For You

For You

“What flavor did you get?”

“Vanilla.”

“Is it good?”

“Yeah, I guess so. I like it.”

Sunggyu peered at you as he brought the cone of frozen yogurt to his lips. The two of you continued to walk together through the amusement park, you staring at the mound of vanilla soft serve with a hint of longing while holding onto your half eaten pretzel with one hand.

“Do you want some?” he asked as he slowed his pace to a stop, holding the cone out to you because he already knew your answer.

You leaped forward, wrapping your hand lightly around Sunggyu’s as you stole a bite of ice cream. He laughed when you sighed in delight and your lips. You leaned forward for another bite and frowned when Sunggyu quickly drew the cone back.

“Hey!” you whined as he ate the ice cream and took a bite out of the waffle cone.

“What? This is mine.”

You shot him a glare and took a harsh bite out of your pretzel before walking away. Sunggyu shook his head as he watched you stomp away from him. You didn’t get very far before he fell back into step with you.

You looked up from your pretzel when you felt Sunggyu lace his fingers through yours.

“Here,” he sighed, giving you the ice cream cone, “You can have it.”

You blink a few times, your eyes flickering between the cone of slightly melted ice cream and the boy who was giving you a questioning look.

“Really?” you asked.

Sunggyu nodded and nudged the cone slightly for you to take. His lips stretched into a complacent smile when you eagerly took the cone from his hand and replaced it with your pretzel.

“Thanks,” you grinned up at him and began to eat the rest of the cold snack. 

“Why didn’t you just tell me that you wanted ice cream?” he asked as you looped your arm through his.

“I don’t know,” you shrugged, absentmindedly watching a couple of little kids play with bubbles while they waited in line for the carousel with their parents, “I just wanted a pretzel when we were at the food cart.”

“And you just suddenly wanted ice cream at the exact moment that I was about to eat mine?” Sunggyu asked with his eyebrows raised.

You peeled the strip of paper off the end the cone and popped the rest of the waffle funnel into your mouth with another shrug.

“What can I say? You make ice cream look good.”

“Ummm,” Sunggyu stared down at you, slightly taken aback by the sudden compliment, “Thank you?”

“You’re welcome,” you laughed, noticing the way that his cheeks were turning a pinkish hue. 

The two of you continued to stroll around the amusement park. There weren’t many people there, mostly small children and their parents. But what did you expect on a weekday during the park’s offseason?

You would occasionally drag Sunggyu onto a ride or two and pout when he refused to go on anything that was remotely exciting. “Not after almost losing my lunch on that spinning one,” he shook his head and you rolled your eyes.  

As you passed the bumper cars, a stand along the side of the walkway caught your eye. You made a sharp right, dragging a dazed and confused Sunggyu with you.

“Warn a guy,” he mumbled after regaining his footing.

“Aren’t these adorable?” you asked as you spun the wire rack of headbands as if you didn’t even hear his sarcastic comment.

Sunggyu sighed and shook his head. You really did have the attention span of a puppy or, if he was being generous, a seven year old.

“Yeah, sure,” he responded lightly.

You pulled one with a red bow off the rack and slipped it on.

“Am I cute?” you faced Sunggyu and made a V shape with your hands under your chin.

The two of you shared a laugh as Sunggyu patted you lightly on the head.

“The cutest,” he answered honestly.

You batted his hand away and turned back towards the rack, “Let’s find you one.”

“Oh, no you don’t have to do that,” he waved a hand with look of distaste.

“No, no,” you shook your head and looked at the array of couple headbands, “We’re going to find one for you.”

Sunggyu frowned, the bridge of his nose slightly crinkled, as he watched you pull a headband off the stand with a loud laugh.

“This one!” you announced as you stuck the band on top of his backwards, black snapback.

His expression didn’t change as he glared at you, his head adorned with a pink, polka dotted ribbon tied to resemble rabbit ears.

“You’re so cute!” you hopped in place a little as you continued to giggle, “You look like a bunny!”

“You think this is funny?” he deadpanned, “I’m a guy. Guys don’t to wear these.”

“Yeah, they do. It’s a couple headband.”

“Well, I’m not supposed to wear the pink one!” he exploded, sending you into another fit of laughter.

“Can you do aegyo for me?” you asked after your laughter subsided.

“What?” Sunggyu narrowed his eyes.

“Please?” you tugged slightly at the sleeve of his white shirt, “Just this once?”

You stared up at him with the best pair of puppy eyes you could muster and grinned when Sunggyu’s glare faltered.

“First you make me give you my ice cream and now I have to act cute for you,” he muttered to himself as you beamed.

You took a step back and waited patiently as Sunggyu closed his eyes and took a deep breath. He opened his eyes and looked at you tiredly.

“Aang…” he said quietly and halfheartedly brought his hands up to grasp air.

You exploded into laughter, clutching your stomach as Sunggyu ripped the headband off his head with utmost frustration. He watched you gasp for breath, internally debating whether he was proud of himself for being able to make you laugh or going to kiss his manliness goodbye.

“Oh, that was great,” you said, wiping tears away from your eyes.

Sunggyu pointedly look away and stared at the bumper cars with a scowl.

You bit your lip to hide more giggles from escaping your lips and took the headband from Sunggyu’s hand. You walked over to the woman sitting at the cash register attached the stand, removing the headband that was on your own head.

“We’ll take these,” you handed her the two headbands and pulled out your wallet.

“You’re actually going to buy them?” Sunggyu asked, walking up behind you.

You nodded and handed the woman a few bills, “Whenever I’m sad, you have to wear yours and do aegyo for me until I smile again. And I’ll do the same for you, okay?”

Sunggyu nodded with a small smile as the woman gave you a receipt. He took you by the hand and pulled you away from the stand after thanking the worker, the two headbands wrapped in a plastic bag swinging from your fingers.