Death

Evanish

The very next day, it was a Friday.

 

Doojoon had woken up exceptionally early despite not sleeping well the night earlier. He had trouble sleeping. He ended up not sleeping at all. However, he did not mind a bit.

 

Seeing his wife beside on their bed, he felt blissful.

 

He stood up quietly and headed for the kitchen. He had decided to cook up breakfast for his family and spend his quality time with them together. He even cancelled his important appointments so that he could concentrate on his family.

 

Sohyun came out of her room early as well and saw her father in the kitchen. At that moment, Doojoon screamed like a girl when the oil splattered on his skin. He mumbled to himself and prayed the breakfast cooking would go smoothly.

 

He spotted Sohyun at the wall staring at his act and asked her not to make a noise in case Gayoon was up. For the very first time after he came back from his Jeju trip, he saw Sohyun gave a small smile to him.

 

He felt like the world had lit up after seeing her expression. He went over to her and kissed her on the forehead, “That’s it, my girl. You should smile often. Smiling makes everything better, do you understand, Sohyun?”

 

Sohyun gave another bright smile to her father and he smiled back at her. Without a word, she hugged him back and kissed his cheek. Despite not speaking a word, Doojoon was happy to see her in a positive mindset instead of the expressionless self for the past days.

 

As he proceeded cooking, the sun had already risen.

 

Sohyun was waiting for his food while being extremely hungry. She tapped the table with her fork and pouted. Doojoon turned around and begged her, “Sorry, my dear. Daddy is trying very hard to cook this well. Be patient, okay?”

 

Sohyun closed her eyes slightly and nodded her head.

 

“I can’t be patient when it comes to food.”

 

“Oh my god! Ah!” Doojoon had been taken aback by that voice and burnt his hand, “Ouch!”

 

“Doojoon!” Gayoon went over to him and turned off the fire before attending to him. She placed his hand under cold running tap water and asked Sohyun to find the first-aid kit. After that, she led him to the couch where she dressed his wound. Sohyun merely watched them in silence at her kiddy chair.

 

Gayoon was nagging at his carelessness when she realized Doojoon was staring at her like a creepy stalker, “Stop looking at me like this and listen to me!”

 

“I am listening.” He touched her hand tenderly and held it tightly, “I can spend the rest of my life just staring at you. You might disappear if I blinked once.”

 

Finishing the bandaging, she noticed his eyes were red and swollen. She cupped his face with her hands and asked, “What happened to you? Is work tiring you out? Your eyes are red. Did you even sleep?”

 

He sniffed and shook his head repeatedly, “No, it’s nothing.”

 

Sohyun had brought a drawing to her parents and formed a heart shape with her fingers. It was a drawing of them at a theme park. Sohyun was seen holding pink candy floss with Doojoon and Gayoon holding hands and smiling.

 

“It’s beautiful, Sohyun.” Gayoon commented.

 

Doojoon pinched her cheek, “Do you want to go to the theme park, Sohyun?”

 

Sohyun nodded but Gayoon hesitated.

 

“Doojoon…”

 

He her hair lightly and said, “Sohyun hasn’t had a family gathering in ages. Besides, don’t you think she has gotten so much brighter? I think it’s an opportunity to take her out today. Look at the weather. It’s perfect for a theme park outing.”

 

Gayoon looked down, “Going out… I…”

 

“Ah! Do you know the theme park has a theme this week? It’s Halloween period and everyone is required to wear masks! We can do that, Gayoon. I know of this costume shop that sells masks. Sohyun, what kind of mask do you want?”

 

Sohyn clapped her hands and pointed at the Casper the Ghost CD that was placed on the table. That’s her favourite cartoon ever. Doojoon nodded, “Casper? Okay! I’ll be a vampire then! I’m Edward! Roar!”

 

“Ew, not that Twilight guy.” Gayoon acted with disgust but laughed at his lame imitation.

 

“Come on, Gayoon. Look at how excited Sohyun is. You don’t want to disappoint her right?” Doojoon held her hands and kissed it.

 

She deliberated for a long time before saying, “Okay. I’m wearing a pretty mask.”

 

“Your wish is granted.”

 

 

 

 

Before they headed off to the theme park, Sohyun was left at Fei’s house for babysitting. Doojoon had decided to bring Gayoon for dinner which he had arranged before leaving for Jeju for Gayoon’s birthday. They arrived outside Gayoon’s favourite restaurant hand in hand before she stopped her tracks in front of the entrance. Doojoon looked back at her, “What is it?”

 

“Maybe this isn’t a good idea…”

 

“What are you talking about? This reservation took me years to book! Come on, Gayoon. We’ll have fun together as a couple and get back to Sohyun as soon as possible.” He kissed her hand to ease her tension and pulled her in.

 

The host appeared with a menu and handed Doojoon the menu, “Hello Sir, did you make a reservation?”

 

“Yes, reservation for two under HyunA’s name.” He signaled.

 

He turned around when the host started checking the reservation list and whispered to Gayoon, “I paid HyunA good money to do this for me. That lucky woman.”

 

Gayoon gave a small smile and stayed quiet.

 

“Sir, I guess your other guest will be arriving shortly then?”

 

“Another guest?”

 

“You can take a seat first then. I’ll you to your seat, Sir.” The host smiled sweetly and brought Doojoon to a corner location where he and Gayoon first had their date together in the very same spot. The spot was beside a glass window which oversees the whole of Seoul and it was breathtaking.

 

“Sir, I’ll just leave the menu with you and you can start ordering when all of the guests arrive.” The host left without waiting for Doojoon to say anything.

 

Doojoon frowned, “This host is bad. I think she thought we had three guest when I said two. She left so quickly. The restaurant must be really busy.”

 

“Yeah… Just look at the crowd.” Gayoon looked around, “This place used to be really quiet and relaxing. No one really knew this place. Well, it’s filled with people now. Things do really change overtime.”

 

Doojoon nodded and asked, “The usual?”

 

“The usual.”

 

Doojoon raised his hand to call for the waitress and she came immediately, “Can I get anything for you?”

 

“I’ll have the seafood pasta and cheese baked rice.”

 

“Sir, two orders for you?” The waitress seemed confused, “Aren’t you waiting for another guest?”

 

“There’s no one else coming. Yes, two orders. I believe I said my orders loud and clear.” Doojoon was getting a little pissed with the service in this restaurant.

 

“I mean…” The waitress looked over to Gayoon’s seat and smiled nervously, “Certainly, Sir. I’ll be back with food as soon as possible. I apologize.”

 

Doojoon shook his head, “The service here is bad now. You’re right. Things do change overtime.”

 

As they continued their dinner together, Doojoon reached over to touch her hands and converse with Gayoon, appreciating the time they had together as a couple, without Sohyun. Times like that did not come easy. Having a child was fun and rewarding but spending time as a couple was what Doojoon really cherished.

 

Meanwhile, the other guests had their attention on the corner spot where Doojoon and Gayoon were sitting. They whispered among themselves and pointed at them.

 

Gayoon retreated her hand back, “Doojoon, other people are watching us.”

 

“They’re just jealous.”

 

“No, they’re not. I mean…”

 

“Gayoon…”

 

Gayoon simply smiled back and kept her hands to herself.

 

 

 

 

The three of them walked around the theme park and were exploring every inch of the place. Sohyun was exceptionally excited with her candy floss and pointing to every ride she wanted to play. As promised, she was wearing her Casper mask, Doojoon and his vampire mask and Gayoon was wearing a cat-woman mask.

 

They stopped at a stall which had shooting games.

 

“Sohyun, do you want that big bear?” Doojoon asked.

 

Sohyun nodded and grinned.

 

“Okay, Daddy shall get it for you. Watch!”

 

“Aigo, your daughter is really cute, sir! I hope you get the bear for her.” The stall owner commented and tapped her head playfully.

 

Doojoon nodded and thanked him before aiming at the cans that were quite far away. Gayoon simply stood beside him and smiled while he tried his best. However, he could not even hit on one. Seeing Sohyun’s smile fading every time he missed, he became more nervous.

 

Suddenly, he felt a burst of energy as he aimed for the bull’s eye.

 

Amazingly, he got it and scored fifty points at once. That was already enough for him to get the bear Sohyun wanted.

 

He was surprised and jumped up and down like a kid, “Oh my goodness! Did you see that, Sohyun? Daddy has done it!”

 

Sohyun clapped her hands as she was handed the bear from the owner. The owner congratulated her and smiled at Doojoon, “That was amazing, sir.”

 

“Did you see that, Gayoon? I did it! I did it!” He said to Gayoon who was standing beside Sohyun. She smiled lightly at her without saying anything.

 

The owner said, “Ah, your daughter’s name is Gayoon? It’s a pretty name.”

 

“No,” Doojoon added, “That’s my wife’s name. My daughter is Sohyun – Yoon Sohyun.”

 

“Your wife?”

 

“Yes, she’s right…” Doojoon turned to find Gayoon gone. Sohyun was simply staring at her bear and not aware of Gayoon’s disappearance. He bent down and asked Sohyun, “Where’s Mummy?”

 

Sohyun pointed behind her where Gayoon was staring at the ferris wheel alone.

 

“There! That’s my wife looking at the ferris wheel. Isn’t she beautiful?” Doojoon proudly announced.

 

“Oh yes… I can’t see anyone there I…” The owner was distracted for a moment and turned away, “I have other customers.”

 

“Okay…” Doojoon nodded. He smiled at himself for being silly. They were wearing masks so how would he know whether Gayoon was pretty anyway. He waved, “Good day.”

 

Doojoon held Sohyun’s hand and led her to Gayoon, “Gayoon! Why did you leave without saying anything? I was worried!”

 

“Silly, I’m still here. I’m just looking.” Her eyes focused on the wheel again.

 

Doojoon took her hand, “Would you like to ride that?”

 

“Will you ride with me?”

 

“Of course. Sohyun too.”

 

 

 

 

They spun around the wheel really slowly but the view ahead was beautiful. As Sohyun was star-struck by the view with her new friend (the bear), Doojoon was staring at Gayoon again. Gayoon frowned, “You’re creeping me out.”

 

“Is it wrong to look at my beautiful wife? I think I’ll keep looking at you till the day I die.” Doojoon spouted.

 

“No but… Something’s wrong with you lately. You have been very sweet lately. Not that I’m complaining but this is so not you, Doojoon.” Gayoon’s expression faded a little as she became serious, “What if… one day you’re not able to stare at me like this anymore?”

 

“What are you talking about?”

 

Gayoon looked at the view outside, “I mean… Life is rather unpredictable. Speaking about dying, what are you going to do if I die before you?”

 

“Don’t talk rot, Gayoon. This is not funny.”

 

Gayoon smiled, “It’s a scenario, Doojoon. Is it better to die before your spouse or die after?”

 

“I’ll make sure I die before you.”

 

“Are you going to leave me sad and alone forever?” Gayoon disapproved his opinion.

 

He shook his head, “No. I want to die before you because I would do anything to make you live as long as possible. If you need a transplant, I’ll give up every organ I have for you. If you need blood, I’ll drain it out for you. If you need anything to be alive, I would do anything for you.” Doojoon continued, “I can’t imagine Sohyun growing up without you. You have done so much for her. I can’t replace Sohyun with what you have given to her.”

 

Gayoon felt his sincere words touching her every core in her body. What had she done to deserve such a loving husband?

 

“Can you promise me something, Doojoon?” She bit her lips nervously when Doojoon widened his eyes to listen to what she had to say next, “If… I said… If… If I were to leave this world first, promise me you’ll stay strong and never give up on life. Even if you were to give up, always think of our daughter, So Hyun.”

 

“Why are you saying this...”

 

“Just promise me.” She interrupted.

 

Having his hands over her cheeks, he reluctantly agreed, “Okay, Gayoon. You will have to promise me to never talk about death anymore. Today’s a happy day and we won’t want to spoil So Hyun’s day, right?”

 

Gayoon looked out at the scenery once more before the last round of the ferris wheel. The scenery was exceptional pretty today but her heart was feeling the opposite. She turned to look at her husband and daughter who were having a little conversation on their own and put on a bittersweet smile.

 

She loved her family too much. She loved Doojoon. She had never regretted spending her time with him. She was more than happy to spend her entire life with the man before her. He had the dorkiest smile, most charismatic gestures and everything a husband should possessed. No doubt he’s not perfect but no one ever is – and she was able to deal with it.

 

The whole death talk was starting to sound silly to her. She did not want to die before him. She also did not want him to die before her.

 

She wanted them to be like this – all the time.

 

She gritted her teeth, “I want us to be like this forever. No one will ever separate us, Doojoon. No one.”

 

Not hearing a single word of Gayoon’s, Doojoon was hugging So Hyun and smiling to her daughter who was also looking at the scenery in amazement. 

 

Author's Note:

Just want to thank everyone who are still lurking here reading my story because I left it dead for so long. I guess it's time to bring it out of coma hehehe! Thank you for commenting. :)