Chapter 01

Love in the Palace

(Your POV)

 

"Okay, I guess this is all for today. Please do study the History of Architecture in the Renaissance period. You're all dismissed!"

 

Everyone cheered as our Professor, Ms. Oh left the room. Ugh, Finally! even though I love History and Architecture, I swear my and ears hurt during that 2 hours lecture!

I packed all my textbooks in my backpack and made my way outside the Lecture Hall.

 

Seoul University. 

 

Even saying the name of my current university sends warm fuzzy feelings to my heart. I can't help it. Ever since I was a kid i have always dreamed of studying here and after all the hard work i've been through during my High School years, It finally payed off!

Seoul University is widely known for its high standards and how high the quota is when they accept students. I was one of the lucky 100 students to got selected and the luckiest 20 students to have been offered a scholarship here.

Don't get me wrong, we don't have any genius genes in our side of the family. Appa always says that I got his hard working genes from him lol okay appa, whatever you say.

Well yes, I'm just hard working, I guess. 

 

"Chohee-ah! Yah!"

 

I awfully know where that voice belongs to. I turned around and saw a flailing Eunmi approaching me. I giggled at the sight of her.

Eunmi and I had been best friends since forever. Well, no doubt we would have become best friends since we're practically neighbors. Unlike me, Eunmi is indeed smart. She never really had to study to ace a test. I always complain how i'm always jealous of her but she always tells me that she's more jealous of me and my passion to always do good.

She's not in my department though. She's currently taking up Medicine because her umma had always dreamed of Eunmi being a doctor. Eunmi likes the idea of being a doctor anyways and she's really good in taking care of other people. 

When Eunmi finally approached me, she first held up her hand. signalling for me to wait for her because she was just catching her breath. I shook my head and laughed.

"What did you do anyway? You look like you've just been in a marathon or something!"

She glared at me finally let herself sigh.

"I ran here just so I could tell you that you should go ahead and go home without me."

I pouted, "Wae?"

"My Professor in Chemistry just announced that we need to stay a few extra hours so we could work on our new project.", She pouted too.

I gave her a small smile and nudged her towards her building.

"Arasso. Go. maybe your groupmates are looking for you already."

She gave me a sad smile also and hugged me.

"Mianhae, Chohee-ah. Tomorrow, let's go home together okay?"

I broke off the hug and I nodded with a smile, "Arasso. just text me. I'll get going now. Bye!"

"Bye!", She waved goodbye and made her way to her building.

I hunched my backpack forward and made my way home.

--------

"Umma! Appa! Baekho oppa! I'm home~"

I left my shoes at the shoe rack and entered our apartment. Our apartment isn't that big. It isn't too small either. It's just right but I still dreamed of having to own a house.

When I entered the living room. I gasped at the scene before me.

Appa was hugging Umma and Baekho Oppa sat closely to Appa. They were all looking down and Umma was obviously crying due to her loud sobs.

My gaze fell towards Mrs. Kang, who was shouting angry things at my family.

"You're all a bunch of pigs! I gave you a year to pay me your rent and where's your payment now?! If i don't get my money withing this month I swear, all of you will be kicked out arasso?!"

Umma nodded and she bowed towards Mrs. Kang who pushed her aside harshly. I clenched my fist tightly. No one harms my family like that. No one.

"Don't you even dare apologize to me! Give me your payment and i'll forgive you!"

Mrs. Kang finally made her way towards the door and for a second, she caught my gaze.

I grabbed her arm. She gasped.

"Don't worry, Mrs. Kang. We'll pay you this month. I just hoped you learn that treating people like dirt isn't worth the money. If you even analyze and compare my family and you, I think you're the one who deserves to be called a pig."

Mrs. Kang glared at me brushed my grip off harshly. She slammed the door.

After Mrs. Kang left, I quickly dropped my backpack on the couch and made my way to Umma who was crying non-stop.

"Umma... don't cry anymore. I'll find a job soon, I promise."

I hugged her and rubbed her back gently and soothingly. 

Because of what I said, she sobbed even more.

"Chohee-ah... Mianhae. Mianhae if Umma couldn't give you anything-"

"Umma, stop. I already told you-"

"Aniyo! I'm a bad mother who couldn't even provide to my own family..."

She sobbed on my shoulders and I just hugged her tightly. Appa couldn't even looked at me in the eye and Baekho oppa was looking at me with sad eyes.

"Gwaenchana... We'll solve this problem, soon. I promise."

--------

I can feel myself drifting off to sleep when suddenly, I could feel a weight on the right side of my bed. I turned to my right and saw Appa staring at me.

"Appa?"

I reached out to my bed side table and the lamp. The warm glow of the light highlighted Appa's gentle features. Despite the smile that he's showing me, his eyes were sad. I could read Appa like an open book.

"What's the problem, Appa?"

I sat straight on my bed and leaned my back towards the headboard of my bed.

Appa sighed, "Chohee-ah... I know it's been hard on you and your Baekho Oppa-"

I stopped him, "Appa."

"Chohee-ah... even if you and your Baekho Oppa always assures us that the two of you are okay, We know that you aren't. We couldn't even send the both of you to proper universities with our money... It was the both of you who gave yourselves the opportunity to study..."

Tears were suddenly threatening in the rims of my eyes. Appa was already crying.

I tried my best to say something but nothing came out. nothing.

Appa wiped the tears on his cheeks with the back of his hand and gave me another smile.

"The both of you deserve better, Chohee-ah. Maybe someday, God will give you a chance to live a happy life."

I couldn't help it. I let the tears roll down against my face. 

"Appa... I'm okay, really. We'll get through this, I swear..."

Appa nodded and held my hand.

"I know... You always did your best at everything... That's why I know you can do it..."

Appa wiped his tears again and finally stood up.

"You should sleep now. You still have classes tomorrow."

He smiled and couldn't contain the emotions any further, I sobbed and went into my Appa's arms.

"There, There Little Chohee-ah... stop crying now. I'm already tired from comforting your Umma a while ago."

I laughed at his statement and broke off the hug, "Arasso, Appa. Goodnight~"

He smiled and ruffled my hair, "Goodnight."

He tucked me into my blanket and as I closed my eyes, I could hear the sound of the door closing and feel myself drifting off to sleep.

 

(Minhyun's POV)

 

"MINHYUN-AH! HAVE YOU LOST YOUR MIND?! THIS IS THE 17th TUTOR THAT GAVE ME A RESIGNATION LETTER BECAUSE OF YOUR STUBBORN BEHAVIOR!"

Appa shouted across the Royal Hall and his voice boomed across the marball floors of the room.

Appa clenched his fist and glared at me.

"You dare present yourself in front of me and your Umma and tell us that you're still going to inherit the throne?!"

My expression remained hard. I didn't present myself to inherit the throne. If you've even asked, I don't want it.

Umma placed her hands into Appa's, "Yeobo-ah... Calm down. I'm sure we're going to find another-"

"No one in his right mind would even tutor our son!"

Umma sighed and looked at me with caring eyes. She signalled me to go. I bowed and made my way to my room.

 

(No One's POV)

 

"Manager Shin, can i ask you a favor?"

Manager Shin bowed, "What is it, your highness?"

The Queen sighed but smiled.

"I'd like you to find me one of the brightest students in Seoul University... I'd prefer someone near Minhyun's age."

Manager Shin nodded, "But Your Highness, are you going to hire a tutor for the Crown Prince in Seoul University?"

The Queen nodded, "Ne. Maybe if we hired someone of his age, he'll end up listening."

Manager Shin looked confused and befuddled but he still nodded.

"I understand, Your Highness."

The Queen smiled, "Kamsa Hamnida, Manager Shin. I need a new tutor by tomorrow."

Manager Shin nodded and bowed. 

"Arasso, Your Highness."

 

(Minhyun's POV)

 

The next morning...

 

"Wajang-nim, Your schedule for today would be, you have to do your daily duties with the Queen, after that, you have to attend a meeting with the joint chiefs and with the Prime Minister and-"

"You may leave now, Manager Shin."

Manager Shin was about to say something when he finally bowed and left the room.

I took a sip of my chamomile tea and placed it on the table. Everyday, It was always like this. The maids would wake me up at 8 in the morning, I'd have to look presentable for today. After that, I'll eat breakfast while Manager Shin tells me my schedule for the day. It's either I have to go out of the Palace or I have to study with my tutor.

The main reason why I'm always stubborn with my tutors is because I didn't want to study at home. I want to study like normal kids my age. I wanted to feel how to go to school but since Appa objected, I didn't have any other choice but to oblige to everything he says.

It was the only form of rebellion that i could muster up. Being stubborn to my tutors. Most of my tutors were diplomats but I really didn't care. I wanted to study at a real university.

 

"Minhyun-ah?"

 

I turned around and saw Umma making her way towards me.

She took the seat next to me and smiled.

"Minhyun-ah, I have something to tell you."

I turned my gaze at her, "Please hurry up and get to the point."

I grabbed a strawberry in the fruit tray and popped it into my mouth. I bit into the soft flesh of the strawberry and the burst of sweetness in my mouth was overwhelming.

"I already hired a new tutor for you. You'll meet your new tutor tonight. I wanted to tell you this beforehand because I thought you would like the idea of having a new friend."

I raised my eyebrows at my Umma who was beaming at me.

"Why would I make a new friend because of a tutor?"

Umma stood up from her seat.

"You'll see."

and then she left the room. leaving me dumbfounded and confused.

 

(Your POV)

 

"Ah Ottoke? How am i suppose to find a job?"

I sighed as I pouted and slumped on my seat. Eunmi looked at me like I was the saddest person ever.

"It's going to be okay, Chohee-ah.", Eunmi said as she patted my back lightly and took a sip of her chocolate milk.

It was lunch time and we always go to lunch together. We were at the university's garden.

I covered my face with the newspaper that I was holding. I was scanning the Clasified Ads section the whole morning and I still couldn't find any job that's taking a student like me!

"No, It's not going to be okay... I already looked for jobs everywhere and-"

"Yah Park Chohee!"

Eunmi grabbed both of my shoulders and made me face her. She looked really serious. I gulped.

"Don't you dare give up! The Park Chohee that I know doesn't give up and always does her best at everything so don't you dare tell me you're giving up!"

I slumped my shoulders and sighed, "Arasso... I'll just cut my classes for today and looked for jobs around Seoul."

Eunmi looked at me with eyes full of concern. I gave her a sad smile.

I stood up from my seat, "I'll get going now. Bye~"

I grabbed my backpack that was on the table and made my way to the Main Gate.

As i was walking through the lush gardens of Seoul University, A tall, well-built man who was dressed in an expensive tuxedo and had a badge on his chest that looked very familiar had blocked my way.

I blinked at the man.

"Park Chohee?"

My eyes widened. How does he know my name?! Is he a stalker?! Am i being followed?!

I gulped and managed to nod, "Waegurae?"

The man bowed, "I'm sorry for disturbing you but I come to you to the Royal Palace."

I raised my eyebrows, "Wae?"

The man pointed at his badge, "I am a representative of the Royal Family and the Royal Family is hiring you to be the Crown Prince's tutor."

 

-----------------------------

hi guys~ hihi so this is the first chapter! I hope you loved it and it turned out longer than i expected lol

oh and please do check out my previous fanfic featuring you and Nu'est's Ren! click here.

please do comment, subscribe and upvote! :)