012

He's Charming

Chapter 12

 

 

The following week, Eunhye decided to go back to her parents house for the time being to avoid Sehun. Her parents were surprised and she lied to them that the neighbourhood is not that safe these days because of a flasher , which is not entirely a lie as the rumours had been going around for a while, and that she’ll return when he’s caught. 

 

Her parents let her settles in her old room with her younger sister who is in middle school. 

 

“ Hey, Eunbi! I bought you some strawberries” she said, entering the room to find her sister studying on the desk. Eunbi turned and smiled excitingly, “ Really? “ she asked and ran out of the room. 

 

Eunhye sighed and settled on the single bed. She’ll have to sleep on the floor then. 

 

Her mom came in with beddings and heating pad. “ Here “ she hands it over to Eunhye and she put them on the floor beside the bed. 

 

“ Have you heard from your brother? “ her mom asked. Eunhye shook her head, “ No. Why? “ 

 

“ He’s coming home tonight. He said he has something to tell us “ 

 

Eunhye raised her eyebrows with question. “ What is it? “ she asked her mother but even her mother doesn’t know. 

 

 

 

That night, while waiting for Hyun Soo to come back home, they were sprawled in the living room watching TV. 

 

Eunbi , Hyunsik , her little brother, and Eunhye are lying down on the warm mat watching the TV in the dark.  

 

Suddenly, the home telephone rings. The three of them turn their heads towards the direction of the sound. Eunhye’s mother, who was preparing some food for Hyun Soo in the living room called out. “ Go pick it up. It must be your brother”

 

Eunhye kicks her younger brother by the shin, signalling him to get it because she was too lazy to do so. Hyunsik grunts loudly on purpose and got up with a tantrum. Eunhye makes faces at him as he walks lazily to pick up the phone call. 

 

“ Hello ?” Hyunsik speaks. Eunhye perks up her ears to hear because she's curious as well for some reason. Hyunsik remains silent for a good minute with the phone to his ears. 

 

“ What is it?” Their mother called out from the kitchen. He didn't reply. Eunhye sit up and jerk her head to look over the couch at Hyunsik. He was standing stiff by the table where the telephone is. Eunbi also turned to see him standing still. They are weirded out. 

 

Their mother walks out of the kitchen with her apron on as she approaches Hyunsik. She took the telephone from him and talked into it. “ Hello ? “ she said as she take a look at her son. Hyunsik is looking down with a grave expression. It’s like blood is drained from his face. 

 

“ W-what? “ her mother’s voice quavered. 

 

At this point, Eunhye became anxious. Did something happened to Hyun Soo? He is supposed to be here by now. 

 

They watch as their mother nods into the phone and hang up on it. She turn to Eunhye and said “ Call your brother and tell him to come now”. 

 

Her hair stood up. 

 

 

 

 

Sehun was flipping his phone as he settles at a coffee shop in front of Eunhye’s apartment. He didn’t see she comes out or go in all day at all. Is she not home yet? 

 

After their last meeting, Sehun was positive she met her before. He just couldn’t pinpoint when it exactly was. He also thinks Eunhye knows but wouldn’t tell him. The question in his head is driving him crazy. 

 

After a while, he went in the apartment building to knock on her door. He was in front of her apartment door for a while —knocking and pressing the bell but it seems like she’s not back yet. 

 

He pulls out his phone and begin texting her. 

“ You’re not home yet? “ 

 

He waited for awhile to see if the message is sent. A second after it had sent, the message was read. He waited for her to answer but she didn’t. 

 

He tilted his head. “ Is she ignoring me ? “ he said. 

 

I’m at your house “ he texted. 

 

He saw on the messaging app that she’s typing and smiled to himself knowing that she’ll respond. 

 

“  Go back “  she replied. 

 

His forehead hardens at her cold response. He replied “Why?” and waited. 

 

I won’ t be home “ she replied. 

 

Sehun grew worried. “ Why? Is something wrong?” he said out loud as he typed. The message wasn’t read by her and he didn’t get a reply at all after that. 

 

 

 

 

It is a sad day for Eunhye’s family. Her beloved and her most closest aunt had passed away. They were shocked and heartbroken as they learned about the news. She is still young and doesn’t deserve to go through that kind of pain. Apparently, it was cancer. It was discovered late and the doctor said she cannot be cured anymore. 

 

Eunhye was the closest to her because she had lived with her when she was young so she’s taking it the hardest. She couldn’t stop crying for the whole day, her body was shaking uncontrollably. The guests coming cannot help but glance at her as she couldn’t control her grief at the memorial. 

 

Hyun Soo was by her side, caressing his little sister’s back as a support. He knows how much their late aunt means to her. He had gotten the call from Eunbi when he was already arriving at their neighbourhood. He rushed home quick and changed clothes. Then, the siblings came along in his car to see their late aunt for the last time as their parents had went first. 

 

When Eunhye had calmed down, she followed Hyun Soo to greet the guests by the door but she just stood there beside her brother because she didn’t have any energy to greet them. She felt the safest being around Hyun Soo for the moment and can’t separate with him. 

 

Hyun Soo turns to her “ Go get some drink. You look pale and your mouth is dry” he said quietly to her. Eunhye was expressionless but she listened as she walks over to the table with foods and drinks. 

 

When she got back from drinking a glass of water, she stopped in her tracks when she catch a familiar figure. Her eyes begin to widen and her lips lightly shake. She watched as Sehun did the bow like everyone else paying respects at the memorial. He was dressed in all black —his cap was hung low and he took it off as he paid his respects. When he got up, he quickly put his cap back on as lowly as he did to hide his face. 

 

When he turns, his eyes met with Eunhye’s —who is now glaring at him. Her eyes were red as she looked at him with an unbelievable expression. Sehun didn’t like the look in her eyes because it is not a good one. He tried to approach her when she walked fast towards him and pulled him with her. 

 

Hyun Soo who was greeting the guest saw as she left with Sehun. Eunbi and Hyunsik watched curiously. 

 

Sehun followed her as she brought them to the stairs behind the door. She shut it close and take a deep breath before turning to him. 

 

“ What the hell are you doing here” she said. Her words came out more as a statement than a question. Sehun gulped. “She’s angry at me” he thought. 

 

He opened his mouth to talk. “ Do you think this is a joke?! What the hell are you doing here?!” Her voice started to raise but Sehun’s look towards her didn’t shake although she is glaring sharply back at him. 

 

“ Do you think it’s funny to follow me even to here? At this place? You’re crossing the line now!” She shouted at him this time, her chest heaving up and down in anger. Her voice began to shake as she felt like she’s about to cry. 

 

“ I heard from Kai. I’m so sorry about your aunt” he said. His voice was soft and gentle. 

 

Eunhye scoffed and laughed a bit as she begins to tear up. She looked up and turned her head , trying to not cry in front of him. Her tears eventually dropped and she couldn't stop sobbing after that as she was looking down with her palm covering her eyes. 

 

Sehun felt bad for her and stepped towards her. He took her in an embrace and caress her back to calm her down. 

 

“ She must be in a better place now “ he whispered to her ears. Eunhye is still sobbing uncontrollably to his chest. 

 

After what seems like ten minutes, her crying has stopped. She stepped back from his chest but she hasn’t looked up. She was wiping all that’s left on her face while looking down. When she finally looked up, her eyes changed. 

 

She was no longer fragile like she looked just now. The look that she’s giving Sehun right now is strong and determined as if she just put up a new wall in front of her. 

 

Sehun stared and wait for her to speak. He didn’t know that the next words that come out of could feel so piercing cold. 

 

“ Don’t show up in front of me ever again”

 

 

 

 

 

 

...

 

26/2/18 - today has been a hellish day for me and last week had been a hellish week for me. i just hope tomorrow onwards will be better. this chapter is dedicated for my beloved aunt. <3 i feel frustrated and stressed that my writing is so bad but i really want to type up this chapter and post. tq for reading . all comments and support are appreciated

ps, it seems like this story is turning to the gloomy road. i apologize. i'll try to liven things up a bit in the next chapters.