telling it.

walking between raindrops.


*** 

I decided to change the prologue to a complete chapter, because I thought it's better to explain the whole situation between Donghae and Hyukjae a little.
I'm really sorry for everyone who had read the prologue yet, but due to the content it hadn't changed much!
If you like, just read it again to understand the following chapters!

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 

 

It was stormy outside and the rain was pouring heavily from the clouded sky.
Even if the hall didn't have a window, Hyukjae could clearly hear the silent taping on the glass, again and again, just like he loved hit.


Just like both of them loved it.

Making up his way to Donghae's bedroom was the hardest thing he had to do today. The other band men – both the dorm's residents and Siwon and Shindong – were already sitting in the living room, but the last and most difficult person was still missing.

The person, Hyukjae was the most afraid of right now.

Hyukjae made his way down the dorm's hall with slow, hesitant steps while he searched in his head for some kind of 'master plan' that would ease this whole awkward situation. He needed the perfect words, the best formulation or at least a sensible explanation, but all he found in the corners of his head was emptiness, fear and guilt.

He would ruin it now. He would ruin the whole content of the past year, just by saying a single sentence.

About one year ago, it happened that the strong bond of friendship between Hyukjae and Donghae increased in such an enormous height, that both of them couldn't bear it anymore. First it was some kind of joke, when they decided deep in the night to kiss each other - „Just to try“, Donghae had said in that night, but both of them knew that it was going to be more.

The hotel room in any random city of South Korea – who actually cared about the city in that moment? - was completely dark and silent, when Hyukjae felt his way towards Donghae's body next to him and kissed him tenderly, 'just to try'.

To be honest, they 'tried' it during the following nights again and again, without speaking about it during the days. It was new for both of them and neither Hyukjae nor Donghae wanted to admit how their hearts started to beat and how their breaths were about to caught, everytime their lips touched eachother.

However, the change was there:

The touches during public performances or interview increased, they gave their fans a lot of 'EunHae-moments', how they joked about it in front of the other members. But in fact – and as they would never confess – they just couldn't keep their hands off each other.

With every further night, their kisses deepened and they continued to explore their bodies, gladly knowing that the opposite had never done this before with a man, too. As long as possible, they hid themselves in their hotel rooms or – when they manage to do it without attracting someone's attention – in Hyukjae's single room in the dorm and talked and kissed and loved each other like no one was able to imagine.

Hyukjae stumbled in his steps and paused some seconds, when he remembered all those countless nights and secret meetings he had spent with Donghae.

If they could only continue forever...

Unknowingly, Hyukjae started to play with the thin ring on his left hand, before he shook his head and sighted deeply.
It wasn't possible.

He went through it for five months now and he was sick and tired of all these lies. It wasn't fair to hide it anymore, and – with the new changes – it wasn't possible anyway.

It might be the best for everyone, if Hyukjae did it now and faced the consequences.

Hyukjae reached the door that lead into Donghae's and Jungsoo's bedroom and after another deep breath, he raised his hand and knocked silently on the wooden door. His glance ran over the silver ring and when he reached for the doorknob, he unknowingly clenched his fist to hide it.

Even if he didn't get an answer, Hyukjae silently opened the door and entered the room behind it.

The usual chaos on Donghae's room side didn't surprise him anymore and seeing his friend between CDs, magazines and countless odds and ends was such a common sight to Hyukjae, that his heart started to clench painfully.

Donghae lifted his glance from the magazine he was currently reading and as soon as his eyes met Hyukjae's shape, Donghae's usual bright smile lighted up his whole face. He pulled down the headphones he was wearing and let them hang loosely around his neck.

Hey!“, Donghae greeted cheerfully and a huge weight was pressing against Hyukjae's chest.

Hyukjae cleared his throat silently and looked at his friend. „Do you have a second...?“

Donghae raised his eyebrows in surprise, when he saw the concerned expression on Hyukjae's face. He got on his feet and kicked some random stuff aside, before he made his way towards the elder man.

„Are you okay?“, Donghae asked a little worried and Hyukjae couldn't hide the smile, that immediately showed up on his face. It was amazing how Donghae's facial expression was able to change within the fraction of a second – from joy to surprise to worry... Not only, but especially, to Hyukjae, Donghae had always been like an open book.

This fact made Hyukjae even more afraid of telling him the truth today.

Even if Hyukjae knew that this was perfectly wrong in a situation like this, he lifted his hand and placed it gently on Donghae's soft cheeks, immediately causing another smile on Donghae's face.

I'm fine, Hae...“, Hyukjae mumbled silently, while his fingers were slowly over the plain skin.

Maybe he should tell it Donghae first... alone, taking their time, without the other members...

Didn't Donghae – he of all people – have the right to hear about it first? Wasn't he the one who was affected most?

Hyukjae swallowed hard and shivered slightly, when Donghae placed his own hand on Hyukjae's, just as if he knew that anything was going wrong right now.

Hyukjae slowly detached his hand from Donghae's cheek and raised Donghae's hand towards his own mouth. He slowly turned it around and placed a soft kiss right in the middle of Donghae's palm, just like he used to do it every time they were alone.

No... it was better when the other members knew it, too, so Donghae wouldn't be alone after it...

Lowering Donghae's hand again, Hyukjae looked into his lover's eyes and nodded down the hall. „Come on, I need to tell you something in the living room“, he mumbled silently and placed his hand on Donghae's back, guiding him slowly towards the end...

On a day like this, when all SuJu-members were sitting in the dorm's living room, it was literally bursting at the seams. The two large couches that built an 'L' in the middle of the room, the armchair next to them and the soft carpet on the floor were crowded by mature young men who waited for the big announcement Hyukjae had to do today.

When Donghae entered the room and saw the whole band in it, he raised his eyebrows in surprise and whistled silently.

Wow, did I miss anything?“, he asked a little confused and laughed silently, before he went up to the left couch and squeezed himself between Jungsoo and Heechul.

Thank God it's not Kyuhyun who did this“, Heechul muttered silently and tried to move aside, so that Donghae had enough space to sit. He winced slightly, when a huge pillow hit his chest right after this comment.

„I heard that.“, Kyuhyun said dangerously and eyed Heechul pejoratively, before he placed his arm on the backrest again.

The elder man laughed and threw the pillow back at Kyuhyun, but right when he was about to talk again, Hyukjae's serious voice interrupted him.

Could you listen for some seconds?“
The uncomfortable feeling in Hyukjae's stomach increased even more, when twenty eyes were looking and him now. He slowly sat down on the sideboard opposite the couch, but as soon as his hit the cold wood, he lifted himself up again and stood a little insecure in front of his friends.

Restlessly, he started to play with his fingers until he suddenly touched the cold silver ring on his left hand.

Some seconds past, until he finally spoke out the reason for their meeting today.
The time had come...

I am engaged.“

A thick silence filled up the room and Hyukjae closed his eyes to not lose himself... He heard a silent gasping due from the couch and without actually seeing it, he knew that it came from Donghae.
Wrapping his right hand around his left ring finger, Hyukjae's heart started to ache unbearably.

Did you finally propose to Donghae?“

Heechul's joking voice was cutting through the room and a hearty laughter followed it. He wrapped his arm around Donghae's shoulders and shook him slightly.
Congratu--”
Heechul stumbled when he saw the shocked expression on Donghae's face. He turned his face towards Jungsoo, who was slightly shaking his head and Heechul understood.
Do you mean- ?!“

Hyukjae tried to ignore Heechul's comment and fighted hard against the lump in his throat, before he shook his head slightly and continued speaking.

I'm not going to marry... a guy“, he started silently. „I'm meeting Ji-Eun for some time now and... and I think it could work with us, so I proposed to her yesterday...“

Hyukjae lifted his glance slowly and looked at his friends, who were looking at him pure astonishment and disbelief. One by one, Hyukjae looked into everyone's face and when he finally met Donghae's eyes, his fast heart stumbled and started to bleed.

Donghae's face was showing pure consternation and his whole body seemed to sink in more and more. His face was pale and his eyes were glassy, while his mouth was forming soundless words.

Sungmin was the first who finally got on his feet and went up to his best friend.
Congratulations, Hyuk“, he mumbled silently and smiled, before he hugged Hyukjae slightly and made space for the other band men, who were slowly standing up and complimented him.

Hyukjae tried to look find Donghae between the young men, but all he saw was a brief blinking of his bright red shirt, when Donghae left the room without any further words.

The silent sound of the shutting door made Hyukjae wince...

 

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -


 

After reams of sleepless nights with this story stuck in my head, I decided to finally write it down. I really hope you like it:)