The Story

Deja-Vu

(3rd Person POV) Flashback from 14 years ago

 

 

At a kindergarten, two 4 years old boys walking toward under the tree. “Would you stop crying, Minki? They’re going now,” the black haired boy tried to calm the other kid under a big tree. Minki, shorter than the other one, started to stop his cry as he sat. “I-I’m scared…” he said.

 

“I know, don’t worry, I’m here now,” the boy sat and took out a handkerchief from his pocket. “Here,” as he hand it to him. Minki cleaned his face from tears and dirt on his face. “Thank you,” said Minki, still sobbing here and now.

 

“Why are they always teasing me? Is it because I’m short? Or because I’m stupid, weak?” Minki hugged his knees, still sobbing. “No, you’re not!” Minhyun suddenly shouted, made Minki surprised a little bit. He looked at Minhyun. “No, you’re not. You have just a little bit confident, that’s all. And courage to face them,” Minhyun said with annoyed face, but blushing and looked elsewhere. Minhyun always knew that Minki always teased by some kids on his class. And because Minki is his best friend, moreover his neighbor, he should help Minki. He took a deep breath and stand up. “Minki! Don’t worry! I will be there for you. I will protect you, I promise!” Minhyun looked at Minki with convining look. Minki looked at Minhyun, and reached out his hand in front of Minhyun, or more precisely, his pinky finger. “Promise?” he said. Minhyun smiled, and linked his pinky finger. “Promise,” he said as Minki standing up too. They both smiled. “Alright, kids. It time to class again!” the voice of the teacher made the boys looked at her. “Come on, class will start,” Minhyun said to Minki. But as they walked, Minki back hugged Minhyun. “Thank you, Minhyun. You are my best friend.” Minhyun just smiled as they walked normally again to the class on their kindergarten.

 

A week later

 

Minki crying again. But this time, they weren’t on the kindergarten, but under a big cherry blossom tree. Minhyun, who had promise with Minki to meet him under the tree, run from faraway. “Minki!” he waved his hand to Minki from far away. “I’m sorry I’m late. I−What happened?” Minhyun, who earlier gasped from ran out of breath, worried as he saw Minki’s face. “Did your classmate tease you again? Where they are?” as Minhyun looking around furiously. “No… that’s not it. I… I’m sad… because you moved to somewhere else…” Minki still sobbing hardly. Minhyun’s expression became sad too. “I’m sorry Minki. You… will you miss me?” asked Minhyun. Minki started to hit Minhyun, and cried again. “You promised me to always be there with me…” he said. Minhyun looked sad again. “I know. I’m sorry. Will you promise one thing for me?” Minhyun looked at Minki, who still sobbing in front of him. He nodded slowly. “Promise me that you will be stronger when I’m gone. Promise?” he gave his pinky finger. Minki wiped his tears and linked his finger. “I promise.” They both smiled and changed the topic. “So, you bring the chest?” Minhyun asked Minki as he took out a chest from his bag. “Here. Did you bring yours?” Minki asked back. “Sure. Now, let’s buried these under the tree. Then when we grow up, we meet again and open it. Deal?” he said as he digging a hole under the tree. Minki nodded joyfully, and then they buried their chest. After they covered the bole back, Minhyun wipe his sweat on his forehead and then, “Well, we should go home now, come on,” he said as he held Minki’s hand and walked home together…

 

Flashback ended. 14 years later

 

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP−CLICK.

 

Alarm sound from the phone wake him up. Minki rubbed his eyes and checked the phone. It was 10.00 AM. Minki grunted on his bed as he woke slowly. He looked around his room, still half-asleep. ‘I had that dream again,’ he muttering himself. ‘What’s this?’

 

He held his head as he walk to the kitchen, took some water, and then sat on the living room. He looked at the magazine at the table. It has his picture on the front cover. That’s right. 18 years old Minki now is a famous model.  He lived on Seoul since high school to chased his passion, become a designer. Now Minki is known as Ren, a famous model who capable doing anything. He almost already took all kinds of photography. From an ancient-Rome concept until a fairytale princess, he already tried all, and the result is outstanding.

 

He looked again at the whiteboard for his appointment. He’s free today. Although he knew that this free day he would visit his parents on Busan, he can’t help but nervous. It’s been 3 years he doesn’t come home. He was so busy until he can’t come to his parents’ house often, although he missed them very much. He already packed his stuffs from last night, and leave to airport and 12.00 later. But now he want to relax first on the sofa, until he go to the airport.

 

***

 

Minki finally arrived at his parents’ house, and open the door with careful. “I’m home~” Minki said, but no one responded. “Mum?” he said as he walked inside. Then he saw his dad on the stairs. “Minki?” he said. “Dad!” he said as he hugged his father. “You arrived. Come on, let’s see your mother,” his father said as they went to living room. “There’s a guest, but I think you want to see him too,” his father said as he opened the door. “Him?” Minki confused.

 

His mother’s expression made Minki want to cry as she walked toward him. “Minki, honey! You’re home!” said his mother excitedly. “Yeah, mom. Nice to see you again,” he said as they hugged. Minki looked from behind his mother, there was a guy sat on the sofa. ‘This is the guest?’ he thought himself. As they broke off the hug, his mother dragged him on the sofa as she said, “I want you to meet him,” as they sat and Minki looked at the guest’s face. Minki was so surprised. The guy smiled on him.

 

“Min-Minhyun?!” he said. Minhyun nodded.

 

Minki reflected to hugged Minhyun. Minhyun only smiled widely as he hugged him back. “I−I’m really surprised! Why are you came here?!” he said as he released the hug. “I just want to help my parents move here again. But I don’t know that you came today,” he said. “I perhaps can’t recognize you if we don’t met here,” he said again as he looked on Minki from head to toe. That’s right; Minki appearance is really different from many years ago. His hair is long and blonde, his outfit is clearly from the city fashion. “You move here again?” Minki asked. “No, just my parents. I, uh, have job on Seoul so I can’t stay,” Minhyun drank the tea from the table.

 

“We will leave you here, sweety. Take your time to chat with your buddy,” Minki’s mother smiled as she and his father left the room. Minki and Minhyun only watched the left and looked each other again.

 

“So… how long it’s been?” Minki started the conversation. It’s a little bit awkward, Minki thought.

 

“It’s 13 years,” Minhyun smiled again. Minki can’t help it but blushed a little. Minhyun same as he used too, cool and calm. And too handsome if he might add.

 

“Ah… yeah,” Minki only could said that. He knew that this is really awkward, but he couldn’t help it. He just want to talk, a really long conversation with him. He just don’t know any topic. “You said that you work in Seoul?” ask Minki. “Yes. I own a coffee shop there. You should visit me, I’ll give you the address,” he said again as he asked back. “You haven’t changed, Minki, except your appearance… or should I say Ren?” he drank the tea again.

 

“What? Oh you know my job?” he asked. “Oh yes. By the time I arrived, I asked you to your mother. And then she showed me many pictures of you on the magazines. You really are great,” Minhyun smiled again. Stop smiling, Minki grunted on his head.

 

“O-oh yeah? I-is that so? T-thank you,” MInki bent his head down, hiding his blushed face. Suddenly Minhyun stand up and dragged Minki. “Come on, let’s go somewhere!” and went outside. “Hey! Mum, I’ll go with Minhyun!” Minki shouted as they went out.

 

After 5 minutes they ran, they gasped and sat under the tree. The laughed as they see each other. They smiled as Minhyun look upward. “Minki… do you still remember where is this?” Minhyun asked Minki. Minki then looked around, and gasped. “This… is this the cherry blossom tree?” he looked at Minhyun.

 

“You still remember, Min. Do you still remember what happen with us last time?” he asked again, and not too long enough for Minki to knew it. It appeared on his dream every night since a week ago. “What? You want to tease me?” Minki realized that his face is too hot, he might blushed as red as strawberry now. Minhyun giggled. “No. I’m glad that you still remember it…”

 

“I promised that I became stronger… for you… Now I’m really strong, you know,” Minki faced MInhyun. “I know. I believe you,” Minhyun said, but in sad face. “What’s wrong?” Minki asked.

 

“I promised that I will always protect you, but I…” Minhyun became speechless.”Now, you! Come on! It’s only 4-years-old promise, nothing to worry…” Minki now speechless saw Minhyun slowly flowing his tears.

 

“Minhyun, are you okay?!” Minki panic, as Minhyun wipe his tears, “I’m okay. Sorry for suddenly like this.”

 

“You know, I never saw you cry before… this is the first time,” Minki leaned his back to the tree. Minhyun just smiled again and took out a deep breath. “You know, I always waiting for this time… We met again, hang out, and tell some stories…”

 

Minki’s memory suddenly popped out. “Min, do you remember that we buried our chest long time ago?” Minhyun just nodded slowly. “Then, maybe it’s time we took it out…” Minki stopped because he blushed a little bit. “What?” Minhyun asked. “No… I maybe will embarrass myself after said that…” Minki said. Minki noticed that Minhyun a little bit flustered too. “Oh… Okay if you want too. Wait here, I will took some stuffs to dig it,” as Minhyun standing up and went off.

 

Couple minutes later, Minhyun back. He and two little shovels. He gave one to Minki and started digging. After a while, they reached the chest. “Okay, this is mine,”Minki took the pink little chest. Minhyun’s is blue. They cleaned it a little, and, “Now… we should switch it, here…” Minki handed his chest to Minhyun and Minhyun gave his chest and receive Minki’s. They both opened it.

 

Minki’s chest contain some colourful bracelets, a toy car, a picture of Minki’s drawing when they kindergarden. It has their photo too, when they on the kindergarten. Minhyun smiled widely.

 

Minhyun’s chest contain a mini robot toy (that Minki remember it as ‘Optimus Prime’), a broken watch, plane miniature, some bracelets that same with Minki, and a same photo.

 

Minhyun and Minki noticed that there’s a piece of paper left under their things in their opposite chest. Minki took it first. “What’s this?” he asked. “Oh… its message from 4-years-old me to you…” Minhyun slowly said that, and, “What’s this?” he asked back. “It’s… It’s same… for you…” Minki blushed again. “Then let’s read it,” Minhyun said, although Minki heard some uncertain sound on his voice.

 

They both read it, and surprised. They looked each other again, slowly blushed, smiled, and laughed… They hugged. They may be felt ease after read those papers. “Let’s go, we find something to eat,” Minhyun said as he cleaned up the mess, brought the chests. And as they walked, those papers slipped out and flew with the wind, dropped back under the cherry blossom tree. Both papers said the same this all this time.

 

 

 

I LIKE YOU. I REALLY LIKE YOU. YOU ARE MY BEST FRIEND.

 

PS: Let’s get married when we grow up!

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

An update!~^^

 

This is the second time I made a stand-alone oneshot. I hope I do it well. X)

 

Oh yeah, my fanfic called "Special Pizza 2 You" is updated too!! If you kindly check it too!~^^

 

THANK YOU XD