-third-

Drapetomania

Alarm clock. 7am

Cell phone. 7:30am

 

Half an hour was the time she took to get ready for school.

Alone at home, it was always easier to make everything at its time. Getting up, getting dressed, preparing some breakfast. Better without anyone mocking you about being late for classes. But she somehow missed that. What some people wished not to have, she wished with all her heart to have it again. Not a mother or a father, she always lived without any of them. But someone to wake her up with a soft voice, someone to prepare her something to eat while she was getting dressed, someone to wave her goodbye as she exited the gates of her house, someone to watch her leaving for school until she disappeared by the end of the street. Was that too much to ask for?

Well, for her, yes it was.                                             

"Whatever, I better get going" erasing those thoughts from her head, she made her way outside.

 

 

" If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"

 

The cold wind ran through her body, even with some layers of clothes. It was not just a cool breeze, it was winter after all.

She closed her eyes as she walked her way to school. She was so used to those streets.

The almost inexistent grass that covered the sidewalks was craving to grow but winter was rough. The river was moving, waving along with the wind, making it colder but it was an enjoyable scene to watch.

But just like every river, that one had two sides. And as she looked over at the opposite side of the river,  her eyes widened in surprise.

 

“Does the walker choose the path, or the path the walker?”

 

That boy sure was crossing her path many times. Walking by her street at night , by the same river in the morning, on the same class during the day. Winter was nice that year. Can all the seasons be like that?

She watched him, smiling to himself. How could someone be so happy in the morning? Little did she know she was the cause of that smile..

She wanted him to notice her but at the same time she wanted to be invisible so she could watch his every move. She felt her eyes fixed on that boy since she first saw him and she was lucky because he was equally interested on her. But as always, she was too blind to see it.

They would have to meet by the end of the street and when she noticed that, she started to feel nervous. Why? That's easy to answer right…

Step by step, she could see it. The school gates. They will meet soon.

"Would it be bad if I tried to talk to him? I guess not… " She started to gain some courage. She really wanted to talk to that boy, he was… interesting (and hot). Yes, she couldn't deny that.

 

Courage: check   Timing:…. not so good

She walked a little faster as he was walking in front of her. Did he not see her? She wanted to know..

Hi. That's all she was going to say but, yes, timing: .

As she opened to talk to him and tried to tap his shoulder so he could see her, a group of boys got in the way. The same boys from the night before. They were so hyper, jumping, laughing, and it was only 8am! And, well, they walked fast so, Jimin: untraceable.

"Guess I will try again later.." She is not the type to give up.

 

 

Boring stuff: classes

What I want to do: eat my lunch

 

The bell rang and it was finally lunch time.

Minah couldn't stop thinking about a way to talk to that boy. It was another thing on her daily "to do list".

She spent her lunch time with Hana and discussed that matter with her. Probably one of the first times she starts a conversation with the subject "boys". For Hana, it was like a dream come true, her friend was interested in a boy!

"It's not like I'm interested, I'm just… ok, yes, I'm kind of interested.. I think.. Bu-"

"Jimin."

"Han? Is that some kind of nickname you gave me? Another one?"

"No, you dumb sh-.. ahem, you dumb girl.. His name. That boy's name is Jimin."

Was she that stupid?

"Oh.. oh.. Oh! That's a pretty name actually.." That name sure was pretty. It suited him.

"Sometimes, I try to find a reason as to why I am your friend and I always get stuck on that question.. "

They were best friends, no one could break their friendship apart. Technically impossible.

 

 

It was getting dark. School day was over.

 

Minah waved Hana goodbye as she made her way outside the school building. She didn't get the chance to talk to that boy, Jimin.

"Tomorrow will come so I'll just wait…" But she didn't feel like waiting. She knew his name but that wasn't enough. She wanted to know him.

"But… what if he doesn't feel the same way? Maybe he doesn't want to talk to me… " Pessimism was taking over again. That happened a lot. She would feel nervous and scared of things she wanted to do because she was pessimist. That's just how life was to her.

But she was drifted off from her thoughts as she felt a light pat on her shoulder, which made her turn around to face the person behind her. Her eyes widened at the sight of that person.

"Hey." His voice was warm. Soft. Just like his presence. "Hm.. are you ok?" He looked at her strangely, with a smirk on his face. That boy sure was cute.

"Hm? Yes, yes I am, sorry.. I was just.. surprised!" She laughed awkwardly as she scratched the back of her head. Not even in front of boys she could act normal.

"Oh, sorry, but that was somehow my intention" His smirk turned into a big smile. "I'm Jimin. Your name is Minah, right?"

He knew her name? Damn, she was happy for that.

"Yes, it is. How do you know my name?"

"Erm, I heard the teacher calling your name..?"

"Ohh, right! Almost forgot about that.. " She mentally slapped herself for being so stupid.

He just laughed. She really was interesting as he thought.

"So, I saw you this morning, by the river.."

He saw her.. That made her a little nervous. She wasn't so invisible after all.

"Oh, I saw you too.. I guess we walk the same path to school, but on opposite sides."

"Yeah, that's why I came to talk to you."

"Hm?"

"To ask you if you want to go home… together."

Did he really just say that? Did he really ask her if she wanted to go with him? Did she hear it right?

She felt so happy at that moment. She didn't know why she felt that happy but truth is, she did. Her lips curved into a wide smile.

"Sure!"

That smile. It was something he wouldn't mind seeing every day. That girl. Talking to her was the best thing he did that day.

 

And with that in mind, they made their way back home. Together.