[ o n e ]

When Forever Died

 

 [ c h a p t e r . o n e ]
 
My grip on the black leather steering wheel of my vehicle tightened. My hair covered half of my face, but I didn't bother brushing it away. I swiveled the car to the right, immediately seeing the gray well-built building positioned just few blocks away. Cars in front of me stopped and I stopped too. I groaned in frustation and banged on the horn repeatedly. I was so close. 
 
 
 
The cars moved slowly and mine soon followed. Upon reaching the entrance, guards checked my car, every inch of it, before giving me the signal of moving on. I continued to fit my car into a narrow parking space just two spaces away from the small entrance of the main building. Once entering, the humid air of the prison cell hit me with full force. I scrunched my nose up at the punget aroma of sweat and the paint of the walls peeling together like dried skin. I called to Andrew, the officer who was seated near me almost dozing off. "Hey Andy! Can you bring him out?" I pleaded. He gave me an innoticeable nod. Standing up with a screech of his chair, I made my way to a plastic white table. I sat there with my fingers drumming against the white material.
 
 
 
I felt myself smile, upon seeing the faint reflection of him embrodied on the table. I turned around to see Andrew inspecting every inch of Kai. Once satisfied, he grunted and let Kai sit directly in front of me. A full blown smirk appeared on his face. The anxiety was clear on my face. It's been two months seen I've been able to visit him in the prison. I was loaded with paperwork. "Hey Kai. I missed you." I whispered, and he took my petite hand into his strong raspy ones. 
 
 
 
"I missed you too, Alice." 
 
 
 
We talked about current events and what was happening all around. Inside the cells, he had seen people being executed. He was - to say the least, - scared. He was rough and tough on the outside. But inside, I knew that Kai was sensitive. He was like any other human being. He had emotions that ran in his body twenty four seven. 
 
 
He bit his lip as I flailed on, telling him about my experiences at work. I was new at Starbucks. I've been working for at least two weeks. It was a nice experience. In between, I would always notice Kai looking steadily at me and then fixating his eyes on something else.
 
 
I wanted to ask.
 
 
But I didn't. He probably wanted privacy. I opened my mouth to change the topic from my job to another one, but he broke my chance.
 
 
"I'm sentenced to death."
 
 
I stopped. My eyes were fixated on the table, my hands numb. My cheeks immediately grew warmer and my stance tensed. "What?"
 
 
"I'm being executed on April."
 
 
"What?"
 
 
"The sentence was given today."
 
 
"Dammit Kai! Stop joking around. This isn't funny!" I screamed, relieved that I was the only visitor in the cell at this time. Tear brimmed in my eyes and I had stood up from my chair, my hands gripping the table tightly. "Stop it!"
 
 
"It's true!" He looked up at me. I stopped immediately, swallowing the lump in my throat. I was shocked. He had tears in his eyes. Kai - he was about to burst into tears. "N-no . . ." I gasped, before falling to my chair. Kai was calm and relaxed though the water forming in his eyes told me otherwise. The pain and anger in the pair of eyes. They were staring right at me.
 
 
I stared back. For once in my life, I've never felt so scared in my entire life. 
 
 
I loved Kai and I could never imagine myself without that erted man. As sick as it sounded, I would die without him. As cliche as it is, without him, there is no me. No Alice Rin. 
 
 
Our story?
 
 
It started on the 3rd of October, 2007. We were young. We had no idea who the other one was. Until, of course, that piece of bubblegum lodged inside my mouth flew in the air because of my strong laughter, landing in his delicate hair.
 
 
I laughed so much that day. That was probably the day I lost my sense to laugh again because I ran out of laughter. He was angry and irritated. He shouted at me. And me, being arrogant, mischievous, and not one to back down; I shouted at him too. We fought until an old teacher passing by screamed at us. She walked away muttering a, "The young generation these days!"
 
 
He had forced me to treat him to lunch as apology. As a good person, I bought him lunch. As a rebel, I threw it at his face. We got stuck in a food war. We were called to the principal's office and then sent home. It was raining and I didn't have a car or an umbrella. I had to face the music and walk in the pouring rain.
 
 
I might have gotten sick that day if Kai didn't spot me with the troubled expression. He offered to give me a ride. I refused. He grunted, picked me up by the waist, put me on his shoulder, and sat me on the back of his motorcycle. Before he got on, I was ready to escape and run. But he found a chance and stuck a helmet to my head. With a smirk, he started the motorcycle and revved it out of the parking lot. I, being a coward most times, screamed and lunged at his waist. I gripped onto him tightly, giving him directions.
 
 
Once I reached my house, I gave him a thank you. I got of his motorcycle and as a tease, pushed him off. I ran to the door. Before closing it, I saw him rubbing his back with a glare to my direction, yet a small, subtle, warm smile on his face. I smiled back, poked my tongue out at him, and closed the door.
 
 
That was when I realized that I may have acquired a teeny tiny crush on a stranger.
 
 
What was weird? 
 
 
I forgot to ask his name.
 
 
The next day, he came up to me. He told me he forgot to ask my name, I chuckled, told him my name, and then asked his. Kim Jong-in. That was his name. He became my friend. He was sweet, affectionate, though he had the tough guy act and the rebel attitude. He had a smirk that allured me. A smile that made me smile. 
 
 
And an attitude that made me whole.
 
 
I met him - October 3.
 
 
I started crushing on him on October 27.
 
 
I admitted my feelings for him on September 5.
 
 
He became my boyfriend on September 7.
 
 
I fell for him.
 
 
When?
 
 
 
I'm not sure.
 
 
 
But I know that everyday I keep falling for him. And everyday, I find something new to admire about him.
 
And everyday after April 10, I find myself crying over him.