--

Culture Shock
You know that feeling when you over-calculate how many stairs you have to step over, panicking as your foot falls through the air? Why is it so terrifying? Is it because it feels like the world has fallen apart around you? Do you feel like you can't even trust your subconscious anymore? Or, perhaps, it's because of that fleeting moment when your body is caught off-guard and you're caught in the unreliable weight of the air. Will you fall? Will your body's offset balance cause gravity to have another win under its belt? Probably not, but no one feels safe taking that chance. All you know is that you disoriented and disturbingly shaken up.

That was the only way for Chanyeol to describe meeting Byun Baekhyun. Sometimes, he talked for hours and hours nonstop, his jaw probably (hopefully) going sore. Obnoxious was the only word Chanyeol found suitable for the fellow aspiring musician during those times. But then, he went wilent, biting his bottom lip and rarely meeting anyone's eyes, even if only for the length of a heartbeat. Sometimes, Baekhyun boasted about himself, charisma and confidence flowing from his words, voice as smooth and easygoing as ever. Then he would shrink back in his seat, talking about his insecurity with his pleasingly rough singing voice and how he only feels comfortable with eyeliner on because he wishes his eyes were bigger, were more beautiful by the standards of the people- idols, fans, and anti-fans alike- passing by him in his everyday life. Chanyeol thinks he hates that the most. He assume that he hates people who complain, refusing to believe that maybe the deep-voiced giant was warming up to the boy with bipolar tendencies, the disappearing stair. Chanyeol didn't know what to make of the new trainee.

It was when Baekhyun sang. That was when Baekhyun was finally one emotion, finally one beautiful masterpiece of an understandable human being.

It was when Baekhyun danced. That was when Baekhyun was finally one emotion, finally one beautiful masterpiece of an understandable human being.

It was when Chanyeol could finally admit that he was Byun Baekhyun's friend. It was when Chanyeol was actually comfortable with that fact.

One night, Baekhyun asked if he was good enough, if his voice was really any good. After the years of hardwork, after all his determination, and the impossible boy was broken, cracked to bits. That's when Chanyeol snapped. That's when Chanyeol found that Baekhyun was pretty even when he cried, eyes red and puffy, black streaks falling down his face from the stage makeup. Even when he shook from sobbing and Chanyeol felt his heart breaking, he was heartbreakingly beautiful.

That was when Chanyeol knew, as apologized flew from his mouth and his arms moved of their own accord to hold Baekhyun close (and he couldn't help but notice that the latter's resistance was as real as the step he over-calculated). That's the moment when he finally got the right number of steps, when everything clicked into place and the world started spinning the right way again.

That's when Chaneyol knew that he loved a little unpredictability in his life.