Prologue

Battle Royale: 41K

The screams of reporters and the flashes of photographers filled the atmosphere, suffocating anyone who dared join the wild crowd. Like a large black spider, a group of bodyguards crawled through the bustling bodies. In the centre of the chaos was a little girl, no older than 14 but no younger than 11.

 

“And here they com- It’s a girl! The winner of the 2003 Battle Royale; she’s a girl!” the female reported hollered into her microphone

 

She attempted to her microphone through a gap, towards the winner. Her arm was quickly pushed away though by one of the body guards. At least five more reporters were trying to do the same . The game was over and everyone wanted a piece of the players. Correction; player.

 

“The first female victor for Japan’s Battle Royale; what an accomplishment” a handsome man smiled at his camera man, “Congratulations Faith!”

 

By now the black wall had made it to a car, the girl hopping into the back seat. The crowd surrounded the vehicle quickly, not missing a chance for a photo or quote for the evening news.

 

“Though this game is over, don’t forget that South Korea begins their first Battle Royale next week. Please support them too” yipped a pair of teenagers, flashing peace signs and smiles at their phones.

 

The car began to roll through the hoard, people bouncing off the hood of the car as they got pushed aside. Still, cameras rolled and people screamed.

 

“We love you! We knew you’d win! See you in Seoul!” cheered a group of high schoolers, erratically waving a banner as the car passed them.

 

Suddenly the car stopped, the wheels screeching on the pavement. The back window was being rolled down and an arm was being stuck out. It was the winner, blowing a kiss to her fans. She smiled at them with perfectly white teeth. Just as quickly as it stopped, the car began to chug ahead. Still she had her red hand out the window, waving.

 

Her very red hand.