II

The Haksaeng & The Chaebol

The next day and I come out of my room after having a warm shower and wearing the school clothes prepared for me, their smart with a white shirt, navy sweater, red blazer and tartan skirt with the same colours in the pattern. I pat myself down to look clean almost and then head out and stop by the library door… who even has a library in their house? Must be small… my hand rises up and grasps the handle I wiggle it and the door opens revealing the huge two floored library. “Woah…” I walk in and look around seeing that they have practically every Korean, English and Japanese book in the world. “This is amazing.” I pick out a couple and flick through then realise the bindings are almost broke on them all. “Someone loves to read in this house.”

“You’re going to be late for school.” A voice says from the second level. I look up and see Howon holding an open book with a blank expression. “That’ll for you.”

“If I’m going to be late, so will you?” I question.

He closes his book and puts in on the table by the ladder, he climbs down and says. “No, I have special transport to school.” He comes close to my face and I end up pushed against a bookcase. “But you on the other hand, have about 30 minutes to eat and get to school… our school is about 40 minutes away by car.” I feel his breath on my face then he stands back and leaves the library. “Good luck with that Haksaeng.”

“Yah Chaebol!” I shout then I look at the book in my hand with the broken binding… “Don’t tell me he’s the one who reads this…” Then I shake my head and put the book back onto the shelf. “No way.” I look at my watch and realise I really will be late for school, now I’m running from the library to the kitchen… where ever that is.

 

I’m on my way to school with Mr. Jang. He’s quickly preparing my books and class schedule whilst driving. “You’re in class 1-A, congratulations you placed 2nd in the year for the entrance exams.” I nod and take the paper from his hand. I look at the schedule; most of these lessons would be rolled into one back at home. Chemistry, biology and physics used to be taught as one combined subject? English, Japanese and Chinese basic language classes… there’s options to take French, Spanish, German, Swiss and practically every language in the world… who would even have that much time with the basic lesson schedule… I don’t think I’ll have time to eat or sleep! Let alone add extra subjects. “Oh, Miss Min you’re also required to take an extracurricular activity.” He smiles into the wind mirror. “A sport usually is nice to get away from the studying and what not-“

I pout and think out loud. “When do I have time to play a sport?”

“Think about picking something with a lot of energy, it’ll make it easier.” Mr. Jang concludes.

I nod to him and say. “Okay, I used to play tennis back home with—“ No I won’t say his name, because he’s a good memory I wanted to keep in Damyang. “…friends.”

He smiles. “Young master Sungkyu plays tennis at his university… maybe you could play together sometime.”

“Really, hopefully we can.” I answer.

“And young master Howon plays basketball, baseball and is a member of the track team.” Mr. Jang says with a big grin. “He’s very athletic.”

I scoff. “I bet he is…”

Mr. Jang smirks but doesn’t answer instead he just carries on driving and when we arrive at the huge school I’m drawn back, it looks like the posh place from that manga ‘Ouran High School Host Club’! “Wow… this place is huge.”

“You have to hurry Miss Min you’re already late.” Mr. Jang says passing my backpack. Another little gift I found from my sponsor thing morning, I take it and run towards the doors then I see a sign reading ‘First Year Classes’. I follow it and am met with class 1-A in a matter of seconds. I fall through the door and see the whole class staring at me… and a teacher with a stern expression.

“You must be our 2nd placer.” The class all exchange glances. “Welcome, sit there.” She points to an empty seat and I walk towards it, bowing and apologising at the same time.

I take my seat and then hear a cough from the left side of me, I look up and I’m blinded by the sun, then after adjusting my eyes I see Howon staring at me with a smirk. “I see you truly were late.”

“I thought you didn’t want to socialise with me.” I answer.

He looks away and says cockily. “I don’t, don’t talk to me during school time. Just wanted to let you know I’m better than you… I win.”

“Is everything a competition?” I say with a sour tone.

The teacher slaps her hand on my desk and says. “What was your name again?”

I stand up and say loudly. “I’m Min. Nam. Joo.”

“Oh, yeah… one of our sponsorship students, right?”

The class start to scoff and I notice the designer handbags, well done manicures and perfectly styled hair. “That’s right.”

“It’s amazing how you got 2nd. Where were you from again?”

“Damyang.” I answer.

The class start to whisper about bamboo and suddenly I’m labelled bamboo girl.

“Whose family are you staying with?” Howon looks up to me and asks.

I look away and say. “I haven’t met my sponsor, I live alone.”

He nods and then when the teacher looks away he winks at me. “Nice work Haksaeng.”

“Chaebol, you do know you’re a Haksaeng too.” I say in a whisper and then carry on taking notes from what the teacher writes on the board.

 

By second period we’re taken to a ‘welcoming’ assembly. I walk in and sit down next to Howon again since I’m student number 12 and he’s number 11. The principal gets up and says. “Welcome to our school, although we know most of your faces it’s still like a fresh new chapter in your books of lives. I hope you act more mature now you’re in High School.”

Everyone kinda giggles it off then he introduces the ‘Number 1’ in the school.

“So… to give a speech, the student who had ranked 1st since elementary school, Lee Howon.”

Girls start screaming, guys start cheering and teachers even clap. That mean is 1st place? I’m 2nd to him! I bite my lip and say under my breath. “I must win.”