Final

Heartbeat

 

Choi Sooyoung is sick she’s been suffering the same disease for over 3 years now and as years goes by she has not been getting better, but only turning for the worst.

Her doctors told her that she might make it for another year but the chances this time are around 80%, and the doctors are made to believe the impossible which can’t be seen in their faces.

For short she was a hopeless case.

Her heart is failing and there’s nothing that can stop it.

 

 

 

She had remembered perfectly the time she had started getting the symptoms.  Like how her breathing became more and more difficult or how tired she suddenly get just from a 5 minute walk or how there are times that her ankle got a bit swollen.

The symptoms went for a month before she had the urge to go to a doctor for a check-up; and when she did her world shattered upon the news the doctor gave her.

Her heart was failing.

She had done all the required tests, procedures and medication her doctors had given her but in the span of time nothing had made her heart stable.

She also opted for an operation but she can’t go through it easily because she has coagulopathy or what the doctors says bleeding disorder and with her AB negative blood it’s hard to find for a donor with such requirements.

Sometime in her 2nd year of being ill, she had quite accepted the fact that she may no longer have the chance to lengthen her lifespan so she had retired from her school as a 3rd year Music student major in Violin and return to her parent’s place in the province where she would like to spend her remaining time.

That is where she had met Cho Kyuhyun the town’s infamous impish dork.

 

 

 

“Congratulations for surviving another spring Sooyoungie” Kyuhyun had made his usual playful smirk as they sat towards the edge of the cliff overlooking the ocean.

It was no secret that Sooyoung was sick.  In this small town where her parents and now she had live in, it was quite easier to spread certain information in the form of gossip around especially if it involves a certain new comer such as her.

She breathed “Yeah.  Thanks I guess”

“Hey brighten up, at least you had spent your time with me” he winked which made the woman of the two frown.

“If I was not weak enough, I’ll strangle you right this instant”

Kyuhyun laughed at her statement as he set his eyes now on the impending sunset not seeing how Sooyoung made a painfully beautiful sad smile.

 

 

 

Meeting Cho Kyuhyun was like a breath of fresh air to her, she had hated how he had made himself so comfortable towards her on her first week of stay, not to mention how he don’t seem to pity her of her condition which she felt silently grateful for.

At least in a foreign place there was someone who she can call a friend.

For some time now he had always stuck himself to her side making her wonder why he was not in school or work which he always shrug the matter off.

The only thing she knows about him is that he’s a dork for starcraft.  He would play one with her during their early afternoons in her room always resulting to her loosing thus having her to treat him to an ice cream every time.

“Come on Kyu, how you can rob a dying lady with ice cream every time?” she pouted holding her ice creams as she gave Kyuhyun’s plain chocolate flavored ice cream leaving with her Chocó mint flavored one.

Kyuhyun laughed heartily as he patted Sooyoung on the back “Come on were talking about ice creams right? And it’s not my fault I keep on winning our game every time” he stressed on every time before taking a bite on his ice cream.

“Fine fine you impish dork” she grimaced but quickly smiled in satisfaction as she got her first bite of her ice cream.

 

 

It was never a problem to her how Cho Kyuhyun was always a mysterious person despite the mischievous happy demeanor he always displayed around her.

She thinks that having a friend who certainly understands her is enough.  If he doesn’t want to share more then it’s his call, prying into other people’s business in not her style.

But as days goes by, she can’t help to want to know more about him. 

“Hey mom” she had walked towards her mother one afternoon who was at the kitchen making some snacks.

“Oh you hungry already?”

“No mom...I-I just want to ask something” she started, taking a big amount of air as she breathed.

“What is it then?” her mother halted her preparations and had fully faced Sooyoung with a gentle encouraging smile.

Her mother had suffered the worst in the whole ordeal.  She knew how she seems to put up a brave front just to hear her break down in hushed sobs every night.

“Do you…Do you know anything about…”she hesitated at first but continued nonetheless “about Cho Kyuhyun, I mean it’s a small town and you know almost all the people here so yeah”

She played with the hems of her shirt as she waited for her mother’s reply.

“Cho…Kyuhyun huh.  How’d you know him exactly honey?”

What was it with her mom that just the mention of her friend’s name made her mom seemed more…sad.

She just shrugged at her mother’s question and continued to stare at her as if she’s gorging her of answers.

“He’s my friend’s child.  A nice kid actually, a bit mischievous but normal for boys his age.  He’s 2 years your senior and he’s…honey wait are you okay?” her voice now then coated with worry as Sooyoung suddenly found it hard to breathe again.

Great just great.

Just when she finally starting to know about him a little more, her damn sickness is acting up again.

Her vision started growing dim and her body swayed as her knees buckled, having her mom rushed towards her side catching her in time before she touched the hard floor as she black out.

 

 

 

“Good morning sunshine”

She had trouble focusing her eyes on the source of the voice; but when she finally focused on the person she widened her eyes in shock.

Kyuhyun

“Wow you were out for the longest time” he smiled taking amusement in her momentarily shock.

Sooyoung glanced at the window in her bedroom and it was dark. 

What time is it exactly? And how did he suddenly get here?

“No speaking? Hey Kyuhyun doesn’t like to just sit here and have a staring contest with you but if Sooyoungie likes it then Kyuhyun’s up for it” he grinned as he fake focused on only staring at her which made the brunette uncomfortable.

Her heart skips a beat.

“Quit that Kyu” she frowned trying so hard to stable her already unstable heart.

“Quit what exactly?” he grinned still ignoring her glare and stared.

“Quit your annoying third person talk AND eye staring stuff” she huffed earning her an earnest laugh from the latter.

“What are you doing here anyway? And what time is it? And lastly how’d you come up here?” she asked.

“Woah woah woah. Too many questions it’s making the almighty Kyuhyun’s head hurt” he frowned but seeing her glare made him to continue.

“Fine. First, I just like to be here. Second, time is not essential. And lastly the window” he sighed then pointed toward the sole window on her room.

Her eyes widened again.  Her room is on the 2nd floor and having the knowledge that he would climb all the way here in the middle of the night made her heart flutter yet utterly perplexed as well.

She breathed to calm herself she couldn’t afford for another attack, though in her attempt she had a slight coughing fit.

“Hey relax–“he patted her back “–you look like you’ve seen a ghost” he joked just to lighten up the mood.

She smiled after letting the coughing fit die down; she finally understood why she suddenly wanted to know more about him.  Why she loves having him around though they kept on bickering almost half of the time they were together.  Now she knows why, she didn’t notice how it happened or when it did but at least she now knows why.

Her failing heart has fallen for this mischievous dork.

 

 

 

Her last check up with her doctor didn’t end up great.

Her chances of surviving for another year had gone down to 50%, and if she’ll have another attack then her chances might go even lower until her attacks will get her a cardiac arrest.

After her meet up with the doctor she had refused to go home and went to the cliff where she and Kyuhyun usually hang out if they’re not playing starcraft or getting ice cream.

She sat at the edge eyes trained on the horizon just feeling the ocean breeze on her face.

She smiled despite herself, how can she find everything to be so beautiful when she feels everything but beautiful.

Silent tears escaped her soulful brown eyes as she kept her stare over the horizon.

She thought she had accepted the fact and just waiting out her death, but after meeting Kyuhyun she had unconsciously hoped for the better, hoped that she’ll survive this.  That something would happen and a donor with her requirements would come sporting the blood she’ll need for the surgery.

She felt bitter all of a sudden.  How could her heart betray her like this?

First it decided to deteriorate now it decided to like someone.  This is unfair.

Everything is so unfair and she hates her heart the most.

She let every tear escaped her eyes as she sobbed not realizing that a certain person was just watching her from a far.

 

 

 

It’s been days and she hadn’t seen Kyuhyun even his shadow once.  It pained her yet she also felt quite grateful.

She needed space.

She needed time.

Though time is not as merciful as space since she knew her time is quite ticking out.

She missed him.

She wants him.

She needs him.

But she also knows that she can’t get what she want especially knowing that she’ll just die soon.

She didn’t want to leave him all alone being burdened with all the pain and the hurt she might cause him if they’ll end up together.

But most importantly she didn’t even know if he’ll love her back because he do love her and not through pity.

“Hey”

If she would have the strength she would jump out of shock but she just flinched at the sudden voice while she sat still at her rocking chair on their porch.

She weakly turned her face towards the owner of that voice.

“Been long huh, sorry got matters to attend too” he smiled shyly.

Sooyoung arched her eyebrow at that.

“Matters…It’s fine, it’s not like you need to be stuck with me all every time” she smiled weakly.

You don’t need to see me deteriorating like this.

Kyuhyun laughed. 

Oh how she missed his carefree laugh.  But she restrained herself; she can’t go overboard with her emotions.

“I missed you Sooyoungie” he grinned at her like everything’s fine, like everything’s going for the better again, like he was there and she shouldn’t need to worry about everything.

Her smile slowly wears off until it was replaced with a sobbing face.

Kyuhyun hadn’t inched closer as Sooyoung cried – hands grabbing her blanket hard.

They had stayed like that for quite some time until the first star had appeared on the warm night sky.

 

 

 

Kyuhyun showed up the next day all cheery and bright not even bothered to ask her about her sudden break down.

“I’m tired” she sighed feeling her eyelids grow heavier by the seconds.

“Its fine…just rest for a while don’t worry when you wake up everything will get better” she couldn’t understand her feelings but hearing him said those words it brought her a tinge of sadness.

She smiled for him one last time before she welcomed the comfort of her bed and doze off not catching Kyuhyun’s whisper towards her.

 

 

 

When she woke up she had not seen Kyuhyun. It was dark outside so it was clearly evening so she believed that maybe Kyuhyun already went home by then.

She struggled to stand up and walked slowly down the stairs since she wants to drink some water but on her way down she had heard her mother talking to the phone.

It might be her dad she thought but the dread and sadness in her tone didn’t make her comfortable.

“Mom” she called.

“Y-yes?” her mother had rushed towards the stairs helping her at the last few steps.

“Who was that on the phone?”

“It’s…your doctor” she sighed not meeting her eyes.

“What about?”

“They…finally had found a donor for you…” she paused letting that sink in.

Sooyoung suddenly had tears out from her eyes she felt a wave of joy and hope rushing towards her making her knees buckle in glee.

But most of all the thoughts of sharing a new life with Kyuhyun made her cry her eyes out in joy.  Finally she can have a life with him, finally she can confess her feelings, and finally she can have a chance in love.

 

 

 

After the call her mom got, she had her operation the next day. 

The operation was crucial especially with her bleeding disorder, but just like miracle the operation went smoothly.  They had enough AB negative blood to sustain her and it seems like that her body didn’t reject the donor’s heart.

The next time she opened her eyes, white lights welcomed her line of vision.

She was now laid on her hospital bed; a smile crept on her face upon the sight of her mom at the side of her bed napping.

A little movement from her woke her mother up.

“Sorry mom” she slurred.

“It’s okay honey.  How you feeling? The operation went successful.  The doctors even said you can live your life fully now…” she paused as tears welled up on her eyes “…they said it was a miracle how you suddenly got a d-donor…and everything went well”

Her smile widened reaching weakly towards her mother, wiping her tears away. “Thank you mom, thank you for everything and sorry for everything” she felt tears trickled down at the side of her face yet her smile was still evident.

“Mom will always be here for you honey.  Your dad too, actually he’s conversing with your doctor right about now”

“Mom…have you…have you seen Kyuhyun around?” she asked as she can’t wait to see him.

Her mom’s smile faltered.

“Honey why don’t you rest first and let’s talk again later okay?” she had kissed Sooyoung on the forehead before exiting her room.

 

 

 

The doctors had finally let her go home, and she couldn’t wait to see Kyuhyun again.

That kid should have an earful from her especially that not once had he visited her.  But she couldn’t care less, all she cared about that she’ll see him again.

A woman was standing on their porch holding an envelope as Sooyoung and her parents approached the house.

In her stay in the town, she had only seen the woman rarely, and when she does have a glimpse of her she looks worse and worse.

Her father and mother had regarded the woman and had a quick silent conversation before entering the house leaving Sooyoung with her.

“Hi there” she smiled.

Her appearance from before changed, now she had an air of peace surrounding her; although she looked she hadn’t sleep in days, her smile still bring warmth and peace.

“Uhm…hi” she replied awkwardly.

“Do you perhaps know me?” she had asked.

Sooyoung shook her head at her inquiry.

“Of course of course, that boy won’t talked about me.  Even so, I’m Cho Ye Seo Kyuhyun’s mother”

Sooyoung widened her eyes before bowing at the woman before her.  This was the first time she had met his mother, which was not shocking since Kyuhyun never spoke of his self.

“I apologize for not knowing Mrs. Cho”

“It’s alright; I knew that boy would do this…Anyway I want to thank you and to congratulate you”

“Thanked me?” she asked not believing her ears, why would Kyuhyun’s mother whom she never met suddenly thanked her?

“You brought new meaning to my son’s life” she smile yet her tone wavers.

“H-He was the one who brought new meaning to my life…I couldn’t thanked him enough for the time he had spent with me” she had suddenly have the urge to display her case.

“I cannot say more…here,  Kyuhyun wants me to give this to you” she smiled ruefully as she handed Sooyoung the enveloped.

Sooyoung hesitated “W-why can’t Kyuhyun give me this himself?” Kyuhyun’s mother shook her head as she urges Sooyoung to get the enveloped.

This time with shaking hands did reach have the envelope from Kyuhyun’s mother.

With a quick hug, Kyuhyun’s mother left.

 

 

 

Sooyoung didn’t like what she was feeling and her sudden encounter with Kyu’s mother didn’t help to ease her dread at all.

Without permission she had marched her way towards their usual spot – the edge of the cliff.  With trembling fingers she had carefully opened the envelope and revealed a letter and a miniature hourglass complete with sand necklace.

She had unfolded the letter and read it.

 

Yo Sooyoungie!

                Sup? How are you feeling? I hope everything’s fine now for you.  You see Sooyoungie you can’t see me anymore.  As much as I want to hang out with you, I can’t because I’m going to a far far away place.  Truth be told, I’m dying. HAHA. And I don’t have even the slightest chance to live because I have a stage 4 brain cancer. Now don’t get mushy with me okay? You of all people should know how we hate being pitied at.

Sooyoung let the first few tears trickle silently at the side of her face.

So yeah since I’m just waiting out my imminent death, I lost the drive to live, so I just wasted out my life in my room and play a lot of starcraft /now that is why you can never beat me to it/ LOL. But when I heard about you coming here because you too were sick, I wanted to see you to know that I’m not the only unlucky person in the face of the earth.

“You starcraft dork” she snickered though her tears trickled continually.

Now here’s the hard part.  When we became friends, you stirred something in me.  I found myself falling for you.  Every action even in the tiniest details has etched itself in my mind. Being with you I felt so alive and free.  And I thank you; I really do because if I hadn’t known you then I wouldn’t learn how to love, wouldn’t learn how to live life to the fullest.

So when I learned that you still had a chance in life, I tried to give you that chance.  And hey I told you I’m the almighty Kyuhyun, since I’m the perfect match for you.  Funny that even my heart and blood matched yours, I am so made for you.

Sooyoung had covered as she choked back a sob. 

He loves her and he gave his heart and blood for her.

                Remember when I said “Time is not essential” well it’s true; when I’m with you I forgot the horrors of time ticking – clocking away with my untimely death.  But now I want to give you a new beginning.  Take care my heart for me arasso? My heart is now happy because it’s now beating for you.

                I love you Sooyoungie I really do, if only I could wish to spend a lifetime with you but I can’t – not in that way possible.  Please live your life to the fullest, love and be loved.  I wish I could give you these things but I can only give you my heart.

                Live well. Take care and I love you.

 

Your forever impish dork,

The Almighty Cho Kyuhyun

 

P.S  That hourglass pendant has a little bit of my “future ashes” just so you know so take care of it for me too okay! HAHAHA

P.S # 2 I Know I’m weird but hey I LOVE YOU! <3

 

 

Sooyoung cried as she placed her hand on her heart. 

She could feel Kyuhyun’s heart beating on her chest.

She smiled despite herself as she slowly dried her tears and wore the necklace he had given her.

“I’ll live for you Kyuhyun.  Thank you and I love you too so much.  Watch me from there okay?” she smiled as she looked over the horizon feeling the wind in her face as she grabs the pendant in her hand.

 

“See you in the next life Kyu, by that time I’ll love you thrice as much as I love you in this lifetime

 

 


Authors Note: Here's the one shot guys :) Thank You very much especially to Pinboo-Unnie for the contest :)
READ. COMMENT. SUBSCRIBE. UPVOTE Pleaseu *throws hearts everywhere*

Till next time. Adios~

XOXO