Take Care of My Girlfriend

Take Care of My Girlfriend


"Yaah! Taeyeon-aah!"

I turned around after hearing a loud voice of a girl calling me. We were in the middle of the university hallway. I gripped my bag tightly, hoping that the girl wouldn't be the one I was scared to face.

But it turned out that it was her.

"H- Hi, Jessica" I replied in a hesitating tone.

"Going for the music room again?"

I nodded. "Mm-hm"

"You've been going to that place quite often ever since that day" Jessica's face turned serious. "Taeyeon-ah, actually I am looking for you to tell you something"

My heart started to beat faster. No, no, please don't tell me that. Please don't make what I've been scared of finally comes for real.

"You're really not with Sunny anymore, right? So.. I can date her now, right?"

As soon as she mentioned the question, my mind automatically flashed me back to the scenes of 6 months ago. It had been 6 months, 24 weeks, 180 days since I broke up with the girl whose name Jessica had just mentioned. We broke up in a proper way though, and not because of serious matters, but that just added my regrets for doing it.

No, I was lying. It was because of serious matters. Maybe not for me but for her. I was the one who initiated for the break up. At that time I started to fall in love with somebody else in the university. Her name was Tiffany. I swear that girl really had the most beautiful eye-smile ever that was unbeatable by anyone, not even Sunny. She was very loud, yet very kind, but maybe the biggest reason why I began falling for her in the first place was because we were together for most of the classes, while Sunny wasn't.

I found comfort in Tiffany's company because she was almost always beside me during classes and outside classes. She was so spoiled to me and I loved to spoil those who loved to be spoiled. Sunny was the other way around, she was much maturer and could be independent by herself. That was why I thought my feelings for Sunny kinda faded at that time.

"It's been six months so I think you two should have been comfortable with each other again now" Jessica woke me up from my flashback. Jessica had been Sunny's best friend ever since we entered university even though she studied in the different building from us. Even when Sunny and I decided to board a relationship, she stayed beside Sunny and always took care of her. When we broke up, she told me a lot about Sunny's condition that Sunny cried often because of us. She never left Sunny. And if there was one girl whom I thought could be a better girlfriend for Sunny than I was, it was only Jessica Jung.

"Yeah.." I slowly responded. "I am fine. Sunny and I don't have anything anymore, so who am I to block you from her?"

Jessica smiled at me. "I know, I just want to double check that I'm not being a er, keke. Thank you so much, Taeyeon. I'll do my best for Sunny"

I smiled back at her, forcefully. "You'll be a very good girlfriend for her"

I saw Jessica began to walk to the opposite way with a bright expression. I was about to walk away too when she called me again.

"Taeyeon?"

"Yeah?"

"If there's anything I don't understand about Sunny. I can ask you, right?"

Why should me? "Yes, of course you can"

Jessica muttered thanks and then disappeared after turning to another road between the buildings. I sighed. It's really over now. Sunny would definitely accept Jessica and they would be in a relationship soon. Jessica was going to replace me forever in Sunny's heart and I wouldn't be in Sunny's mind anymore. I should be feeling happy or at least relieved now, but instead, I felt the opposites.

After I broke up with Sunny, I went out for dates with Tiffany but it turned out that being with her wasn't as exciting as I expected it would be. The dates we went through were beautiful, but I didn't know why I felt so tired every time I went home. It was like I had to pretend in front of Tiffany every time that I was a good girlfriend, spoiling her, pouring water into her glass, holding her bag in the mall, talking properly in order not to hurt her feelings. In fact, I was not really that much of a good girlfriend like what she or I myself had expected. I was so tired of being fake and pretending all the time. So one night, after we just got back from cinema, I decided to end it with Tiffany. I had never clearly stated that we were dating, but I thought she knew too at that night, that we were about to break.

I was still good friends with Tiffany until this time. Partly because we were never really on a clear status of relationship and also because Tiffany was just a loud person and she didn't like to be awkward. But with Sunny, though, everything was different now. We avoided eye contact every time we bumped onto each other and only muttered a 'hi'.

The next morning, an earlybird text message reached my smartphone. I stirred from my sleep and looked to the screen with my sleepy eyes, and soon my eyes were not as sleepy as before.

"Taeyeon-ah! I'm sorry to disturb you so early! Just want to tell you that I hit on Sunny and she said she would give me a chance! We're still not officially dating but I will try my best! I'm confused now, does Sunny like stuffs like good morning and good night messages? I want to text her but I'm afraid she doesn't like it! Help me!"

. She texted me in the morning just to ask about this? Why didn't she find out herself? Nevertheless, I took an effort to put my fingers on the keypad.

"No prob. She likes it but she'll be okay even if you don't do it so don't worry. Good luck"

I threw my phone to the side of my pillow, trying to continue my sleep. However, I just couldn't. The fact that Sunny was with someone else annoyed me so much now. It made a very bad start for my day and I was pretty sure I would feel annoyed all the day even if I got a million dollar lottery check.

"Wtf Kim Taeyeon. You're not supposed to let this give so much effect on you" I whispered to my own heart. "Get up and move on from Sunny"

However, I couldn't. Days by days passed and I was getting even more and more annoyed that I wasn't the one beside Sunny now, but Jessica Jung. When I walked to the cafetaria and saw the two on the corner table, cuddling with each other and being so romantic, I couldn't help but to feel so lonely. Sunny used to be the one sitting next to me, abruptly eating my food without permission, taking over my bubble tea, throwing away all the beans and nuts from our food.

Wait. Did Jessica know that Sunny didn't like beans and nuts? Sunny must have told her when they were eating right? But, what if she didn't and Jessica forced her to eat it because she thought it would be good for their health?

I quickly grabbed my phone and texted Jessica quickly.

"Sica, Sunny doesn't like beans and nuts. Make sure they are not on your plates"

A few minutes later, a reply came.

"Thanks for the info, Taeng! But I have to make her learn to eat it because it's good for her health! Keke~"

I widened my eyes seeing her reply. I was a bit pissed off to imagine how Sunny would have to suffer from eating those yucky food. But, to think of it, it's not my business anymore right? Why should I care?

"Whatever, girls" I said silently and moved on from the cafetaria.

Eventually, days and weeks passed by again and it came to a day where it was raining so hard during class time. There were lots of scary lightnings and loud thunders, making me can't focus on my lessons. I kept staring out through the window. I was not scared of thunders but somehow today I felt so worried about it.

And then Sunny crossed my mind. Oh my god, yes, that was exactly the reason why I was worried!

"E- Excuse me Sir, I need to go to the restroom!" I soon walked out of the lecture room after the lecturer allowed me to go out. I ran through the aisles of the buildings, ignoring the fact that the floor was really slippery and my new sneakers were now dirty due to the muds splashing around. My heart thumped and thumped as I kept searching for where her class was.

Thanks to my good memory, I found it quite quickly. I tried to look inside the class through the window but there were like more than 40 students inside so I didn't even catch a glimpse of her. I opened my phone and tried to text Jessica.

"Sica, is Sunny in the same subject with you now?"

Fortunately, she replied fast.

"Yes she is but she's just out to the restroom minutes ago"

I then closed my phone and was about to rush to the nearest restroom when I saw the short hair girl I was looking for had stood in front of me. Even though it was a bit dark around us due to the cloudy sky, I could still see her wet eyes and puffed cheeks.

"Sunny!" I ran to her immediately.

"T- Taengoo" My heart melted when I heard she still called me with the love nickname when we were still together.

After that, I knew what to do. I pulled her into my hug. Yes, just like the old times, when she cried because of the thunders. She used to always need my hug and she still did now. "Don't cry again, I'm here"

"I couldn't concentrate at all" She sobbed. "I hate it. I wish I could move on from being afraid of thunders but I just can't"

"Ssshh.. Never mind, it's okay" I patted her back. "My hug is always here"

I could feel her head nodding. Suddenly I heard the door of her classroom creaked open and the sound of someone stepping out. I quickly let go of the hug.

"S- Sica.." I gulped when I saw Sunny's new girlfriend approaching us. I thought she would yell at me for hugging her girlfriend, but she didn't. She just checked on Sunny's condition.

"Are you okay Sunny?"

Sunny nodded weakly. She was still not okay, I could read. She just pretended.

"Let's go inside again, or you'll get sick from the wind"

With that, they walked back to their lesson without minding me anymore. I let out a worried breath for maybe this time I had crossed over the line. I was not supposed to do this. First, because I was not Sunny's girlfriend anymore and we had nothing anymore. Second, because Jessica was her girlfriend now and Jessica was supposed to be the one doing this, protecting her. I slowly came back to my class with a weak face.

Suddenly, during the next few minutes, my phone vibrated. I opened the message.

"If there's something like this next time, just tell me" Jessica wrote.

I sighed again and decided not to reply.

The next few weeks passed by without anything happening. I kept myself busy with lessons and music. I was playing my guitar when I accidentally looked at the music room's calender. It was May 12th.

Three days from that would be Sunny's birthday. I still remembered last year, I was still the one beside Sunny when she celebrated it. I smiled when I remembered how I foolishly messed up the cake because I had to run from the cake store to the university. I had to rush back and forth to the cake store just to make sure it's fixed beautifully. I came to Sunny on time right after she finished her class and opened the cake, complete with the candles, in front of her and her friends.

My smile turned upside down when I realized that Jessica would be the one doing it this year, and for the next years and years. I probably wouldn't have the chance to celebrate for Sunny anymore. All I could do maybe just texting her a happy birthday, and saying it face to face if I happened to bump onto her on the D-day.

The next day, I got a call from Jessica. Just like what I had expected, she wanted to discuss about Sunny's birthday.

"So what flavor does she like?"

"Fruit flavors"

"Does she like flowers?"

"Not really"

"Hmm, do you think she will like it if I add some flowers?"

"I'm not sure, maybe you can ask her"

Jessica chuckled on the other line. "Yah, how can you be not sure? What kind of girlfriend were you and what did you prepare for her last year?"

And that got into my nerve. I lost my patience.

"If you're not satisfied, then try to find out the answers yourself! I know I was a bad girlfriend for her! I really don't know what she likes, what she dislikes, what she's afraid of and everything! Just don't ask me anything about Sunny anymore!"

I pressed the 'end call' button and breathed in and out heavily. I was so hurt that I didn't realize I had cried. But, really, what kind of girlfriend didn't want to make an effort by herself!? She just asked everything to me and she barely did anything to understand Sunny!

I stepped back to my classroom, preparing for my next lessons. I purposefully sat on the corner seat that day because I didn't want everyone to see my gloomy face. But apparently Tiffany read my unusual expressions and slowly approached me.

"Are you having a period?" She playfully joked.

"No I'm not!"

"Then why are you crying?"

I looked to Tiffany's caring eyes and I just couldn't hold it inside anymore. Afterall, I was not that strong to keep it all by myself. I needed a comfort. Fortunately, our lecturer still hadn't arrived.

"I.. I still love her, Tiff" I sobbed. "Even though she's got a new girlfriend and I have nothing with her anymore"

"Hey.. Why are you being a crybaby?" She my back. "And you're crying because..?"

"Because I'm mad with her new girlfriend. She always asks me stuffs about Sunny. Why can't she find it out herself? What kind of girlfriend is she?"

"Well, what kind of girlfriend you are too, that you don't even dare to have her back"

"I can't.."

"Why?"

"Because I've hurt her"

"Does that mean she doesn't love you anymore?"

I thought about the question for a while. "No"

"Then win her back"

"But she.." When I was about to answer, I got a sudden logical thought. "Wait, they haven't officially dated"

"Then...?"

"Then..." I didn't dare to continue the sentence. I fell into a bigger doubt right after.

When I reached home, I thought about it over and over again. Win Sunny back? How could I win Sunny back? I had to confess to her for the second time and asked her to be my girlfriend again? But if she answered no, then our relationship would be even more and more awkward than it already was. And when should I do it?

When I was about to fall asleep because of thinking too deeply, my phone woke me up again. I almost jumped out of bed when I read the message.

"Taeyeon-ah, do you want to come to my birthday party on May 15? It would be at my house on 7 PM. I hope you can come. See you"

From: Sunny

Did she just invite me to her birthday party? Her birthday celebration? I got to celebrate Sunny's birhtday party again with her?

But..

Why did she invite me? What was I for her now that she invited me? She invited me as a friend? As a best friend? As a... What should I wear for the party? If I wore something too fancy, she'd think I was still into her? If I wore nothing special, would she think I totally didn't care about her anymore?

Should I even come in the first place?

I fell into a deep sleep and I didn't make any decision even until the D-day. Not even until 2 hours before the party started. But I was so thankful that someone called me and gave me courage to do so.

"Are you still at home?" Tiffany asked on the other line.

"Yes.."

"Don't tell me you're still not prepared!"

"I- I am prepared! I just need to finish with my make-up and then I'm ready"

"Not that kind of prepared, Taeyeon" Her tones changed serious. "I mean, I hope you're prepared for her. See you at the party"

I took a deep breath. This time I should make a final decision. This was nothing to lose. I would come home from the party with Sunny back in my arms or with losing her forever. I took a taxi to Sunny's house. I still memorized the ways to her house very well even though I hadn't visited again for more than a half year.

When I arrived at the party, Tiffany was waiting for me at the front gate.

"Finally" She chuckled, but smiled after that. "C'mon, let's get your girlfriend back"

She took my arms and pulled me inside. Sunny's house was already quite full of guests. Most of the girls wore semi-formal clothes and I was glad that my blue, sleeveless short gown didn't stand out too much, even though I secretly wished that my appearance wouldn't disappoint Sunny tonight...

A few minutes later, all the guests and I myself were stunned by Sunny's presence in the room. She was wearing a pretty white, sleeveless, short gown. I just noticed that somehow it looked similar to mine, just in different color. When I was still stunned with her beauty, someone appeared behind her and it destroyed my mood.

"Let's get to your birthday cake, honey" I heard Jessica whispered to her.

We all gathered in the center of the room as Jessica took a box filled with a tall cake. I somehow felt disappointed that my cake last year was not as luxurious as this one. This one, besides tall, had a pretty pink color and delicious chocolates around it. On the top, there were slices of fruits that Sunny liked and a cute small doll that looked exactly like Sunny.

Jessica really prepared everything for her. I wish I had still been the one...

Slowly but loudly, all the guests sang happy birthday for Sunny. The candles on the cake were now lightened, ready to be blown. After the song finished, Jessica brought Sunny closer to the candles.

"Now, time for your wishes!"

Sunny took some baby steps and then closed her eyes to pray. She then brought her own face closer to the candles and blew all the fire lits. We clapped our hands together.

"Sunny-ah" Jessica suddenly said. "I might not know all of your wishes, but I certainly know one of them. And it's going to be fulfilled tonight"

Sunny tilted her head. "What do you mean, Sica?"

"I'm sure my present will be the best present for you"

Sunny's eyes looked really confused. "I still don't get it"

Before we all could discuss anything about Jessica's mysterious words, Jessica suddenly walked to the direction where Tiffany and I stood. She undoubtfully took my hands and pulled me back to where Sunny was. I was so stunned that I couldn't say anything. My mouth slightly hung open.

"Lee Sunny, this is my birthday present for you. I'll have Kim Taeyeon to take care of you from now on"

I almost fainted on the spot. "W- Wait! What do you mean, Jessica?"

"We'll talk about it later, Kim Taeyeon" Jessica smirked. "Just go get her now"

"I.." I turned to look at Sunny and she was as stunned as me. I gripped my hands tighter. "I still love you, Sunny"

I leaned closer and kissed her on her lips. I could hear the crowd cheering for us. Sunny didn't struggle, nor even a flinch a bit. She just stood there, stunned, as she slowly replied my kissed. I could feel it through the way she pushed her lips tighet onto mine.

"I still love you, too" Sunny whispered as we parted our lips.

A second later, I saw Tiffany was already behind us, she was clapping her hands.

"Congratulations"

I smiled. The crowd slowly went back to their chit-chat and food. I turned here and there to look for Jessica but I couldn't find her. I looked at Sunny again.

"I know you want to talk to her. Go find her, I'll talk to the other guests"

I nodded understandingly to my girlfriend and then ran outside. I soon found Jessica sitting by herself on one of the swings beside Sunny's swimming pool. I took the other swing, making the creaking sound become the only sound in the midst of our silence.

"You know.." I took the courage to start. "You should be her girlfriend, you're much better than me"

Jessica just smirked. "But being a better girlfriend doesn't mean I love her more than you do"

"But I think you do"

"Maybe, but that doesn't make her love me as much as she loves you too" I could find a relieved expression on her face. "I found it out when you hugged her on the thunderstorm rainy day. I realized only you could run out of class like that and find her that fast in a couple of minutes. Only you could hug her like that"

"That, that was just coincidence"

Jessica laughed a bit. "And Sunny told me that she never likes me forcing her eating beans and nuts. She said you never forced her to. At that time I realized I could never be the you that she wants. And the day when you yelled at me when I called you to ask about Sunny's birthday, honestly, it only sounded to me that you still want her very much"

I didn't know what to say, I just blushed. "I'm sorry I wasn't brave enough to say so"

I could sense Jessica looking at me and slowly walking to my swing. She put her hands on my shoulder.

"If you're sorry to me, then promise me to never step back from her ever again. Take care of my girlfriend, will ya?"

I playfully glared at her. "Yes, Sica-nim. I'll take care of your girlfriend"

She gave me another playful smile before walking back to where the party was still going on. We parted ways, but not with a heavy heart anymore. I stood up and tidied up my gown, making sure I'm prepared to give my best for my girlfriend for the rest of my life.