The Game Day

Shori The Victory

Sensei’s hands are under me and I can feel her hands were touching to my abdomen. “Paddle Sato-kun, paddle and stretch out your hands.” She said again. I paddle as I could and I can make it but the problem is water keeps on entering to my mouth. Blergh…

Sensei’s hands let go of my body as it sank deeply. “Shall we try breathing? I need you to breathe in and out for ten times. Breathe in and go into the water and breathe out when get out of the water. Okay?”

“But Sakura sensei. This is too deep.” I said, sticking to the wall.

“Let us move to the other side. That one is a bit lower than here.” She said. Both of us slide to the lower part of the swimming pool and I started to practice my breathing there. After for 10 times, Sakura sensei got out from the water and took two boards.

“Here. Let us swim with these boards to the other side. Only for 250 meters. Don’t worry, I’ll be at your side.” She said. “First hold onto the board, both of your fingers must be at the top of the board. It is like you are grabbing to the rock when you do rock climbing and paddle like who have did just now.” She said. Sakura sensei let me hold to the board with one hand and the other is tightly hold to the wall as both of my legs were bent, in a ready mode.

When she said, “1,2 and 3!” both of us swam towards the other side but I was left behind at the wall. My legs couldn’t move and as if it is jammed at its spot. Sakura sensei realised I didn’t move and turned back. “Okay, I know.” She let me stretch my both of my arms to the board and my legs were bent, standing by on her laps. “When I say go then you must quickly pull your body up and paddle like what you have practice just now. Hold onto the board and don’t be afraid. I will be at your side.”

On count of 1,2 and go! She pushed me as my feet pushed her laps and here I go!~ I paddle to the other side of the pool and I can hear paddles from the back. I slowly turned around and saw Sakura sensei was catching my back. “Don’t look back!”

Oh-uh… “Sensei!!!!!!!”

A strong hold from behind and I can feel a soft lap as I sit onto it. “Now what you have done. How could you hit the wall? Never mind, use my board first. Your board is already went far from us. Continue paddling like just now but look to the front not back. Okay?” She said and flashed her smile. Every mistakes that I do, she will never scold me like a witch but still can flash a smile. I wonder how old she is.

After we reached to the other side of the pool, Sakura sensei gave another briefing on how important breathing is. She told me how to breathe while swimming and some other do’s and don’ts. I practiced the breathing again while paddling with the board. It was tiring at first but what can I do. I only have 6 days more before the real day.

I’ve been swimming for 4 hours and what I learn was breathing, paddling, and swimming with the board. I’m very happy that I don’t have to use tubes around my arms or the round tube to help me swim. In 4 hours, I’ve mastered the first part of the basics. “Our lesson ends here. Hope you can master for the next part that is the second part of the basic. And then we can go to the intermediate level.” She said.

“Thank you sensei.” I said. She climbed up the stairs and wiped her body with the towel from the bench. “Sensei, can I burrow your board for a while?” I asked.

“Yeah. Sure. You can return it to me next week. Don’t forget to bring for the next class.” She said. I nodded my head and practiced again what I have learnt. I made a few rounds and found Sakura sensei was still there sitting on the chair as the towel wrapped her wet body. She was watching me practice just now? O.o? Maybe it is enough for today. I need to go back before lunch.

“Since you are still here, I return this back to you, sensei.” I said and hand in the board to her.

“Sato-kun, if you don’t mind I ask one question.” She asked. I took the towel from the chair next to her and wiped my body as I took a seat after that.

“Sure.”

“What’ve made you think of swimming?” Well…..

“I have a crush on a girl in my school. It was a coincidence I heard that she likes a guy who knows how to swim. And unfortunately, there is a guy pushed me into a trouble. He told her that I’m good at swimming whereas I was not. That girl wanted to swim with me next month and I have no choice to take a class if not I will be the hot topic of the day. Everyone in the school will laugh at me just because I’m not good in swimming.” I explained.

“How awful. And then?”

“I’ve stopped swimming since the incident that happened to me 4 years back where I drowned in a swimming pool. At first, I have never problem in swimming and followed my friends for a swim. I didn't expect anything and swim happily. But then, my rubber duckling fell to the deep side of the pool so I wanted to get it when suddenly my legs cramped and drowned. Since then, I have phobias with a pool of water.”

“I see. Prectice more, you will make it someday. Good luck then! I have to go now. See you next week.” She said and took all her things and biding goodbyes.

“Wait, sensei. How old are you?” I asked, grabbing her wrist.

“I’m 15.” EH?! SHE IS IN THE SAME AGE AS ME!

“Really?! I’m 15 too. But…B-but you are already a sensei?!” I can’t believe it.

“Yeah. Please don’t call me sensei if we meet out of this club. I don’t want my schoolmates know about this, especially school.” She said and left me behind.

She is just 15. Same age as me. A girl who is in the same age as me is not my swimming tutor. How fascinating.


Another week of Saturday came and I rushed to the club after my light breakfast. The same thing I see when I entered the indoor pool, she was swimming gracefully as I took a seat at the chair watching her.

I got into the water after warming up and today’s lesson is floating without using a board or tubes. It was quite hard after 2 hours practicing and we moved on with backstroke. So, I’ve learned floating, breathing, backstroke, front crawl and gliding. In just two weeks, I can master a lot of swimming techniques and now I shall not afraid with the challenge anymore. I just need to concentrate and don’t panic.

This time, sensei thought me how to swim like a frog and butterfly . Damn it is hard. Please don’t mention it. It is like you are sweating in the water. “Sato-kun, do you wish to jump off the plane and beat me in a race?”

“Maybe I can give a try.” Both of us got onto the plane and getting ready with a pair of goggles on. We jumped in and glide in the water, I did normal front crawl and when I get out of the water, I looked at my side. Sensei did the dolphin at first then front crawl that made me a little bit left behind. Never mind, this is only for a practice.

-At the end-

“Hmm…not bad eh.. At least you already have the basic in your fingertips then it is enough.”

“Haha, really? This is all for your hard work. Thank you for teaching me.” I said and plastered a smile.

“No. I know you can do it. Your name brings the meaning of victory. Although this is just a minor activity, that mostly normal people do but when you take it seriously just to remove your bad dream it will be a big victory and success in it. Am I right, Mr. Victory? Hehe”

“Bingo!”

“Okay stop. Let us just back to the other side. This time if you win, I will treat you lunch but if not you have to pay me once. Deal?” She said.

“Deal. I can do it. I’m a victory!” I said and both of us raced back to the starting line. It was halfway when Sakura sensei speed up and left me a distance. Oh no you don’t!

*~*~*~*~

“Looks like I can save my money for this time.” Sakura sensei giggled and wiped her face.

“Fine. Deal is a deal. I’ll treat you lunch next week. Oh and by the way, can I postpone my class next Saturday? The game with my schoolmate is on next week. Can I?” I asked, shifting my gazes to her.

“Yes and by the way I was just wanted to tell you we postpone next week to the other following week. Because my friend asked me to accompany her to a swimming competition in one of this school. I have to go since I’ve promised her before. Is it okay if I add up two hours and the balance another two hours is on the next following week?” She asked.

“Great. I’m fine with it.”

I was chitchatting with Sakura sensei when suddenly we were been interrupted with a message from my phone.

    The game is next week. Make sure to bring your goggle along and good luck! – Matsushima Sou

At this time. Why he has to add up more nervous into my nerve?! I just don’t get this guy hates me so much. I mean what did I do in the past? As I remember I didn’t know anything neither talking to him like a friend.

-The game day-

I get ready with my swimming trunk and goggle in my hands when I walked into the swimming pool area, I found out a lot of people was sitting at the bench stairs and there were two lines separating three parts of the swimming pool.

“Hey friend! Are you ready for your big day?” One of the boys slung his arm around my shoulder.

“What is this? I thought it just between me and Miyuu-chan?” I asked, looking confused.

“Sorry Sato-kun for not informing you. I gave your name to represent our school for the district level. I hope you don’t mind.” She said cutely. Oh.My.God. Can I bang my head on the wall now? In front of these hundred people watching me?! Oh, I forgot I’m going to debut as a singer though, I must overcome this kind of fear.

“Calling Sato Shori from Horikoshi Gakuen to get ready and Nakajima Kento from….” Said the announcer.

“Good luck!” Said Miyuu-chan. She did this is on purpose? How did she know I’m good at swimming? Even I’m not at first.

“This is because she hates you to be the first. She doesn’t like you to be more popular than her crush.”

“WHAT?! Is that even related?! and who is her crush anyway?”

“You don't know? His name is Kikuchi Fuma. He is very well known with his cold side but because of that he didn't get the popularityhat Miyuu-chan wants. And of course. F.y.i… She wants him to be more popular than you. So this is how she wants to make you embarrass. And by the way, she knows that you can’t swim. She saw you last week.” Sou suddenly interrupt from behind. Like a ghost. Kikuchi Fuma? I have never seen him in my school. Maybe he has already transfer to other school. I was dumbfounded at this situtaion and someone hit me at the back. Okay what now? I turned around and saw another participant was putting on his goggle.

"You must be Sato Shori-kun? I'm Nakajima Kento, your opponent. May you have a great race today. Good luck!" He said, reached out his hand and flashed a smile.

"Haa.. Okay and you too." I said awkwardly and shooke my hand with him.

“Calling upon Sato Shori from Horikoshi Gakuen once again to get ready.”

This is not good. I thought it was just a normal game but not representing school of course! A while after that, I saw Sakura sensei, I mean Yuuzuki-san came into my view. She was looking around for an empty seat and I’m here; getting ready on this plane while Miyuu-chan was waiting at the waiting area, smirking like a diva. Now I know your true colour.