best boyfriends

Between The Lines

 

 

BETWEEN THE LINES

Jongin/Kyungsoo

 

 


 

6,700words

 

 

 

 

Jongin and Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo and Jongin. Without Jongin, there’s no Kyungsoo. Without Kyungsoo, there’s no Jongin.

 

These two go hand in hand, heart to heart and soul to soul - because they come together in a two-in-one package. Jongin and Kyungsoo are inseparable; conjoined at their hips (not physically but spiritually) since they were born because Jongin is an incredibly clingy dork who refuses to take no as an answer and Kyungsoo pampers the younger way too much.

 

You would have thought 10 years of being best friends, practically brothers, Jongin and Kyungsoo would have known everything regarding each other- ranging from their hobbies, to their dislikes and to their ideal types but no, you’re wrong.

 

Best friends hide things from each other too.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongin knows about his wide eyed friend’s loathing for peanuts (blame allergies) and the colour pink (Kyungsoo stresses that he’s manly and no man should be seen in pink in which Jongin replies with a snort); however, Jongin doesn’t know that the older male secretly likes seeing him adorned in pink outfits, especially the bright neon pink shirt Kyungsoo bought for him Christmas last year. Initially, it was Kyungsoo’s idea of taunting the tanned male’s manliness but it turns out that his scheme backfired upon himself.

 

 

Jongin sees the huge smile of delight stretching across Kyungsoo’s plush lips when he declares that ‘this is my favourite shirt, hyung!’ but Jongin doesn’t see the sparkling gleam in Kyungsoo’s round orbs or the fast thudding of Kyungsoo’s heart slamming violently against his ribcage as Jongin strips off his current shirt to put on Kyungsoo’s neon pink one hastily.

 

 

The tanned male doesn’t see the hue of rosy pink flourishing on his best friend’s cheeks as he unknowingly flexes his back muscles for Kyungsoo to admire shamelessly while he puts on the tight fitted shirt that clings to his sleek body like a second layer of skin. Jongin rubs the back of his neck, scrutinizing himself in the mirror.

 

 

“How do I look, hyung?” Jongin’s too handsome with his cheshire grin showcasing his flashy white teeth and eyes crinkling charmingly at Kyungsoo, unaware of the effect he has on the other. “Hyung?” Blinking confusedly, the younger male spreads his arms and walks closer to the latter who nearly splutters in response. How cute.

 

 

You look perfect. “You look … good, Jongin.” A pink faced Kyungsoo forces a strained smile on his face but nevertheless what he says is half true, almost. It’s almost unrealistic that Jongin looks good in anything and that fact makes Kyungsoo a teensy bit jealous. However, the petite male knows it’s not entirely about envy, not when his heart swells up with affection and dare he says, love when Jongin appears in his Adonis-like glory and steals Kyungsoo’s heart right under his nose with a mere smirk.

 

 

“Thanks.” The way Jongin’s lips twitch into a shy smile has Kyungsoo’s heartbeat accelerating rapidly again. The noticeable blush on the dancer’s cheeks when someone compliments him is precious, so precious to Kyungsoo. “I’m going to wear this today.”

 

 

Jongin is perfect -

 

 

but not Kyungsoo’s.

 

 

In an effort to comfort himself, Kyungsoo thinks it’s okay.

 

 

Jongin doesn’t need to know and will never know.

 

 

Some things are better kept secret.

 

 

 

 

 
 
 
 

Jongin loves dancing, this Kyungsoo has known since, well, forever. Honestly, love isn’t the right word for Jongin when it comes to dancing. The amount of hours, days, Jongin spends in the dance studio near his apartment is nearly immeasurable to the point that Kyungsoo has to show up with Chinese takeover (what other way to a man’s heart than his stomach?) and slowly coax the mess of sweaty limbs to eat (which includes feeding the whiny boy) before proceeding to shove Jongin back into his apartment to get some well needed rest.

 


Frequently, Jongin tries to persuade his hyung join him during practice but Kyungsoo’s an enigma who comes and goes whenever he likes leaving Jongin clueless and breathless with his stunning beauty. One time, Kyungsoo jokes that he should just move into the dance studio and live his life there. The dancer laughs and brushes it off. He’d rather much move into Kyungsoo’s apartment and live his life there. Of course, Jongin doesn’t say it aloud.



Kyungsoo has no idea why Jongin dances and dances until the moonlight comes.

 


Just like how Kyungsoo has no idea why Jongin secretly stays an extra hour or two loitering in school just to hear the charming boy sing in the seemingly empty choir room. Or how Kyungsoo has no idea how much his angelic voice- probably stolen from one of the Angels from above- melts Jongin up to his core, leaving him dazed and numb as his bones shudder with every high note Kyungsoo hits wonderfully.

 


In the future, Jongin wants to debut as a worldwide famous dancer.

 


Also, he wants Kyungsoo to be his partner, his singer, his composer and his song writer.

 


Jongin feel very giddy because he can already imagine the two of them, yes, just him and Kyungsoo debuting as Kai and D.O. after years of training in SM Entertainment. Yes, he can already see it.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jongin lets his body flow fluidly according to the beat of the music. He gets lost in the rhythm he creates, his body slowly taking over his mind as the upbeat rises, music coursing through his veins and Jongin finds himself drowning, drowning and drowning -

 


From the corner of the studio, a melodious voice chimes out, “You should marry a woman who owns a dance studio, Jongin.” Kyungsoo adds a chuckle for the teasing effect because he knows that the younger male clearly has no interest in girls. Jongin came out from the closet long ago. Luckily, his parents were open-minded and didn’t care very much.

 


Jongin doesn’t stop dancing but he closes his eyes and smiles cheekily. His voice is a timbre tone, one suggestive and playful all together. “Actually, I already have someone in mind.” Jongin breaks out in a ballet move, twirling gracefully.

 


He tries hard not to show his disappointment when Kyungsoo goes all silent on him after that. He should’ve known that Kyungsoo would not pry for more because that’s the way Kyungsoo is - never crossing the lines and boundaries. Kyungsoo is happy with how things are at the moment, unlike Jongin who sulks. Kyungsoo will never ask for more, unlike Jongin who craves and yearns for it.

 


Jongin bottles up all his feelings in his glass heart and painstakingly waits for Kyungsoo to step in and break through. Jongin waits for Kyungsoo to take his precious heart and press it close to his own.

 


Jongin is so, so, so irrevocably in love with Kyungsoo.

 


It hurts because he knows-

 


Kyungsoo might not feel the same way.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Jongin and Kyungsoo are best friends, but now add in the word stupid because they are both completely ignorant to the magnetic pull they have between them. The charges of attraction growing stronger as time passes yet the two of them are too afraid, too shy to admit it. The constant hugs and skinship are barely enough to satisfy their desires.

Jongin and Kyungsoo are in love with each other and everyone else knows but the two subjects at hand. All it takes is a push and a pull for them to cross their boundaries. Perhaps that is what they need to realize how much they need to read inbetween the lines.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Back to the current predicament.

 


Kyungsoo grits his teeth as he glares holes behind Jongin’s back. God, this boy just pisses him off too much, it’s downright infuriating. “Kim. Jong. In.” He slams the door behind him. Hard.

 


He’s going to send the repair fees to Kyungsoo- sooner or later. The infuriating Jongin spins around with that goddamned smirk that Kyungsoo wants to wipe off his face, using his fist or his lips. The thought of kissing Jongin makes him blank out but only for a few seconds, then Kyungsoo’s back to his annoyed state.

 


Kyungsoo hopes Jongin mistakens the blush on his face for anger.

 


“Do. Kyung. Soo.” The tanned male copies him but instead of a monotone, Jongin sing songs his name playfully. He knows the older male must be furious because Kyungsoo never gets angry without reason. Still, the tiny male’s the epitome of a disgruntled kitten right now and the frustrated look on Kyungsoo’s face screams adorable to Jongin.

 


An adorable kitten that Jongin would love to pet and coo after. If only the older male would allow him to do so without threatening to painfully break his limbs and dismember every bone in his body.

 


Kyungsoo might be small sized but he has the strength of an elephant or even more than that. Jongin can prove it because he has experienced Kyungsoo’s iron cold fist first hand and it hurts like a . So when the older male stomps his way towards Jongin, the younger male yelps and quickly shields himself with a pillow.

 


In other circumstances, Kyungsoo would have thought it was weird for a full grown male (especially one towering nearly a foot over him) to be hiding behind a fluffy pillow that could barely cover his entire body. But this is his Jongin, his beloved and darling Jongin - how ridiculously endearing. Silly Jongin.

 


Kyungsoo’s gaze softens instantly just like how his heart softens.

 


“You idiot.” The fondness is apparent as the short male grabs the pillow and throws it aside. One delicate raise of Kyungsoo’s eyebrow is enough.

 


Embarrassment colors his cheeks like a bucket of red paint spilled on white canvas. So much for being manly, Jongin closes his eyes and whines. “What - ouch!” The tanned male fumbles backwards, rubbing his reddening forehead.

 


Kyungsoo pretends to flick the younger boy again, chuckling at Jongin’s flinch. “Brat.” The grin is obnoxious, playing across the pale boy’s cordate lips and wide enough to show his gums and teeth. “You owe me fifty bucks, Jongin.” Fingers curling and uncurling in front of Jongin’s face, Kyungsoo scrunches his nose up when the latter wearily grins up at him.

 


Definitely Jongin’s up to nothing good.

 

 

 

 

This is preposterous, Kyungsoo thinks.

 

Coupons.

 

Bubble tea coupons.

 

Some expired and some expiring tomorrow.

 

Kyungsoo feels a vein popping on his forehead, throbbing angrily. He spits out, full of venom. “Kim. Jong. In.”

 

The younger male bounces on his heels, ready to play this game again. After all, they’ve been doing this for so many years. Jongin knows that Kyungsoo would never really get mad, like mad mad at him. “Do. Kyung. Soo.” His feline eyes twinkle mischievously as if challenging his friend to do more.

 

His stomach does a nasty flip flop but Kyungsoo shoves the tingly feeling down his gut. Kyungsoo fumes, stepping up until his face meets Jongin’s prominent (delicious) collar bones. Goddamn, he isn’t going to talk about their height difference anymore, especially not when he has a debt to settle.

 

“What is the meaning of this?”

 

“I’m paying back what I owe you, hyung.” Jongin flutters his eyelashes and puckers his lips. “Do I get a thank you or what?”

 

Kyungsoo fights the urge to slap the coupons right across Jongin’s dumb handsome face. Wait, did he say handsome? He meant ugly. Yes, Jongin’s stupid ugly face. His finger pokes Jongin, stabbing the chiselled chest viciously. “It’s all expired, smartass. What am I supposed to do with these?”

 

Jongin’s wolfish grin falters and his expression turns blank. “Oh.”

 

Boiling meter rising up to 100 and over. Kyungsoo’s calm dulcet voice escalates into a high pitched shriek, “Oh? OH? THIS BETTER NOT BE SOME KIND OF JOKE, KIM JONG -” And he is promptly silenced by Jongin’s large, warm palm completely covering his moving lips and God, Jongin’s skin is soft and Kyungsoo wants to faint from the joy but no his pride will not let him.

 

No, absolutely not. His inner Jongin fanboy squeals and Kyungsoo stomps him until he disappears.

 

“I’m having slight financial problems right now but I’ll make it up to you, Kyungsoo.” Jongin’s babbling goes on and on like a full speeding train and poor Kyungsoo could barely catch up on what the boy is saying until the tanned male slows down. “I’ll think of something. Wait, I know!” Jongin makes a happy noise in the back of his throat and nearly rolls back into his room after telling his friend to ‘hold on.’

 

The wide eyed male stands there frozen and startled.

 

Kim Jongin might be his best friend, ten years running to be exact, but sometimes Kyungsoo doesn’t get what exactly is going on in the dancer’s head. So many bumpy roads and torn holes, Kyungsoo even finds himself lost and confused beyond words when he tries to understand the mysterious man named Jongin.

 

Kyungsoo sees the dark hair poking out from Jongin’s door and a caramel hand motioning for him to enter. His heart pounds, thoughts racing in his mind. What is Jongin up to this time?

 

“Come here, Kyungsoo!” The deep timbre voice sounding excitement calls out and Kyungsoo’s legs automatically carry themselves across the room towards Jongin (just like how he always is attracted towards him).

 
 
 
 
 
 

Without making eye contact, Jongin passes the new coupons to the other. “Here.”


Pursing his lips, Kyungsoo squints at his friend who looks abashed and shy now. He decides to question Jongin’s uncharacteristic behaviour later and settles to take the new set of coupons(?) from the other. Hopefully, they are not expired. If so, Kyungsoo will rip Jongin’s s off (yes physically).


“This better not be bubble tea again.” Kyungsoo huffs cutely and checks out the sheet in his hand. The handwriting is all squiggly and unkempt and almost recognizable as Jongin’s - wait, these aren’t coupons. Round orbs widening further and cheeks flaring up rosily, Kyungsoo lets his mouth fall open a little as he reads each of the homemade coupons (which are actually colored papers cut into smaller pieces).


No, these aren’t coupons at all. The heat runs up from the back of Kyungsoo’s neck.



Free hugs from Jongin!


Free bubble tea from Jongin!


Free usage of Jongin’s PSP for a day!


Free movie night at Jongin’s place + popcorn!!


Free sleepover at Jongin’s!!



As seconds pass, Jongin could feel his face shifting appearance into one comparable to a ripe tomato.


Embarrassingly, this is the only brilliant idea he could come up with. In fact, it’s the first thing that pops into his mind when he thinks of how to repay Kyungsoo. He pays no attention of the voice in the back of his head telling him that he only wants Kyungsoo to spend more time with him.


“W-Well?” Jongin tries hard to hide his nervous stutter but fails miserably. Only Kyungsoo, his Kyungsoo,  can reduce him to a state of being a lovestruck dork and only the object of his unnourished affection doesn’t realise that. Jongin’s thundering heartbeat ceases when the love of his life raises his face up to level their gazes.


Kyungsoo is all lovely with his heart shaped grin and crescent-shaped smiling eyes as he beams out a happy ‘yes’. The natural blush on his face is so sweet, so adorable, Jongin wishes to envelope the slender framed male in his arms and shower him with all the kisses and cuddles in the world.


“I’ll be using the movie night and sleepover Kim Jongin coupons now then.”


Jongin makes a dying whale sound as soon as Kyungsoo steps out of his apartment, the slam of the door knocking him out of his reverie as the love struck boy scatters all over his living room to find the perfect movie for tonight.


Outside on the streets, a male bounces merrily in his steps back home.

 

 

 

 

If there’s one thing Jongin likes, correction, loves the most about Kyungsoo is his eyes. Those big innocent-looking orbs that take in everything in the world with childlike fascination and how they glitter enchantingly when Kyungsoo is happy. There are other things about Kyungsoo that Jongin adores as well. He could make an endless list of Kyungsoo’s charms and the list would get longer and longer because every day Jongin finds something attractive about Kyungsoo.

 

And tonight, Jongin admires the beautiful curve of Kyungsoo’s slender shoulders. The luscious skin from his neck to his shoulders was pale and creamy, almost a fair porcelain under the illuminating light. The sight is so tempting, so delectable - Jongin’s tripping into the web of unconscious seduction Kyungsoo sets up for him.

 

 

“Jongin.” A melodious voice calls out as the narrow shouldered figure bounces up closer to him with a bowl of popcorn in his hold. “I’m ready. Let’s watch the movie now.” The older male sounds so innocently naive compared to Jongin’s current dilemma.

 

 

Kyungsoo’s wearing his shirt and Jongin’s heart is soaring so happily. His white shirt is a size or two too big for tiny little Kyungsoo to fit in and it makes Jongin want to scream from the unfairness of it all. Every time the loose shirt slips a little off Kyungsoo’s shoulder, it gives Jongin a perfect view of the flesh for his eyes to feast hungrily on.

 

 

Jongin wonders if he squints hard enough would he be able to see Kyungsoo’s s behind the flimsy material? After staring (ogling) for a minute or so, Jongin shrieks and slaps his inner erted self aside. No, bad Jongin, bad. He blames his raging hormones for spiking up his dirty thoughts.

 

 

“If you’re done conversing with yourself,” Kyungsoo’s lips curl up to an attractive crescent. “Shall we start?” It’s been more than a few minutes since Jongin has been standing there like a statue while Kyungsoo chews on butter coated popcorn, trying to gauge Jongin’s oddness. In a matter of time, the tiny male has nearly finished half a bowl.

 

 

Inner Jongin lets out a girlish scream and cartwheels out of his dingy apartment to find the nearest window so that he could jump off the building screaming ‘DO KYUNGSOO’.

 

 

“Uh, okay.” Jongin manages to mutter out without twisting his tongue.

 

 

Before the older male turns off the lights, Jongin crams himself into the furthest corner of his two seater couch which is not really that far because when the dark haired male takes a seat next to him, he can smell Kyungsoo’s sweet vanilla and mint scent mingling with his own and , Kyungsoo smells like him because he’s wearing his (favourite) shirt and the next thing Jongin wants to do is to bury himself into the sofa.

 

Please let me disintegrate and be one with the dust particles.

 

 

 

 

 

 

The first thirty minutes of the movie is interesting enough to keep them entertained but not completely engrossed. Jongin finds himself stealing glances more than once at the pale boy beside him. There’s this ethereal glow that Kyungsoo emits which entrances Jongin and he swears he’s not delusional or anything.

 

 

Kyungsoo’s owl eyes widen comically when one of the monsters rose up from the water, a small gasp escaping from his lips and Jongin stares. Kyungsoo’s eyebrows knit together as the suspense builds up and Jongin stares. Kyungsoo turns sideways, his gaze meeting Jongin’s and Jongin still stares.

 

A confused Kyungsoo ends up throwing popcorns at Jongin’s face for no reason.

 

And Jongin somehow resorts to tickling Kyungsoo’s toes in retaliation.

 

 

In the end, the movie is forgotten and the popcorn is all over the floor as the two start a pillow fight, laughter filling up the entire apartment.

 

 

He’s laughing so hard his tummy aches. His chest feels light but also heavy at the same time, bursting with warmth. He feels like he’s high up in the air yet he’s falling down with gravity’s pull. Kyungsoo’s chiming laughter and mesmerising eyes hypnotise him, dragging him into an abyss, deeper and deeper and deeper. It’s like drowning and flying.

 

 

Jongin wonders if this is what love feels like.

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Move your big away.”

 

 

“Says the one one who’s all squishy.”

 

 

Kyungsoo fakes a hurt gasp. “Meanie.” He tries to kick the taller male off the bed but fails so he opts for stealing Jongin’s blanket instead.

 

 

He restrains the giggles when the older male vainly tries to tug the blanket away from him. With one hand, Jongin easily tugs his blanket back to his body. “Childish.” Maybe he’s saying it back to himself since he’s the one poking his tongue out at Kyungsoo.

 

 

“I’m older than you.”

Jongin feels like dying (or flying) when he feels those tiny toes poking against his in retaliation. It makes him feel warm and tingly in his stomach. He promptly wonders if he should jump out of his window.

 

“Don’t call your hyung childish.” Kyungsoo nudges his elbow hard onto Jongin’s firm chest. He parts his lips for more nagging but a yawn comes out instead and Kyungsoo’s eyelashes flutter adorably in a sleepy way that has Jongin’s heart skipping a beat or two.

 

 

“Okay. Okay.” His hand instinctively rubs over Kyungsoo’s shoulder as Jongin reaches over to the small table next to him. “We should probably sleep now. Let me turn off the light.” As he turns off the switch of his table lamp, Jongin hears a soft ‘mm’ coming from the older male underneath him. The sweet scent of Kyungsoo fills his nose and Jongin hastily jumps back to his spot, plastering himself to the corner.

 

 

He gives himself a few seconds to calm his raging heartbeat.

 

 

That is until a sleepy wide eyed Kyungsoo turns over to face him with that silly (unbelievably cute) grin on his lips causing Jongin’s heart to revert back to nearly jumping out of his ribcage.

 

“Good..night...” The small sized male could barely speak, eyelids turning heavy and breaths going slow and steady. “Jongin..”

 

Jongin smiles as he watches Kyungsoo’s eyes flutter close, light breathing sounds coming from him as he goes in slumberland. His voice is a whisper, smooth and gentle as he brushes his fingertips across Kyungsoo’s cheek. “Sleep tight, hyung.”

 

He waits until Kyungsoo is truly asleep. Then only is Jongin brave enough to scoot closer and gather the tiny male into his arms, placing Kyungsoo’s head gently atop his chest and nuzzles his nose into Kyungsoo’s hair. He smells Kyungsoo, Kyungsoo and Kyungsoo. Jongin sighs in contentment and lets Kyungsoo’s soft thrumming body lull him to sleep.

 

“Hey, hyung...” Jongin sleepily mumbles out. He knows Kyungsoo won’t give him a reply but it won’t hurt trying. “Hyung, I like you.” Jongin giggles almost drunkenly, mumbling again and again. “I...like you...”

 

 

Even after ten years, Kim Jongin couldn’t sleep without a Do Kyungsoo tucked close to his heart.

 
 
 
 
 
 
For the first time after many countless sleepovers, Jongin wakes up alone in his apartment. It’s lonely and quiet. No smell of freshly cooked bacon or pancakes or waffles coming from his kitchen. No melodies sung from Kyungsoo’s beautiful voice. No Kyungsoo waking him up with a poke on his forehead and his angelic laughter of ‘wake up, sleepyhead. your breakfast will get cold.’
 

 

Jongin shrugs it off.

 

 

Maybe Kyungsoo has something to do and he had to leave urgently.

 

 

When he sets his own breakfast on the table, eggs and bacons with a tall glass of orange juice, Jongin takes a bite and a frown plays across his thick lips. He chews slowly and continues eating in silence. Jongin knows it doesn’t taste quite the same if it’s not Kyungsoo’s cooking.

 

-

 

From: Jongin

Hey hyung

Wanna hangout tomorrow?

Let’s go out for movies :)

 

 

 

From: Kyungsoo

Sorry. I’m not available tomorrow.

Maybe next time.

 

 

-

 

From: Jongin

Hyung, are you coming over tomorrow?

 

 

From: Kyungsoo

I can’t, I have to study.

 

From: Jongin

Okay.

Study hard :DD

 

-

 

From: Jongin

Hey ...

Are you going to use the Jongin bubble tea coupon?

How about tomorrow??

 

From: Kyungsoo

Oh, I just had bubble tea yesterday with Luhan.

 

From: Jongin

Maybe next time then..?

 

From: Kyungsoo

Yeah. Next time.

-

 

From: Jongin

Why didn’t you come to the dance studio?

I was waiting for you to take me out for dinner :(

 

 

From: Jongin

Have you been skipping school lately? I don’t see you much.

Hyung, are you sick?

 

 

From: Jongin

Hyung…

I’m worried.

 

 

From: Jongin

Where are you?? You’re not in your apartment??

:( I brought fried chicken for us to share..

 

 

From: Jongin

Kyungsoo...

I miss you.

 

 

Jongin waits for another few days. His phone is quiet, no calls or messages from his dear Kyungsoo. Jongin quietly sulks in front of the computer, eyes emptily gazing at the unmoving cursor. Why is Kyungsoo avoiding him? He chances a glimpse at his phone again.

 

 

No new message(s).

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The bell chimes, lunch time is here and still no sign of wide eyed tiny framed Do Kyungsoo.

 

 

Jongin takes quicker strides, forehead lines creasing as he surveys the school hallways. Nope. No Kyungsoo. The frown becomes intense on Jongin’s thick lips. Another day without Kyungsoo. Another day of moping around. He’s had enough to be honest, all this hide and seek is fueling his irritation.

 

 

“Hey, have you seen Kyungsoo?” Jongin walks straight in front of a chattering Baekhyun (who’s busy flirting with a lisp dancer) and deadpans. “Have you?” The tanned male places a hand on Baekhyun’s shoulder and shakes. He doesn’t notice the sharp glare Sehun is sending him.

 

 

“What.” Baekhyun raises an eyebrow, face scrunching up into a disgruntled scowl from being disrupted of his flirting session. The kicked puppy look crossing Jongin’s facial features had him quickly feeling sorry for the younger boy. “You’re looking for Kyungsoo? He hasn’t been to school for .. about three days now? He says he’s not feeling well.”

 

 

Jongin’s heart threatens to fall down to his gut. Kyungsoo is sick. Sick.

 

 

An image of a pale bedridden Kyungsoo sinks into his mind, coughing loudly and wheezing while trying to stay conscious from the merciless high fever he’s having. The worriment enters Jongin’s pores rapidly, soaking his entire being with concern for the boy who carries a heart shaped smile.

 

 

“But shouldn’t you know that, Jongin..” Baekhyun’s voice is full of uncertainty. Aren’t you two best friends? The sentence is left hanging. Sehun is quiet but his head is pretty much saying the same thing too. What happened?

 

 

Because everyone knows that whenever there’s Jongin

 

 

there is a Kyungsoo by his side.

 

 

“I don’t know, hyung.” Jongin’s shoulders start trembling. Should he laugh or cry? He doesn’t know. “I don’t know.” He doesn’t.

 
 
 
 
 
It reeks.
 

The strong scent of alcohol and booze is causing his head to throb immensely. The thing is Jongin doesn’t recall consuming any strong liquor before he went to bed. He wrinkles his nose in disgust when another whiffy breath hits his face.

 

“Y-You idi..ooot..” Tiny unknown hands holds a firm grip on his shirt and tugs hard. “Wake up, Jongin. Wake up!” There’s a few more tugs and the delicate voice, shrill and high, yells into his right ear painfully.

 

 

“Urgh.” A tired groan escapes from Jongin’s lips. There’s a sudden weight sitting on his stomach, legs straddling both sides of his waist. Jongin’s aware of the small fists hitting his chest repeatedly followed by a slur of incoherent words. Wait, what is going on?

 

 

“Jongin, you dobe. You better wake up!” The voice is sickeningly familiar, it stings Jongin’s heart. “I didn’t crawl all the way here to hear you snoring.”

 

 

It takes the half-awakened male a few minutes to get his head clear of sleep before he groggily switches on his table lamp, ignoring how the pounding of fists weakly hit his chest again and again. The bright light hurts his pupils causing him to momentarily clench them shut before slowly opening again.

 

 

Once his eyesight is better, Jongin grips the delicate small hands. “Will you stop -” His breath gets caught in his throat once his gaze lands on a handsome face he’s been missing for days.

 

 

“H-Hyung?” He blinks again to make sure he isn’t dreaming. “Kyungsoo, is that you?” His voice is still a little raspy from sleep but Jongin pays no mind to it. He brushes a calloused finger across the smooth skin of Kyungsoo’s cheeks, delighting how it heats up.

 

 

“Jongin...” Kyungsoo’s parted rosy lips look so kissable. The tiny male looks so disorientated right now, Jongin finds it incredibly cute that a drunk Kyungsoo would somehow stumble his way to his apartment and into his bed.

 

 

Those round orbs are hazy and unfocused, eyes rimmed red with slight tears gathering in their corners and Jongin gently wipes them away with his thumb. Kyungsoo’s face is red and sweaty but still so stunningly gorgeous. His usually neat hair is also sticking out in odd angles, Jongin muses as he the strands back into place.

 

 

Jongin flicks Kyungsoo’s pinkening nose earning a distressed whine from the other. “Are you drunk, hyung?” His nose twitches from the foul smell from the boy straddling his lap. He hears another whine from the other. “So cute.” Jongin leans forward and kisses Kyungsoo’s red runny nose, nibbling a little before he pulls away, his own face colours pleasantly.

 

 

“N-No, I’m not. D-Do not call me cute.” Kyungsoo stutters out, successfully freeing his hands again and continues his gorilla (even though his strength is not even 1/100 of the real thing) pounding on Jongin’s chiselled chest. He pauses to hiccup or burp, giggling hysterically before resuming the punching. “You stupid, stupid handsome dork. I hate you.” Kyungsoo’s movements turn jerky, body swaying on top of Jongin until the latter holds him still.

 

Jongin practically chokes on his saliva and the blush never leaves his face. “W-What?”

 

“S-Shut up.” Kyungsoo hisses out as his big eyes narrow down at Jongin. He fists the tanned male’s shirt again and drags him up close until their noses are brushing. The proximity doesn’t bother the drunk Kyungsoo at all, his shyness seemingly gone by now. “You’re always so stupid. So perfect. It makes me want to punch you into a wall then kiss you until you lose your breath.”

 

 

The words are barely going into Jongin’s head, his train of rational thoughts are muddled. His lungs contract in his chest, constricting his throat and all he can gasp out is - “Oh.” He still thinks Kyungsoo’s tear stricken face is aesthetically pleasing.

 

 

The drunk male continues his babbling, letting everything out. “A-And I hate how you always call me h-hyung and smile. It makes me feel like so happy, I could die and I just..” Kyungsoo hiccups again, eyes tearing up from his confession. “I like you a lot, Jongin. I-I wasn’t sure if you felt the same way. S-So I ran away, I was so a-afraid of being rejected.”

 

 

Quietly hushing Kyungsoo’s sniffing noises, Jongin nuzzles their noses together, giggling dorkily almost like what the other did just now. Gods, he’s overjoyed. He feels like he can do anything now - jump over the moon, carry an elephant on one finger. Just name it. His heart feels so much lighter now albeit it’s still fluttering anxiously. “Hyung. Hyung.” He mumbles out again and again. “I like you too. Like you so much.”

 

 

Kyungsoo answers with a squeaky ‘really?’ and Jongin laughs heartily, rolling them back under the blankets. They play footsies with each other as if they are ten and young, sharing drunken kisses amidst their laughter.

 

 

Jongin knows that Kyungsoo might not remember this tomorrow so he greedily steals more kisses from the older male, making sure those lips will be red and swollen until the sun rises up tomorrow. So that Kyungsoo will know that he belongs to Jongin now, belongs with him. He doesn’t mind how Kyungsoo reeks of booze anymore, as long as Kyungsoo is right next to him - where he should be always, right next to Jongin.

 

Right next to his heart.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Kyungsoo wakes up to a tormenting Saturday morning. The painful throbbing in his head feels as if a thousand bricks just dropped on him last night and his entire body is aching, pricks and needles all over. Vaguely, he’s unsure of what happened last night.

 

 

The doe eyed male makes a sleepy noise, rolling back to his side. The slender frame curls around itself, seeking for more sleep to soothe the thrum of his numb body. His nose burries into the fluffy pillow,he inhales and it smells so good, just like Jongin. Jongin. Kyungsoo blinks one eye open, cautiously looking around and he shrieks, the sound almost similar to a pterodactyl.

 

 

“O-Oh god, this is not my room.” Kyungsoo turns a pale white and kicks the bed covers away only to shriek again when he sees how bare his body is. He stares silently at the amount of cloth covering himself, his creamy legs revealed and the soft curve of his shoulders are cold too.

 

 

There’s another throb. Kyungsoo pinches the bridge of his nose and sees the recognizable photo frames hanging around the room. There’s this one black framed photo on top of the desk - a picture of him and Jongin during their childhood days, a captured moment of them having their first bubble tea ‘date’. Little Jongin looks so excited, trying to steal of sip of Little Kyungsoo’s bubble tea. The alarm in the wide orbs disappears, replaced with something soft and tender.

 

 

“Jongin.” The name rolls off his tongue in a caressing tone.

 

 

Kyungsoo wiggles his toes, sniffing at the source of the thick smoky smell. There are shuffling sounds of pans clinking and more noisy footsteps followed by a grouchy sigh. A small laugh slips out of Kyungsoo’s plush lips unconsciously just imaging how Jongin is trying to figure out how to whip out breakfast.

 

 

“I hope the bacon doesn’t look too overcooked.” Jongin’s sulky voice floats into Kyungsoo’s ears as the male stomps his way towards the bedroom.

 

 

With every footstep, Kyungsoo finds himself on the verge of hyperventilating. Oh dear God, what am I supposed to do? Kyungsoo shuffles on the bed mindlessly, the flood of memories last night playing in his mind quickly, flashes of his humiliating self shamelessly sitting on top of Jongin, hitting him and confessing his inner self desires.

 

 

I like you a lot, my foot.

 

 

Well. Oh. Kyungsoo glimpses at the window and wonders if it’s not too late to take a chance.

 

 

There’s a knock on the door and Jongin enters, mouth ready to greet the older male a cheery ‘Good Morning’ until he realises that Kyungsoo is already wide awake and staring at him like he was a trapped zoo penguin. Cheeks heating up (because his hyung is wearing his shirt again!), Jongin nearly drops the tray but balances himself just as fast, not missing the amused expression on Kyungsoo’s face.

 

 

“Good morning, hyung.” A shy grin is directed at an equally pink-faced Kyungsoo. Jongin takes a few steps towards the bed and places the tray down next to the half-clothed male, resisting the urge to oogle at the provoking sight. “Um, breakfast?” Jongin clears his throat, coughing into his fist.

 

 

“G-Good morning.” Kyungsoo returns the greeting, lowering his head to scrutinise the breakfast Jongin made. It’s an American breakfast, simple and easy to prepare but apparently not for Jongin. Who can blame him? It’s a miracle that the younger didn’t burn down his kitchen.

 

The bacon is slightly burnt making it look crispy, the eggs which he supposed Jongin experimented around to shape them into heart shaped ones (Kyungsoo smiles fondly) but they turned out looking like lumpy masses instead (Kyungsoo wants to coo at the cuteness) but at least the hot dogs are acceptable.

 

“There was supposed to be toast too.” Jongin adds, scratching the back of his neck. “But something went wrong with my toaster.” The tanned male sheepishly smiles and Kyungsoo knows that it’s not the toaster’s fault to begin with at all.

 

 

“Thanks.” Kyungsoo cuts the other’s nervous explanation off with a bright smile. It’s awkward and Kyungsoo doesn’t mind as long as Jongin’s next by his side again. He grabs the cutlery and starts cutting the egg, holding up a piece close to Jongin’s mouth. “Share?”

 

 

Of course the tanned male couldn’t find the heart to deny Kyungsoo’s request. They took turns to feed each other, Kyungsoo giving side comments and teasing Jongin’s excellent cooking while Jongin blushes a beet red and shoves more bacons into Kyungsoo’s mouth to make his cheeks more puffy looking then proceeding to pinch and squish the said fluffy cheeks until Kyungsoo whines out a stop.

 

 

“About last night..” Kyungsoo trails off, his voice lowering into a mere whisper. “What are we now?” He stops halfway with his spooning, staring deeply at the younger male.

 

 

Jongin’s grin falters but only for a few seconds before a bigger grin lights up his Adonis-like features. He chuckles, deep and airy at the same time and it takes Kyungsoo’s breath away as Jongin scoots closer to him. “Well,” Jongin trails a finger over the doe eyed male’s plump lips. “I think that we should upgrade our title now.”

 

 

Kyungsoo’s gasp is shaky. “Title?” His eyes flutter repeatedly when Jongin presses his lips there, twice on each side, leaving a hot electrifying sensation behind.

 

“From best friends,” Jongin pinches the cute button nose, watching how the older male would go all cross eyed. He flicks Kyungsoo’s nose playfully, eliciting a small moan from the other before he smothered sweet kisses all over the ethereal face. Jongin continued, albeit a little breathlessly, “...to boyfriends.”

 

 

Kyungsoo makes an a noise that sounded like a hissing kitten. He couldn’t breathe with all the affection Jongin is suddenly giving him, it’s suffocating- Jongin’s kisses he means. However, Kyungsoo wouldn’t say that he dislike them, in fact, it is quite very the opposite.

 

 

“Maybe in a few years, we’ll upgrade to husbands then.” Jongin kisses Kyungsoo hard on the lips until his mind goes blank.

 

 

Kyungsoo likes that. Yeah, he likes that a lot. If Jongin doesn’t stop kissing him, Kyungsoo fears that he might die from the excessive endorphins or rather the high speed his heart is thudding might sent him to cardiac arrest.

 

 

He swats Jongin’s face away despite the huge grin cracking his face up. “You dork. Stop saying weird things.” Kyungsoo’s smile widens then pulls the other in again to smack their lips together in a gratifying sigh, whispering ‘i love you’s with their breaths mingling together.

 

 

They’re not worried.

 

They have all the time in the world after all.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Jongin and Kyungsoo are best friends upgraded to boyfriends because they have finally stumbled, though clumsily, together over the line of friendship into the area of romance. What they needed was a catalyst, something to spark their new relationship for the better. With every touch, every kiss and every hug, Jongin and Kyungsoo’s bond grew stronger and unyielding - just like their love.

 

Meaningless words and useless actions are not needed to justify their love towards each other. Both Jongin and Kyungsoo know - they just need to read in between the lines.

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

“Jongin?”

 


The soft velvety voice wakes him up from his reverie. Jongin blinks and looks down on his lap where a certain wide eyed male is lying there with his head placed (too) comfortably. “Yeah, hyung?”

 


“You still owe me a bubble tea date by the way.” Kyungsoo reaches up to flick Jongin’s nose. It’s one of those affectionate habits that he’s picked up lately.

 


Jongin’s grin is obnoxious and full of implications when he tangles his limbs with Kyungsoo’s shorter ones. He leans down until the ridge of his nose is brushing against the other’s cute button nose, breaths fanning across each others’ faces.

 


“Actually I was thinking of using the Kim Jongin bed sharing coupon tonight.”

 

 

There's a muffled squeal from Kyungsoo followed by soft giggles.

 

 

Jongin and Kyungsoo ; forever and always.

 

 

 

 

 

THE END.

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

LADY'S CORNER

Sorry it took so long, huiru ;~; and I hope you like it.

FORGIVE ME FOR THE SLIGHT ANGST (BUT AT LEAST I DIDN'T KILL KAISOO OFF)

Yeah, this is a new writing style of mine but I won't be using this writing style unless I write long oneshots? Idk.

For the first time, I think I wrote nearly 7k words WITHOUT IN IT /cheers for myself/

And also many, many thanks to my lovely BETA, Alanna (@dyoyoo on twitter) for helping me out when I need her <3

I know that I haven't been updating for these few weeks. It's just that I'm really, really busy until I don't even go on twitter much.

I'll be back by mid October - UNTIL THEN, MY LOVELIES!