A Day in Yoona's Life

Perception of Beauty

 

 

"Wake up, Ugly!" my sister, Jisun, yelled as she shoved me off of my bed. "You still have to go buy some groceries at the market!"

 

I groaned as I stood up from the floor. "Sure, unnie. Just give me a few more minutes to prepare."

 

"Don't wash up. Just go out like that."

 

"But I'm still in my pajamas," I answered as I looked at my old clothes that are full of holes.

 

"Doesn't matter if you change your clothes or not. You'll still look gross anyway," she commented. "The money and the grocery list is with Shinyoung. Go get it from her before you go out."

 

She left the room, mumbling. "Ugly kid, I wonder where she got those genes from."

 

I went to my drawer beside my bed. I took a rubber band on top of it and tied my hair in a messy ponytail before going out of my room.

 

"Where's Shinyoung-unnie?" I asked my other sister who was busy sewing new clothes for herself since. I couldn't find the said girl inside our house.

 

"Dunno. Go find her yourself," she said.

 

I went outside our house and walked towards the field where I could see my sister feeding our pigs.

 

"Aigoo, such precious creatures," I heard her say as I went near her.

 

"Good morning, unnie," I greeted her.

 

Her smile turned into disgust as I caught her attention. "What's so good in the morning when one of the first people that I see every day is you?"

 

"The money and the list are on the table in the kitchen," Shinyoung unnie said as she went back to feed the livestock.

 

"Go now! Or else the fresh stuff will be gone!" she said as she shooed me away. "And don't forget to bring back the change!"

 

I walked back into the house and took the said money and list on top of the table.

 

Sigh...

The list of groceries is long yet unnie only gave me 5,000 Won. How am I supposed to buy all of these?

My unnies would definitely scold me again if I try to ask for more money.

 

Left with no choice, I went back to my room and took my piggy bank from under the bed. I emptied it all out. Weeks’ worth of savings gone in an instant. Well, it's not like I have a big allowance to start with.

 

"I'll be going now, Jisun-unnie," I bade goodbye. The said girl didn't even look at me nor acknowledge me. She was too busy with sewing to even care.

 

I trudged along the uncemented pathway towards the market. All along the way, the villagers who passed by me kept whispering to each other, snickering and laughing once in a while. Because of this, I kept my head low but still, I kept on hearing their harsh words.

 

"Is that the rumored ugliest girl here?" a teenage girl said.

 

"Yeah," her friend replied. "Look at her face. Her big animal-like eyes might pop out of its sockets soon. Hahaha..."

 

"Hahaha... I know. And see her complexion?" the girl added. "She's as white as a ghost!"

 

I walked away from them quickly. Their words hurt but I have to endure. All of them are true anyways.

 

Don't mind them...

Don't mind them at all...

 

As soon as I reached the marketplace, I looked for the cheapest stall and asked the vendor every item on the list and bought them with what my sisters gave me and my own money.

 

"Here you go," I handed the money to the ahjumma.

 

"Here are your purchases," the ahjumma said while giving me the bag of groceries in return.

 

"Thank you," I replied as I took the bag.

 

"If you don't have anything left to buy, leave my shop instantly. Your face is bad for my business," the stall owner said, shooing me away.

 

I exited the marketplace and went back home, walking again on the rocky and muddy path.

 

"Looks like I still have 1,000 Won left to put back in my piggy bank," I muttered to myself as I count my change.

 

I put the coins back in my pocket and resumed walking. Suddenly, I tripped. Some of the contents of the plastic bag rolled outside unto the dirty ground when I fell. I scrambled to gather those that rolled away, not minding the scratches on my knees and palms and my clothes that became dirty.

 

"Hahaha!" a group of little boys roared in laughter.

 

"Good job, boss," one of them said.

 

I looked up to see a boy with his knees stretched, smirking. He seems to be the leader of the troublemakers.

 

"Ugly noona tripped!" he started pointing his finger at me. "Ugly noona! Ugly noona!"

 

Soon enough, his friends decided to copy their leader's actions and started to point their fingers, shouting "Ugly noona" again and again.

 

I stood up and cleaned the items that I picked up using my own clothes, dirtying them even more. I tried to walk away from the group of boys but they kept on following me, still calling me names.

 

They'll give up soon anyways.

Endure this, Yoona.

Just ignore them...

 

Sure enough, they left me alone after not getting a reaction from me. When they finally left, tears started to pool in my eyes but I held them back. I can't let my unnies see that I am crying. They'll just laugh at me for being such a crybaby.

 

===

 

"What took you so long, slowpoke?" Shinyoung-unnie asked as she took the groceries from me as soon as I stepped inside the house. It seems like she was waiting for me the whole time.

 

"I'm sorry, unnie. Something came up," I replied.

 

"Were you flirting with the village boys again?" she scoffed. "It's pointless, you know. No matter how hard you try, no one will like you."

 

"Hey! Why are some of them dirty? You're too irresponsible! You should have checked its quality." she yelled as she took out the items from the bag. "And where's the change?! Did you think that I would forget that?"

 

I sighed as I handed her the 1,000 Won worth of coins that I was planning to drop into my piggy bank.

 

"Go wash up and then prepare our lunch. I don't want my food to be contaminated with your germs," she added.

 

I did as she commanded like always. And my day ended with chores, chores, and more chores. That is what I always do whenever I'm at home.

 

Just another average day in my life.