Your Smile

That Distant Wishing Star

“Kangin, this is Lee Sungmin.”

 

I looked at father’s worried expression before staring at the small kid in front of me whose gaze were fixed on the ground.

 

“Starting today, he will be part of our family. You’re going to be his older brother and I hope you will take good care of him from now on.”

 

I can only nod my head as father guided you to your new room. I watched as how you only stared at the ground motionlessly while father was busy fixing your things. To be honest, I don’t like father’s idea of bringing you into our family. I was the only son and I wanted all of my parents’ attention all to myself. I wanted to hate you but I couldn’t bring myself to do that so I decided to just ignore your existence.

 

A week has passed since father brought you to our house, but you never utter any single word to any of us. You continue being quiet and would sometimes locked yourself in your room. Father told me what happened to you and unknown emotions came flooding inside me when I learned about you. Your parents died in a car accident and you were the only one who survived. You were six back then and I can see how much losing your parents at a very young age had affected you.

 

“Kangin, dear, why don’t you try talking to Sungmin?”

 

I heard mother told me one day when she caught me staring at the door of your room.

 

“I…uh…”

 

“I can see that you are worried about him too. Why don’t you give it a try? Maybe he will listen to you.” Mother said while patting my shoulder. “You know, I’ve first seen Sungmin when his parents were still alive, and that was also the first time that I saw him smile. He has such a beautiful smile that makes your heart fill with warmth. I wanted to introduce you to him back then, but you were still in the hospital. So when your father decided to adopt him, I agreed immediately. That child had given me a hope when I thought we were going to lose you. I am so worried about him.”

 

I was speechless. I never thought that you could give my parents a new hope with just a single smile. I had a very weak health and body before, making the hospital as my second home. If my parents had been filled with warmth by your smile, then I wanted to see it too.

 

“I’ll make you smile again. I promise.” That was the promise I made to myself.

 

“Hyuuuuuuunnnnngggg~~”

 

“ACK!” I groaned as I felt a heavy weight on my back. Who else could’ve attacked me on my bed when I’m having time to myself? It is only you. Your scent began to fill my nose and my heart began to beat abnormally again every time you are near. I pretended to be mad at you for what you did. “Sungmin, can you stop doing that? You are not a kid anymore.”

 

“Eh? But you are not listening while I was calling your name. You are daydreaming again.”

 

Even though I cannot see you, I know you were pouting. Daydreaming, huh? You know me very well. “Stop pouting.” I said in a teasing way. Or I couldn’t help myself from kissing you. Ah! What am I thinking?

 

“How did you know I was pouting? Do you have an eye here in your back?”

 

You began to move and I turned towards you only to tickle your stomach. You began to laugh while trying to stop me from tickling you.

 

“Hyung… Hahahahaha… Stop! Hahahaha….”

 

Seeing you laugh like this feels me with so much happiness. Remember that first night I talked to you?

 

“I b-brought you s-something to eat.” I said as I placed the tray of food beside you. You did not move nor look at me. I clenched my fist as I continued watching you. “Sungmin, please talk. Please say something.” I wanted to cry due to frustration as you continued to sit there in silence in front of me.

 

“Do you hate me?”

 

I was stunned when I heard your soft voice for the first time. I looked at you in shock and you slowly lifted your gaze towards mine. It was the first time that I had seen your face and your brown orbs were filled with sadness. You’re so beautiful that I thought I was seeing a dream.

 

“I know you don’t like me here.”

 

“No!” I immediately replied and I saw you stared at me in surprise with those pair of beautiful eyes. I felt like a lump was starting to form in my throat as I saw your expression. “No. I don’t hate you. I… I like you, Sungmin. I wanted to see you smile.”

 

“Will you leave me?”

 

I was caught off guard when I saw the tears streaming down your face. I shook my head and without hesitation, I wrapped you in my arms. I felt your body shaking but no sounds of sobs was heard. You were acting strong but in truth you were so fragile that anytime you could break into pieces, and I don’t want that to happen. I will protect you. I will protect your smile from today onwards.

 

“I will take care of you.” I whispered as I stopped tickling you and looked at your shining eyes lovingly. You looked at me in confusion and I slowly caressed your cheeks. “As long as I am here, I will make sure that you will be filled with happiness.”

 

Your lips slowly formed into a smile, the smile that makes me fall for you more and more. My mother was right; your smile really fills the other people’s heart with warmth.

 

“Saying that, it feels like you were going to leave me soon.”

 

“No. I promise you, didn’t I? I will never leave you.” I replied and you suddenly hugged me.

 

“You had done so much for me, Hyung. I am so thankful to have met you.”

 

I hugged you back and a lone tear escaped my eyes. I don’t know how long I could endure this feeling I had for you. You are my brother, but this feeling I had for you keeps on growing and I don’t know how to stop it. I know one day, you’re going to leave me and be with the one who is meant to be with you. My all may not just be enough, but I promise to fill your days with happiness while you are still here with me; while I can still call you mine. I don’t know what tomorrow holds for the both of us, but I will always be by your side, protecting and admiring you.