giving a slightly unsatisfied pout.

Jongin couldn’t resist. He had already been suppressing his urges from the when they were in the bedroom when the older was about to change. Jongin speedily pressed his lips against Kyungsoo’s. To his surprise, the other didn’t say a thing as he slowly drew back; instead giving a few sleepy bats of those precious lashes.

“I’ll get your door.”

By the time they were seated Kyungsoo had returned somewhat closer to his original self, and for an evening, time had reverted in the favour of Jongin. Kyungsoo had forgotten about the death of his father, instead enjoying himself as he should. As he deserved to be. The table they shared had been positioned right by the glass, spoiling the pair with an exquisite view of Seoul’s city lights. With a satisfied stomach, Kyungsoo leaned his right elbow on the clear table, feasting his eyes on the evening charm of the city. The background melody deriving from the pianist left Kyungsoo smiling in a moment of thought-free bliss. Not a single matter could bother him. Not a single thing could make him lose his calm.

From the corner of his eye, Jongin saw the waiter walking up to him with a glass of champagne. Kyungsoo also noticed, gradually shifting his gaze to the younger’s direction.

“Champagne, Mr Do Kyungsoo?” voiced the caramel blonde waiter, flashing a dorky smile.

The older tilted his head to the side, curious as to why Jongin had been served champagne by a waiter addressing his name. He observed as the other merely gave a polite wave of his hand, gesturing back to him. The waiter brought the glass to him, setting it on the table before taking his leave.

“That’s odd…” Kyungsoo commented before softly grasping on to the bottom of the glass.

His heart jolted as he saw some inanimate object that was definitely not part of his finger. Kyungsoo had to blink several times before he could confirm what his eyes were processing, because on the base of his champagne glass lingered a small rounded item he’d only ever dreamed of receiving.

By the time he had looked up, Jongin had already positioned himself on the floor, kneeling with one of his knees propped up. Gently, but tenderly, the younger took the hand of what he would call - his most cherished gift in the world.

Kyungsoo's breathing hitched.

“My precious Do Kyungsoo, you are my treasure – my life. I cannot imagine living the future without you. You’ve stuck by me through thick, through thin… through drunk through sober.”

Kyungsoo let out a small laugh. He'd already begun to sweat from his palms. His heart rate had spiked significantly, and the cardiac muscle was ramming hard against his ribcage.

“Will you – Do Kyungsoo, do me the honour of making me the luckiest man to have ever walked this Earth? Will you be my one and only husband until death claims us both?”

As Jongin finished the last of his words, tears began welling up in the older ones eyes. Kyungsoo wondered if he was just dreaming. His chest was tight, his ears and neck burning. Many a time he had imagined of how he’d propose. He had imagined he’d be getting on one knee, to the woman of his dreams in their favourite, most frequently visited location. And yet here he was – his imagination serving him as well as a jar of dirt. Jongin was kneeling in front of him, hands overheating to the point of perspiration. His eyes sparkled in the warm lighting, lips more plush than ever – if that was even possible. Right in this moment, Jongin was the most beautiful thing Kyungsoo had ever laid his pathetic eyes on.

“Yes… Yes, I will…!” he squeaked before breaking into a combination of tears and laughter.

Joy spread through every single cell of Jongin’s body, a smile instantly revealing itself against his olive complexion. His new fiancé collapsed onto him, and Jongin embraced him securely. He could hear the laughing sobs on his right ear and when they parted Jongin aided the older up. The jeweller planted a deep kiss onto his companion’s lips, satisfaction increasing as the other wrapped his arm around his neck and they began swaying in sync. Kyungsoo broke off, staring the taller right into his steady eyes.

“You said I’ll make you the luckiest man on this earth… I don’t think that’s true. I’m pretty sure that I’m the luckier one.” He admitted.

Jongin lowered his forehead onto Kyungsoo’s, their noses brushing slightly.

“We’ll see about that…”

 

 

 

 

 

Omg if you're not not pleased feel free to shoot me and bury my corpse in the Australian Outback. LOL Criticism is prized so please leave comments and all ;-; Thank you to those who managed to survive to the end of this horrible trash which I dare call a 'oneshot'.