DECISION

"추억"

A year had passed since they graduated and this time, it’s Niel’s turn to enter college. Yoori and Byunghun were busy to prepare their wedding with some little fight between them every day. Niel entered the same University as Sina and Yoori since he wanted to be with Sina always. Jonghyun would always pick Alifa up to the University and Yoomi would come with them together. They looked happy together and it made Yoomi jealous since her fiancé wasn’t there with her. She could only smile at her friends with their boyfriends.

 

At first, Minsoo always sent her postcards or email just to make sure Yoomi didn’t worry enough about him. But as time passed by, Minsoo never sent his news again to Yoomi. It made Yoomi lost her soul. She couldn’t focus on her study. She had a bad thought in her head that sometimes almost made her crazy. She rarely could be seen smiling as she dropped her credits. Her face turned darker each day.

 

Since they still gathered together once a week, the others could cheer Yoomi up and she could smile even a bit – especially Sina and Yoori. But she always looked through her phone, in hope that Minsoo would call her. It made Yoori and Sina mad at Minsoo. All of them didn’t know exactly what happened to Minsoo as they also didn’t get any news from him. His parents also felt worry since he also didn’t give any messages to them.

 

Chanhee who still loved Yoomi, looked at her every time they met. He couldn’t move on from Yoomi and he felt what she felt. Chanhee sat closer to her.

 

“Yoomi”, she still stared at her phone, didn’t recognize Chanhee. The others looked at her with their pathetic eyes. Yoomi’s face became bad these days. It looked like Yoomi had lost her mind. She would cry alone at night, calling Minsoo’s name then always had nightmare about him so she rarely sleep.

 

“Yoomi”, Chanhee called her once again, this time he turned Yoomi’s face with his hand. He could see how Yoomi’s eyes showed sadness. He hugged Yoomi. Yoomi didn’t cry. She just stayed still on Chanhee’s arms.

 

The next thing happened was Chanhee moved into Hanyang just for accompanying Yoomi. Alifa had accompanied her these times but it seemed like she needed someone else to help her so Chanhee moved. Both of them tried to make Yoomi happy.

 

“Yoomi, no worries. Minsoo will be okay. He will contact you soon. I believe. As long as you believe in him, he will call you soon, okay?!”, Alifa hugged her. Somehow, Alifa’s words made Chanhee hate Minsoo more. Believe?! It’s the 2nd time he heard that words between Minsoo and Yoomi. He couldn’t believe that Minsoo could trashed away Yoomi’s believe like this by missing for a year with no news.

 

He then sent an email to Minsoo – he didn’t care if he read it or not. He sent an email about Yoomi’s condition right now as she became worst each day. Just two sentences that would make Minsoo ‘wake-up’ from his ‘dream’, he threatened him saying, “I will marry Yoomi if you don’t give any news to us!! So be prepared to forget her forever!!”.

 

Started from that day, Chanhee always on Yoomi’s side, he never left her alone. He even said to Yoomi that she should forget about Minsoo and came to his side. Yoomi who still believed in Minsoo rejected him. Until one day, Chanhee faked a message and showed it to Yoomi. He couldn’t stand it anymore to see someone he loved the most suffered from this childish ‘believe’ word.

 

From: Bang Minsoo

To: Lee Chanhee

Chanhee-ya! Sorry if I never sent you guys a news from here. How is Yoomi doing?! I hope she’s doing good. But, Chanhee, could I ask you to keep this secret from her and the others?! I have a girlfriend here. It’s like I can’t live alone here and then I met this girl, we fell in love and now we are a couple. I will show her pictures someday! Okay, see ya!! Say hello to the others for me, Chanhee!! I TRUST YOU!!   

 

“YOU STILL BELIEVE IN HIM, YOOMI?! NOW WAKE UP!!”

“A—ANIYA!!!! THAT’S NOT MINSOO!!! NO!!!! I HATE YOU LEE CHANHEE!!! NO!!! MINSOO WON’T CHEAT ON ME!!! NOO!!!! I HATE YOU!!! I HATE YOU!!!! KYAAAAAAAAAA~~!!!!”

“DO YOU THINK I’M LYING?!?! LOOK AT THE SENDER NAME, YOOMI!!!”

“GET OUT!!! GET OUT FROM MY ROOM!!! GET OUT!!!! THAT’S NOT MINSOO!!!!”

“PARK YOOMI!!!”, Chanhee held Yoomi’s hand tightly and pulled her to his embrace. “Please. It hurts my heart to see you like this. I want the old Park Yoomi back to us. Please. Forget him. Be my girl. I will definitely make you happy. Please. You can’t be like this forever. Move on. He never sent you his news because he has found someone better than you”

 

Then, Yoomi cried hard on Chanhee’s warmth. Maybe Chanhee was right. Minsoo probably got her replacement in USA. Who wouldn’t love Minsoo?? And the fact that they were separated by many miles, made Minsoo easily forget her. She nodded to Chanhee. They became a couple and that night, Yoomi put her engagement ring off her finger. It was hurtful for her to let go this memorable ring and she decided to keep it inside a red box, near Minsoo’s picture, in her drawer.

 

***

 

Other months had passed but still no news from Minsoo. He was like a missing person in action. His parents were stressed enough. First, no news from their son and then Yoomi called-off their engagement as she became Chanhee’s girlfriend.

 

Yoomi was back to herself after being with Chanhee for almost 6 months but inside her heart, she still hoped that someday Minsoo would back home. The rest got shock when they were told that Yoomi called-off her engagement with Minsoo for Chanhee. None of them knew about the fake message Chanhee’s made. But as they saw that Yoomi was back to herself, they couldn’t agree more about this ‘strange sudden’ relationship between her and Chanhee.

 

One night, Chanhee and Yoomi were having their date on Gangnam street. They were looking for a ring, as Chanhee would marry Yoomi shortly. Chanhee was the one excited about this while Yoomi just looked at him with a weak smile. Chanhee was looking for a ring when suddenly Yoomi rounded her eyes seeing Minsoo’s reflection on the mirror. He was looking straight at Yoomi and Chanhee. Yoomi turned her head to the direction where Minsoo stood and her leg became weak to see the sad-face Minsoo stood there. Changhyun and Byunghun could be seen as they ran after Minsoo.

 

“Yoomi-ya. Which on—“

“MINSOO!!”, she screamed his name as Minsoo walked away with Changhyun and Byunghun. Chanhee looked at her and to the direction she pointed. He shocked to see Minsoo was really there – as he thought Yoomi hallucinated again.

“MINSOO-YA!!! BANG MINSOO!!!”, Yoomi ran after Minsoo – crossed the street.

“Pabo!! YA, PARK YOOMI!!!”, Chanhee tried to hold Yoomi’s hand but he couldn’t reach it.

“NOONA!!!”, Changhyun screamed as he saw a car hit Yoomi’s body. “ANDWAE!! NOONA!!!”

 

Minsoo looked at Yoomi who was laid on the hard asphalt, covered in blood. He rounded his eyes as he ran to her. Chanhee kneeled down as his knee became weak to see Yoomi in blood. Changhyun and Byunghun called ambulance in an instant as they ran to Yoomi. Minsoo held her, tried to stop her blood from coming out more. Yoomi looked at him.

 

“You-are-here?!”

“Stop talking!! Your blo—“

“It’s-nice-to-see-your-face-again, Min-soo-ya”, she held Minsoo’s face.

“STO—“

“Why-you-did-not-send-me-any-news-but-to-Chan-hee-a-bout—“

“NOW STOP!! Please. I don’t want to lose you!! I don’t”

“Thank-you-for-coming-back”

Then she closed her eyes.

 

***

 

“SO IT WAS YOU?!”, Minsoo punched Chanhee right on his face.

“Minsoo-ya!!”, Sina tried to stop him.

“How could you do that to them?!”, Byunghun asked Chanhee with hatred.

“Byunghun. Calm down, darling”, Yoori held Byunghun’s arm. “I also mad at you for doing that, Lee Chanhee!! But can you guys please calm down first?! Yoomi is in the operation room!! We need to pray for her!!”

“Yoori noona is right!! We have to pray for her first. She needs us now”, Changhyun said while holding back his tears.

 

Chanhee just apologized to them that he might be the one who made Yoomi like this. He showed them the fake message he made and also the letters which Minsoo wrote for Yoomi after Chanhee and Yoomi became a couple. He kept Minsoo’s letters from Yoomi. He knew it was wrong but he didn’t want to lose Yoomi. He was so selfish.

 

Jonghyun, Alifa and Niel could only look at Chanhee with disbelief that he willed to do that just for Yoomi’s love. As Yoomi’s parents arrived at the hospital, they acted normally like nothing happened to Chanhee and Minsoo. Yoomi’s parents were glad that Minsoo was there but they got confused since Chanhee was her boyfriend at that time. They just shrugged it off as they pray for their only daughter.

 

When the doctor came out from the operation room, all of them gathered around the doctor, except for Chanhee. The doctor said that she was okay. Thankfully that she was brought in to the hospital on time so she saved now. She only had a broken leg. Chanhee slowly left them. He left his love and his friendship since for him, it was a huge mistake and sin if he still continued befriend with them. So he decided to leave.

 

Next day, Yoomi opened her eyes. She was glad that the first person she saw was Minsoo. She smiled at him and Minsoo returned her smile with a on her hair. She looked around and saw everyone there except Chanhee. She wanted to ask where Chanhee was but she couldn’t since she was still weak. But something felt strange on her finger. She looked at it slowly and she teared-up as she saw her engagement ring with Minsoo was back to her ring finger.

 

Day by day, her condition became better. Minsoo was there all the time as he said that he dropped his school there because he already held his father’s business. Those times when he missed, he worked hard to make his dad’s company rise from bankrupt.

 

“Yeah, I did it! It was a success for me! Hahaha!! And that time when you saw me, I just got back from USA. I was looking for you as soon as I arrived here. I also got worried when you never replied my letters which were kept by Chanhee. I thought you really mad at me and decided to called-off the engagement which was yes, you did. I was crazy back then when mom told me that you called-off our engagement. But I let it like that because I think you need some times to think”

“You should told me, pabo! Do you know how worry I was?! And that message fro—“

“Ck. He faked it. I know, I’m so sorry for making you worry about me. But at least you still believe me”

“Pabo! I have said it many times that I believe in you, Bang Minsoo! I believe in you!”

“Thank you so much for believing me, Park Yoomi”, he kissed Yoomi’s cheek.

 

“So, everything is clear now?!”, Niel’s voice could be heard from the door.

“Yeah. Thanks! But, how is Chanhee?!”, Yoomi asked.

“Still out-of-reach”, Yoori answered.

“He missed?!”, Minsoo asked.

“I believe so. Maybe he needs time to reflect on what he did”, Jonghyun said.

“Well well well. Let him be”, Sina chuckled.

“By the way, here”, Byunghun gave Minsoo and Yoomi an invitation card.

 

“YOU GETTING MARRIED NEXT WEEK?!”, Minsoo shrieked as he just knew the news.