Wedding Dress

Childhood Promise
 


 

16 years had been passed since then, but Donghae still remembered their childhood promise. Always, as he never forgot it. It wasn’t just words. He wasn’t kidding at that time. Even he said it when he was 10 years old, his promise would remain a promise. He had to fulfill it, though he wasn’t sure if she also remembered it.

The rhythm of his beating heart even unchanged. Fast, every time he saw her. In the park where he made his childhood promise with her, Yoona stood elegantly in front of him. He was so crazily nervous when she told him to meet. His heart skipped a beat when she said she wanted to say something. Those feeling always remained the same, yet his love towards her remained untold. 

She had grown up. He knew Yoona already turned into a lady. A beautiful lady. Yet she never changed. Her doe eyes, her small lips, her alligator laugh, her cheerful and bright side. It was still there. She still attracted to him. He still adored her.

Then she greeted him and plastered a smile that he liked the most from her. Their closeness still remained. He was glad. Time and place didn’t separate them. They were still together, just as a best-childhood friend. But now, he wanted more. He wanted to change it. He wanted to cross that line even.

She had been waiting for him to talk first. But he was too nervous to say a word. His heart told him that this was the right time to remind her –if she didn’t remember. He was sure that he wanted to fulfill their past promise now. Unfortunately, he was out of words.

In their deep silence, Yoona was thinking of something. Her cheeks suddenly turned pink. He caught it. He hoped it was because she remembered their promise in the past, or at least was thinking about it. But he blamed his thought more for imagining that she would talk about it. It probably true, but it could be a total wrong too.

“Can you do something for me, Oppa?” she spoke. The tone of her voice was still sweet. Nothing had really changed from her. He liked it.

“O-Of course, Yoona”

“Really?”

“Yes. Why not? You’re like…” bestfriend. Those words almost rolled out from his mouth. But he realized their relationship was more than that. He knew Yoona considered it more as well. Didn’t want to disappoint her, he ended up saying “… my sister for me. I will be so happy to help you. What I can do for you, Yoong?”

A weak smile soon appeared on her face. But her cheeks turned redder. Her face seemed brighten. He still hoped it was related with his promise that a must to be fulfilled. He wished she still kept it.

“O-oppa” she called shyly “Ca-can you introduce me to your friend, Siwon?”

But he was completely wrong. She wanted to break it.

“I think… I fall in love with him”

And the promise remained silent.

***

He loved her. He wanted her to be happy. And if seeing her together with his friend brought her happiness then he will let it be. The time when Yoona told him to introduce her to Siwon, a bitter smile appeared on his face. He didn’t know what to do but faked a happy expression when Yoona talked about his best colleague, Siwon. How she liked his charming figure. How she adored his handsome face. How soft and gentle his voice when talked. He thought she was just interested in him, but apparently she wanted more.

He introduced her though. What else he could do anyway. It wasn’t because he was too coward to tell his feeling. But she just seemed so happy. She obviously liked his friend. Siwon looked perfect in her eyes, and it made him feel that he was nothing for her. She complemented about Siwon a lot, in front of him. It surely hurt him, yet he still helped her. Way too far. Siwon liked her back and they finally went to date.

He was sincere though his heart in the deepest pain. His smile was sad every time he saw the girl he loved with his friend. Soul and mind went away when Yoona finally had Siwon as her boyfriend. As time passed by, his heart had no shape. His feelings died in her happiness. His heart was burning in pain. But in front of her, he still managed to look fine. Thousand times pretending for her. Because he knew, he loved her but didn’t mean he had to have her. Love was about sacrifice, right? And seeing Yoona was so happy with lots of smile, was enough for him. Donghae never once regretted what he had done.

But he obviously tried to avoid her. After his love life had slumped, Donghae preferred spending most of his time somewhere outside than in his home. Recently, although his work was done, he just kept busying himself doing other useless things. Being at home, where Yoona was his close neighbor and he often saw Siwon at her residence, was not something he wanted to see.

After spending so much time in the office, Donghae went home. But then, he was shocked by Yoona‘s presence on the porch with her simple clothes that still made her beautiful as usual. Her eyes were sparkling when she saw Donghae out of his car and approached her.

“Yoona, what are you doing here?” he frowned.

“I’ve been waiting for you, Oppa” she checked her watch. 23:45. She sighed “Are you always back home this late?”

“I had a lot of work to do, and what are you doing at this time, you better come home now”

“Aigoo, are you trying to shoo me away? My home is just right beside yours, Oppa. You should’ve told me to come in instead. It’s cold here”

His heart jumped up a little. How he wanted to hug her that time, to give her warmness. But part of him felt he couldn’t do it like he used to “You know it’s cold. Then why are you still here?”

“Because I have something to tell you” the tone of her bright voice changed to soft and firm. But her head was down, hiding her nervousness. “I want to thank you for everything, Oppa. Thank you for taking care of me since I was kid. Thank you for being very nice and so patience for my naughtiness and…”

She was talking so serious. He cut her “Yoong…”

Yoona stopped talking. Lifting her head up to response his call, she then looked at him.

“Are you sleepy now?” teased Donghae happily, earning a light slap on the chest from her after then.

“Aish, why are you like that Oppa. I’m serious”

A chuckle left his voice. “Mianhae. But why are you suddenly thanking me. And don’t say it too serious. That’s so weird”

Her lips curved to top. She was glad he remained the same. This moment was what she missed lately, moreover his stupid teasing “Oppa, you still think of me as your sister, right?”

His expression then changed. How he wished he could deny it right away, because he actually always thought about her more than that. Wanted to tell her the truth, that he wished her to be his wife. Not her sister. But once again, he reminded himself that it wasn’t a proper confession for her to be known. He had to lie.

“Of course Yoong, don’t worry about that. You will always be my little deer sister forever” he patted her head.

“G-good then” she flashed a smile “Because…” but the words suddenly stopped in . Soon, silence filled the atmosphere between them.

“Because what Yoona?” he looked at her deeply, expecting something.

“Be-because I want you to be the first one to know that…” her eyes fixed on him. Her doe eyes were firm. She took a deep breath before saying “I will marry Siwon two weeks later. And I want you to come, Oppa”

 

“Do you promise?”

“Of course, I promise. Once I make a promise, I will always keep it. I will never break it”

And their little pinkie crossed.

 

She lied. The promise had completely broken. His dream totally collapsed, breaking his heart. The news about her getting married choked his breath. Wound in his heart she scratched, widened. His world, Yoona, would marry with his best friend. He should’ve felt happy about it, or at least pretended to be. But he couldn’t handle the hurt he got, nor even fake his expression for her again. Too much pain. This was his limit.

The worst feeling came to him. Blacking out, like getting heart attack. His expression was clearly bitter. Donghae rushed into his house without words. Leaving her alone as he closed the door. Donghae leaned weakly on it. Completely ignoring her presence out there. His manly tears suddenly escaped from his eyes. Finally realized that he was doing something wrong all this time. And if there was someone he wanted to hate, to blame now. Then it was himself. He shouldn’t have introduced her to Siwon. No, he shouldn’t have often brought Siwon to his house. So, Yoona wouldn’t have seen Siwon at the first place. All was his fault. Now he totally regretted it. But time couldn’t back to change everything.

 

***

 

In the dressing room Yoona was ready. The white long dress without sleeve made her stunning. Perfectly beauty. Her make up and hair had done. She just let her brown wave hair loose and wasn’t even wearing a thick make-up. Simple. Yet she was perfect with that touch.

Everything had been prepared well. The wedding would be held in the church near her house. Siwon made everything expensive. He helped Yoona took care of everything materially. He wanted to be perfect at anything in their wedding day. And nothing went wrong so far. The preparation went smoothly. Yoona seemed happy.

It was normal if Yoona felt nervous yet so excited at the same time in her wedding day. But something bothered her more. Something that was lack in her wedding day. Donghae's presence. The figure that she waited the most, hadn’t come yet. Yoona was waiting for him all the time. Donghae was still nowhere since 2 days ago. He wasn’t in his home when her wedding day was near. Yoona couldn’t feel complete without him, just kept pacing back and forth in her room worrying about him instead of herself. She wanted him to be there for her. She needed him.

Yoona had been thousand times calling him, but the operator was always the one who answered it. Yoona couldn’t remain calm if she didn’t see him. She never could.

Her stylist, Yuri, suddenly knocked the door, and then came to her room as she was holding an envelope and flower in her hand.

“Yoona-ya, you have gifts”

She stared at the things Yuri held before receiving it “From?”

“I don’t know, I found on the table in front”

Yoona took the flower and the pink envelope doubtfully from her. Her mind wondered deeply who knew about her favorite flower –baby breath. There was no information about the sender in that envelope unfortunately. But her name was clearly written neatly by hand on the pink material that had baby breath flower’s scent. She then opened it when Yuri left her alone in that dressing room.

 

To: Yoona

Congratulation for your wedding

 

She read the first sentence. She thought it must be from her friend who couldn’t attend.

 

As our promise had been broken.

It doesn’t matter. You probably forget it though.

 

The two lines totally confused her. She continued to read it.

 

You must be happy now with Siwon.

And if you believe that you belong with him,

Promise me, you won’t let him or anyone hurt you.

Remember, I will always be there for you…

Even if it kills me to see you in that wedding dress

 

Please don’t break our promise again. Please keep that one.

Ps: 3105. I never forget it.

 

The words finished. Her heart was trembling. Her tears ruined her make up already. She knew it was from him, from Donghae.

***

She was in the altar already, together with her future husband and priest. But she was still busy looking for someone’s figure before the nuptials began. She still hoped Donghae would come. She still wanted to see him.

Yoona tried to scan every single person around, searching for him within her family, Siwon’s family and friends. But he wasn’t there. A disappointment soon printed on her face.

Until the nuptials began, Yoona’s mind still couldn’t focus at all of what the priest said beside her. Siwon was facing her, holding her hands firmly. She knew, he was so nervous about the wedding now. But she blamed herself for still worrying someone else.

Where are you Oppa?

Then someone appeared in the middle of nuptials progress. Someone who was wearing a tuxedo, who was so charming, so stunningly handsome. He was the figure Yoona wanted to see the most. Donghae was standing right in front of church’s door, leaning on it as his arms crossed before his chest while the priest was reading the promise of marriage. Donghae heard it clearly like a curse for him. Oh, how much he wished it was him who standing there with her. He thought that it should be him.

And she caught him, in the corner of her eyes. He was so far from her, but she could recognize him very well. Yoona turned her gaze towards the guy she had been waiting for all the time. Their eyes finally met. She released a relief sigh. He flashed a small smile to her. But she knew it was the fake one.

She couldn’t control her happiness at that time. All her anxious feeling faded away, the good one finally came. Not because she heard Siwon’s vow. But it was because his presence in there. Her eyes didn’t even look at her future husband in front of her right now. It was still glued at Donghae. She was too afraid to lose him again. Oh, how she wanted to run to him and hug him tightly now. Yet everything held her to do so. It would be wrong, she knew she couldn’t.

“Im Yoona” the priest then disturbed her. Tearing her gaze on him “Do you take Choi Siwon as your lawful husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?”

And everyone waited her to say it. Siwon wanted to hear her vow very soon, so then she would be officially his wife. But she looked confused instead. Something was going on in her mind. Her thought wasn’t clear at all. Donghae’s face clouded her mind. Their childhood moment came across. She then turned her head to the door, to see him again. But Donghae wasn’t there anymore. He already left. And she couldn’t relax at all. She was in the deep thought, thinking of something worst.

She remained silent, and the priest repeated his words. “Im Yoona-ssi, do you take Choi Siwon as your lawful husband, to have and to hold, from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer or for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and cherish until death do you part?"

***

Donghae really hated where he was standing now, in the memorable park of his happiness and sadness. It was the place where he first made his promise, but ironically it was also the place where the main role broke it. He looked around, at the swing where he always played with her and at the garden where Yoona took care all of the flowers. He still remembered their childhood moment in there, when he usually messed around with her, laugh and play, fuss and fight. She was still innocent at that time, but his love had grown deeply towards her. He was thinking back to the old times, when she was his beating heart that he couldn’t control. But that chapter was done as the story went on. And he had to move on.

Donghae could only consider himself as a fool. He was so stupid. He looked so pathetic. Love wasn’t about sacrifice, it was so bull. No one told him that sacrificing his heart would be that painful. It was so hurt like hell. He should’ve known that love was about fighting for girl he loved. But time mocked at him. It was too late to fight for her again. She had become someone’s wife.

He could only bemoan of everything. He could only imagine himself marrying her. His dream to become her groom, to say that vow, to live forever with her, to enjoy her beauty in wedding dress, to be her husband, had vanished. The scene of the priest reading her vow crushed it. It was all become his mirage now.

And their promise was one of bull things he wanted to laugh at. He should’ve known that it was just words, a stupid childhood promise that she never even remembered. He was a fool for wishing she would never break it, for thinking he could fulfill it.

“Oppa” and a sudden familiar female voice dismissed his thought.

He turned around to see the owner of that sweet voice. Then everything felt like flashback. Nostalgia came over when he found a beautiful lady with her wedding dress. But this time tears were all over Yoona’s face.

“Yo-Yoona” her presence choked tight his throat, bringing him back to their past memory. 

She stepped towards her as she lifted her dress. Donghae was still in daze. This was surprised him more than anything. And she was now standing right in front of him. Her expression was unreadable.

“Yo-Yoona Wh-what are yo-”

Then she slapped him hard before he could even finish his sentence.

“Pabo ya?” she cried loud “Who says that I forget our promise?”

Her words piercing his mind. He couldn't get it. “What d-do you mean?”

“You're the one who break our promise”

“What? No I didn’t, it’s you” he protested. "Wait? You remember it?

“Of course I remember it. I always remember your promise" her tears fell like river "I always think that you will fulfill it someday. I always wish you will talk about that again”

His eyes opened wide. He couldn’t even feel the pain in his left cheek she slapped. She did remember and he was totally wrong. It was like the time had stopped. His heart almost fell out. 

“I was about to remind you about that promise in the park” she explained in her cries “But then you said I’m like your sister. You draw the line between us. Don’t you know that it’s breaking my heart? You break everything. What kind of guy who will marry his sister. Pabo yaaa?” she shouted out loud. Frustrated with him already, she hit his chest hard.

He remained silent. Everything started to clear. The truth was revealed, and Donghae really had no respond for it. He thought she was joking. This surely frightened him. 

“And when I told you to introduce me to Siwon, why did you really do it? If you want to marry me you shouldn't have done that”

“I-I…” he lost in her explanation.

“I still waited for you about our promise the day when I wanted to tell you about my marriage. I really wished you will against it. But then again you still think of me as your sister. I even waited for you to take me away in the altar, in my wedding. I still wait for you”   

“Wh-what? I thought you really liked him Yoona”

“Why are you so stupid? I was just pretending Oppa. Even your dog knows it. I faked my expression, my smile and my feeling all this time. How could you don’t know that?” yelled her, almost out of voice.

Her feeling now was in total sore, so exhausted. She was so disappointed at him. She then fell on her knees as she covered her face with her palm. Yoona cried out loud again, as Donghae finally could understand. That truth was enough to shutting down his mind. Yes, he was an idiot all this time.

“I-I’m S-Sorry. Yoona” Donghae squatted, matching his level with her “I’m Sorry”

Then no one talked after that. He had no words to say anything. She was too tired to continue explaining. Until Yoona finally dared herself to see his eyes. Although she knew she looked as pathetic as her heart right now. But she was still sure that seeing his eyes would calm her down.

“Why are you still cruel to me, Oppa?” she asked slowly, sobbing filled her voice.

He looked up at her. Donghae really didn’t have a proper expression to respond all of this sick crazy truth. He didn’t know whether he had to joy in happiness that she actually remembered, or kept regretting everything. Telling him the truth right now was useless. He would be wrong enough to fell so happy. She already belonged with someone else though.

Donghae then present her his bitter weak smile. “I’m really sorry, Yoona” he caressed softly her cheek.

“You really make me so embarrassed now” Donghae frowned at her statement. “I run away from my marriage before I say my vow” she chuckled low. She thought it was so stupid and reckless now. “I left Siwon Oppa, my family and the priest there just to chase you here. What will they think about me now? You have to do something for me then!”

And his heart blooming like flower, his sad gaze turned bright. She fulfilled her promise. That was enough to heal all the unbearable pain he felt, to settle the pieces of his breaking heart. This wasn’t too late.  

“Do something?” he thought, his mouth soon curved to top “I will marry you then”

And they knew that no one actually broke it, as their childhood promise finally fulfilled.   



 

This story inspired by Wedding Dress song hehe.

I know I should've updated BWW instead of making a new one. Because i haven't found my muse to continue it yet. But don't worry i will update it for sure. Thanks for your support.