Birthday Bash

A Year In the Life of Two Lovers

 

A Year in the Life of Two Lovers
Chapter 1: Birthday Bash
 
Eun Mi stood beside her friend as they sang Happy Birthday to her. Today Noel would be 23 and Eun Mi was very happy for her. All the lights in the condo were shut off, the only lights that came inside were those from the other apartment buildings around them and the big 23 candle that had been lit on the cake. Noel's eyes glowed bright as she looked from her birthday cake to the many people in her condo. Her eyes were watering. Eun Mi held her hand and gave it a gentle squeeze. Noel squeezed it back.
 
"Happy Birthday to you!" The crowd finished singing. Noel blew out the candle and a cheer lifted from the crowd. The lights were turned back on and Noel had a big smile on her face.
 
"Thanks everyone." Noel said waving her hands in the air. "You guys are amazing!" 
 
The crowd laughed at Noel's sincere gracefulness. Eun Mi led her to the bathroom while someone tried to cut the cake. Eun Mi sat her down on the toilet and Noel started to cry her eyes out. This had been a surprise birthday party. It was a Saturday so all her friends should have been at work. Noel had planned to celebrate her birthday with a glass of wine and a movie. That had all gone done the drain when she came home from shopping with Eun Mi. 
 
"Mimi I hate you!" Noel cried blowing her nose. Mimi smiled.
 
"Is that how you treat me now Noel? After all this I did I don't get a thank you?"
 
"You babo I wasn't talking about the surprise. Well because of the surprise I cried and my mascara  is running." Noel said as she wiped up the tears mixed with mascara from her cheeks.
 
"Which is why I always tell you to buy the water proof ones." Mimi shook her head and reached into her dress pocket. "You never listen to me you know. At least it didn't get on your dress."
 
Noel had worn a short white dress with gold and silver patterns.  It complemented her dark skin very well. She also wore cute little sandals and her curly hair was let out and touched her shoulders framing her petite face.  Mimi had worn the exact same dress except this one was a light gold with shimmery white patterns instead. It also went with her dark skin complexion. Her hair was long and thick, usually it reached the center of her back but today she had decided to curl it. Now the sausage like curls bounced around her face reaching slightly below her shoulders.
 
"Thank you though." Noel whispered as Mimi reapplied her friends mascara, this time it was water resistant. "You're the best."
 
"First you hate me then you love me." Mimi said sarcastically. "You're bipolar."
 
"Nope I just love you. Actually I didn't notice your boyfriend. I'm happy you didn't bring him." Noel said standing up and opening the bathroom door. 
 
"Hm" was Mimi's short reply. 
 
Noel didn't like Michael who was Mimi's current man. She never had liked him because he had his suspicions about him, mainly that he was a player. Michael was a handsome man. He had milky white skin, with nice blond hair and gorgeous blue eyes. But that didn't change the fact that Noel hated him. Se had tried to convince Mimi not to get involved but she hadn't listened to her. Now her friend was more sad than happy these days and Noel knew exactly why. But she didn't tell her to break up with him because Noel knew that she really liked the guy. But it was her birthday and Noel didn't want to hear anything about him. Mimi hadn't even talked about him today much to Noel's relief. But the reason she hadn't spoken about him was because there was nothing to tell. Michael barely called her anymore. He would text her only if he needed something like a change of cloths, money or food. Mimi had confronted him about it a couple months ago and he had lashed put on her. He slapped Mimi in the face and pushed her to the floor calling her an insecure with no confidence in the only man who would ever be interested in her. Since then the relationship had turned abusive. Mimi would be hit for no real reason and he forced her to have sometimes. At least now he didn't  forcing her to sleep with him as often although he still hit her. She hadn't told Noel anything. She was planning to give him one last chance, one month tops before ending it. But she really liked him aside from him being so abusive and demeaning. This was her first love they had been going out for three years now so it wasn't easy to end it. She had spent so much time and effort in this relationship. Ending it would feel like she had given up on trying to fix it but at this point she knew there wasn't much left to fix. Giving him one more chance wouldn't hurt.
 
"Are you doing ok though?" Noel asked putting a hand on Mimi's side. Mimi winced and backed away. Michael  had given Mimi a wallop yesterday. He kicked her on her waist when she had told him about Noel's birthday. She hadn't asked him but told him which was what set him off. She had bruises all over her body and last night had been one of those rare occasions where he forced her to sleep with him. 
 
"Y-Yeah I'm ok." Mimi said plastering a fake smile on her face.  "But today is about you not me. Let's enjoy the party."
 
"Uh ok." Noel said giving Mimi a concerned look. "Eun Mi...."
 
"Yes?" Mimi asked a bit surprised she had used her full name.
 
"Is he hurting you?" She asked. Noel had picked up some hints that Mimi might be abused but she wasn't too sure. Although her intuition told her that Mimi was being hurt. She didn't want to bring that up and end up having her mad at her for thinking the worst of Michael. 
 
"Of course not silly." Mimi replied her smile faltering. "Why would he do that? Your being paranoid. Come on let's get back to the party before they think I kidnaped you."
 
Noel had been right. He response proved it. Mimi wasn't a good liar, her voice shot up a couple octaves and she had looked every where but at Noel. She could also hear her voice tremble like she was about to cry. Noel was going to put a stop to this. But not tonight. She had a feeling that this party was more for Mimi to forget about it all than to celebrate.
 
They returned to the party and immediately Noel was surrounded by well wishers.  Mimi was glad that everyone was able to come. She saw the way that Noel smiled brightly, happily and just with that Mimi was satisfied. As the party went on she decided to go get some air. She wasn't one for crowded places so she didn't stay in them often. For today she would endure more of it but she needed a breather.  
 
She stepped out of the living room and into the balcony. The cool night air hit her hot skin and she sighed blissfully. She leaned over the railing and laid her cheek on it. The wind continued to blow cooling her down. The fall was only a week away. Personally she enjoyed the fall more than any other season. You got to wear warm and fuzzy cloths, cuddle up with family and friends and celebrate the holidays. She just didn't want to spend her holidays with Michael. She loved him but she didn't want to be depressed for the holidays. She sighed and closed her eyes.
 
"Oh, I didn't know someone else was out here." Someone said as they opened the door to the balcony. Mimi didn't open her eyes. She had gotten a wallop last night after she had told Michael about Noel's birthday party. The key to the whole beating was because she had told him and hadn't asked. This time around the beating was worse than any other time. He was just plain furious with her. It was also one of those times where he forced her into bed. It was rare but it didn't mean it hurt any less. Even if she would unwillingly he would keep going until he was satisfied. Now she was tired, severely bruised and sore.
 
"It's alright." Mimi said keeping her eyes closed. She didn't want to back home to Michael tonight. She just wanted at least one peaceful night to sleep.
 
Jong Woon leaned on the other side of the railing. He was trying to give her space but that was next to impossible considering how small the balcony was. He looked up into the night sky and took a deep breath. His eyes to Hee and for a moment he couldn't breath. He had seen her before with Noel when they had sang happy birthday. Because they wore the same dress he hadn't paid attention to her face, he had just thought the two girls were adorable. But right now adorable was the furthest word from his mind. The dress hugged her subtle curves softly defining them, something that he couldn't see from far away. Her full lips were painted red drawing him to them. Then there was her hair. Jong Woon was attracted to women with long hair. He didn't mind women with short hair they weren't any less beautiful than women with long hair it was just his personal preference. Her hair was coiled into thick and full sausage like curls that interlocked with one another. The wind lifted a couple of stray strands into the air, playing with them. All he wanted to do was pat them down.
 
"Are you enjoying the party?" Mimi asked.
 
"I am." He replied quickly looking away afraid she had caught him staring. "Noel looks very happy."
 
That's when Mimi lifted her head and opened her eyes.  She looked out into the night sky that was illuminated by various city lights. She wished she could just become one of those lights, bright, distant and untouchable. All light is made by energy and once energy wasn't generated light would disappear. Disappearing sounded like something that wouldn't be so bad at the moment. She stretched out and yawned a bit. He hasn't noticed how smooth her light brown skin looked. It reminded him if a cup of sweet coffe not a blemish in the sweet brown liquid. Her eyes were big and  so dark they almost looked black. He felt as if she could swallow the whole world in them.
 
"I'm glad." She said so softly that he wasn't sure she had spoken. She turned to him and gave him a little broken smile. "I'm Lee Eun Mi by the way."
 
"Kim Jong Woon." He said nodding his head. She had bags under her eyes. It took away from her beautiful face. She seemed sad a completely different emotion that he had expected from her. He was about to say more when the balcony doors flew open. Noel stood there a half empty wine glass in her hands. Mimi looked from the wine glass back to her friend. Noel looked between Mimi and Jong Woon.
 
"Yesung!" Noel said with a contagious smile spreading on her lips. "We're playing karaoke! Come sing." She said holding his arm and pulling him back inside.
 
"Noel...maybe later?" He said looking back at Mimi who was still staring at Noel. 
 
"No now!" She whined then hiccuped followed by a fit of giggles.
 
"She's tipsy. She's not going to lists to you." Mimi said shaking her head. She went over and released Jong Woon from Noel's grip.
 
"Aww come on YeYe sing me a song! It's my birthday! YeYe! Yesung! KimJong Woon please!?" Noel asked.
 
"Alright. Alright I'm coming!" Jong Woon sighed in exasperation. He followed the girls inside.
 
"I'm not drunk!" Noel hissed under her breath glaring at Mimi. "He was going to hit on you!"
 
"How would you know?" Mimi hissed back. "All he wanted was a breather. Anyways I'm not interested so you don't have to worry."
 
"I'm a lot more worried that your not interested." Noel said shaking her head.
 
"Shut up and keep acting like your drunk." Mimi pinched Noel's arm causing a yelp from her friend.
 
They got to the living room which was still full of people but they were mostly seated on the floor since the couch could only occupy five people. Noel and Mimi stood by the side of the couch as Jong Woon picked a song and grabbed a mic.
 
"Why did you call him Yesung? Isn't his name Kim Jong Woon?" Mimi asked pretending to hold up her supposedly drunk friend. 
 
"Everyone calls him Yesung. It means art like voice." Noel shook her head. "He didn't tell you?"
 
"No. I still don't get why Yesung. He has a perfectly fine name." Mimi argued back. Noel gave her a pointed look.
 
"Mimi?" She asked sweetly.
 
"Him?" Mimi replied.
 
"Shut up and listen." Noel said her sweet voice becoming plain.
 
Mimi rolled her eyes but stayed quite nine the less. She watched as Jong Woon centered himself in the center of the the flat screen tv. She wondered why he wasn't facing the TV since the words were going to appear there. He looked at Mimi and they held each others gaze for a moment,they both felt that it was hard not to look at the other. Jong Woon had a strange sensation beginning to coarse through his body, it was need interlaced with want. He wanted to embrace her, touch her hair, her waist and feel just how soft her skin was underneath his fingers. Mimi felt strange it was something she couldn't explain but she felt inexplicably drawn to this guy. This man she had met a couple minutes ago. She looked away to the floor, the ceiling, then back at him. He gave her a shy smile and Mimi's heart skipped a beat.
 
"This one is dedicated to Noel the birthday girl." His voice flowed from the microphone to the speakers. He said it was for Noel but he kept looking at Mimi.
 
The song that he had selected was slow, soft and sweet. He hadn't thought about Noel at all while picking the song. The only person on his mind was Eun Mi. Lee Eun Mi with those sad piercing eyes, with her soft soothing voice and her milk chocolate skin. He wanted to know why she was so sad. A women as beautiful as her shouldn't have such dispare in her eyes. So as he sang all he could do was gaze down at her. All he could do was convey his wants to this women he didn't know through a song meant for her friend.
 
Mimi couldn't look away from him. His voice was in one word mesmerizing. He could put any woman under a spell with vocals so strong and powerful. He rode the rhythm of the song with powerful yet sweet ad libs. Now she understood exactly why the nicknamed him Yesung, his voice was truthfully art like. Mimi closed her eyes and as he sang all she could see was that same calm river she imagined earlier. The only disturbance were the rocks under the river making the rivers voice husky. 
 
The song ended. Mimi opened her eyes. He was still gazing at her.