Tension

Lord of Shadows
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: note, Ilhoon's music has been hyperlinked

         

 

           

            Monday was particularly chaotic within the halls of Cube High. With the initial part of the kingka vote behind them, the first week’s results were spreading around the school. To the surprise of many students, Btob had gained the lead over Vixx in the polls. While some students still favored Vixx’s new dark and mysterious concept, over half of the student body were enjoying the helpful and kind attitudes the BtoB members were displaying. With fifty-three percent of the polls belonging to Btob, Hongbin was becoming frustrated.

            “We’re losing? How the hell could we be losing?! We practically own this school!” The boy was pacing on the rooftop while Hyuk lay on his back, listening to his complaints.

            “Well, it’s not like we really put in any effort into this campaign,” The maknae answered and he lightly rubbed at a newly formed scar on the palm of his hand. “We’re preparing for something more important.”

            “I know, I know, the fate of Btob and possibly the entire school are at stake.” He sighed. “But if we lose, and I become just a normal background student... what chance will I ever have with Hyeri?”

            “She doesn’t li-”

            “She doesn’t like me! She doesn’t like me!” Hongbin interrupted, becoming more frustrated. “I’m so sick of hearing that from you guys! I’m not giving up on her, so stop trying to put me down on this!”

            “Bean, you’re acting crazy.” Hyuk sat up. “I know our training is hard on us and you’re letting your stress get to you. You’re overreacting.”

            “I’m not overreacting!” Hongbin growled. “I’m going for a walk.”

            Hongbin stormed off down the stairwell and Hyuk let out a sigh. He wouldn’t admit it but he was upset by the initial poll as well. It’s not that being a kingka meant so much to him, but he didn’t want anything else to change. The maknae was afraid. He didn’t want to lose because, in his eyes, losing even one battle could be the end of Vixx.

            Sohyun was looking forward to lunch. With Sunday spent doing homework after her Saturday in Seoul, she was anxious to get to spend time with Ilhoon and his friends and show off her pictures from the concert.

            Sohyun pulled out a necklace from her pocket and stared at it. She couldn't believe she had convinced Ilhoon into buying it for her. It was a small silver pendant in the shape of Infinite's logo. To Ilhoon, it may have just been a souvenir but to Sohyun, it was a reminder of their fun night together.

            She turned the corner, her eyes focused on the dangling object in front of her when she crashed into a solid object.

            "Watch where you’re going, freak!"

            Sohyun fell to the ground and looked up to see two queenkas looming over her.

            "Sorry Minah," Sohyun reluctantly apologized. She pulled herself up and started towards the cafeteria when a tug on her hair stopped her in her tracks.

            "Hey!" Sohyun yelled, snapping her ponytail out of Yura's hand.

            "Just where do you think you’re going?" Minah moved into Sohyun’s path.  "Off to lower Btob's reputation again?"

            "Back off, Minah! I'm going to go eat lunch with my friends!"

            "We warned you Sohyun," Minah spoke. "You are a virus, and we will not continue to let you contaminate Btob."

            "So either you back the off Btob or we’ll make you," Yura threatened.

            "I am not a virus, and there's nothing you can do to keep me away from-"

            Sohyun was cut off when her head made contact with the locker behind her. Sohyun groaned as her pendant fell to the floor. She reached down for it but Minah managed to get a hold of it first.

            "Oh, what's this?  You're an Infinite fan?" Minah mocked.

            "GIVE THAT BACK!" Sohyun yelled. "That was a gift from Ilhoon!"

            "Was it now?"

            A swift kick was aimed into Sohyun's gut and the poor girl doubled over in pain.

            "Let's get this straight." Minah lifted the girl's chin with her manicured nail. "You are garbage, a freak of nature, a monster. Your only place in this school is to hide your face and your monstrous ways until graduation. You have no place in the lives of Btob, and Jung Ilhoon will never like you.” With those words, she snapped the pendant in two and dropped the pieces to the ground.

            The two queenkas laughed, turning their backs on Sohyun. They were close to walking away when something caught Minah’s wrist.

            “Hey freak, what the hell are you-”

           Before anything else could be said Minah was instantly flipped and slammed into the metal locker. After she was sure Minah had fallen unconscious, Sohyun turned to Yura, a dark and intimidating look extracting fear in the queenka.

            “So... I’m a monster am I?” Sohyun cracked her knuckles. “I’ll show just how much of a monster I am.”

            The Btob boys couldn’t meet in their regular spot in the lunchroom due to the kingka vote raising their popularity so they had decided to have lunch in the courtyard. Thankfully the weather was a bit chilly so not many people were wandering about.

            “Why, why, why?” Minhyuk whined as he slammed the back of the head against a tree.

            “It’s not that bad.” Eunkwang tried to comfort the fellow senior.

            “Yes it is,” Minhyuk said. “My cousin is dating my shadow! Do you have any idea how awkward it is to accompany my cousin on a date? Why did you agree to go out with her again?!”

            Dongwoon chuckled nervously. ‘It’s not that bad, Minhyuk. I’ve been working on increasing my range so next time you won’t have to ride every ride we do. We had a good time.’

            ‘I’m surprised Jihyun was able to accept that you’re not human,’ Yoseob said.

            ‘I’m surprised Dongwoon was the first of us to get an official girlfriend.’ Kikwang added. ‘At the rate we were going, I was expecting Hyunseung to get hooked up first.’

            ‘Not many girls will be ok with dating a shadow demon,’ Hyunseung chimed in. ‘That’s why I’m not gonna tell Hyuna until I know she likes me for me.’

            “Um,” Ilhoon started playing with the sleeve of his jacket. “She may already know.”

            ‘What?!” Hyunseung nearly shouted.

            ‘Yeah, Jiyoon and Sohyun may have mentioned you and I are friends and Hyuna knows I’m a shadow demon so by association...’ Junhyung trailed off.

            ‘How much did you actually tell her?!’ Hyunseung yelled.

            “They didn’t tell her your name or anything like that,” Ilhoon added.

            ‘But we may have mentioned that Jay Stomp isn’t your real name.’ Junhyung smirked.

            ‘Ugh! My whole plan with her is ruined.’

            ‘You had a plan?' Doojoon questioned.

            'Actually, no, not really,' Hyunseung replied gaining an annoyed expression from Junhyung.

            "Dating, it’s complicated." Peniel leaned back against the tree and took a bite of an apple.

            'Speaking of dating,' Kikwang smirked, 'Guess who else got a girlfriend last night.'

            “Yah, Hyung!” Hyunsik yelled, embarrassed.

            “Oh yeah, Hyunsik’s dating a college girl.” Ilhoon added

            “College girl?!” Peniel yelled. “How’d you pull that off?”

            “What college girl would be interested in you?” Changsub asked.

            “Have you told her about Kikwang yet?” Sungjae questioned.

            Hyunsik nodded. “Well, a little. I haven’t given her all the details but she knows Kikwang isn’t human and he’s my guardian. I haven’t told her about our battles and especially about Kikwang giving me to guidance to make her like me.”

            “So Kikwang hooked you two up?” Changsub asked before turning to Hyunsik’s shadow. “Dude, Kikwang-hyung, hook me up! I want a girlfriend too.”

            “Yeah!” Eunkwang added. “Think you can get me a girl with long hair that she likes to put behind her ear on one side?”

            “Kikwang, think you can get this loser to finally confess to Gina,” Ilhoon teased.

            ‘HEY!’ Junhyung yelled.

            Hyunsik laughed nervously before standing up. “I think you’re making Hyung nervous.”

            ‘People are coming to me for relationship advice?’ Kikwang was practically beaming and Hyunsik began to back up. Let’s go take a walk to cool down.” Hyunsik bowed to his group before walking off, the reluctant Kikwang following behind.

            The rest of the Btob boys watched their friend leave before Junhyung turned to Ilhoon. ‘Who are you to judge me with Gina, when you can’t even confess to Sohyun?’

            Ilhoon chuckled lightly. “Touché, Hyung.” He sighed before looking around the area then down at his phone. “Where is Sohyun anyway?”

           


 

            Hongbin was still in a bad mood when lunch time came around. He didn’t bother to go eat with the other Vixx members. He just wanted to be alone.

            As he rounded the corners of the freshman lockers, he managed to catch a glimpse of the object of his affections.

        

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter