— An Escape.

A Recollection
The girl runs through a maze of bookcases, nothing but a single candle lighting her way in the labyrinth-like library. She pants slightly, glancing behind her into the darkness, flailing the candle around at the dark space in front of her. Hot wax slides from the tip of the tall candle, dripping onto her hand, causing her to hiss violently. Her hiss forces her to remember that she is running— but from what? Frightened, the girl pushes herself to run more, panting and huffing from the effort of escaping. She looks around, frantic in her search for the one thing she needs, the one thing that can ensure her survival. The candle grows smaller as time goes on, the time being wasted as she stands and looks around in a large circle.

She stands in the center, six different paths leading six different ways. Path number one could lead to her goal, but so could the other five choices. She takes this into consideration, her eyes focusing on the candle in her hand that still grows smaller and smaller. With a new bout of determination, she pushes herself forward, entering the barrier of a new path, one she doesn't keep track of. She dashes through the maze, and soon she finds herself at a dead end. Frustrated, flustered, and exhausted, she slumps against the wall and lets a sob escape her lips. She drops the candle, watching through blurry vision as the candle rolls away into the darkness. A blob of light follows it, growing softer and softer as it rolls away, and then there's no more. The light of the candle goes out, the wic having been snuffed out, and then the girl is left alone in total darkness.

She slowly stands up, sniffling miserably and feeling her way to the edge of a bookcase. She walks down the length of it, her fingers gripping at whatever security she can find from the bookcase. Her toe connects with a slim item, and she instantly drops down to wrap her fingers around it. Finding it still hot from the wax that dripped down the sides, she brings the candle up to her chest; if it can't serve lighting purposes, it can serve hearing purposes. The girl inhales deeply and takes a step, her fingers running along the side of the bookcases as she retraces her steps. She soon finds herself standing in the center of the circle again, about to make a new choice, but something she sees stops her and simply amazes her.

In front of her stands a lady, illuminating brightness as the mood would. Dressed in all white, a long flowing dress drifting around her as if there is wind effecting the area around her, the girl has her eyes transfixed on the Lady. Long, white-blonde hair flows from her head, and a small smile touches her lips gently. Her eyes show nothing but security, and instantly the girl knows that her salvation has come. Eyes wide and full of wonder, the girl reaches a hand out to the Lady. She is entranced by the beauty that radiates from the Lady, and as their hands connect, she feels her breath catch in . The Lady leads her silently through the maze, hand in hand with the girl, and they stay quiet until the end of their journey. As they stand in front of the door that is the exit, the girl feels a sentence well up in and she grabs a hold of the Lady's dress, her breath catching again before she speaks the mere two words.

"Thank you."

Rather than replying with words, the Lady simply smiles in her charming way. She brings the girl close, presses a soft kiss to her forehead, and then pulls back. The Lady then holds her hands over the top of the candle, gently releasing a stream of air. She blows softly on the candle and then pulls her hands away. The girl watches as her light fades away, as the Lady slowly slips away, but then her eyes instantly fly to the candle once again and fixate on that item.

The girl smiles gently and eyes her newly lit candle, her eyes following the flame as it waves in the air. She looks up to where the Lady would have been, smiles softer, and then turns on her heel. With confidence, the girl finds herself walking through the door that serves as her escape, her fingers gripping the candle tightly.

If it wasn't for you, I never would have made it.