Dream Sequence Eight and Nine

Lilium

Woohyun and Sunggyu took you out more often now to different parts of the laboratory. The greenhouse was one of your favorite places, and there were new plants and a different layout every time they took you there.

Your second favorite place was an old library. The old book smell filled the place and gave you a sense of calm.

These days, you weren’t sure what to make of Sunggyu and Woohyun. They seemed to be taking good care of you, but was there an ulterior motive? Were they taking care of you because they loved you, or because they were investing something in you that they couldn’t lose?

You thought about your last dream. They talked about a chip. What sort of chip? Did it give you freakish inhuman powers? Why were your legs failing you again? Woohyun said that his and Sunggyu’s blood was keeping it at bay, letting you walk again.

Unless they stopped giving you their blood? But then you would’ve been long gone by now. You didn’t make it very long in your childhood, you remembered. How long ago was your childhood? How long have you been with them? Why didn’t you have the marks on your arms anymore?

There were so many questions on your mind, you didn’t even hear them when they spoke to you half of the time.

“Something on your mind, Jisa?” Sunggyu finally asked one day as you stared off into the distance with a book open in the library. You looked down at the page you were on and realized you’d been on the same page for the last fifteen minutes.

“I just... I don’t know. Just a lot of nothing on my mind,” you said with a smile. Sunggyu seemed to be put at ease by your answer.

“If anything bothers you at all, just let us know, and we’ll take care of it, okay?” You nodded as Sunggyu smiled at you and leaned over to kiss your cheek.

--

You were sitting on your bed, learning to fold some origami out of a book you found in the library when Woohyun and Sunggyu entered the observation room. They peered out at you and sighed.

“Her condition isn’t getting any better. What’s wrong? We’ve been giving her our blood,” Sunggyu said with a frown. Your legs just seemed to get weaker and weaker with each passing day.

Jaehyo pursed his lips.

“Sir, it could be that your blood is tainted with whatever disease is attacking her body now. Since you’re a vampire, I suspect that you’re stronger, therefore it doesn’t affect you. So when you’re feeding her your blood-”

“We’re just basically giving her another dose of the disease,” Sunggyu finished, running his hand through his hair in frustration.

“Of course, it’s only a theory. I’d like to run a few tests to make sure.”

“Take however much you need,” Woohyun said.

--

Begin Dream Sequence Eight

--

“We have something to tell you, Jisa,” Woohyun said one morning after the three of you spent time together, cuddling in bed, .

“What?” you asked sleepily, burying your face into his shoulder. Sunggyu had his arm around your waist and his face in the back of your neck. “You gonna tell me I’m so engineered super human you’ve been experimenting on, and now, it’s time to train me or something?”

Sunggyu and Woohyun froze. You could feel them tensing up on both sides of you. Well, it looked like you hit the nail on the head.

“How...”

“I guessed.”

--

They were nervous, and you could feel it. You kept a blank face all morning and kept things light, smiling and laughing like nothing was wrong. But you were angry, and you were so beyond angry, you didn’t even know how to express it correctly.

You were just hoping whatever training it was they were going to have you do, you were going to destroy stuff, and lots of big, hard to break stuff, too.

They led you down a secret hallway in the mansion by opening up a hidden keypad and pressing their hands against it. You watched in awe as it led down into a stark white laboratory.

“This is below the mansion?”

“And about ten times the size. Come on,” Woohyun said, grabbing your hand. He frowned slightly when he felt your hand was limp in his and not holding it like you usually did.

They led you down the hallway until you got to a door. Woohyun punched in a few numbers before it opened, revealing a vast training facility.

“Basically, we’re going to train you in combat, how to shoot things, how to operate certain machinery.” You glanced around the room to see people in a black military uniform and was surprised to see Jaehyo among the ranks.

“Jaehyo?”

“He and Zico work for us in the lab, too. Hoya and Jia work in another division.” You blinked a few times before frowning slightly.

“But first... do you mind explaining what you did to me?”

--

“Increased strength comes naturally when being bonded to a vampire. Our blood is a little bit stronger, and if given regularly can strengthen the human body up to twenty times.” You frowned. You didn’t have that kind of strength.

“You, however, are a special case,” Woohyun continued. “You have a disease, which I’m sure you remember.” You shuddered. You definitely remembered.

“And it’s attacking your body, making it weaker, a lot weaker than it should be. I don’t know what it is, but whatever it is, is strong, because both mine and Sunggyu’s blood can only hold it back and give you your regular strength, the strength to walk and use your body normally.”

“We’ve been doing research on figuring out what it is and how to terminate it but... it’s been almost twenty years and...” Sunggyu sighed. “In our research, we started to develop something.”

“A chip,” you said, staring at them blankly.

“Yes, a chip,” Sunggyu said apprehensively. “It’s meant to draw energy from us, machinery, or even electricity and help change it into energy you can use and channel it to whatever parts of your body need it the most, like your legs, and give you a boost in strength.”

“I had it put in while you were sleeping, and it wasn’t supposed to activate yet, but I guess under the situation, it felt like it needed to save the host so...” Sunggyu and Woohyun waited for you to blow up at them, and when you didn’t, it made them even more nervous.

“I see.”

“You’re... You’re not mad, are you?” It was Woohyun’s turn to be apprehensive. You stared off into space blankly for a moment.

“No. Why would I be mad? I mean, all you’re doing is experimenting on me with something you don’t even know how it works half of the time without my permission and making me think that you were just overly affectionate when you were actually protecting an investment. Mad. What makes you think I’m mad?” They flinched when you stood up from your chair abruptly and left the room, slamming the door behind you.

“She’s mad.”

“No .”

--

You refused to talk to Sunggyu and Woohyun, spending your time in the training room with whichever unfortunate soul was in there. Jaehyo was the one that taught you how to use your chip, removing the inhibitor and giving you full access to it.

“How do you know so much about this thing, Jaehyo?” You were a bit miffed at him too, for not telling you about it sooner. But you forgave him when he told you he was sworn to secrecy with the price of death. He wasn’t too keen on installing the chip into your body without your permission, but he didn’t want to die either.

“I was head of the development team for it. I’ve got one installed in me too, but it’s not as strong as yours. I think if we put your chip into someone else, they might die from the energy overload.”

“Where is it?” Jaehyo smirked before he bit his lip and his expression softened.

“In your heart.”

--

Whenever Sunggyu and Woohyun tried to talk to you, you just stood there until they finished and walked off without another word when they were done. You didn’t sleep in your room anymore, instead, opting to sleep in random places where they couldn’t find you.

“Jisa’s not in her room again.”

“Did you check the library?” Woohyun asked, looking up from his paperwork.

“I did, she’s not there.”

“The green house?”

“No.”

“The training room?”

“No.”

“Did you ask Jaehyo?”

“Jaehyo said it was probably best that we give her some space. You should’ve seen the things she’s done to the practice equipment.”

“Then we should probably leave her alone.”

“But I don’t want her to think that we’re just protecting an investment! I love her! We love her! How can you just sit there and do your paperwork when she’s off thinking we don’t love her? At least, I know I do.” Woohyun dropped his pen and looked up at Sunggyu with tired eyes.

“I know it’s my fault, and you don’t deserve any of the backlash you’re getting from her, but you were planning to plant the chip in her too, just not as soon as I did it.” Sunggyu sighed and sat down in a chair in front of Woohyun’s desk. He noticed a folder with your name on it.

“Is that the training data?” Woohyun eyed the folder on his desk.

“Yes.” Sunggyu drummed his fingers on the arm rest for a moment before reaching out and picking up the file.

--

You slept out on the roof on the house. There was a small observation post on top of the mansion, and you set up a sleeping bag and watched the stars at night. Sometimes Jaehyo would join you, and you two would talk about random things.

“You, me, and Jia. We have to get out of here soon,” Jaehyo said one day.

“What? Why?” You still hadn’t forgiven Sunggyu and Woohyun, but you weren’t ready to just leave them like that.

“These chips inside of us. They’re having my team see if they can use it to control us. Control our bodies, our thoughts, so we can do whatever we want them to do at the touch of a program. And with the energy the chips supply our bodies, we could basically be enslaved to work until our bodies give out on us.”

“No. Sunggyu and Woohyun, they wouldn’t... they wouldn’t do that to me,” you said, staring at Jaehyo wide-eyed.

“They were the ones who suggested the idea.”

--

“Jisa, it’s been weeks. I’m tired of this silent treatment you’re giving us. Would you at least let us explain?” Sunggyu asked, cornering you at the breakfast table in the morning.

“I’ve listened to everything you said.” Sunggyu stared at you and didn’t know what else to say.

“Then...”

“I am still very much angry.”

--

Sunggyu and Woohyun watched you train with Jaehyo and whoever else was in the training room. Even they couldn’t help but flinch when you slammed people down into the mats mercilessly and broke punching bags.

“You’ve been at this for weeks,” Jaehyo said with a laugh. “Are you still that angry?” You answered him by splintering a pole with a single punch. Jaehyo winced.

“Okay, point taken.”

--

Away from prying eyes and ears, you and Jaehyo planned escape. He was purposely delaying the production of the controlling factor of the chips to give you guys a running chance of getting out of the complex alive.

You made up signals, both verbal and through body language to alert each other of other things. Jaehyo relayed everything to Jia whenever they saw each other as they crossed departments.

Everything was planned. You were going to try to escape as soon as your training was done.

--

End Dream Sequence Eight

--

You were even more apprehensive around Sunggyu and Woohyun now. Jaehyo was always busy, so he hardly came by, and you were sure that the room you were staying in wasn’t safe to talk about what you were remembering with him.

“Jisa? Is something bothering you? You can tell us if something is. We’ll do our best to make you comfortable,” Woohyun said, holding your hand. You stared at his hand.

How could he pretend that nothing happened? All of your memories weren’t back yet, but if you were still here and in this room, then something went wrong.

“No, I’m fine. Just a little bit more tired than usual, that’s all.”

“You should get some more rest then. I’ll check on you later, okay?” He leaned forward to kiss you on the forehead before getting up to leave.

As he walked out, Jaehyo walked in with a clipboard in his hands.

“Hey there, Jisa. How are you today?” You reached out to grab his hand. His hand was face down, and both of yours were gripping his hands. He stared at it and looked up at you, eyebrows slightly furrowed.

“How much do you remember?” he said quietly.

“Up to when we planned to escape.”

“That’s almost everything then,” he said, looking over to the observation mirror and pretending to write something down.

“Go back to sleep. There’s only two dream sequences left. Then you’ll know everything.” Jaehyo said something out loud about how he’d get Woohyun to bring you a nice, fresh batch of flowers before he left the room.

You settled back down under the covers, wondering what was left to remember.

--

Begin Dream Sequence Nine

--

Your training was complete, and now you were sitting there while Jaehyo ran some tests on you. Wires were stuck on parts of your body, and machines were beeping.

“They want me to upgrade your chip with the new controlling program,” Jaehyo said quietly as he adjusted some wires.

“Are you?”

“No. You’re going to escape while I’m trying to do it. Leave, make a living for yourself, and Jia and I will find you. We’ll figure out what to do from there.” Jaehyo got up to leave and blinked rapidly three times before disappearing out of the door.

“Alright, you’re going to feel a little bit of a tingle.” You got ready to get up and run for the door, but then then tingling started, and suddenly you felt like you were rooted to the spot. With much difficulty, you managed to tear yourself away from the seat and start running for the door.

“Jisa, what are you doing? Jisa!” you heard Jaehyo shout. You pushed the door open and ran down the hallway before the exit. You heard one of the other lab techs call an emergency code, and you knew that the hallways were going to be flooded with damage control soon.

If you didn’t make it out before they blocked the exits, then you weren’t going to make it out. You pushed through some people in your way and ran for the emergency exit.

One of the soldiers from damage control tried to grab at you, but you pushed him out of the way easily. That chip was going to go back and bite them in the .

“Jisa! What are you doing?!” you heard Woohyun yell. You faltered for a second.

“Jisa!” Sunggyu yelled, running towards you. You closed your eyes and pushed your feelings out of your head. The chip sensed your distress and took over part of your brain, making your eyes glow a slight eerie blue as you gave into it.

“Stop her!” Woohyun yelled.

“The only way to stop her is to overload the chip! And the only way to do that is to electrocute-”

“I don’t care what you have to do, just stop her!” Jaehyo ran down the hallway, stopping in front of Woohyun.

“You can’t! An electric charge strong enough to overwhelm the chip would kill her in the process! And if she didn’t die, there’s no knowing what it would do to her body!” Jaehyo yelled back at him.

“Stop her!” Woohyun yelled again.

“Woohyun, wait! You can’t kill her!” Sunggyu shouted, giving Woohyun a look of disbelief.

“Stop her, or I will!” Jaehyo gave Sunggyu a pleading look, but Woohyun didn’t wait for an answer as he disappeared.

You were so close to the exit, you could practically smell the fresh air. Then suddenly, Woohyun appeared in front of you, face dark.

“I’m sorry,” he said. Then all you felt was intense pain around your heart before everything went dark.