My Life

Wait? My Fiance is in NU'EST?!

'Hana come downstairs' Umma yelled down, I swear they think I’m a servant who works for them, not a 20 year old trying to apply for university or a job. I sigh and put down my laptop and math notes and shuffle down the hall in my slippers till I reach the stairs.

My house is modern and big, well what would you expect Umma has 4 kids: the eldest Oppa, Kris (25) is a lawyer and has recently moved out with his new wife. Then there is my two Donsaeng’s, twins even though they're different genders Minki and Maeri (4) could have me fooled, they are practically identical and a right handful. Then that leaves me, Hana second eldest and slave of the household. Apart from Kris I believe, the twins and I were adopted. The twins were adopted from a family friend when they were born and I’m a complete odd ball. I was adopted at the age of 12, when Umma and Appa lived in England so I have a strange accent. When I’m not studying or trying to spend time with my friends I’m here, at home being trained into a proper housewife.

I approached the front room, Umma always rests in there as its one of the few traditional rooms this house owns. I knocked timidly on the thin roller door and climbed with as much grace possible over the different leveled flooring, or I would have done if I hadn’t tripped and fell face first onto the floor, how embarrassing. I heard Umma gasp in shock and I also heard an unfamiliar male laugh… I felt my cheeks burn bright red, I have just fell over. In front of a stranger. Why? My automatic reaction pushes myself up and as I apologised for my incident, I see that Umma and Appa are sitting at one side of a table and sat opposite was the guy and I’m assuming his Umma and Appa also. Muttering another apology I sat opposite the guy where he smirked obviously amused by my entertainment. My next shock was, everybody was speaking English… the guests speaking with an American accent. So as conversations go this one started very badly, and it could only get worse from then in.

‘Hana, this is the Kwak family their son has recently moved to Korea to pursue a career in music, or two families have been acquainted for the past few years and we have come to join our families together, through you and YoungMin.’ Maybe Umma should have waited till I had finished my drink as I ended up choking and spluttering.

‘What? How come I only heard about it now? What about the twins? University?’ I rattled off my list forgetting completely about the Kwak’s sitting across the table.

‘Aigoo, so embarrassing. Will you please shut up Hana, let us finish.’ An hour later all the decisions had been finalised. My parents and I walked my in-laws and fiancé to the door and wished them a safe journey.

Oh my God, I’m engaged!