Personality

What to Do and What Not to Do in Fanfictions

This chapter could tie back into the Mary Sues/Gary Stus.

Personality is incredibly important for it relies within characterization. I bring this up because someone commented about it.

There is a difference between describing a character and personality/characterization.

However, personality can be totally murdered by Mary Sues. 

When writing personality, please refrain the character from having a constant "victim" personality where they act like nothing is their fault and they could never do anything wrong. 

There are so many different ways you can go with personality and they are so extremely ruined by some people.

Especially after tragic events. 

Have you ever heard of PTSD?

Post-traumatic stress disorder. 

The lack of this ever being found in an angst fanfic is astounding. 

Being human, it is impossible to get over , death, etc. in a blink of an eye without consquences. like that s with the mind.

You never and I mean NEVER be the same again. Cuddling with a significant other won't help either. 

I just... /headwalls repeatedly/

I really can't describe the ideal personality for there is no such thing. 

However, I can tell you what is best to avoid.

Avoid the perfect attitude, the -playboy personality, everyone-loves-me personality and anything along those lines. 

 

Personality is so incredibly important, but it's not something you can just throw out there. It has to be slowly revealed through the fanfic or else it would be meaningless to continue the fanfic. 

I could continue on about this topic for forever but I will stop here.

-Rue