The Meeting

Competition

     First day of school. For some it’s like a living hell about to begin. For others, a blessing from the heavens. And J-Hyo had great hopes for this new year at school.

     He had cried a lot when his best friend moved away to Canada. It felt lonely to be without the guy you’ve known all your life, right? That’s how J-Hyo felt for two years. Lonely. Of course he would talk to his friend several times a week, but that wasn’t enough. He was miles away from him.

     But now, though, after two years of being apart, King’s parents decided he should finish school in his home country, so they sent him back to Korea. And the two just couldn’t be happier. It was a dream for them to finally see each other again, daily. Unfortunately, the school was somewhere in the middle of Seoul, and J-Hyo lived almost on the other part of the country. With a bit more of conviction on his tears he got his parents to let him stay with King and go to school in the main city, as long as he good grades. That wasn’t a hard task, actually. J-Hyo had studied harder since King moved away so he could get a well paid job and visit King as many times as he could.

    Things couldn’t get better for them. Finally together as before, and living together by themselves. They would miss their parents, but that was something they would have to handle, since young will is a stubborn thing. 

    J-Hyo arrived at Seoul early in the morning and went straight to the flat he was about to share with his best friend, wearing a big bright smile that made random girls in the streets almost faint. He opened the door and left the stuff on his room. “King, you here?”, he called out but the reply was as silent as one could get. King’s stuff were on his own bed, so J-Hyo hurriedly walked to school. He couldn’t stop thinking about how happy he was for finally seeing his friend, his brother, once again. Two years were such a long time.

   The moment he got inside the school campus, his eyes stopped on a tall figure talking to his friend. A guy. A strangely hot guy talking to King. He felt jealousy boil inside his body, until King’s eyes locked with his as he smiled at J-Hyo and made his way to hug him. The older one snapped out and hugged King back. They looked like two kids giggling, more than happy to see each other for the first time in two years.

   “Hyung!! You look different!” King stated, taking a good look at his friend who was now wearing less make up then before.

   “Yeah, I grew up. But you look the same” J-Hyo replied as he laughed.

   “I was always mature, you know?” He joined his friend’s laughter, leaving the third guy staring behind. J-Hyo hugged King again, and made an inner victory dance for making the stranger jealous and uncomfortable.

   That guy’s gaze never left the two boys, hurt clear in his expression. He tried his hard to pretend he was ok with that, but the truth is he wasn’t. He wasn’t used to see two guys hugging like that when they were ‘just friends’. His heart felt so much pain at the moment, and J-Hyo noticed it. But King was his. His. Not that guy’s.

   “Oh, I almost forgot!” King broke their embrace as he stepped back so he wouldn’t leave the other guy apart. J-Hyo forced a smile as he saw King patting the guy’s shoulder, pulling him closer to J-Hyo. “Hyung, this is E-Den. A cool guy I met in Canada”.

   E-Den was about to bow politely, when J-Hyo shook their hands. “Nice to meet you.” The words turned out less nice than he had expected, and King couldn’t help but notice how uneasy they were with eachother.

   “Uh… E-Den, this is the guy I told you about, J-Hyo”. Oh, so he had told E-Den about him? Good, J-Hyo thought, this way E-Den would know his limitation of skinship and talk with King.

     E-Den’s eyes were still glued to J-Hyo, wondering why the younger one was being so hostile. He hadn’t done anything, had he?