Lying Here with You

Lying Here with You

 

The loud party music blasting from the living room is enough to make the two-storey house go crumbling down, with bodies on the dancefloor grinding to the beat of the music. 

 

Across the room, I see you in a corner, seemingly detached from all the chaos happening around us. I make my way through the crowd, my lithe body easily slipping through the sea of bodies. As I got closer, I notice your expression. An expression I know too well.

 

"Come with me" I grab your hand before you even utter a protest.
 
We weave our way to the second floor. I open every door we pass by, looking for that place I saw before I got in. I opened a door, where a man is busy with his computer, and saw another door to his left. Bingo.
 
"Sorry to bother you but can we get through there?" I asked the man, pointing to the door.
 
"No, no, not at all. Go ahead" he smiled, grabbing his headphones as we head towards the other door.

 

I opened it and pushed you to go, revealing the terrace I found earlier when I looked up before going inside the party.

 

I lied down on the floor, ignoring the coldness of it and got comfortable.

 

You stood there awkwardly, not knowing what to do.

 

"Come on, I know you're tired. I could tell. You had your 'i-am-not-tired-so-this-is-a-poker-face expression' going on. I know you too well, you know"

 

"But they'll be looking for us-"

 

"Screw them. We need rest too. Come on!" I insisted.

 

You let out a sigh, shrugged and figured 'what the hell' then plopped down next to me.

 

"The stars are really lovely out here" I said, looking up at the night sky.

 

"Yeah, really lovely"

 

I stole a glance, I see a smile tugging at the corners of your lips as you take in the scenery.

 

I can't help but smile myself.

 

A comfortable silence descended. And before I realized it, your hand is holding mine. I stole another glance and saw you have fallen asleep.

 

And as I felt my eyes slowly close, I hear a faint 'thank you' before sleep finally took me to the land of dreams.