Final

Carnival Games

"YAH, DINO-BOY!" Key shouted, viciously beating a large lump under a comforter on his room mate's bed. The lump curled up protectively and yelped in pain.

"Goddammit, Key! I'm not a ing whack-a-mole!" Jonghyun scooted closer to the wall and pulled a pillow over his head. Key raised his spatula over his head and narrowed his dark brown eyes in annoyance.

"Get. Up. Now. Trust me, Kim Jonghyun, you don't want to make umma mad," he hissed. "Do you want to see what hell looks like this time of year?"

Jonghyun's eyes flew wide open, but he didn't budge. Mmm, my bed is so warm... he can wait a few more minutes; I want to enjoy my day off, Jonghyun thought, trying to convince himself that his life wasn't in danger.

That's it. needs to get up, NOW. Key walked over to the curtains and pulled them apart so sunlight was pouring harshly into the room.

"You asked for it!" Key growled, grabbing the comforter with both hands and ripping it off of the bed to reveal a - Jonghyun.

"WHAT THE ?!" Key screamed as Jonghyun yelped and covered his crotch with his hands, scrambling off the bed. "You sleep in the ?!"

"Don't look at my !" Jonghyun ran for the bathroom and slammed the door behind him.

Key pocketed his phone and smirked.

"Dayummm," he purred. "And what a mighty fine it is." On a second thought, Key took his phone back out and made the picture his main background.

"When you're done putting some pants on, you . meet us by the van. We're going to the carnival," Key yelled as he left the room, still smirking.

***

After forty-five minutes of nauseating Minho and Taemin cuddling, incessant Onew fried chicken eating, and an endless stream of 'subtle' -centric jokes from Key directed towards Jonghyun, everyone arrived at the twelfth annual Seoul Carnival. They all groaned when they saw Jessica leading SNSD through the front gate, all of them giggling and nibbling on giant rainbow lollipops.

"Just when I thought this was turning out to be a nice break," Minho muttered. Taemin oohed in awe and grabbed Minho's hand, pointing out the window.

"Ooh, hyung! I want to go on the ferris wheel!" Minho's expression immediately lightened and he grinned at his dongsaeng. Key parked the van in a handicapped spot right next to the entrance and started rummaging through the glove box.

"Uh...Key?" Jonghyun started. "Isn't this a handicapped space?"

"That's why I always keep this baby handy." Key clipped a special disability permit card to the rear view mirror and wiped his hands with pride. Jonghyun sighed and shook his head in defeat as he opened the door. Minho and Taemin were already running towards the ticket booth holding hands and laughing.

Onew stepped out cradling his KFC bucket and saluted his band members.

"I'm gonna go hang out by the petting zoo. Meet you guys at the kettle corn stand at 7:30ish?" he suggested. Key nodded and locked the van.

"Sure. See ya later." Jonghyun smiled softly as he looked at the colorful lights and balloons, and small children giggling in carefree innocence. He stumbled as Key grabbed his wrist and dragged him over to the ticket window.

"Two adult," he ordered, taking the tickets and sliding a couple of bills across the counter before dragging Jonghyun once more.

Jonghyun moved his hand up and intertwined their fingers, giving Key's hand a small squeeze. Key brushed his thumb gently over the back of Jonghyun's hand. A small smile played at the younger's lips, and Jonghyun felt his heart warm as he saw it.

"C'mon Bummie, let's go on the swings."

"I thought you hated the swings," Key said in confusion.

"I owe you for not getting out of bed this morning. Plus, if I go on my usual roller coasters, all of the thrashing around would hurt my bruises from your spatula of death," Jonghyun muttered, rubbing his upper arm.

"Your fault for sleeping , you erted dumb-!" Key scolded Jonghyun. "Omo! They're closing the gate to the swings!"

"Run!" They dashed through the crowd holding on to each others hands tightly and just barely made it to the ride. Key laughed and ran for a baby pink chair, and Jonghyun buckled himself into the lime green one beside it.

"Please keep your hands inside your own chair and do not twist the chains. Enjoy the ride."

"Yeah, Jjong, keep your hands to yourself," Key mocked. Jonghyun scoffed.

"Bull; you love our skinship!"

"Mehrong!"

Jonghyun chuckled as Key stuck his tongue out, and the ride lurched into motion. It slowly picked up speed, climbing higher and higher into the sky. Soon, they could see over the entire carnival in all its colorful glory.

Key looked over at Jonghyun and his breath caught in his throat. Jonghyun had his eyes closed, and the wind was pushing his hair out of his face, tilted back and graced with a peaceful smile. Suddenly, Key stretched out his legs and clamped them around Jonghyun's, pulling him close. He grabbed the chains right above Jonghyun's hands and twisted it so they were facing each other.

"Hi there," Jonghyun said, eyes still closed.

"Hey yourself," Key replied. He found himself grinning like an idiot as he drank in all of Jonghyun's features: the smooth gold skin; the perfect jawline; the delicate, full eyelashes; the pale pink lips...

"Key-wi! Yah, snap out of it!" Jonghyun's voice snapped Key out of his daydreaming. Key looked up to make eye contact and blushed.

"Uh, what?" he mumbled. Jonghyun smirked knowingly and tilted his head to one side.

"You were zoning out on me," he mused. "Thinking about someone?" Here Key blushed ever harder and smacked Jonghyun hard on the chest.

"Of course not! You're such a babo sometimes, Jjongasaurus." They smiled at each other as the wind whipped their hair back and forth. Key reached out and ran a hand through Jonghyun's gradient gold locks.

"you need to get a touch-up soon; your roots are showing," Key murmured, mostly to himself. The swings slowly started to decrease in speed.

"Maybe you could do it for me." Key's eyes lit up and he clasped his hands together in excitement.

"Really? You're finally letting me style your hair?" he squealed. Jjong laughed and helped him get out of the chair.

"On one condition: you let me put a pink streak in your hair."

Key absentmindedly his asymmetrical, jet black hair and raised an eyebrow.

"Fine. But I'm the one putting the pink streak in. See, it's not that I don't trust you near my hair; it's just that I don't trust you near my hair," Key teased, grabbing Jonghyun's hand again as they exited the flying swings. "Actually... it might look cute."

Like you're not already cute enough. "Good, because you could use some help with that whole 'cute' thing," Jonghyun teased back.

"I CAN and WILL go back to the van and get the spatula."

"Just kidding! Saranghae, umma!"

"That's what I thought."

***

Five hours later...

"Why didn't you win me a stuffed animal, huh? Minho won Taeminnie a stuffed animal. Why couldn't you? What's wrong with you?" Key whined.

"Bummie," Jonghyun groaned, "for the last time, Minho's freakishly long legs are the only way he won that basketball free throw. The thing is rigged, and I'm short; I had no chance."

Key harrumphed and continued to pull Jonghyun through the noisy crowd. It was a little after seven o'clock, so a lot of people were shoving their way to the exit before the sun could set completely. It already hung low in the sky, a hazy ember of gold and crimson.

"Can't you get your animal fix some other way?" Jonghyun tried. "What about the petting zoo?"

"God no; Onew hyung is still there, probably making out with a sheep or something. I don't know about you but that's something I'd rather not see." All of a sudden, Key whipped around with a little gasp and grabbed both of Jonghyun's hands in his own.

"We can go on the carousel!"

"No, not the merry-go-round," Jonghyun moaned. "The last time I went on one of those, I was seven and the last seat available was too high for me to reach. My dad had left to go get food and the conductor had already started the ride. I had to sit on the ground and cling to the metal pole like a terrified koala. It was the most petrifying and humiliating thing I'd ever gone through." Jonghyun shuddered as the memories came flooding painfully back. Key tilted Jonghyun's chin up with his left hand and pouted.

"Please? For me?" Key batted his eyelashes and Jonghyun just smirked in disdain.

"Oh, please. The puppy dog eyes don't work on me anymore."

"You sure?"

"Positive."

Key reached around Jonghyun's waist and grabbed his , causing the older to yelp and jump away.

"You play dirty," Jonghyun scowled, narrowing his eyes.

"Never said I didn't," Key trilled happily, intertwining their fingers before leading them towards the ride.

A small group of kids was just getting off the ride as Key and Jonghyun entered, and only about four more were getting on with them. They stepped onto the platform just in time to see a pudgy blond boy vomit over the side.

"Augh, that's disgusting," Key gushed, looking away. The ride operator ran out from his booth in the middle of the gilded platform to go help the kid, and Jonghyun looked inside to see a small spiral staircase.

"Psst. Key-wi, look over there," Jonghyun whispered.

"No, I don't want to see the puke!"

"That's not it. Please, just-"

"You're tricking me, I know it!"

"UGH." Jonghyun finally gasped Key's elbow and pulled him into the booth. "Up the stairs!"

They both clambered up the spiral quickly before the conductor came back, and found themselves in a small glass cupola atop the carousel's roof. Completely surrounded by windows, they could see out all the way over the carnival in all of its sunset glory.

Night was just starting to fall, and all the lights stood out like stars beneath an indigo sky. A huge smile broke across Key's face and he walked forward to press his hands to the glass.

"Beautiful," he murmured in awe. Jonghyun went to join Key, and watched as the soft glow from below lit up his face with a pink hue and sparkled in his eyes, round with excitement.

"Yeah, he really is," Jonghyun whispered. Key turned around with a confused look on his face.

"Wha-" before he could utter a word, Jonghyun crashed their lips together, bringing his hands up to caress Key's face. Key wrapped his arms around Jonghyun's neck and melted into his body, smiling into the kiss.

"It's about time," Key mumbled. Jonghyun broke away grinning furiously, and kissed him on the nose.

"Well, maybe if you hadn't been so busy hitting me with your damn spatula, I would have done it sooner."

"Then it wouldn't have been as perfect as this," Key replied simply.

"How perfect?"

"This perfect." Key closed the gap between them and they shared a slow, sweet kiss before breaking away for air.

"Remind me again?" Jonghyun asked, smirking. Key giggled and pecked him once on the lips.

"What, you have short-term memory loss now?"

"I'm blinded by your beauty!" Jonghyun exclaimed, whimpering as Key whacked him on the chest again.

"Stop being such a sap!"

"Yeah, but I'm your sap," Jonghyun laughed. "I'm the sweet, sugary sap of your beautiful maple tree body."

"Ugh, your devotion sickens me," Key complained. "And that doesn't even make sense."

"Maybe you don't make sense, you bossy diva."

"Maybe you need to shut up so I can kiss you again."

"Just kidding; saranghae!"

"That's what I thought."

With the soft melody of the carousel music in the background, they held each other close until the first stars appeared in the sky like little carnival lights.

 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, the BEAUTIFUL gif of the face that Key makes at the top is inspired by Jonghyun's ultra super cheesy maple tree line that made no sense.
jsyk.
Forgive me for how cheesy this one-shot is!!! xD

Comments = <3