Introductions

Severely Lost In Love

The following day Tae-Yang approached Young-Bae ready to propose his plan to set him up with Hei-Ryung. The day before Hei-Ryung had agreed to Tae-Yang’s suggestion in order for her to think freely. With the exception if Tae-Yang could accomplish this by allowing Tae-Yeon’s family to not end up being hurt from his plan.

Tae-Yang’s plan was not definite. It still lacked detail which he wanted Young-Bae and Hei-Ryung’s help to finish his plan. He knew with their knowledge the plan would be perfect. Tae-Yang told Young-Bae, “Are you free today? I was hoping if you could come to the pond.”

Shocked to hear an invite, Young-Bae replied, “I am not bust today… However, why would want me to go to the pond?”

“To meet Hei-Ryung.” Tae-Yang chuckled. “Isn’t it part of the plan for you to be with her? It would be good if you two started to get to know one another before we try to expose Jong-Il and steal her away from him.”

“That seems logical… But even in this era we usually do not meet until we wed.” Young-Bae blushed at the thought of meeting Hei-Ryung. “I did not expect to meet her until the day we decided to go ahead with your plan.”

“This is part of the reason why I need both of you to meet.” Tae-Yang explained. “Having you two around whilst I finish my plan, I can get answers and specific details straight away from both of you.”

Tae-Yang and Young-Bae waited for Hei-Ryung to arrive at the pond. Getting to know Tae-Yang she always smiled at the thought of him, her heart felt calm when she thought of him, yet her heartbeats fastened when she was around him. The thought of him was what had kept her going when she was around Jong-Il. Excited to see him again she quickened her pace to reach the pond. Climbing over the two boulders she not only saw Tae-Yang standing there nodding, his right hand his jawline as he listened to another figure that had his back towards her. Crouching back down to hide herself, Hei-Ryung wondered who that person was. Shocked to see him standing there she felt as though her time alone with Tae-Yang had been stolen away. Deeply in her thoughts she came to realise that it was Young-Bae, the man that Tae-Yang constantly mentioned. Somewhat curious yet concerned Hei-Ryung tried to stay close and as low to the boulders as she could to watch what Young-Bae was like.

Frequently looking over to the boulders, Tae-Yang eventually saw Hei-Ryung’s head pop up over the rocks then disappear again. Tae-Yang laughed realising that Hei-Ryung already spotted Young-Bae and noticed that she was nervous to meet him. “Wait here and do not turn around.” Tae-Yang smiled and warned Young-Bae. Confused, Young-Bae did as Tae-Yang told.

Meanwhile, Hei-Ryung was only focusing on Young-Bae when she suddenly heard a whisper right next to her ear, “Why are you just staring from afar?”

“Tae-Yang!” Startled, she yelled out his name realising who it was. “When did you get here?”

With a smirk, Tae-Yang replied, “Just now… You must have been watching Young-Bae a lot to not even notice me approaching you.”

Young-Bae heard Hei-Ryung shout out to Tae-Yang and could not help but turn around. He could not see her or Tae-Yang who had walked in that direction. Curious, Young-Bae began to make his way over when he saw Tae-Yang stand up with a huge smile on his face with tears rolling from his eyes as he helped Hei-Ryung over the boulder. Grabbing her arm to help pull her up and seeing Tae-Yang laugh made Young-Bae envious. Looking over to Hei-Ryung quickened Young-Bae’s heartbeat. He thought about nothing except for just seeing Hei-Ryung standing there right in front of him.

Hei-Ryung looked up shocked to see how much Young-Bae had resembled Tae-Yang. Unable to take her eyes off Young-Bae as she climbed down the boulder she had lost her balance falling into his arms. Young-Bae quickly reacted embracing her closely to him so that she did not fall onto the rocks whilst Tae-Yang still stood on the boulder giving a deviant grin to Young-Bae as he watched them gain balance again. Young-Bae slightly coughed from the awkward silence that surrounded them as he stood straight, whereas Hei-Ryung kept her eyes peeled away from Young-Bae's eyes. “Thank you.” Hei-Ryung said just loudly enough for Young-Bae to hear.

“Did you get hurt from the fall?” Young-Bae asked as he looked up to the trees allowing Hei-Ryung to get a quick glance at him.

“No. I did not get hurt,” Hei-Ryung lowered her head as she spoke still avoiding eye contact.

Tae-Yang jumped down from the boulders hitting Young-Bae on the back and slouching down to become eye level with Hei-Ryung, “Well… you two are making the ambience feel quiet odd.” He dragged both Young-Bae and Hei-Ryung closer to the pond. “Hei-Ryung, could you please step onto this rock?” Tae-Yang pointed towards a large rock which looked like a stepping stone with his palm open with no fingers folded. As she stepped onto the rock Tae-Yang pushed Young-Bae in front of Hei-Ryung.

They both were now eye level. With Tae-Yang’s nudge to Young-Bae, Young-Bae and Hei-Ryung could not help but look into each other’s’ eyes. Stunned Hei-Ryung looked to the ground whilst Young-Bae looked to his left towards the trees that was on top of the cliff. “Heol!” Tae-Yang exclaimed knowing that they would not understand, however could not help his expression in disappointment. “Young-Bae, Hei-Ryung, you both want to learn about the future. Here is a quick lesson on how we introduce ourselves to new people. Do as I say and nothing else.” Tae-Yang ordered hoping it would be an ice breaker for them. “Now, look into each other’s eyes, eye contact in the modern day is an essential component to good communication, both of you hold out your right hand and grab the other’s hand and move your hands up and down and say ‘nice to meet you’.” They both did as Tae-Yang said with a little guidance from him leading Young-Bae’s hand to Hei-Ryung’s hand. Young-Bae used his left hand to rub the back of his head as a drop of sweat dripped from his neck whilst Hei-Ryung clenched her teeth tightly. “Dong Young-Bae, this is Kim Hei-Ryung. Kim Hei-Ryung this is Dong Young-Bae… Now both of you say ‘hello’.”

Quietly, simultaneously and awkwardly they both replied, “Hello, nice to meet you.” Letting go of each other’s hand as soon as the spoke with a sigh of relief.

Tae-Yang chuckled, “Okay. Now tell each other something you like to do when you are alone.”

“I like to walk through the streets seeing how the world and people around me are feeling and doing.” Young-Bae replied.

“I like to read when no one sees me.” Hei-Ryung opened up knowing that Young-Bae had already seen her and knowing that Tae-Yang wanted them to become closer. Hei-Ryung saw a smile grow on Young-Bae’s face when she had said that she reads. Tae-Yang noticed that Hei-Ryung’s shoulders became relaxed showing that she had become more comfortable with Young-Bae.

[Flashback]

“Tae-Yang meet Tae-Yeon. Tae-Yeon this is the guy who was stalking you at the library.”

“Na-Young!” Tae-Yang exclaimed blushing. Tae-Yeon’s eyes widened whilst she pouted leaning away from Tae-Yang.

“But it’s okay, he is a good guy. Otherwise I would not have introduced you to him.” Na-Young explained.

“Now I will leave you two to form your own impressions of each other.”

Tae-Yeon jokingly scoffed, “Will I be safe alone with this stalker?”

Tae-Yang pouted as he kept his head dropped. Feeling a hand grab his shoulder he saw Na-Young pull him towards her by his shirt. “Break her heart and you’ll die by my hands,” Na-Young playfully warned. Turning to Tae-Yeon, “Kids! I’m leaving. Don’t get up to a lot of mischief.” Pointing at Tae-Yang as she walked away.

“Wah! She can be scary sometimes,” Tae-Yang turned towards Tae-Yeon with a smile that made his eyes almost disappear. “I am Tae-Yang.”

Tae-Yeon chuckled shaking his hand which he held out. His soft smooth hand gave a gentle yet firm grasp giving Tae-Yeon a calm and secure feeling when she was around him. “I always wondered who Na-Young spoke to during that day in the library. I am Tae-Yeon.”

[End of Flashback]

“Now that we have introductions out of the way,” Tae-Yang began to explain his plan to both of them.

“Even if you get my father’s approval, how will they not have their honour tarnished?” Hei-Ryung questioned.

“If we demonise Jong-Il enough and expose all of his sins I am sure the King could approve of you separation from him even if he is banished.” Young-Bae explained. “My Uncle taught me about these types of laws recently with thinking that I will actually use them one day.”

“Now that we have a plan I just need to-” Tae-Yang paused beginning to pat around his robes.

“Did you forget something?” Young-Bae asked.

“Yes. I will have to go back and get the piece of paper I wrote on.” Tae-Yang replied getting up without hesitation and began to leave. Hei-Ryung’s eyes followed Tae-Yang as he left frowning and pouting.

Young-Bae watched Tae-Yang leave as he held his hand out as if he was asking for help whilst he mouthed gibberish not wanting Tae-Yang to leave him alone with Hei-Ryung. They both watched him leave before turning to each other and smiling. Moments passed by when Young-Bae finally asked whilst tilting his head to the side to see Hei-Ryung’s eyes which stared at the water at her feet, “You looked beautiful that day I saw you reading the scrolls here. Who taught you to read?”

Hei-Ryung lowered her head as she blushed, “My father, however I know I am not meant to be this.”

“I think your father did the right thing.” Young-Bae chuckled as he looked out towards the pond that was in front of them. “I do not think it is right how the men are only taught to read and write. My father always told me that the more people who knew more, the better it was to collaborate ideas and form new theories. Why have half the population not know anything written in literature?”

Hei-Ryung chuckled, “Your father is very different from most men… just like my father and brother.”

By now Tae-Yang had made his way over to the cliff that overlooked the pond. Taking a last glimpse before leaving he saw them both laughing and talking.

[Flashback]

Tae-Yeon and Tae-Yang sat at the steps that overlooked the Han River that was further down a café which they had grabbed a coffee from. Straightforwardly Tae-Yeon asked, “How long have you been wanting to meet me? Did you stalk me any time before and after that day in the library?”

Choking on his sip of coffee Tae-Yang replied, “Not long. The day in the library was the first time I ever saw you… And I wasn’t stalking…”

“Oh yeah. What were you doing then?”

“I was checking you out.” Tae-Yang smirked taking another sip out of his coffee.

Tae-Yeon could not help but smile and chuckle at his honesty and humour. “Well… that wasn’t the first time we had an encounter. There was a time last year on the bus you fell asleep on my shoulder. You were wearing a vest that showed you worked at a convenience store. That was when I checked you out.” Tae-Yeon chuckled avoiding eye contact with Tae-Yang looking out to the buildings across the other side of the river.

[End flashback]