The Choice

Battle Royale: 41K

“Did you say yes?” chuckled Jay

 

Nichkhun shrugged with a smug smile,

 

“I would’ve totally, but we were only there for two days. No point in giving her the idea I wanted a relationship ”

 

 

Branded as numbers 1 and 21, Nichkhun and Jay relaxed in the comfort of a fully stocked apartment. Jay had stumbled upon the place and caught Nichkhun eyeing it also. Neither felt the need or want to fight, so together they broke into the bedroom by climbing through the window. They had never really spent anytime together after 2PM was reduced to six members but they easily picked up as if they had spent everyday together since. Both of them saw the game as simply that - a game. They saw it as a high school gym class, and had decided to be those kids who leaned against the back wall and lazily threw the ball to earn a barely passable grade. If they were to truly try instead and put real effort into it, they’d just become targets. Offensive positions were for those who wanted 15 minutes of fame before burning out. In this case, burning out meant dying. Nichkhun and Jay were fine in a defensive role right now. Calmy they ate some leftovers out of the fridge while lounging on the large couch. Whoever actually lived in the place sure had a lot of food.

 

“How long does it take for the redness to go down?’ wondered Nichkhun, touching the skin around his leg tattoo

 

“It depends on the person’s skin, where the tattoo is, the ink - so anywhere from five days to a good two weeks” expertly replied Jay

 

Khun slyly commented,

 

“I’m surprised you even noticed yours man”

 

Jay finished off the mouthful of food before rolling his eyes, retorting

 

“I’m surprised you didn’t wake up and start crying when you got yours pretty boy”

 

With a little more force than planned, Khun punched Jay in the middle of his chest. This caused Jay to spill some of his drink on to the couch and himself.

 

“Can you not” joked Jay, wiping of the juice on his arm

 

“I don’t think anyone will care about some red juice stain when the entire city will be stained with people’s blood” remarked Khun, getting up to peer out the window

 

He stood by the large window while Jay sniggered,

 

“Well, aren’t you just morbid”

 

Every ten minutes or so Nichkhun would check out the street below to make sure they could stay here. The main entrance was locked, and the window they had entered through had been the only one open. It had taken a long time to climb up garbage bins and window sills to access this area too. This was possibly the safest place to spend a night. That didn’t mean they could get cocky and not keep an eye on things. That’s how you end up dying. Khun stared at the lifeless downtown area below with zero vendors yelling at pedestrians or students meandering around. Nothing had changed except the angle of the shadows so he sauntered back to his spot on the couch with Jay.

 

“So what do you suggest we do” Jay motioned towards the two opened bags on the table, “You got a laptop and I got a headband as a weapon. We are kind of ed”

 

“At least I have Wifi” Nichkhun the laptop and plugged in the charger, sarcastically adding, “We could start a blog”

 

“Yea, and post pictures of us wearing my headband” added Jay with just as much sarcasm

 

Loudly Nichkhun sighed while typing,

 

“Do you know how to code? You know, like hack?”

 

“I can barely figure out how to illegally download music Khun. So no” admitted Jay

 

“You illegally download music? Isn’t that kind of hypocritical” asked Khun

 

With an accusing finger Jay strongly answered,

 

“It was your guys’ album. Don’t complain”

 

“Uhm, that gives me all the more reason to” Nichkhun finished his snickering, changing the topic with a neutral tone of voice, “Back on track. Is it too crazy to try and hack the system that controls these collars?”

 

Jay smirked,

 

“I’ve heard craz-”

 

The sound of an explosion interrupted his sentence. The first to the outlooking window was Nichkhun, popping his head behind the glass. Jay followed and stood on the other side. Another explosion rocked the still air, a little louder than the previous. It seemed whatever it was, was getting closer. They remained pressed against the wall, peering out through the window, when a group of people came into sight. Silently they watched the scene from above.

 

“Isn’t that Eunhyuk?” whispered Khun, waving his finger towards one of people

 

Quickly Jay leaned farther in to view the person. He nodded,

 

“Yeah. Pretty sure the one in the white is Junsu. Junsu as in used to be in DBSK Junsu” breathed Jay

 

Secretively they watched the tense situation below between the three men, unprepared to attack or defend themselves if they happened to be spotted. They did need weapons though, real ones. If they could steal one that would be helpful. Well, steal one without getting caught and/or killed.

 

Beneath the apartment in the street, Eunhyuk drew his weapon - an axe. He slinked towards the target, Junsu beginning to circle also but with no clear item. The third man turned around, Jay and Khun immediately recognizing it as Zico from Block B.

 

“Two against one. Great” grunted Zico

 

“We saw what you did. You killed our friend” whispered Eunhyuk

 

“I was attacked, I defended myself. What do you expect, for everyone to call a truce and be friends? Was I suppose to just lay down and die?” argued Zico

 

“Show us your number and weapon” commanded Junsu, taking a step towards Zico

 

With a sigh Zico rolled up the sleeve of his sweater to show the black 15 which filled most of his lower arm. As for a weapon, he shrugged,

 

“Don’t have one”

 

Khun let out a loud frustrated huff, mumbling

 

“Of course the person without a weapon, is the one we are trying to steal a weapon from. Only Eunhyuk seems to have one”

 

The bickering below continued as Jay kept a focused eye on them. He shook his head, using a skeptical tone he replied,

 

“Don’t count on that. It doesn’t make sense that one person wouldn’t get a weapon. Maybe they got a one like us, but they still got one. Who would show the only advantage they have anyways, to have it taken”

 

Calmly Eunhyuk lowered the axe and motioned for Junsu to back up slightly. The three of them shared glances multiple times, deciding what the next move should be. Was it more valuable to gain a strong allie, or kill him while you have the chance? Zico did have potential, he was very clever. Nichkhun motioned Jay to check out what he had spotted, the 8 on Eunhyuk’s neck and 6 on Junsu’s hand, as the three continued to dilly dally. Junsu stared at Zico, using a flavourless tone to say,

 

“Go then, before we change our minds”

 

No one moved though. Zico, Eunhyuk, and Junsu remained in their triangle formation on the street while Nichkhun and Jay remained at  the window in the apartment. The ticking of thoughts through minds was the only sound. Suddenly, Zico charged at Junsu as if he was attempting to head him.

 

An inhuman wail ripped through the street as Zico skipped backwards and away from Junsu. A small trickle of blood made its way down Junsu’s shirt as he stood shocked. He didn’t understand what Zico had done to him. It hadn’t been a stab of a knife or scratch of a hand, or even a punch. On the cracked pavement under his feet he then noticed the small medical syringe carelessly rolling about, a small amount of light green liquid in it even.

 

“S.M. Entertainment doesn’t do much for the mind it seems” taunted Zico, trying to topple Eunhyuk on to the ground

 

While Junsu began to lose feeling in his limbs and his control over them, Eunhyuk was busy giving and receiving punches and kicks. Both Zico and Eunhyuk had approximately the same amount of physical strength, but Zico had something of a plan. It was only a matter of luck if Eunhyuk could figure out what that was, and then if he could win. With his right leg Eunhyuk kicked at Zico’s stomach repeatedly, causing him to wince on impact. He tried this same move another time, which caused Zico to actually stagger backwards a few paces. Perhaps he could over power him. With all the fighting they had travelled quite a ways down the street, no longer in front of apartments but clothing shops. Eunhyuk hoped this gave Junsu a chance to crawl away. One more focused hit should be enough to stagger him, making a long enough moment for him to use the axe.

 

As soon as Eunhyuk and Zico were distracted with each other and had no chance of spotting them, Jay scrambled down the fire escape and signalled Nichkhun to follow. They rushed towards Junsu’s jittering body, putting a finger over their lips. Junsu understood, back his frightened and pained whimpers.

 

“What the hell was in this” spat Nichkhun, inspecting the syringe

 

Easily the two could have stayed in the apartment, safe and comfortable, and then scavenged. They could have let the fight go on and let them die off. They had chosen to try and help however. With Nichkhun supporting Junsu’s head and neck, and Jay having a firm hold on the legs, they began to lift upwards.

 

“Don... D-d, don’t” coughed Junsu, barely managing to make his voice audible

 

Nichkhun shot a worried look at Jay, hoping he’d decide what to do. Jay nodded, beginning to set Junsu back on to the pavement. In the time it took to lay him back down, the jittering had completely come to a halt. Junsu laid silently there, permanently at rest. His pulse was completely gone.

 

Meanwhile, Eunhyuk had gotten into the stance for his final power kick. He was ready to end this no matter how bloody it would be. Successfully his foot plowed into Zico with a distinct thud. Conversely, Zico smiled. His anticipating, waiting hand gripped Eunhyuk’s ankle before pushing him off balance and on to his back. Hard asphalt was not what greeted him though, but rather the pointed metal of a bear trap.

 

“Dammit” cursed Eunhyuk in between loud grunts of anguish

 

The spiked trap hugged his thigh like a clingy relative, refusing to loosen. Zico eyed him with satisfaction, casually commenting

 

“Those were what your friend left me; that . Thought you should have them. The explosions from the flares, they were the ’s also. Don’t know where they came from though ”

 

After a quick crack of his neck, Zico sauntered out of sight. He figured that air head should be someone else’s problem. It was about time he moved on and found somewhere to sleep anyways.

 

Similar to before, the cautious duo checked to see Zico had left. There was no point in trying to join in on the fight without something for combat. There was still a clear rise and fall to his chest, so they crept closer.

 

“Number” hissed Eunhyuk, the sting from his thigh reaching a new level as the blood streamed on to the ground

 

“Not the time to worry about that man” Nichkhun took of his shirt, covering the punctured flesh, turning to Jay, “Let’s get him to the apartment”

 

Together they managed to transport Eunhyuk to the main entrance of the apartment building. Nichkhun waited with Eunhyuk while Jay ran to open the door from the inside. Eunhyuk felt that the trap had broken a bone along with the major blood loss it was causing. The best Nichkhun could do at the moment was calm him down and treat for shock.

 

“Don’t look at it, just look at me. Breath slowly, like this” he put a firm hand on Eunhyuk’s shoulder, talking through his loud breathing, “In, out, in, out”

 

“Zico beat her, killed her” heaved Eunhyuk

 

“You mean him?” corrected Nichkhun, waving to Jay as he ran towards the door

 

“No, no, no....” with a much effort Eunhyuk repositioned himself, continuing to struggle with words, “My friend, they fought before Zico fought us”

 

“Who?” simply asked Nichkhun

 

There was no answer, the only response being a flutter of Eunhyuk’s eyes before shutting them fully. He groaned and mumbled as Jay and Nichkhun began to lift him up. They had been able to release the springs of the trap on the ground floor, so there would be no extra weight. Regardless, it was extremely long of a trip up the three flights of stairs with an extra person. Oh the joys of older building with no elevators. When they did make it to the apartment, immediately they laid Eunhyuk across the kitchen counter.

 

“So uhm... Clean the leg. We’ll need some alcohol too” panted Jay, shaking out his arms

 

Quickly half a bottle of soju was pulled from the fridge and a towel was taken from the bathroom. Still Eunhyuk grumbled away in this unconscious state.

 

“Can you hear me, hello? Do you know what’s going on? We’re going to wash of the blood” firmly said Nichkhun, hitting him fist against the countertop right beside Eunhyuk’s head

 

Some what of a yes came out in between the various animalistic sounds he made. Neither were exactly doctors, but they still tried their best with the knowledge they’d gleaned from hospital shows and dance injuries. They washed off the crusting blood around the wound quickly as possible, ready to sterilize it. It was a sight that Nichkhun could barely handle, squinting his eyes to blur the image. Conveniently Jay was busy with something else of course. When he returned, he took a long sip before pouring the alcohol over the wound. Eunhyuk screamed in agony, thrashing around wildly. While Nichkhun held down his torso, Jay ripped up the towel and wrapped it over and under the limb. Red spots instantly began to form on the fabric.

 

“There’s not much else we can do” admitted Jay, watching as the red spots gradually grew in size

 

Nichkhun agreed with a slow nod. There wasn’t much else they could do, especially if Eunhyuk was not being very responsive. They didn’t know what he needed or wanted if he couldn’t tell them.

 

“Did you grab the weapons, from the fight?” asked Nichkhun

 

Casually Jay strode over to the coffee table. He held up an axe and empty syringe, then added

 

“This was Junsu’s”

 

The final item was a dark blue bullet proof vest.

 

The day was a success. Three weapons had been gained. Of course, a beat up Eunhyuk had been also. Nichkhun didn’t want to leave him out on the street, and frankly neither did Jay. If the situation had been reversed, they would’ve hoped someone would have stopped and tried to save them. Eunhyuk was meant to die, but they interfered. Now there is another person alive that they may have defend against. Perhaps today wasn’t a complete success. Resuming their positions on the couch, they chattered about the possibiltiy of overturning the game completely. If they were caught though, would they both be eliminated? How closely did the Mai and the others in charge of the game monitor what went on? Jay wasn't worried about Nichkhun turning on him, and Nichkhun thought the same about Jay, so they could work together on this.

 

 

Where the hell did they start though.