Before The Story

Fast Enough

Behind the story

Hyukjae's POV

 

I met him in a very unexpected turned of event. It was a very regular school day for me. Preparing my self, put on the uniform, and then head to school was my daily activity every single days. Nothing special. Same bus, same people, and same way. Arrived at school, I headed quickly to my class and sat back on my regular spot on the back of the class.

I was pulling out my headset out of my pocket, when my bestfriend Sungmin came up to me.

"Hyukjae, they need you in the principal's office" He said to me with those big doe eyes.

I looked back to him with questioning eyes. "Why?"

"I don't know. It must be about introducing you to a very important guest. You know, about your dancing skills, your achievement and all" He shrugged and walked away.

I sighed.

This was a very typical of my headmaster. Everytime there's a guest from different school, or from the education departement, he always introduce me to them and babbling about I'm the perfect example of a school with International Quality, and always proudly show them my Dancing Competition Trophys and medallion.

 

He never get tired of that.

 

I got up from my seat and walked out from class while stuffed my hands into my pocket. Along the way, I'm thinking about who could be the guest to our school this time. Last month, there was a guest from U.S Ambassador of Education Departement, and I was sick at that time, so my headmaster chose Sungmin to replace me. After all, Sungmin's skill of dancing has improved much so he also had some trophys from winning throughout many competition.

He also chose that guy from English class, Cho Kyuhyun, since Kyuhyun just become the very first delegation to become an exchange student to Australia. Now that was a high-class achievement.

Rumor says that Sungmin and Kyuhyun are a 'thing' right now. But I don't really buy it since Kyuhyun is a very masculine yet nerdy type of a guy while Sungmin is more into the kind of 'cute-adorable' one. They'll never got along.

 

I quit myself thinking about them when I already arrived at principal's office. I opened the door and stepped my foot inside.

Empty.

I peeked my head inside and checked the room. It was really empty and no one was there. I'm started to think that Sungmin was just playing a trick for me, when a voice startled me.

"Lee Hyukjae, there you are"

I turned myself towards that person and face my headmaster.

"Mr.Park, I heard you summon me. Is there anything that I can do?" I tried to be as polite and put my not-knowing face on when clearly I already know what was the purpose for him to call me.

"Ah yes, I was going to introduce you to one of the most important benefactor of our school. But now that you're here, I don't have to come to your class anymore, do I?" He said while putting his arm around me like a father would do.

"So, this benefactor is a very young man. His age is less than 30, but yet he just donate half a million dollar to our school's science building project and 4 million to come next month. Now, I want you to represnt yourself as a very honorable student and just trying as best as you can to show how grateful you are. Understood?"

I nodded.

"Wonderful. Now let's head to my second office. He's right there waiting for you."

I forgot to mention. My headmaster has 2 offices. One, that I just came into, i for him to do his duty and all. But the second office is the more special one since he put all of the students' trophys and hundreds of medallion there.

Half of them are just vintage. He's very proud.

Less than 15 seconds, we arrived at my headmaster's 2nd office. This room is much more bigger than the first one and has more decoration on the wall. Half of the spaces on it were filled by many certificates.

We walked in the room and standing behind a brunette who was busy with his phone. Even though from behind, I can tell already that this man is tall and has a very build body and toned muscles.

"Ehem" my headmaster cleared his throat.

The brunette stopped typing and turn his face towards us before standing properly. His brown eyes were fixed on my headmaster before met mine.

Even though just for a second, I could almost admit that I was mesmerized by his eyes. It was dark-rich brown and the way he stared..

 

Just so deep and meaningful.

It's like he's trying to look at me on the inside.

I was just stunned by his charm and not being able to move my hand when the headmaster's started to introduce me to him.

"Mr. Lee Donghae, let me introduce you to one of my brightest student, Lee Hyukjae. Hyukjae, this is Mr.Lee Donghae. He's the most important benefactors of our school as I was told you." He smiled.

 

That Lee Donghae guy smiled and struck his hand.

"Lee Donghae. Nice to meet you."

I shook his hand and said, "Nice to meet you too."

 

And for a while, the world just stopped around us and it was just about me and him.

It's amazing how you can feel butterflies in your stomach by just touching the person that you barely know.

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I'm not quite sure how Donghae and I can became a friend after that short encounter. Until on one night, my phone rang. Signaling that someone just called me.

I quickly answered the phone and immediately regret answering it while I'm standing.

"Hi, Hyukjae."

I'd recognize that voice anywhere. 

That deep, dark, mysterious voice whose owner always came to my dream every night.

I sat down at the edge of my bed and tried gathered all my voice.

"Hi." I finally answered back.

It was silent for a second.

"It's me. Donghae."

I know..

I speaked on my mind. Not realizing that I just spoke it out loud in a real situation.

"Good..."

Donghae answered. And for some reason, I have this feeling that he might be smiling right now.

"...because I don't want you to forget about me.." He whispered the last part.

 

My heart felt like it could burst any moment.

I blinked my eyes softly, not believing that he just said that.

"How are you?" Donghae asked after I didn't answer anything for a while.

"I'm..I'm uh.. Good. Great. I'm fine," I said. Mentally cursing myself for stuttering.

"How's school?"

"The uh.. The usual. Same old stories."

And then it was silent againI started to wonder, is it just me being awkward or it was just because both of us?

I feel like this conversation is nowhere to go.

"Hahh..."

I heard him sighed.

"You know what, Hyukjae. I can't do this."

Huh? I furrowed my eyebrows. I panicked for a second. I thought that maybe the way I'm being awkward made him feel bored and finally decided to stop playing trick at me. No no no, I don't want that to happen! Though I don't really know the reason why. It's just.. The way he talked to me made me feel secure and happy at the same time. And I don't want him to stop. It feels like I wanted him to tell a fairytale stories to me every single night through the phone, so I could hear his voice as if i were a lullaby.

A very magical lullaby.

But then I stopped thinking about those things when he talked again.

 

"Would you go out with me? Tomorrow night?"

 

I widened my eyes.

 

This can't be happening.

 

Before I even could answer, he said,

 

"I just wanted to get to know you.. Ever since we met on your principal's office that day, I couldn't erase my thought about you. I just.. You're just... Everywhere. And I swear to GOD I could go insane.."

 

My heart beats fasts..

 

"Hyukjae, I don't know what you have done to me.. Is it because of love, or is it because something else? I just.. need you, for some reason. And.. I want you, to feel the same like I do. It's just.. I don't know why."

"Honestly, I've been thinking about you ever since the very first encounter. The way you talk, the way you smile, the way you look at me.. It all stuck on my mind and I can't do anything to get them out. So please, would you go out with me so I can figured out what this is all about?"

 

Dear lord..

I, Lee Hyukjae, just made a man who almost in his thirties feel this way. Me, who barely graduated from high-school.

But at that time, I don't give a damn about our age. Somehow, I feel like the right thing to do was to say,

"Yes. I would like to go out with you"

 

And I smiled.

 

I'm sure he did too.