Seven

Shelter

(Nayeon's POV)

 

I honestly didn’t know what to do in this situation.

 

Nervously, I bowed again, this time deeper than I would normally do to my customers, since I knew this was not just a normal customer. I awkwardly sat down on the opposite of where the lady - errr Jiyong’s mom - was.

 

She looked at me without saying anything at first, just studied me, like how a mom would look at her son's girlfriend. Thinking about this unexpected encounter like this was a bit weird, since me and Jiyong, well, we didn’t really have that kind of relationship, but, her unmoving gaze got me that uneasy feeling.

 

She was a scary woman, at least by the look. About others, I wasn’t sure, since I never heard Jiyong telling me anything about his family. Yes, we were close, but neither of us ever talked about our family. I wasn’t sure what was the reason, maybe it was because we still hadn’t reached that depth of our relationship, whatever it might be?

 

“How old are you, Nayeon-ssi?” Jiyong’s mom spoke up suddenly after a moment of being silent. Her voice was strict, and again, I kinda felt uneasy.

 

“26, Madam.” I replied stiffly.  

 

“Hmmmmm….impressive. He never dated anyone that much younger than him.” She quietly chuckled, but what caught my attention was how old was he. Oh , I didn’t know if he was older than me or not.

 

Again, yes, we were close, and we talked a lot, about everything, but personal stuff. That included family and age as well. Well, now hearing his mom saying so, I was curious, how old was he? He didn’t look that much older compared to me to be honest. Or he was that kind of people having baby face?

 

“How long have you two met?” she asked me again, still that serious tone.

 

“Madam, we don’t….” I was about to say we didn’t date at all but she cut me in.

 

“Just answer the question, Miss.” She reminded me in a sharp voice.

 

“Y-yes…..It’s just about 7 months.” I answered truthfully. Well we did get to know each other for more than 6 months already. Time did fly really fast.

 

“Such another impressive fact.” She showed her amuse visibly, which confused me a bit. What made her that amused? “As far as I know he never dated anyone more than 2 months.”

 

Errrrrr then what about his ex-girlfriend, Eun Seo-ssi?

 

 

“He never brings any girlfriend home, leaving me to guess he doesn’t have any serious relationship.” Mrs. Kwon grabbed her glass and drank some water. “But he cannot keep living that unsettled lifestyle, he’s 31 now. Time to think about a family of his own.”

 

I inwardly raised my brows. 3 years, yet he didn’t bring Eun Seo-ssi to home even just for once?

 

Well, in my 5 years with Sang Joo, I visited his family about once per 2 months. I didn’t know, I just felt that was the right thing to do, getting to know your boyfriend’s family. About his side, it was a bit hard since my family resided in another country, but I did make sure he would meet my father and brother once they came back here. At least it was what I intended a few months ago, when we’re still an item.

 

There was a thing Sang Joo hadn’t known yet. I did came to his house after we broke up. To say goodbye to his parents. Maybe their son didn’t treat me well, but that didn’t mean I had to end things with them bitterly too. I respected them, since they did treat me as their daughter in the past 5 years. We even had some touching memories together. But, what could not meant to be would not mean to be. I didn’t tell them the true reason of our break-up, just the cliche “we don’t click anymore”. There were things better be unsaid.

 

And wait a minute...what? 31? Kwon Ji Yong was 31 now? He’s 5 years older than me? He didn’t look that old to me!

 

“Tell me about your family, Nayeon-ssi.” Mrs. Kwon spoke up again, snapped me out of my shock about Jiyong age.

 

I secretly felt uncomfortable. We didn’t date, not in any relationship, well, not in a romantic way at least, did I really have to tell this woman about my family?

 

“About that….” I was thinking hard on what to say, but someone’s voice interrupted me.

 

Should I call the devil as my savior now?

 

“Mom?” Jiyong’s voice could be heard clearly behind my back. “What are you doing here?” In an instance, he appeared next to his mom, glanced briefly at me before back to his mom, his eyes showed worry.

 

“I am having lunch, what else?” His mom’s eyebrows raised. “And having some chat with this pretty owner of the restaurant.” Did she just call me pretty? Should I take this seriously? “And you? Why are you here?”

 

“I…..” I watched as he comfortably pulled out a chair next to his mom and sat down, ruffled his hair. “...I was about to have lunch here too.”

 

“Missed your “Nayeon’s food”, didn’t you?” Mrs. Kwon scoffed, drinking her water, and I nearly choked the water I was drinking too. “Just last night, you whined about how different the beefsteak served at our house was compared to “my Nayeon’s Heaven”, right?”

 

I secretly glared at Jiyong. Just what game he was playing at, that I was unnoticed here?

 

And he just grinned bashfully back at me.

 

“Mrs. Kwon,” I spoke up, intended to make things clear. “It seems you misunderstood. We are not….”

 

“How was the food mom?” Jiyong cut me in, turned to chat with his mom and ignored my visible glare. “You said you had lunch here.”

 

“Good, I guess.” His mom scoffed again. “And do not cut it when a lady is speaking.” Mrs. Kwon looked sharply at her son before turning her attention back to me. “What did I misunderstand, Nayeon-ssi?”

 

“I am not his girl friend.” I watched Jiyong winced, but I ignored him. “I don’t know what made Jiyong say those words to you, but the truth is…”

 

“We are having some argument.” Jiyong cut in, again. I shot him an annoying look. “She’s mad at me right now. And mom, you shouldn’t have done this.” He softly scowled, even pouted, which annoyed me more. “I will introduce my girlfriend to you one day, when I feel it’s the right time.”

 

“If I wait for you to feel right, I might never be able to hold my grandchild at all.” I heard his mother mumbled disapprovingly, and once again I nearly choked.

 

Uhm, this conversation was kinda private for me?

 

“Mom…..” I widened my eyes seeing how Jiyong whined shamelessly in his mom’s presence. Was this really the image of the CEO of the most luxurious hotel in Seoul? And you said he’s 31?

 

“Whatever, bring her home for dinner this weekend.” His mom suddenly stood up, surprised both me and Jiyong. “Serious or not yet, just do it. I am very annoyed with seeing you playing around with random girls. At least you stick with this girl for more than 2 months, that is a potential.” She turned to me. “And you, young lady, I expect a lot if you’re Jiyong’s girlfriend. Let’s not talk about further things, it will give you headache, I’m sure of that. Just be prepared for this weekend.” I didn’t even have time to digest what she was saying, just hastily bowed and hurriedly followed her to the door.

 

“And,” She turned to say to both of us. “You two better fixed whatever argument you are having this weekend.”

 

When I went back to the place, Jiyong was already having his lunch. Comfortably.

 

Seriously? When did he place his order though?

 

“Jiyong-ssi.” I sat down at my previous spot, opposite to his seat, cleared my throat annoyingly.

 

“Let’s talk later, Yeonnie. I need to eat.” He said without looking up at me but concentrating on cutting whatever on his dish. “I was so annoyed with the steak last night.” He put a small slice into his mouth, chewing and closed his eyes while sighed in happiness. “What a bliss!” He sighed deeply again.

 

“Enjoy your lunch then, sir.” Fine, if he didn’t wanna talk, then I would leave him alone. Jiyong was the kind who would not talk or do anything properly if he was hungry or starving. So, in order to get a serious talk about our current problem later, I should let him satisfy his stomach then.

 

When I turned my back to leave, I heard his deep sigh again, this time there was frustration in it. “Stubbornhead…” He mumbled, which I sent him another glare and left without glancing back at him.

 

And when I readily left Heaven at 11PM that night, I was surprised, maybe, to see Jiyong was waiting for me.

 

He stood there, leaning comfortably on his car with legs crossed, one hand in the pants pocket while the other holding his phone and reading something very intently. Upon hearing my heels, he looked up instantly though, and broke into a huge grin.

 

I did tell you no one could resist charming Jiyong right?

 

Secretly regained my composure, I walked towards him. When it was a few feet left, I stopped, crossing my arms and raised an eyebrow at him.

 

“Evening, Yeonnie.” He winked at me, put his phone back to the pocket and lifted himself off the car. He stood there in front of me, hands deep in the pants and smiling goofily at me. “Let me drive you home, will you?”

 

For some unknown reason, I smiled briefly at him. Then I just shrugged and walked past him, casually opened the door on his car and got inside comfortably.

 

He quickly got in with an eager face. I put on the seat belt, settled myself inside his car. “Let’s talk later when we reach my apartment. I need some rest now.” I said when he started the engine and closed my eyes.

 

The drive going home was quiet, even relaxing, since there was soft music playing inside the car. I inwardly smiled. Jiyong surely knew what I liked when I wanna rest. I listened to his humming while still closing my eyes, enjoying our quiet surrounding, only the sound of his engine and some nice melody.

 

We were like this sometimes, being all silent yet still feeling comfortable around each other. To be honest, now thinking back the past months, it would be a lie if I said I didn’t feel anything around Jiyong. But the feeling wasn’t strong enough to overcome what I had for him as a friend. I still hadn’t found myself being jealous when I saw him flirting with someone. Even though I saw him flirting less with girls for the past months, for some reason. The last time I had to play the ploy where I was that sick girlfriend who let her boyfriend sleep around with random girls was…..3 months ago? And the last time I witnessed him making a move on some girls was…..about 1 or….2 months ago? I wasn’t sure. But thinking back, whenever we hung out at our favorite bar recently, it would be either with his friends or just the two of us.

 

It was like we, unconsciously, very slowly, got to know each other, as a couple.

 

Now I felt very conflicted with myself.

 

“Yeon Kim, we’re here.” Jiyong softly called me, pulling me out of my trance of thoughts.

 

I slowly opened my eyes, realizing we truly were at my apartment’s area. “Not Yeonnie anymore?” I said absentmindedly, looking outside the window.

 

“You like that pet name now?” I could imagine his smirk without looking at him. He let out a chuckle and turned off the engine. “Women are weird.”

 

“Someone owes me some explanation.” I undid my seat belt to get myself more comfort, not that his sofa wasn’t comfy enough. I hadn’t told you how much I loved his car, especially the velvet sofa? It was even better than my sofa at home. “Or better yet, an apology.”

 

“I can get the explanation.” I heard some moves, and I guessed he was turning to face me fully. “But, an apology? For what?”

 

I turned to look at him to see he was raising his eyebrows to me.

 

“Then do the explanation first.” I challenged him with my own eyebrows. I hate it when you raised your eyebrows. He did say so once to me. I lose all my strength just by looking at them.

 

“I don’t wanna do the blind dates or get married to someone I don’t know and don’t love.” He sighed.

 

“I can figure that.” I crossed my arms. “But, why dragged me into this?”

 

“Because that was a true answer.” I was startled with how quickly he replied. But the emotional moment was ruined when he continued. “Somehow.”

 

“Somehow?” I repeated annoyingly. “You made your mom think that you might not live without me.” I mumbled.

 

“I already addressed my thought to you before, didn’t I?” He asked, somewhat furiously. “But you were too stubborn to accept my offer.”

 

“Offer?” Believe me, I hated repeating after him like this. “If I remembered it correctly, the last time we met, the one who left an offer was me.” I reminded him my offer of being the last chance for us to remain friends.

 

“I offered you a chance to have something promising for both of us.” He reasoned in a soft voice. “Yeonnie, I told you, I thought about this, you and I, us, it would work.” He suddenly grabbed my hand and squeezed it. “Because, of all people, we know what caused the other’s heartbreak, and that was what makes us closer to each other easily more than any kind of relationship in this world, maybe just next to love at first sight.”

 

“Where were you for the past 3 weeks?” I could tell how surprised he was with my sudden change of direction in our conversation. “If you’re that determined about us - if that ever exists - where were you after our first kiss, after my rejection?” I said more when I saw how confused he was with my question. “You asked your friends to stalk my emotions, but didn’t show to see it yourself? If you already decided to reject my offer to remain only friends between us, then you should have told me what was your next intention.” I said tiredly. “So that I could have my own decision.”

 

“Nayeon, I…..” He looked…..I wasn’t sure what to describe him after hearing those words from me.

 

“I was confused you know.” I retracted my hand in his. “I wasn’t sure what I really think about this whole things. I thought it’s the best for us to be only friends, but at the same time, like you said, I also thought about ‘what if’. I also have some feelings for you, I think, it’s only natural since we are pretty close for the past months. But those feelings aren’t too much for me to ruin what we have, at least for the time being.” I honestly told him what’s on my mind the past weeks, since we hadn’t talked for such a long time, and I must admit that I felt...something about that. “Then, when I finally thought that we should just stay as friends, and I decided that I would wait for you to come around again, for us to be normal again, your mom appeared, revealing that you said you had someone named Nayeon in your heart already.”

 

I turned to look at him, hoped he got what I was trying to make him understand here. “All I mean is,” I said, taking in his face which was listening to me intently. He was really focusing on what I was saying, but he had this confusing look on it either, as if he was having a hard time to get what I was talking about. “What you have for me, how serious was it?”

 

“Of course…..” He tried to say something immediately but I cut him off.

 

“Think about it, carefully, before you decide anything.” I said. “I enjoy being your friend, Jiyong. I still am. But since you brought this sensitive emotion out of the water already, I gave it a thought after being much calmer after that drunk night. I am not playing hard to get here, we’re too old for that lame trick. I just don’t want to lose what we are having if you and I aren’t really serious, at least to our own feelings.”

 

I could say Jiyong was stunned with my speech. I didn’t intend to say such things, to be honest. They just came out unintentionally. I only intended to ask him about the things with his mom.

 

Seeing how he kept being silent and kinda spaced out, I sighed and ready to leave his car. “Goodnight, Jiyong.” And I wasn’t sure what made me do so, but I leaned in and kissed his cheek. “Just think about it. Whatever the outcome, Kwon Jiyong and Kim Nayeon will always be cool, ok?” I smiled and left the car, waving at him before walking towards the entrance to my apartment.

 

When I got inside my apartment at level 15 of the building, I glanced down the ground through the glass. Jiyong’s car was still there. Much later, after I the lights, it drove off.

 

____

 

(Author’s POV)

 

“Anyway, I think I have a bad news for you.”

 

“Oh really? What’s that?” The other line asked bemusedly. “You’re not ending our partnership, right?”

 

“Nice joke.” The caller let out a soft chuckled. “You’re not that easy to let go of me.”

 

“My honor to take that threat.” A deep chuckled rang up. “What’s the matter, my old friend?”

 

“I’m afraid my rebellious son might actually have a serious relationship already.”

 

“Oh...really?” The other line sounded genuinely surprised.

 

“My wife has her sources, and she personally checked everything to make sure the kid wasn’t just making a lame excuse. But he seems to be serious this time. We’re fooled by his playing imagine for years too much to believe that he might actually commit to someone seriously.” Mr. Kwon laughed at his own silliness. “And if that is the case, I don’t wanna force him to do something against his will. I heard he gonna bring her home this weekend. He never does that kind of thing before, you know?”

 

“I guess it might be really serious then.” The other line said sadly. “Too bad, we couldn’t have that old joke come true then.”

 

“You don’t mind my son’s bad image, old friend? Just asking.” Mr. Kwon sounded curious.

 

“I know the kid since he was 10, Kwon.” The other line scoffed. “He’s surely such a tease and player, but he’s a good boy. The player image is just something any young man should have in a while. I have my sources too. I cannot hand over my angel to someone without doing some investigation first.”

 

“Nice to know, Kim.” Mr. Kwon scoffed back. “Anyway, let’s meet when you’re back alright? We need to catch up, it’s been so long.” Mr. Kwon said sincerely. “Working with you only via phones and emails , seriously. I miss having some soju with you.”

 

“Soon.” The other line smiled.

 

After ending the phone call with Mr. Kwon, he glanced at the picture on his working table. A little girl wrapping her arms tightly around a young man’s neck from behind. She had the most beautiful smile in the world, in his opinion.

 

“Aish, how much I wanna be in-laws with the Kwons.” He sighed. “Angel, it seems I have to find another good man for you.”

 

On the picture, there was a small caption engraved on the frame.

 

Little angel Kim Nayeon on her 5th birthday.

 
 
 
___
 
A/N: thank you so much for your sub & comments & upvotes! Much love from Rosie