Best Friends

SunHan21's Storybook

A/N: Please listen to this song while you read the entire story.

- - - - -

Minhyuk's POV:

 

After opening the house’ door, I looked at the patch of Sunflowers in front of my yard and adored how beautiful the flowers that had just bloomed were.

 

I walked to the patch and gently touched one of the petals of the Sunflower. I then said “I wish you’re here by my side to see this. Knowing you, you’d go crazy just seeing how beautiful the flowers are.” I smiled at the thought of your angelic smiling face. “But then again… If I really knew you, why do I not know the reason why you’re behaving as you are?” The smile in my face suddenly turned up-side down.

 

With every step that I take at the street where we used to go to school together, I hear your sweet voice calling my name and then the laughter that you and I made after I make a not-so-funny joke. For me, it was pleasant memories but for you… I wish it was, too…

 

Nothing in this world is permanent except for change. I should have expected that losing Sunny will be part of that change. Actually, did I really loose you? Physically, no but emotionally and mentally, yes. You’re still alive… but you suddenly stopped hanging out with me and then most of the times you’d just ignore my presence whenever I try to talk to you. If not for assignments and group projects, I’m sure that you’d totally ignore me. What did I do wrong to deserve this kind of treatment?

 

As soon as I arrived at school, my eyes search for your petite figure hoping you’d finally start to talk to me again…

 

Inside our class room, I saw you talking to someone but not just anyone… he was your special someone. It was your long time crush, Kai. I envied how you talk to him, how you look at him, how you smile towards him, and especially how you and he are getting closer and closer as each day pass by.

 

I know we’re only friends in your eyes but I can’t help feel the way I feel, especially when you stopped hanging out with me. I walked towards my seat, still looking at you and Kai. I wonder, is the reason why you’re ignoring me is because… Kai hates me?

 

During break time, you and Kai are not together which gave me a chance to talk one on one with Kai.

 

“Kai, I’ll be frank with you… do you hate me?”

 

“Dude, no but if you’ll ask me if I love you… I’m sorry but it’s also a no.”

 

I laughed at Kai’s statement but at the same time wondered… so what’s the reason why Sunny’s avoiding me?

 

Ever since you stopped hanging out with me and mostly stopped talking to me, I go home alone. Normally, I would have gone home together with you as soon as classes are dismissed. But now, I don’t go home until the school is closed or until you go home, because I always wait for you… even though you’d just ignore me.

 

As I walk back to my house, I looked at the dark starry night. I wondered… If I cry and apologize while kneeling on my feet in front of you, will the happy days come back? Or… Is it when I’m on the verge of death?

 

Days passed by and Sunny is completely ignoring me now. I feel so sad, lonely… and confused more than ever, because I still haven’t figure why my best friend is ignoring me and acting as if I’m just a no one in her life even though we were so close that people once thought that we were dating one another.

 

Oh, how I wish we really were dating each other…

 

It’s now the autumn season and my birthday’s getting closer. In my birthday, there’s only one thing I’d wish for and that is for you to talk to me again, like we used to. I won’t wish for something extravagant like you and me becoming lovers, because I’m satisfied with just being by your side.

 

Today is my birthday and I walked towards school with a smile on my face, hoping that my wish will come true.

 

 As I walk through the classroom’s door, I saw a present at the top of my chair, so I quickly went to my seat and asked all of my classmates that arrived earlier than me if they saw the person who left me the gift. Sadly, no one knew.

 

I believe that my wish came true, so I made a letter and secretly put it on Sunny’s table. In my letter, I wrote for the meeting place and time but not from who it came from, because if I wrote my name… I’m sure you won’t go no matter what... maybe even if I tell you I’ll commit suicide…

 

Am I really that despicable in your eyes?

 

After dismissal, I ran as fast as I can to the school’s garden. Since you were not there yet, I searched for a hiding spot, so you would not see that I was the one who made the letter.

 

I smiled as I hear the footsteps of someone. Without looking at who the owner was, I’m sure that it was Sunny’s footsteps.

 

When the footsteps were close to my hiding spot I jumped out from where I was hiding and saw a surprised and… guilty-looking Sunny that was about to run away.

 

Without thinking twice, I held Sunny’s hand and pulled her into my embrace. Tears fell down on my cheeks towards Sunny’s head. What did I do wrong? Why did you try to run away? Why can’t you tell me anything like you used to?

 

“I’m sorry… for whatever I’ve done wrong to you…” I said while slowly releasing Sunny from my embrace.

 

“There’s no need for you to apologize, because I’m the one at fault…” Sunny replied while looking at the ground. “For letting you be part of my life.” Sunny continued in a whispering way that I can’t hear but…

 

Someone, please, tell me that I misheard what Sunny said. How can she regret letting me be part of her life? I don’t understand! We were so happy together but why?!

 

“For letting me be part of your life?” I asked in a calm tone while wiping my tears. “I…” flashbacks of the days when Sunny and I were together laughing and smiling at my birthday suddenly appeared which made my tears fall down faster than a while ago. “I don’t understand…” 

 

Sunny slowly lifted her head up and looked at me straight in the eyes and then said “It’s because…” Sunny hesitantly continued, saying “I found out that you like me from one of our classmates. After a week or so, I kept my distance away from you, because I tried to think if I have any special feelings for you... Sadly, there isn’t. I only think of you as my best friend, not my lover. If ever you confess to me… I will never be prepared to turn you down nor am I prepared to lie to you about my feelings, so I slowly tried to distance myself away from you in order to make you forget your feelings towards me. I don’t want to hurt you, especially not on this special day of yours…”

 

“You said you don’t want to hurt me but you’ve already did before I was given the chance to confess. I know you’ve already told me your answer… But I just want to say it to you personally that… I love you.” Although I’m hurt, I somehow smiled because I finally had the chance to tell Sunny how I feel for her. “Is it ok if we can go back to the way we were? Before you knew how I feel for you…”

 

“As long as you’ll forget your feelings for me, I’m fine… because… because me and Kai are officially dating and I don’t want you... to be a hindrance in our love.”

 

Pain after pain, when will the suffering end?

 

I smiled at what Sunny said, because she’s happy that she finally had her dream come true and because I was given a second chance to be friends with her again… even though it would be hard to forget that I have fallen for Sunny…

 

“I can’t guarantee that I can forget about my feelings for you within a week or so but I promise that I will slowly erase them. As long as you’re happy, I’m happy… I promise that I will never try to interfere with you and Kai. I don’t want my best friend to get mad at me.”

 

If ever you and Kai have a fight, I will be there to be your shoulder to lean on. I won’t break my promise of forgetting my feelings for you but I will fulfill my role as your best friend.

 

Rejection hurts. Falling in love with the wrong person hurts. Even though I said that I’d be happy even if we could just be friends… it still hurts. Everyone wants to fall in love but not everyone will be given the chance to find that special someone.

 

- - - - -

To all of my subscribers and silent readers,

I hope you like this update TT^TT

Is it just me or somehow this update is similar to one of my other fanfics -____-

hmm... maybe because of the topic?

well, I love this kind of story.

Bwahahahahaha!

I'm C.R.A.Z.Y.