A Not So Friendly Rivalry (A ChangYoon One-shot)

A Not So Friendly Rivalry (A ChangYoon One-shot)

 

A Friendly Rivalry

 

 

I was typing furiously on my computer keyboard, cursing to myself every time I encode a typographical error. My eyes flicker toward the small clock on my office desk and I purse my lips in frustration. I have less than six minutes to crack this case or else Changmin will beat me into submitting it to Lina yet again. Until today I never understood why she had to hire two partners in her firm.

 

“Yes!” I hiss under my breath as I click the print button, leaning back on my swivel chair as I cracked my knuckles. There is no way Changmin is beating me today and risk my chances of getting the promotion.

 

I impatiently drum my fingers on the desk as I watch the printing machine leisurely print out the twenty or so papers.

 

“Can this printer be any slower? Damn it.” I bite my lip, on edge.

 

I check the computer screen and smile triumphantly as the last few pages of the documents are being printed. In your face Changmin!

 

“Just a little bit…” I hummed.

 

The screen suddenly fades to black and my heart drops.

 

“What the…?” I yelp, standing up to inspect it.

 

“We never said anything about playing dirty, didn’t we?” Changmin appears in behind my desk with a devious grin, a thick manila envelope of his version of the case proceedings safely tucked in his arm.

 

“What did you do?” I shrieked. His eyes flicker towards the floor where the computer plug is located. It was unplugged.

 

“Oops, I must have accidentally unplugged it. Sorry.” He feigned innocence.

 

My eyes widen but all I could see was red. “You jerk!”

 

He shrugs, unaffected. His eyes were glinting in victory and mischief.

 

“I’ll just fax you instructions on my dry-cleaning, alright Ms. Im?” he smirks and turns away, leaving for Lina’s office with long effortless strides.

 

I bang my head on the desk with a loud thud and bite my fist, stifling my angry screams.

 

 

 


 

 

I pull the hair tie from my up-do and let my dark locks fall into loose curls. Reaching over, I grab my oversized bag and gave my organized worktable a last glance to make sure I didn’t leave anything important. I flick the lights off in my office and straighten my pencil skirt before I left.

 

Most of the lights inside the building have already been turned off, as I was one of the few employees who actually bother to work overtime. My four-inch heels click faintly on the marbled floors as I approach the elevators and I press the down button with a manicured fingernail.

 

I hear distinctive footsteps and whistling behind me and I frown, already knowing whom it was. There’s only one man in this building who wears Italian leather shoes.

 

“Congratulations with the promotion.” I muttered. I guess I have to start being nice to him now, since he’s my new boss and all.

 

He leans against the black marbled wall while we wait for the lift to arrive. I look away to stop myself from excessively staring at his sleekly suited form. The elevator dings and we both enter the compressed space in silence.

 

“I didn’t get promoted.” My ears perked up at this.

 

“What?” I whip my head to his direction.

 

“Lina was already saving that spot for someone else.”

 

“Oh.” I didn’t comprehend anything at all.

 

“I was expecting a more smug response from you.” He said with a small bitter smile.

 

“What?”

 

“And here I thought I willingly let Im Yoona beat me from the top spot in law school.”

 

“What the hell are you talking about?” The lift stops at the parking lot and we both exit.

 

Changmin sighs keenly. “I knew Lina was going to make you senior partner, anyway.” He finally said.

 

I’ve been rifling through my bag for my phone and my hand freezes at his words. I look at him, wide eyed.

 

“Congratulations.” He was smiling genuinely at me and his words finally dawn on me.

 

“Ohmygodohmygodohmygod!” I gushed, clapping my hands while I jump up and down in sheer delight. He laughs at my enthusiastic reaction and I leap into his arms. He catches me with ease.

 

“I don’t even know why we’re fighting over it. I don’t see the problem on which of us gets the promotion. We’re already married and we share the same bank account.” He puts me and my Louboutin clad feet back on the cemented ground and kisses the top of my head.

 

“It’s not about the salary raise.” I defended.

 

“Really now.”

 

“Okay, maybe a little bit.” I said with a laugh. We approach Changmin’s black Audi and he opens the door for me.

 

“I’m proud of you.” He tells me when we were both finally seated inside confines of the car.

 

I lean over to him and kiss his cheek.

 

“You know, we have the whole night to celebrate.” I whispered in his ear and he visibly shivers, his knuckles on the steering wheel turning white. He instantly starts the car and revs the engine.

 

I’ve never seen him drive so hurriedly than he did that night.

 

 

 

-End-