The Torture Chamber

Singing Star!


Sung-min followed him without hesitation. They moved through corridors and stairwells Sung-min had never seen before, finally arriving at a small trap door on the ground level. “This has been here since the time of the old building,” Hyuk-jae explained. “It’s pretty dark down there and a bit dirty, I hope you’re prepared for it. Good luck.” And with that he left.

Sung-min opened the trap door and eased his way down the stone steps. The steps were slightly uneven and bumpy, but he was able to arrive at a level landing after some fumbling. As soon as he did, the trapdoor swung shut and Sung-min was trapped in the dark tunnel. He didn’t care about going back though, he was here to find the lair of the ghost, and so he continued feeling his way along the dark passageway.

Sung-min continued along the passageway for what felt like an hour; he had no conscious sense of time or direction, he only knew that he was going forward. Somehow he could feel that he was getting close to his target.

After some time the passageway ended. There was still no light, but Sung-min could feel that he had entered a larger room. The walls were smooth, and as he moved around the perimeter of the room, he could feel no entrance or exit. He realised that he must be trapped here. Even the entrance by which he had come appeared to be gone. Then this really was the point of no return.

Overcome by despair, Sung-min slumped against one of the glassy walls. He was on the brink of crying when he heard a voice. It was soft, as if coming from some place far away.

“Sung-min is looking for me.”

Sung-min’s heart rate increased at the sound. He must be close! If only it wasn't so dark...

“And why is he doing that?” Another voice.

“Because I asked him to. I’m sorry teacher, I didn’t want to disappoint you. But Sung-min is such a nice person, I thought I could trust him.”

“Ah, but what do you really know about Sung-min? Did he tell you why he is no longer working as a police officer?”

Sung-min’s heart beat was so loud that it was beginning to drown out all other noise. It was hot in the room, so very hot, and he was certain that he couldn’t take much more waiting. With a fist he banged against the wall and screamed. “Ryeo-wook!”

“I think I can hear him. He must be close by. Sung-min!”

“There is no point calling to him. Sung-min has somehow wandered into the torture chamber, and there is no way of getting out now that he's there.”

“You won't hurt him will you, teacher?”

Sung-min’s chest heaved as he waited in the dark and the heat. So this was the torture chamber? What luck.

A light was switched on from overhead, and it took a few seconds for Sung-min to adjust to his surroundings. The room in which he was lying slumped was a small hexagonal room and on each wall was a mirror that reached from the floor to the ceiling. To Sung-min this looked like his own image multiplied all around him and repeating out into infinity. It was like an army of Sung-min's had fallen flat against the floor, defeated and too tired to fight anymore. What a pathetic sight it was!

The scene of Sung-mins was soon interrupted by a new figure, and soon all he could see was an army of tall men in a surgical masks standing all around him. They were wearing hair nets and white coats and moving closer and closer. Soon the man was leaning over Sung-min, examining him closely.

“What’s this, fall into the torture chamber did you?”

“Get away from me you fiend!”

Sung-min backed up against the mirrors as the mask man moved in closer and closer. It seemed to be getting hotter and hotter, as if he was trapped in a giant oven.

“If you come any closer I will have to hurt you,” Sung-min said, but his voice broke on the last word, revealing the weakness that was overpowering him. The masked man only laughed.

“Calm down, Sung-min. Nobody’s getting hurt today.”

Sung-min turned to face the mirror, and seeing only Sung-mins and masked men everywhere, he forced his eyes shut. His head was spinning from dizziness. He was trapped; there was nowhere to run and nowhere to hide, and so he collapsed on the floor. He weakly lifted an arm to defend himself.

“Do you what you want with me, but let Ryeo-wook go.”

The masked man made a tut-tut sound. “Why all this sudden concern about Ryeo-wook? You never even visited him after his father died.”

Sung-min groaned as he covered his face with his hands. “Don’t say that! I didn’t mean to abandon him... I just felt really awkward about the whole thing.”

“You want to risk your life for him, but you wouldn’t get into an awkward situation for him? Sung-min where are your priorities?” The man had put on a sing-song voice. Sung-min wriggled around some more, and the man continued. “I guess you just want to be a hero. Is that what happened at the shoot out?”

Sung-min forced his eyes open again. Instead of seeing himself multiplied in the mirrors, he saw all the policemen in his squad, standing as they had been on the day of the shootout. They were approaching the building slowly and Sung-min tried to cry out.

“They’ll get shot,” he said, “they’re all dead because of me.”

The masked man came to lean over Sung-min’s face, blocking out the view from behind. Sung-min thought he could smell detergent on the surgical mask.

“Hello Sung-min, my name is Hee-chul. I’m going inside your head, okay?” He placed a hand over Sung-min’s face and Sung-min lost consciousness.