Our World

Our World

“Baby, mom wants you to come over for dinner?”

Yuri stood upright, looking straight into Tiffany’s eyes. Tiffany had her arms around Yuri’s waist. They were in the train, heading back to their respective homes.

“Your mom or you?” Yuri teased Tiffany.

“My mom but I want it more.”

Yuri pecked Tiffany’s lips. “Sure then.”

It was not the first time Yuri stayed for dinner at Tiffany’s but Yuri did not want to give Tiffany’s parents any chance to dislike her. Every time she visits them, she will bring something for them. Yuri decided she will buy something Tiffany’s mom would like.

“Mom, Dad, we are back!” Tiffany shouted when she unlocked the door of her apartment.

“Okay, sweetie. Dinner will be ready soon.”

Yuri walked into the kitchen to greet Tiffany’s mother. “Hi, Auntie! Here’s something extra for dinner.”

“Oh hey Yuri, you know you don’t have to bring anything.”

“Just a small thing, Auntie. Do you need help?”

“No, no, everything is done already. Go grab a seat.”

“Thanks, Auntie but let me at least prepare the table for you.”

“Okay. Yuri-ya, you are always so sweet.”

Tiffany came to the kitchen and backhugged her mom. “Mom, am I not sweet?”

“Hahaha, yes yes you are, sweetie. Now will you help Yuri to prepare the table and call your dad?”

Dinner was delightful. It felt like a complete family for Yuri and Tiffany. A lovely, lovely dinner. After dinner, Tiffany excused herself to take a shower while Yuri volunteered to do the dishes. While doing the dishes, she had a conversation with Tiffany’s mom.

“Yuri-ya, it’s always good to have you around. You make our house livelier.”

Yuri smiled. “Thank you Auntie for always having me over. You make the best dinner.”

When Tiffany finished showering, it was time for Yuri to leave. Tiffany sent Yuri down to the lobby.

“Baby, call me when you reach home.”

“Love you.” Yuri pecked Tiffany’s lips.

Yuri and Tiffany were together for more than a year now. They never kept it a secret .Neither did they announce to the world that they are gay and in a relationship. Yuri was not a person who easily opens her heart to anyone. Tiffany was one of the rare ones who made it. In short, Tiffany made Yuri happy and vice versa.

All these while, Yuri always had the thought that she will not stay in the country for the rest of her life. She is a free person. She moves around the globe a lot and she likes it. She stayed in Seoul for the past one year and her heart is telling her that it’s time to move on already. Tiffany knew about this side of Yuri even before they got together. She decided to give it a gamble and hope that Yuri will stay put in Seoul with her. However, nothing can stop Yuri, not even Tiffany.

“I’m sorry, Fany.” Yuri had her head hung low. She held Tiffany’s hand tightly, not wanting to let go.

“Don’t leave.”

“You know I have to, baby. I should not have agreed to be with you. I am very sorry to have made this decision. I know I am very selfish.”

“Let me go with you.” Tiffany was already sobbing.

“No, you cannot, Fany.” Yuri held Tiffany in her embrace, gently her hair. “Your parents only have you. They’ll need you and you need them.”

“But I need you too.”

“I know it’s too much to ask of you. Will you forget this cruel and selfish person standing in front of you and lead a happy life?”

Tiffany shook her head vigorously.

“Please. Forget me. Don’t wait for me.” Yuri pulled away from the embrace and left Tiffany at her apartment’s lobby. Tiffany never saw Yuri again.

For the next 10 years, Yuri lived like a nomad, travelling around the globe. She was happy to learn different languages, experience different cuisines and most of all, meet different people around the world. She would stay for a couple of months in each country. She would do odd-jobs for her living expenses and would roam around the city during her free time. There was always one thing that she did not fail to do in every country or city. She would send a postcard from the city to this person she still treasures.

Amsterdam

‘Peaceful water streaming along the canals. Hope your life is as such. Love.’

Toronto

‘Warmth is not needed when love is in the heart.’

Sydney

‘Opera House is spectacular like you.’

Nepal

‘No words needed to describe this smile.’

The list goes on. These postcards never state the name of the sender but the recipient knows well who.

Yuri went back to Seoul for the first time in 10 years.  There was a sense of familiarity when she stepped on the ground. She took a deep breathe. “I’m back, Seoul.”

She checked in the hotel she booked and thereafter, she decided to go to that place. She ringed the bell of the apartment. A little girl opened the door.

“Who are you looking for?”

“Sorry, is there a Tiffany living here?”

The girl frowned and turned around while shouting, “Dad! Dad!”

Yuri figured that this girl might be Tiffany’s daughter. Yuri smiled, thinking that Tiffany has built a family. This girl looks lovely, just like Tiffany. Then, a nice-looking man came to the door, greeting Yuri.

“Hi, you are looking for Tiffany?”

“Yes, does she live here?”

“Ah. Yes but she’s not in at the moment. But come in.” The man opened the door and welcomed Yuri.

Yuri entered the place she used to be very familiar with. Everything was still the same except there are more people in the house now. Yuri immediately smiled when she saw Tiffany’s parents sitting at the living room.

“Auntie. Uncle.” Tiffany’s mom quickly stood up and run towards Yuri and hugged her tightly. “Yuri-ya, you are back finally.”

“Yes, Auntie. I am. How are you?”

Tiffany’s mom pulled away from the hug. “I am good, Yuri-ya. How long have it been?”

“10 years, Auntie. I am sorry.”

“Don’t apologise.”

“Where is she?”

“She went out to get something. Do you want to wait in her room?”

“Sure, Auntie. Thanks.”

“Nothing changed, Yuri-ya. You know her room, right?”

“Yes. Thank you.”

Yuri slowly walked through the corridor leading to Tiffany’s room. She stood in front of Tiffany’s room and turned the door knob. The first thing that came in sight caused Yuri to tear up. Tiffany had collected all the postcards sent by Yuri and stuck them to the wall making the map of earth. Yuri walked closer to the wall and examined each of the postcards. There must have been more than 100 postcards. On each postcard, there were writings apart from Yuri’s message. It was Tiffany’s replies.

Tokyo

‘Enjoy the sushi, I know you love it’

Beijing

‘Wear a mask, the pollution is bad’

Paris

‘I dreamt that we were at the top’

Prague

‘Maybe one day you can draw me’

Zurich

‘This is the picture I have in my heart’

The door opened, startling Yuri. Tiffany stood at the door while Yuri just stared at the girl.

“I am sorry.” Yuri spoke up.

Tiffany ran to Yuri and hugged her. Tiffany started to sob, not being able to utter a single word.

Yuri smiled. “I am sorry, Fany. It’s been 10 years already. I am happy to see that you are happy with a family.”

Tiffany released Yuri and looked at her questioningly. “Family?”

“The man and little girl outside?”

“They are my cousin and little niece.”

“Why, Fany? I told you not to wait for me.”

“I did not. My heart just cannot fall for anyone else.”

Yuri pulled Tiffany into her embrace. “Sorry, Fany, sorry. I am too selfish to leave you”

“You did not leave me at all. I went to all these places with you. I think I have heard enough of ‘sorry’.” Tiffany pointed to the postcards.

“What about ‘I love you’?”

Tiffany pulled away to look into Yuri’s eyes. “Any part of the world you still wish to visit?”

“I love you.”

“You did not answer me.”

“I said I love you.”

“You are going to leave again, aren’t you?”

“I have one part of the world that I must visit before I die.”

Yuri pecked Tiffany’s lips.

“Our world, baby, our world.” She kissed Tiffany again.