Nezumi's Secret

Tumbling Down 2

Later that afternoon Nezumi reluctantly made her way to the restaurant after receiving a text from Satoshi kindly asking her to reconsider her decision and bring over the list with names of possible sponsors since no one seemed to remember anything that they read. Normally she wouldn’t have done it just to spite them, or Wataru importantly since he was the one who talked down on her, but because it was Satoshi and he meant well, she decided to cut them some slack.

She opened the door and slowly entered, looking around for a second. It was rather quiet for this time of day except for the usual band of yankees and their tumbling team friends and strangely enough their team advisor.

“Ha?” she immediately heard Wataru respond. “You’re here again?”

She glared over at him before turning to Satoshi, “They are lucky that I actually like you...” she scoffed as she handed him the list that she pulled out of her pocket. “Good luck,” she saluted and turned around to walk away again.

“Ah, Nezumi-senpai!” Satoshi quickly called as he got up and took a bow, “Arigatou gozaimaa,” he smiled.

“Ah,” she nodded before leaving the restaurant. It was a nice gesture but she didn’t really care for gratefulness anymore. She had other things on her mind. Things that, considering the circumstances, she wasn’t even sure why she was even bothering to do. She didn’t want to be their friend or them to be nice to her, but the fact that she made an effort and they shot it down just like that just made her feel less motivated to go through with it. Then again, she did have some kind of honorable debt to pay back to them for recent events that had cost them quite a lot against their will.


Instead of taking her usual route home, she went a different path that led to a more expensive part of town, people who had more to spend and to claim and had more ego than any of the others. It was the only neighborhood that had some fencing here and there to keep out the yankees who mean trouble. You could say that this was a seperate kind of community.

She could feel the eyes burning in her skin as she passed the people who were on their way home, finishing some last chores or were just out to relax and breath the clear cool breeze of summer. She didn’t look like the person who was usually found in this kind of setting, she looked like the kind of person the fences were supposed to keep out, but she had gotten used to these kind of looks ever since she moved into town herself. She was here for just one purpose and she didn’t much care about what the others thought of her.

She stopped on the path that led to the entrance of one of the houses, or mansions was a better name for it. A path of light grey leading to a small stone step that stopped in front of a light brown wooden door with a shining gold door handle. Nezumi never understood why people would waste their money on a fancy door or even just the door knob, but then again she barely understood the live of the rich and famous so she didn’t really bother thinking more off it than being a sign of showing off their wealth.

Hesitantly she looked back and noticed a few heads quickly turning as she was staring their way. They sure weren’t used seeing a yankee freely walking around there, or maybe they were just surprised that she hadn’t had the urge to destroy something yet. Finally she turned around and pressed the doorbell, hearing the melody echo behind the doors as she waited and looked around once again. Ever since she got here she barely ever been in this part of town, mainly because she had no business coming here in the first place.

She waited for another second before impatiently ringing the bell once again, this time tapping her foot as she crossed her arms. They sure liked keeping their visitors waiting, any longer and Nezumi was actually considering breaking something. Or maybe they got lost in the hallways and entered another room instead of the main hall?

Finally the door opened and a rather surprised looking man opened the door. To her he seemed pretty old already and he was wearing a black suit. He was surprised to see her and a moment later stared down at her with a kind of condenscending look.

“Can I help you?”

“I’m here to see the old lady...” she scoffed and wanted to pass the man to get inside but was halted.

“Excuse me? Nanami-sama is a very busy lady.”

“I don’t care, she was the one who invited me...”

“I honestly doubt that,” the man slightly scoffed, “Please leave this property before I call the police.”

Before he could close the door she stormed inside, roughly pushing him aside as she entered the main hall. She didn’t like the look in his eyes as he stared down at her, she didn’t like the tone of voice in which he spoke to her and she certainly didn’t like being rudely locked outside after she had been invited here in the first place. She wasn’t tresspassing, she was a guest.

“Don’t make me call the guards,” he slightly growled, “Please leave immediately!”

“I am telling you,” she sighed frustratingly, “I was invited here! Go ask the old baba!”

“What is all this ruckus?” a voice ringed through the halls and as Nezumi looked up she noticed that Nanami had appeared at the top of the stairs, wearing another one of her expensive looking kimono’s.

“This idiot is trying to kick me out!” she growled. “Tell him I was invited!”

Nanami smirked for a moment as she stared down at the girl before turning to the elderly man, “Daijobu, Akira-san, she is a student from Karasumori High.”

“Ne~!” she scoffed as she crossed her arms and glared at the man who was now identified as Akira. Nezumi assumed he was her butler, a very old and annoying one at that.

“If you insist, ojosama,” he nodded as he closed the door and was on his way again.

“Nice slave...” she scoffed as she watched the man walk away.

The smirk had disappeared from the lady’s face as she had turned back to Nezumi with a frown, “You are late, what kind of impression is that supposed to make?”

She merely shrugged as she stuffed her hands in her pockets and observed the hall for a moment, “I had some other business to attend to...” she shrugged again, “Besides, it’s not my fault your stupid slave kept me waiting...”

“It is called patience,” she said as she ascended the flight of stairs quite gracefully, “You should always be at least fifteen minutes early to avoid these kind of mishaps...” she told her in an almost scolding way, “And if you decide to come dressed like that I suggest you use the back door next time, I am not sure if I want someone like you to be seen entering my peaceful home.”

Next time? What did she even mean by next time? And did that old hag just insult Nezumi whilst keeping her graceful exterior? She had to admit that it was quite a talent to do so, but that doesn’t change the fact that it was still very rude.

“I’m sure I’ve received glares from pretty much everyone living around here...” she tilted her head. “No one ever taught them that it’s rude to stare apparently...” she scoffed.

Nanami had stopped right in front of the girl and observed her from head to toe. She circled around her a few times, letting out some sounds of disapprovement and other emotions she couldn’t quite place other than being judgemental and rude.

“Ne~ Why did you invite me here? To insult me?”

The woman chuckled, “It was about the favor, but you just made it too easy for me.”

“How original,” she rolled her eyes. “What about the favor?”

Nanami stopped right in front of the girl again and looked at her straight this time, “Please, follow me.”

Reluctantly she followed Nanami through the hallway towards the other end of the building where a large ebony door lead the way into a huge and impressive office. Nezumi hadn’t expected it to be like this, but it sure was impressing her.

“I have decided to reconsider your request...” she spoke calmly as she made her way to the desk and sat down on the royal chair behind it.

“Eh?!” she let out surprised. That came completely unexpected. After their last conversation in the gymnasium she had given up all hope. And when she received the invite to meet with Nanami again, she had only prepared herself to try and convince her some more. Turns out it wasn’t even necessary. “You are going to sponsor the male tumbling team?!”

“So desu...”

“Ah! Unbelievable!” she laughed. “That’ll really show Wataru that...-”

“Dakedo...” she firmly interupted and Nezumi turned to the woman again. “I have some conditions for you to fulfill...”

“Eh...?”


The next morning Nezumi entered the classroom that was filled with loads of laughter and cheers. She wasn’t quite sure what was going on until Satoshi approached her with a wide smile on his face and that happy twinkle in his eyes.

“Dou natte iru no, Satoshi?” she tilted her head slightly.

“Ah~ Kitte, kitte!” he grinned as he pulled her towards the heavily cheering group. “Nanami-sama is going to sponsor our entry after all!”

“Eh? So desu ne?” she asked thoughtfully.

“Yatta! Kashiwagi did it!!” Nippori cheered on as he roughly punched the teacher’s shoulder.

He was slightly pushed aside and gave a humble grin, “Ano... Not exactly. At least... I didn’t think my apologies worked...” he scratched the back of his head.

Nezumi glanced at him for a moment before shrugging, “Sugoi, you are more convincing then you realise, sensei.”

“See! I told you we didn’t need your help for this,” Wataru smirked as he punched the air with his right fist.

“Hai...” she nodded slightly. “... Omedetou ne~” she nodded again before moving back to her own seat. Kashiwagi was right about one thing, his apologies didn’t help. But since all of them were so cheerful and so convinced that it did, she decided to keep it like that. After all, she had other things to do and if the word got out then it would ruin everything.

Mizusawa glanced over as Nezumi made her way back. There was just something in her reaction that didn’t quite add up to the situation or her normal behavior, but he seemed to be the only one to notice.

After class, as everyone was in a hurry to enjoy their break until the next class would start, Mizusawa decided to put an end to the questioning in his mind and after telling everyone he would meet them at the club house he went off to find Nezumi, only to find her to be the last one to leave the class for a change.

“Ne~ Nezumi...” he began as he entered the class again.

She looked up from her table on which she had been busy carving something in again which merely seemed like a doodle at this point.

“Doua no, Mizusawa?”

“Ano... Nanami-sama’s sudden change of heart...” he started and he could tell she knew exactly what he was going to bring up, “Wasn’t because of Kashiwagi, ne?”

She stared at him for a moment before sighing and picking up her bag. It was just all too easy to get away with, of course he would bring it up instead of just being happy they got the money for their entry. “Kashiwagi’s apologies might have been heartfelt but that old hag is not that easily convinced...”

“So how did you do it?”

“Let’s just say I made a little deal with the old hag...” she shrugged before looking up at him again with a faint smile, “Sarani, why would you worry about it?”

“Are you sure it’s okay? Especially without anyone knowing that you are the one who helped us?”

She shook her head, “Daijoubu, Mizusawa-kun!” she tried to assure him, “Let me worry about Nanami Asuka, you and everyone else just focus on the competition from now on.”

“Demo...”

“Dai-jou-bu!” she repeated as she patted his shoulder on each syllabil.

She gave a quick salute and left the classroom before he could ask any more questions and speak out any more worries. She knew what she was doing, or partly at least. As long as the outcome would be the same, it didn’t much matter to Nezumi.

“Ah, Nezumi-chan~”

She turned around to the voice who seemed to pop up at the most annoying moments.

“Nani?”

“What were you doing at Nanami-sama’s home last night?”

Nezumi froze for a moment. How was it possible that she knew about that? Did she overhear the conversation between Mizusawa and her?

“E-eh?”

She nodded, “I was talking a stroll and I saw you exit Nanami Asuka’s mansion...”

Now she remembered. The neighborhood that Nanami lived in was also the place where Michiyo lived, in the richer part of the town. She should’ve paid more attention, she had passed Michiyo’s home before, how could she forget about that.

“A-ano... I was there for... Delivery!” she quickly thought up, although she had no clue what she was talking about herself.

Michiyo frowned and tilted her head as she looked at the yankee girl, “Delivery?”

“Hai!” she nodded quickly. “Eto... Natsuko-san had a very busy night at the restaurant and Nanami-san’s butler called for an order. Wataru was too busy with his team and I was about to leave anyway so I proposed to help out and deliver it for her.” That must have been the quickest, most elaborate and hopefully convincing lie she had ever thought of. But she had to think of something, if Michiyo would get suspicious or find out about everything, she might tell the others and she didn’t want that.

Slowly the preppy girl nodded, “That is... So nice of you, Nezumi-chan,” a sudden grin appeared on her face. “I am so proud of you!”

“You are?” she doubtfully asked before quickly changing her mind, “I-I mean... What do you mean? I can be nice too, you know!” she scoffed. “I don’t need you to be proud of me!”

She smiled, “Of course not,” she gave her a pat on the shoulder, “Keep it up, Nezumi-chan. Ja matta!” with that she turned around and walked off with a slight bounce in her step. Was it really that special that she did something nice? Even if what she said she did wasn’t exactly what she did in reality but it came down to the same thing.

The next practice, the guys seemed in a better mood than the day before, and were more focused on their rehearsal. Now, more than ever, did they feel they had to perfect everything just to proof to Nanami that her change of mind about the funding was not in vain.

“Ryosuke-kun,” a voice called from the other side of the gym and the blond haired boy looked up, a grin immediately appearing on his face as he got off the mat and approached the girl who had called out to him. “Don’t forget to bend your knees in that back jump,” she adviced him as she had noticed them trying a synchronized backflip routine and spotted the few points that kept them from actually being in synch.

“Ah?” Ryosuke said thoughtfully, “Ah! I will,” he nodded then and the grin changed into a smile, “Thanks Michiyo-chan.”

“I’ve been telling you that the whole time,” Kaneko frowned as all of them joined the two.

“Shut up! Can’t you see they are bonding?” Nippori nudged his four-eyed teammate and the others started chuckling as Ryosuke turned around for a second and glared at him.

“It’s just a little advice,” she shrugged. “If both teams participate in the competition, we have to make sure that every prize goes home with the Karasumori teams, ne?”

“So desu!” Wataru nodded fiercely, “Let’s show everyone that Karasumori is the best school!”

Michiyo looked up and remembered something, “Ah, Wataru-kun,” she turned to him as a grin appeared on her face, “I hope you thanked Nezumi-chan for helping you out.”

Mizusawa’s eyes shot up and turned to Michiyo. Did she know about Nezumi and Nanami? Did Nezumi tell her or did she figure it out herself in some way? And did Nezumi give her permission to tell Wataru and the others about it or was this just an act on her own?

“Dou yu koto?” he frowned.

“It’s not everyday that Nezumi-chan does something nice for others, you know.”

He scoffed slightly, “I don’t know what you mean but so far Nezumi hasn’t done anything helpful or nice.”

“Well, she did make that list of names for us...” Hino added.

“I mean the delivery,” for which she received some confused looks, “The food she delivered at Nanami-sama’s place last night? Because you and your friends were busy with tumbling...”

“Eh?” he frowned again, completely lost on what the girl was talking about? What delivery? As far as he knew his mother’s restaurant didn’t deliver, it was just take-out or eat in but no deliveries.

Mizusawa on the other hand did catch what was going on. Nezumi had probably told Michiyo a lie about her visiting Nanami last night. She didn’t know anything about the deal that Nezumi apparently made for Nanami to reconsider the funding for both teams. “Ah! Don’t you remember, Wataru?” he quickly played along to avoid Nezumi’s plan to be revealed, “Nezumi left early last night and she brought along the delivery,” he forcefully nodded in Wataru’s direction but he still didn’t catch the clue.

“Minna~ Gather around!” Shoko-sensei clapped her hands and Michiyo looked back for a moment.

“Ah, well... Ganbare, ne?” she grinned before skipping back to the rest of her team.

As soon as Michiyo had left them, all the guys turned to Mizusawa and demanded an explantion. None of them really got what was going on, nor why Mizusawa was making things up that linked to Michiyo’s strange story.

“What was that all about?” Kiyama frowned.

Mizusawa hadn’t really thought of this when he joined in the act that Nezumi had set up. He managed to clear any suspicion with Michiyo, but now had to face his team.

“Nezumi didn’t deliver anything, did she?” Yuta nodded. “Your mother doesn’t do deliveries, ne?”

Nippori frowned “What was Nezumi doing at Nanami’s place then?”

Wataru shook his head, “Mizusawa...?”

“Ano...” he started hesitantly. He couldn’t tell them the real reason why Nezumi was there. He only partially knew what was going on so he wasn’t even the right person to explain the whole situation. “I just figure... Nezumi has something that she doesn’t want Michiyo to find out... So who are we to spoil that?” that was the best he could come up with and he just hoped that it was enough for them to believe.

“Mattaku...” Wataru growled, drawing his own conclusions of this whole situation. He turned around and marched out of the gym, slamming the door open forcefully as he walked out and heard it slam close behind him. Why was Nezumi over at Nanami’s place? She has no business being there unless she was trying to ruin things even more. Maybe, the reason she didn’t want Michiyo to find out about it was because she was trying to ruin the funding for her team as well, and when she got caught this was the only thing she could come up with. Maybe that was also why she reacted so dull to the announcement of this morning when she found out that Nanami changed her mind on funding their team as well. Was Nezumi really that selfish that she wanted to ruin everyone’s dreams? Had he been mistaken in her thinking she had actually changed and that she wasn’t that bad of a yankee at heart?

Not long after the door of the clubhouse opened rather roughly, the guys looked up from their position on the main floor as they had been waiting for Wataru to return after he stormed out like that. He marched in, forcefully dragging behind a very confused and irritated Nezumi who was trying to get out of the red-head’s grip around her arm.

“Wataru!” he growled, “Hanase yo!” he pulled her up in front of the group and let go of her arm as he crossed his own and glared at her. “What the heck?!”

“Wataru, what is going on?” Yuta asked rather confused himself.

“Why were you at Nanami’s place?” he immediately asked.

She glared back at him for a second before crossing her arms herself, “Anata no bijinesu no dore mo!”

“It is our business!” he growled at her. “You were trying to ruin it again, weren’t you?”

She sighed as she turned around to look at him, “You really think that bad of me that you immediately suspect me of trying to ruin pretty much everything?”

“So far you’ve done nothing but that,” he replied. “Tumbling means a lot to us, and to Michiyo’s team. We work hard and we have dreams, and everytime we get close to reaching our goal or reaching our dream you show up ruin everything! I bet you had hoped that Nanami didn’t reconsider her choice of sponsoring one team. I bet you wish that she had considered not sponsoring any teams, right?”

“That is not true,”

“Did you really want to ruin it, Nezumi-senpai?” Now even Satoshi was questioning her.

“It does seem a little suspicious...” Hino added.

“That is why you went there and when Michiyo busted you, you decided to lie!”

“Wataru!” Mizusawa shot up from his seat. Surely, Nezumi had caused them some problems once in a while but it wasn’t fair of Wataru to blame everything on her and make her the bad guy, especially since she had been the one who had managed to make Nanami change her mind. “Enough already!”

“Mizusawa?” Kiyama piped up.

“Daijobu, Mizusawa,” she sighed.

“What are you talking about?” Ryosuke wanted to know.

“Gomen, Nezumi, but this is not fair to you,” he frowned. He didn’t really get why she didn’t just explain everything and feel the need to rub it in Wataru’s face that she actually did something nice for them for a change. “You might think that Nezumi ruins everything, but the truth is, we owe our funding to Nezumi and not to Kashiwagi.”

“Nani?” Nippori tilted his head.

“Mizusawa...”

“Back when Nezumi and I were in the gym, I overheard her talking to Nanami-sama. She tried to talk her into funding our team for the competition...” he explained as he looked around for a moment. “And for some reason she managed to convince Nanami-sama last night, but she didn’t want anyone to find out so she made up the delivery story...” he turned to Nezumi.

There was a short silence as everyone let this new information sink in. Had they really been mistaken in Nezumi, expecting her to want to ruin everything?

“Is that true?” Kaneko frowned slightly.

Nezumi looked around the group for a second, ignoring Wataru who was still standing right behind her as she felt his eyes burn in her back. They all seemed to be rather surprised by this sudden reveal, and it looked like they had a hard time believing it. That’s what you get if you are so determined to blame it all on one person,

“Ah~” she tilted her head slightly with a sigh, “You’re so bad at keeping secrets,” she glared over at Mizusawa for a second. “A soul that breaks so easily...” she then turned to the group. “I guess I’ve been busted...”

“You mean you actually got Nanami-sama to listen to you?” Yuta asked.

“Hai,” she nodded proudly.

“Doa?”

“Don’t think I do it because I care so much about you or your stupid tumbling,” she said, without looking at Wataru. “But unlike you, I have a sense gratitude. Honestly you guys helped me back with Saburou while I ruined everything and put all your lives at stake. This is was an opportunity for me to repay my debt...” she sighed for a moment. “I don’t care if you guys think I’m a bad person, I did this for myself. You are just lucky the outcome is in your favor,” she turned around, glared at Wataru for a moment before she left the clubhouse again