One.

매직 [ m a g i c ]
Chapter one;
EVERY GREAT ADVENTURE HAS A BEGINNING...
 
Today's training session had been brutal. 
 
Along with just about every other member of my class, I leaned against my back against the classroom wall, sat on the floor with my legs sprawled out in front of me. I was drinking from my water bottle greedily as others around me discussed what we had learned. Next to me, my best friend, Choi Danmi, sighed heavily.
 
"I think I'm getting too old for this." She muttered.
 
A few people who overheard chuckled at her serious tone (Danmi was far from old at twenty-one, after all), whilst I smiled and patted her back dramatically.
 
"There there. This will all be worth it soon." I reminded her. 
 
But like most things when you're a Trainee, everything is uncertain. We train day after day for hours at a time, we maintain what we're told is the ideal weight and schooled in vocal and speech lessons, drama classes to help our confidence, dance classes topped with regular school work and often for some, even modelling and acting workshops. But for as hard as we worked, there was never a set job at the end of it all. Some made it, others didn't and any of us, at any time, could be dropped at a moments notice without even so much as an explanation. 
 
That's why when the Trainee Manager; Kim Bin Woo came strolling into our lesson, we all immediately stood up and schooled our faces into carefree smiles, as though the gruelling three hour dance practice without a single break hadn't effected us in the slightest.
 
It was unnerving seeing him talking to our dance teacher, even more so since everyone knew he was a busy man. Even though he was everyone's Manager (the term used lightly, since all he did at this stage was over-see our training), it was well known he only gave jobs to those he truly saw debuting potential in, so although some of us had been Trainees for years, we hadn't spoken to him once. 
 
We all waited with held breath, attempting to look casual whilst trying to listen on his conversation with our instructor. She looked troubled, and seemed to be against something Manager Bin Woo was saying, though in the end she simply inclined her head, ending the conversation almost with resignation. With a triumphant smile, Manager Bin Woo thanked her with a bow before turning to look at us. I'm sure I wasn't the only one who tried to stand a little straighter in the hopes that our legs would look longer and our figures just that little bit slimmer.
 
"Jung Ah Ri?" He called expectantly. 
 
I felt my heart slam into my ribcage and my chest tighten.
 
"That's me, Manager-Nim." I managed to speak at last, stepping forward to bow lowly to him. 
 
"Meet me in my office in an hour." He instructed. I straightened and inclined my head, at a loss for words, and watched as he then assessed the other girls until he found the one he was looking for. "Bae EunCha. You too, my office in an hour." 
 
She stepped forward confidently. 
 
"Of course, Manager-Nim." She bowed, even lower than I had. 
 
He nodded in turn, turned towards our teacher, bowed again and strode from the room without another word.
 
Immediately the girls crowded around EunCha, asking her questions. Danmi remained stood next to me, shaking her head in disgust.
 
"The girl played an extremely minor roll in a Drama, yet they treat her like a Goddess." She muttered lowly. "Why she was chosen for that is beyond me, though. She's hardly the best in here."
 
It was no secret that Danmi and EunCha didn't get on, not after EunCha dated the Trainee Danmi has confessed to liking in front of her. The bad blood had remained, four years later, though most of the other trainees had no clue what it was even about anymore. But Danmi remembered, all too vividly and I as her best friend, knew that she'll never let it go. 
 
I shrugged as I picked up my backpack and shouldered it, waiting as Danmi got hers, too. 
 
"Everyone thinks she's going to debut soon, that's why." I reminded her with a shrug.
 
"Why? Because she gets extremely minor acting rolls? Ridiculous." 
 
"Didn't you see him, though? He knew her straight away." I noted, a little jealous. "He had to wait for me to step forward." Danmi snorted.
 
"Like I said, minor acting rolls. She played 'girl sitting on bus', and not forgetting her major breakthrough; 'sleeping student in classroom."
 
I couldn't help it. Suddenly we were both cackling away as we walked the empty halls towards the changing rooms, my earlier annoyance forgotten.  
 
 
❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
 
 
As I reached the hallway leading towards Manager Bin Woo's office, I felt a sudden feeling of sheer panic. What if he was telling me my contract was up, that I've not had any successful work except for that one job I had, two years ago? What if...
 
"Stop." I whispered, taking a deep breath as I hovered outside his office door.
 
I stared at the smooth wood, taking in the swirls of the grain and wondered if I was a little early. There was fifteen minutes to go until the allotted time he had given... But surely, being early was a good thing? Plus, it would give me a 'one up' over the stuck up EunCha, who - quite frankly, had been insufferable in the changing rooms as she bragged endlessly about her upcoming audition for yet another small drama roll.
 
No, I should definitely go in now and wipe that smugness off her face when she arrives to see me already there.  I raised my hand and knocked gently, my breath held and my heart feeling as though it was lodged in my throat. 
 
"Come in!" Manager Bin Woo's voice called, and I reached for the door handle quickly, aware of how cold  the metal was in my warm hand. I'm burning up with nerves, I realised anxiously. 
 
"Hello Manager-Nim." I bowed as I entered. 
 
"Take a seat Ah Ri." He told me.
 
I lifted my head and moved to shut the door when I caught sight of a person already sitting opposite his desk.
 
The smug EunCha smiled back at me sweetly, a spark in her eye. I win, she seemed to mock me with her smile, whilst I fumed silently, attempting to keep the shock off my face. Just how long had she been here?! Seething, I shut the door and took a seat on the only other spare chair next to EunCha's, the two of us facing Manager Bin Woo.
 
His office was small but comfortable, with space enough for his large desk, his plush chair, two single chairs which myself and EunCha were sat on, a huge cabinet filled with many picture frames with him and the artists he had managed, various signed CD's and lastly; a separate small table holding a coffee machine and cups. Next to it stood his secretary who was holding various papers and remaining silent. 
 
"Would you like a drink?" He offered politely. I turned my head sharply to see he had been watching me specifically. I flushed. 
 
"Ah, no thank you, Manager-Nim." I mumbled.
 
He cleared his throat.
 
"I'll get directly to business girls, shall I?" He asked abruptly. Both EunCha and I nodded our heads. "You have both been selected for a new five piece girl group we are forming. I'm assuming your interested?" Again we both nodded, this time more enthusiastically. 
 
I could hardly believe hat I had heard, and it was taking everything in my power not to stand up and cheer. He was offering me what I had always dreamed of, and I was overwhelmed with joy.
 
"So far, you are both the only ones selected, though we hope to have made a final decision on the other three by the end of the week. Of course this goes without saying that you must keep quiet about this, especially to your fellow trainees until we make an official statement and arrangements for proper schedules."
 
As he spoke his secretary stepped forward with two contracts, which she handed to us wordlessly. I glanced at it and began to read; 
 
Temporary Contract Of Employment 
 
[Y]ou agree, acknowledge and understand that any and all information, whether privileged, confidential, trade secrets or any other information acquired [by you] during and as a result of your employment with SM Entertainmemt is confidential and proprietary information of SM Entertainment and once signed, it is punishable by law to dis- close such confidential information or to otherwise use such information against the interests of SM Entertainment without the prior permission from [your] Official Manager. 
 
[Y]ou agree to keep everything you are hereby told confidential and not disclose any such information, make any statements or communications which could disparage the reputation and integrity of SM Entertainment or its employees or its products or otherwise reflect negatively on SM Entertainment or its  its employees and business relationships. All public announcements must first be confirmed by [your] Official Manager, along with any job offers, public appearance requests, Advertisement requests and any other offers received and offered.
 
SM Entertainment reserves the right to dismiss [your] contract or employment at any time and for any reason... 

 

"If you agree, then sign and we can begin preparations for your eventual debut. Of course, a new contract will be written once the other three girls are chosen, this is only temporary." He explained, interrupting my reading. 
 
I faltered, confused. There were still two and a half pages I hadn't read, and by the sound of what I had gotten to read, this seemed pretty serious. I looked to see what EunCha thought, but found her already accepting a pen from the secretary and signing, seemingly without even having read the contract at all. She handed it over to the secretary, and suddenly... All eyes were on me, waiting.
 
I shuffled uncomfortably under their gazes, and my dry lips, wishing i hadn't turned down that drink offer. Had it always been this hot in here? Dammit, I couldn't just sit here reading when they were all waiting on me, could I? Plus, I wanted to seem eager, not reluctant...
 
I reached for the pen and signed my name on the second page, my heart sinking deep into my chest. My father had always advised me to never sign anything at all without reading it thoroughly first. He had sat for four hours with his lawyer going over just my trainee contract... I hated to think what he'd say when he found out I'd signed another - possibly more important contract - when I'd only read the first two paragraphs, if that. 
 
"Perfect! Tomorrow you girls will go to room 35B for your training at the usual time. From now on you will be having trainings and lessons together and later  with your other group mates. During the lesson I will come and discuss more of this with you, alright?" He asked shortly, leaving no room for discussion. 
 
"Thank you, Manager-Nim." EunCha simpered. I gave him a bow from my seat.
 
"Yes, thank you for this opportunity." I added. 
 
He waved away our thanks.
 
"We've been discussing this for months, girls. You two were the first in the lineup to be chosen, your skills have really impressed your teachers. It's them you should thank for recommending you both highly."
 
I felt my cheeks heating up again under the implied praise.
 
After once again confirming the new room number, Manager Bin-Woo dismissed us to "get some rest" to which I was thankful for. It was now 9pm, and I was extremely worn - Plus I still had my self practice and workout to do yet before I could even look at my bed.
 
Both EunCha and I left the office and went our separate ways, ignoring one another as we normally did. It was awkward, considering we had just been told we were to debut together in a group despite it being known we didn't exactly get on, what with me being best friends with Danmi. Still, I thought as I made the steady walk towards the metro to catch my train back to the dorm, we'd have time to bond with the other members. All groups were close, and we'd be no exception.
 
Right? 
 
I hoped so, anyway.