Two

[REVISING HIATUS] Oddballs

The sun streamed through my window and the faded image of a rainbow quickly left my memory. My alarm was still going off from its spot on my nightstand, and I accidentally knocked off a few things before finding it. It was Monday, my first day of school. I glanced at the uniform hanging from a hook on my wall and took a deep breath. 

"Mei, time for school!" My aunt gave me a quick smile from the door before returning to the kitchen. I rubbed my eyes and found my glasses, stretched my back, and got out of bed. As I made my way to the bathroom, I realized I had no idea how to get to my new school. Maybe that Serah girl goes to the same one...

"Mornin' sunshine." Kris ruffled my hair and I punched his stomach. I'm not really a morning person, what can I say? "Oof! Hey!"

"Love you, too!" I shut the bathroom door in his face before he had the chance to attack me back. HA. I looked at myself in the mirror and my eyes widened at how dark my dark circles had gotten. It had only been, what, a day? I sighed and continued to slap some color back on to my face; thank God for makeup. After donning my usual look that consisted of eyeliner, mascara, and chapstick, I brushed my hair out and returned to my room to put on my uniform. It was weird; the last time I wore a uniform was in kindergarten, back in Canada. The black pleated skirt wasn't too awful, and the maroon tie contrasted nicely with the navy blazer. The white trim was a nice touch, too, I guess. I pulled on the standard black knee-length socks and grabbed my bag that I had packed the night before.  All I needed now were my headphones, phone, keys, and a clue as to how to actually get to school.

Well. That was easy.

Outside, Serah was eagerly waiting at my gate, wearing the exact same uniform as me. Sehun had his back to me, leaning against the low wall that divided our houses, matching with us as well, minus the skirt. She grinned when I closed my door behind me, and I waved. My aunt had given me a piece of toast since I was running late, and all I could think was how anime I felt at the moment. I should stuff it in my mouth and run down the street.

"Morning, Mei Li~ I like your outfit!"

"Thanks! I totally got it at this cute little place called East Seoul Academy," I jutted out my hip for extra effect and Serah linked her arm through mine. Sehun waved and did his face thing again. I wonder if he even knew he did that. "Good morning, Sehun-ssi."

"OH MY GOSH, that's, like, where I got mine!" Serah started chatting about the general layout of the school and Sehun trailed behind us, his simple black earbuds stuffed in his ears. As we neared the building that I assumed was my new school, Serah quieted down and dropped my arm. I gave her a questioning look, but Sehun stepped in front of her protectively.

"Um, you don't have to walk in with us." He scratched the back of his head and motioned to the front door with his chin. "The administration office is through there and the first door on your left."

"But -" Sehun shrugged, but tensed when we heard the sound of skirts ruffling and non-uniform heels clacking against the pavement.

"Ooh, what do we have here?" A girl with long honey-brown hair approached us from out of nowhere. "Fresh meat? Be careful, you might catch their disease if you stand too close."

Serah flinched from behind Sehun and he started to lead her away. All I could hear was a mumbled "See you later..." before they disappeared into the main hall.

"Hi, I'm Jihyun. Since you're new, I'll let this one slide, but you better watch your back, got it?" I nodded in confusion, partly because she was talking really fast and I couldn't exactly understand every word she said, but mostly because of the effect she had on my Rainbow Twins. 

A warning bell rang and I quickly found the office. A nice looking elderly woman sat at the front desk, organizing a pile of papers.

"Excuse me, I'm a transfer student...Wu Mei Li." The lady gave me a warm smile before turning to her computer.

"This is going to be quite different from Canadian high school, I believe, so if you have any questions, you can come here. I'm in charge of all transfers, so it's a lucky you found me so fast! You can just call me Mrs. Park, ok?" I nodded and waited for her to print my schedule.

First class, homeroom. Room 3-2. Third floor? Maybe?

I wandered up the stairs and went down the first hall I saw, and lo and behold, there it was. I groaned inwardly at the awkward situation of being tardy that was yet to come. I hoped my teacher was nice and understanding. I swallowed the lump in my throat and entered.

"Ah, there she is! Welcome, New Student-ssi!" I bowed and handed him my schedule. Young, friendly, teeth are too white... "Mei Li? Is that Chinese?"

"Yes, sir."

"Wow, too formal. Lee-sonsaengnim is perfectly alright! Hmm...you can sit next to either Jihyun in the back, or Sehun by the window." Great. Choices.

I looked at Sehun and he shook his head. Why was it so bad to be his friend? And Serah's friend? Not like I care. 

"What? I like the window."

"Don't say I didn't warn you." He smirked before turning his attention back to the teacher. 


The final bell rang and I cheered in my head. I made it through my first day in one piece. Unfortunately, Sehun was only in my homeroom class, and I had no idea where Serah was. Even though they were really...unique, it really hurt to hear that girl say such mean things about them. So what if they didn't look like everyone else? They were perfectly nice people and they've been nice to me, and that's all that matters.

"Yah, new kid!" Someone yanked my arm and turned me around. "I see you've made your choice. Too bad it was the wrong one. We could've been great friends, you know? Have fun hanging out with those...things."

"Ok, what the heck is your problem?" I shook her grasp off my arm and looked her in the eyes. I'm not one to confront people, but I barely knew anyone and I was already getting onto a whole new level of drama. 

"MY problem?! I don't have the problem. They do. Ugh, I'm leaving." She her heel and her silent posse of girls quickly glared at me before following suit. I rolled my eyes and continued to go where I was originally headed. I unravelled my headphones and put them in, pressing play on my phone. Kris gave me a list of popular songs in Korea, and I decided I would get acquainted with them. The album cover had five dudes standing together with sunglasses and military style clothes on, and I swear one of them wasn't even a boy, but whatever. What were they called? SHINee? I subconsciously walked to the beat of the song, Destination, I think, but I was stopped at the sight of Serah sitting under a tree...alone? Wasn't she always with Sehun?

"Serah~ Se- oh my gosh, are you ok?!" A tear escaped the corner of her eye and rolled down her cheek. She gave me a faint smile before looking around apprehensively. 

"I-it's fine...It was my fault, anyways. I think...I think I should go find my brother..." She got up and started walking away. She wasn't her usual cheerful self, and I was extremely confused at this point. "I'll see you later, ok?"

"No, I'm coming with you!"

"What? Oh no no no..."

"Of course I am; we're friends, aren't we?" And she smiled a real smile this time, once again linking an arm with mine.


A/N: Hey guys! Emily here. So uhh...yeah. I decided on this being in a high school setting; everyone's a senior pretty much. What up with the twins and our resident evil-girl? We'll find out shortly! Thanks for reading! And I'm going to develop the friendship aspect between Serah and Mei Li first, because a girl needs a girl best friend, and it would be lame if it was only Sehun. He is a lemon face, after all! Hehe. Jk, I love my Hunnie Bunny <3