Episode 4

Heirs (Recap)

Episode 4

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-00h15m09s228

ES walks into airport to see R hugging T. She turns to leave, but Tan sees her and calls out to her. “Cha Eun Sang, stop right there.”

Eun Sang turns around. T says bye to R, and walks over to ES, R completely forgotten now. T yells at ES for not calling. He wants her number from her. ES looks at R. She says to T that she thanked him and already said bye so don’t leave his fiancé like that to ask her something like that. ES walks past T and R. R looks at T, realizing more how much T likes ES already.

Inside the plane, R goes to E who is filling out the entry form. R is waiting for ES to finishing filling out the form. R says to ES that she is getting a sad hunch that they will see each other again. ES says they will not. R says, “You’re saying that because you don’t know Tan. If something sad happens, I think I will want to see you first. But I don’t know anything about you. R takes the form which has ES’s info.

The stewardess won’t let ES go to the front of the plane where R is sitting to get back her entry form.

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-00h17m37s174

YD is waiting for R at the airport, holding a sarcastic sign welcoming his “stepsister.” The two fight, both unhappy to see each other. Woobin is pretty awesome here as YD. I love his facial expression and the air of disdain, anger, and pride he gives off.

ES has arrived in Korea too.

Inside car, YD and R fight over the music playing.  R says, “You must be dying to know about Tan. He is doing well.” She says Tan asked if YD is doing well too so she told him that YD is living well as usual, and as evil as usual- “like the fox acting like he  the king in the cave lacking its tiger.” YD gets mad at R’s implication that he is the fox and Tan is the tiger. He says to R, “Did you ever wonder why the tiger is not in his cave? Perhaps it was pretending to be a tiger too. That perhaps it ran away scared it might be found out that he is not really a tiger.” Ooh, I love this allegory. R doesn’t really get what YD is talking about. YD leaves the car, clearly still very sensitive to the mention of Tan.

ES is back home. There is no one there or any furniture. Landowner tells ES that her mom packed up to live as the inhouse maid. ES asks for a cellphone to call her mom.

Mom tells ES to stay a sauna place since the master of the house is not feeling well.  “Come tomorrow to the house.” ES sits alone in the dark, empty house.

Tan checks if ES has updated her status. She hasn’t. He looks at her picture and sighs.

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-00h32m32s163

Hyun Joo is being told to not show any skin or perfume or manicure when she is tutoring Hyo Shin.

HS asks if HJ doesn’t get mad at his family’s rules. HJ says yes but she is getting paid well and she needs the money.

HS comments that he likes all the things that his mom told her not to wear, like shorts, skirts, perfume, and manicure. HJ says she likes them too, but she won’t wear them since the person who pays is always right.

HJ gets a call from Won. HS asks why she isn’t picking up the phone and if it is her boyfriend. She doesn’t answer him.

Won asks for a necklace, not ring, at the jewelers. He likes the wishbone necklace. Oh my, Choi Jin Hyuk’s voice makes me melt. 

ES finds out her mom took out the deposit for their house to give to the sister. Sister called to confess that the marriage was fake and apologize. ES is angry mom didn’t yell at sister, but mom says, “How am I supposed to while tapping on the phone?” She slaps ES for calling her sister names. Mom tells ES to wait outside while she goes inside. In the meantime JS comes home and notices ES.

Mom (HN) asks Ki Ae how the affair trap for JS is going. Mom is basically threatening KA to let her daughter stay at the house. Love their dynamic. HN knows how to work KA.

Mom instructs ES to change into clean clothes. They are going to live here from now on.

JS and KA are fighting. JS is mad that KA didn’t tell her about T’s dad being sick.  KA and JS argue with JS giving a jab at KS for not being on the family registry (only being a mistress) and JS gives one right back saying KS can’t have children.

JS says that both she and KA both don’t have children since Tan is not here by KA’s side anyway. KA says blood is thicker than water. JS slaps KA.

Won comes home so they stop fighting.

After Won is gone, KA says to JS, “You’re right. Blood is thicker but remember that Won, his dad, and Tan share blood. So let’s see how well T protects his mom against Won.”

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-00h40m54s65

ES brings medicine to Tan’s dad.  Won sees her standing in front of the door so he wordlessly motions her in. ES introduces herself to Tan’s dad as Hee Nam’s daughter. She leaves.

Won tells dad that he met Tan. But dad says that no one at the party talked about Tan, implying he knows that Won didn’t let Tan stay. “Free Tan from his exile.  Or I will. I know you were hurt, so in order to be fair, I looked away when you hurt Tan. But it has been going on for too long. This isn’t fair.” Won retorts, “Is the pain weighing the same fairness it your eyes?” Dad: “I didn’t hug Tan once because of you. I’m thinking I will regret it if it continues like this.” Won: “You make it sound like you raised me with love. Are you confident you will have no regrets regarding me?” Dad says he is not asking for Won’s opinion.

KA is wallowing in anger and self-pity, so she says to HN she is luck to be poor so she doesn’t have to experience things like this. No, wait, she takes that back. KA also remembers that Won said he went to the US.

KA wants to talk about Tan with Won. She is worried about Tan. Did he ask about her? Won asks, “You don’t have his number?” KA: “Won won’t pick up.” KA wants Won to let Tan come back. He is only 18. Won says “At 18, I was the heir to Jeguk and was a major stock holder.” KA starts to confess that she feels bad for being a bad mom to Tan. He tells her this is not a church. KA leaves saying she is Buddhist. Ha!

There is a photo of Won sitting at the same beach Tan is sitting in now. These scenes fade into one another, and Tan remembers what Won said to him at the farm, asking him if all he did was grow taller.

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-00h50m10s250

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-00h50m27s116

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-00h50m14s28

Mom (HN) explains to ES the complicated Kim family relationship. KA comes in and tell ES to not let anything about this house be known outside. KA says something mean about mom not being able to speak, but ES keeps her temper down and is nice and polite to KA, which is what HN wants.

ES finishes washing the dishes and finds her mom falling asleep ironing. ES tucks her mom in.

Next morning. ES has made herself at home. She give mom the souvenir from the US- the almonds. ES will work hard with her part time job, while mom eats a lot of the almonds, lose weight, find a rich guy, so they can leave this house.

ES cries and apologizes to mom for abandoning her. Mom just hugs ES, patting her on the back. She cries too and ES keeps apologizing.

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-00h57m34s85

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-00h57m30s39

ES works hard at the café and the chicken place. Tan looks at the Hollywood sign. At the university, he doesn’t see ES’s note on the bulletin board, which has been covered up by other notes. Poor Tan eats alone and poor Eun sang is working harder than ever to earn money.

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-00h59m42s76

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-00h59m43s94

ES calls CY to say she is going to pay him back. CY tells her he is coming back since vacation is about to be over.

KA wakes up. She says she hasn’t sleep well because she was worried about Tan. Dad says KA was snoring. He asks KA if Tan wants to come back. KA points out that Tan didn’t  want to leave for the U.S. in the first place. Dad hints that he would like to have both Tan and Won here. Ka gets the hint and sees it as permission for Tan to come back. She wants Dad to fend off Won’s disapproval. Dad says it’s better if Tan doesn’t come if he can’t come back because he is afraid of his brother.

KA calls Tan. Tan doesn’t answer. Voiceover- “I always imagined about the people who are lonely because I exist. I wished that those people felt lonely because I wasn’t there.” To his imagination of his aging father, “I want to come home, dad.” To his pathetic mother, “I miss you, mom.” To the image of his brother forever imprinted in his mind, “I want to believe that you felt pain deeply at least once after sending me away like that.” Tan calls Secretary Yoon. Gah, I want to cry.

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h05m36s39

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h05m31s238

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h07m39s247

Tan gives his professor his essay book. Thanks him and bye! Tan wrote in his book “One who wants to wear the crown, bear the crown.” Does anyone else think the person who wrote the script is actually a girl? It looks like a girl’s handwriting.

Tan is in Korea. Secretary Yoon has come to greet him.  Yoon says Tan grew tall. Says KA called four times. Also, his dad will be happy to see him. Tan says he will go see Won first.

Won is surprised to see Tan. First thing Won asks is how long Tan’s stay will be. Tan says he is here to stay. He missed his family. Won calls him a whiner. Tan promises to just fool around here in Korea. He assures him that the things Won fears won’t happen Won says the things that he is worried about are not things a mere child of a mistress can say will or won’t happen. He says Tan threw away the chance Won gave him for them to have a good relationship.”You don’t want to go back? Then stay. What can I do to you since everyone is on your side.”

Outside, Won wants Yoon to find a hotel room for him. That man Choi Jin Hyuk does things to me. Guh. 

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h18m28s79

KA is happy to see Tan. Dad doesn’t look at Tan, and Tan looks disappointed. He just calmly and coldly tells Tan to sit.

Dad asks him about his house. Was it a nice place to live? Tan says his house was too big. It was too bright in the day and  too dark in the night. See, I told you that house was too big *weeps* Dad says in the dark you can see the stars better. Dad asks what Tan learned there. Tan says he just played around. Dad and mom look disappointed. Dad tells Won to just go rest now in his room.

Tan looks happy to be back in his room. KA comes in and she asks if he made a lot of blond friends. Tan replies, “Friends with large chests.” She asks, worried, “You didn’t touch drugs, did you?” Tan once again casually replies, “It is too expensive.” KA gives a sigh of relief. She asks about R, but Tan avoids the question.

The maid finds ES’s sock in Tan’s luggage and takes it to do laundry. Tan hangs up the dream catcher in his window.

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h27m12s196

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h27m16s241

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h27m23s46

ES sits outside. She takes a picture of the plane stub to upload onto her SNS account. She types, “Like there is no way to prove that I was in the dream yesterday, that place is like that for me too. Was I really there?” She and Tan stare at the sky.

Next day, Tan recognizes the sneakers hanging out to dry as familiar. He his head. Eating breakfast, he hears ES’s ringtone. He just misses seeing her, only catching her disappearing back. ES misses seeing Tan full on too, only learning that the second son is in the house.

At the crack of dawn, Mom tells ES to leave the house right now and not come home until dark since the mood in the house is bad, with Won not coming home. Dad is upset by that, which means KA is worse than usual.

Myung Soo runs into ES coming out of Tan’s door. Seems he was out partying with YD all night. MS wonders if Tan‘s family  moved.

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h35m57s73

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h35m54s36

At the convenience store, YD wait for his instant ramen to be ready. He sees ES, walking into the store with her eyes barely open, drinking the water and falling asleep outside. He takes his ramen outside to eat in front of her, curious.

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h37m14s68

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h37m31s246

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h37m50s173

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h37m55s228

Two little kids come nearby, fighting with each other. YD tells the kids that they are too loud, not wanting to wake up this strange being in front of him. Someone is sleeping here! The kids start to cry for mom so ES gets up and walks away, not even noticing  YD. YD says to the kids that they are making fun of him for not having a mom, as the kids are crying “MOM!” He used to have a mom like they do as that age.

MS comes back, and he jokes around with YD, asking him if he got hurt anywhere because of those kids. YD says “Heart” while he looks at Eun Sang’s disappearing figure.

BN is in the TV station, searching for her dad.  She runs into Kim Hee chul of Super Junior, making a cameo appearance in this drama as himself. He asks her if she like Heechul or Kyuhyun (another Super Junior member) better, to which BN replies she likes CY. Heechul asks if CY is her boyfriend or hostage. BN completely ignores Heechul after getting message from CY and seeing him here in Korea. The two argue about who missed each other more. Oh my god, these two are disgustingly sweet. BN: “Don’t go anywhere from now on.” CY: “Let’s go anywhere together from now on.” BN has forgotten all about looking for her dad since CY is here.

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h47m56s97

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h49m12s120

BN, CY, and dad eat together at CY’s house. CY and his dad make the dinner. I wish I was BN watching these two and getting fed by them. Sitting down to dinner,  CY teases dad about getting a girlfriend of his own.

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h51m06s202

Dad remarks that he knows CY met Tan in the US. CY casually talks about him, but BN is nervous, pretending she doesn’t know him. CY finds this cute.

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h53m16s222

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-01h53m20s3

Whining to MS, BN thinks CY might break up with her because he might know that she and Tan once dated. She tells that that CY and Tan met in the US. MS jokes that those two fell in love and that is why CY is breaking up with her. Pfft. BN wonders what Tan said to CY about her- “He definitely wouldn’t have forgotten about me. It seems like they fought physically too.” Ah, BN thinks way to highly about herself, and way too imaginative. She warns MS to not take the side of someone who is Rachel’s.

Tan hasn’t logged out of ES’s SNS account and he sees her new status update. He types, “You were really there. I can stand witness to that.” ES realizes it is Tan and texts him to log out of her account. The two text back and forth, Tan teasing ES about her healthy kidneys again. She calls his bluff, saying he should try to take them if can. Tan texts, “Tell me the truth. You really want me to appear, right?”

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-02h01m50s243

And fake out. They miss seeing each other. ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Tan wonders why ES has stopped texting back. She has come back after buying cheese. While waiting for Eun Sang’s reply, he sees HN wearing an “I love California” shirt.

KA is practicing English. ES has bought cheese for KA.  She notices KA wearing familiar socks. HN brings in the wrong wine, and KA asks if HN can’t use her eyes either. ES volunteers to bring the correct wine. KA says “Sure, you need to earn your keep.” HN wants to stop ES, but ES signs to HN that she has to earn her keep.

ES goes down into the wine cellar. She looks at the wine and sadly says,  “Even wine is living in luxury.”

Tan is outside still waiting for ES’s reply. Tan once again barely misses seeing ES, catching only her back again. Inside the house, he see a familiar silhouette. Tan tells mom he keeps seeing this young girl’s back.  KA says it is the maid’s daughter. Getting the name wrong, she says “Cha Eun Sung?” KA says the daughter came here after her sister took the money. Tan wonders if this is his ES,  remembering back to what he saw with ES’ sister. In his room, reading back to ES’s message about wanting Jeguk to go down, Tan texts ES “What are you doing right now? Answer now!”  ES finally answers. “I’m drinking water.”

Tan runs downstairs to the kitchen. He stops outside the door, unsure and his anticipation holding him back- what if it is really ES? Tan slowly opens the door, peeking in as Eun Sang’s figure is fully revealed. It is really Eun Sang.

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-02h11m56s154

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-02h12m03s226

Preview for Episode 6

Ji Sook to Tan: “You’re all grown now, kicking out your brother as soon as you arrive.”

Eun Sang to Rachel: “Don’t move.” She takes Rachel’s name tag. Rachel: “What are you doing? Are you crazy?” ES to R: “I’m taking your name tag. If you want to get it back, call me.”

Young Do to Eun Sang: “This is your number?”

YD to ES: “To get your number, I am even doing (I can’t understand Woobin. I think he is saying ‘I am even making a Euro transaction’).”

Tan: “Because I became interested.”

ES: “Right. So why?”

Tan: “Because you’re pretty.”

Tan: “You won’t leave my head!”

ES: “School or what not, let’s leave this room and not live hiding like we are sinners.”

YD: “I didn’t introduce you. Starting today, you are mine.”

Someone: In the school of satans, the lucifers have arrived.

Tan: “I missed you, friend.”

YD: “Welcome.”

vlcsnap-2013-10-18-00h00m15s254 vlcsnap-2013-10-18-00h00m15s244

[source:joonni]