Always By Your Side

He Who Keeps His Promise

It was very quiet in Sungmin’s small house that night. Only the faint sounds from the television in the living room filled the ambience. The room itself was lit by a dim light coming from the TV. Sungmin was watching a DVD with Kyuhyun, his boyfriend. He was lying on his side on the couch, head resting on Kyuhyun’s lap. Kyuhyun had his left arm on Sungmin’s head, and occasionally he would Sungmin’s hair lovingly. Sungmin really liked it when Kyuhyun did that. When Kyuhyun stopped his action, Sungmin formed a little pout on his face. He turned and lied on his back, looking at Kyuhyun upright.
 
“Why did you stop?” he said in protest. Kyuhyun, who was concentrating on watching the movie, turned his gaze from the screen and looked at Sungmin.
 
“Huh?” a big question mark could be seen on his face.
 
“Never mind,” Sungmin sighed. He got up and sat next to Kyuhyun, head resting on Kyuhyun’s shoulder and arm circling around Kyuhyun’s.
 
“Kyuhyun, why don’t we watch another movie?” he asked while pointing to the TV.
 
“Why? You don’t like it?” Kyuhyun asked back, moving his head to rest on Sungmin’s.
 
“It’s too depressing. I feel pity for the female character. Her boyfriend got into an accident and he’s in a coma but she knows nothing. She thinks that her boyfriend left her,” Kyuhyun chuckled a little.
 
“Sungmin, it’s just a movie. Don’t take it too seriously.” He petted Sungmin’s head using his free hand.
 
“But still, I feel like crying when I watch it. What if that situation happened to me? I can’t imagine it. I don’t want to lose you.” He tightened his hold on Kyuhyun.
 
“Nah ah~ it won’t happen, Min. Nothing can separate us,” he kissed Sungmin’s head.

 
“Min-ah,” called Kyuhyun after silence enveloped them for a moment.
 
“Yes, Kyu?”
 
“What if… I only have three months left to live?” Sungmin lifted his head from Kyuhyun’s shoulder, and turned his head to stare at Kyuhyun’s face, “Why would you suddenly ask that?” Kyuhyun shrugged. “Nothing. Just a random question,” he pulled Sungmin up a bit to sit on his lap. He placed Sungmin’s head on his chest. Sungmin gave a soft peck to Kyuhyun’s Adam apple before he said, “If that really happened, I’ll always be by your side till the end of the time. Nothing can separate us, not even death.” Kyuhyun traced Sungmin’s jaw line using his finger, before tilting Sungmin’s chin to bring his face closer. They looked into each other eyes, as if they were talking through it.
 
“I love you so much, Min-ah.”
 
“I love you too, Kyuhyun-ah.”
 
They sealed it with a kiss, tender at first but getting more passionate later on. Sungmin circled his arm around Kyuhyun’s neck while Kyuhyun’s hand was placed on Sungmin’s hip. He guided the latter to straddling on his lap, Sungmin’s knees on either side of his body. Kyuhyun moved his hand to the back of Sungmin’s head, fingers buried in Sungmin’s silky hair. The kiss got deeper and their bodies molded perfectly together. Kyuhyun nipped Sungmin’s lower lip, asking permission to enter his tongue into Sungmin’s mouth. Sungmin gave in willingly, Kyuhyun’s tongue when it entered his cavern. They fought for dominance, but no one seemed to surrender. Not until they pulled away for the need of oxygen, a string of saliva connected their mouths. Kyuhyun pushed Sungmin gently using his body, so Sungmin could lie on the couch. Sungmin pulled Kyuhyun along in the process, arm still around Kyuhyun’s neck. Their lips met again for a hot open mouthed kiss. Kyuhyun used his tongue to explore Sungmin’s warm territory. His hand travelled under Sungmin’s shirt. Sungmin moaned in pleasure, unsure whether it was because of Kyuhyun’s expert tongue in his mouth or Kyuhyun’s slender finger’s touches on his skin, or the combination between those two. Well, the last option seemed to be more accurate.
 
Kyuhyun stopped his actions all of a sudden. He pulled away completely from Sungmin and groaned, hands on both of his temples. Sungmin was taken aback and worries suddenly filled his mind.
 
“Kyuhyun, are you okay?” he sat up, confused as to what to do at that moment. But Kyuhyun didn’t give him any response, he only kept groaning and it made Sungmin wince. Next thing he knew he was in the kitchen, making warm tea for Kyuhyun and hoped it could relieve his pain a bit.
 
“Kyuhyun, please drink this,” he served the tea to Kyuhyun. He helped Kyuhyun by holding the cup while Kyuhyun drank the liquid. He drank it, finishing half the cup in one go.
 
“Feeling better?” Sungmin asked while placing the cup onto the table in front of him.
 
“I guess. Thanks Min,” Kyuhyun smiled.
 
“Kyu, don’t you think we need to go see a doctor? You keep having headaches from time to time. I’m afraid something’s wrong with your health,” Sungmin said in full concern.
 
“Don’t worry, Min-ah. It’s nothing serious. It will be better eventually. All I need is a proper sleep, so let us sleep now, kay?” Kyuhyun stood up and stretched his hand to Sungmin. Sungmin sighed before taking Kyuhyun’s hand, and then he was being dragged to their bedroom.
 


The next morning, Sungmin woke up to the smell of toasted bread. He got up from his bed and walked toward the kitchen. He found Kyuhyun taking the bread out from the toaster and placing it on a plate. Sungmin came closer and hugged him from behind, resting his head on Kyuhyun’s shoulder.
 
“You made breakfast? Hmm … are you really the Kyuhyun I know?” Sungmin’s voice sounded hoarse and he yawned after that, sleepiness still clear in his face.
 
“Good morning too, baby. No, I’m not the Kyuhyun you know. I’m an angel sent from heaven,” he grinned and kissed Sungmin on the head. Sungmin chuckled, “I miss my evil Kyuhyun already”. Kyuhyun turned Sungmin around and pulled him to sit on the dining table, “You love me more when I become a bad guy, don’t you,” he said in a husky voice in Sungmin’s ear. Sungmin pulled Kyuhyun closer using his legs. “I love you just the way you are,” he whispered, and showered Kyuhyun’s face with feather light kisses.
 
“So affectionate in the morning,” Kyuhyun chuckled. He gave a peck to Sungmin’s lips before he pulled Sungmin off of the table, “Let’s breakfast, shall we?” Sungmin nodded and took a seat while Kyuhyun served the meal for both of them. Their breakfast took a longer time than it should be because they were busy doing something else aside from eating. When they were done, Sungmin washed all the dishes while Kyuhyun cleaned the table. Sungmin stopped his work when Kyuhyun suddenly ran to the bathroom, hand covering his mouth.
 
“Kyuhyun?” he dropped the plate he had in his grip to the sink, and quickly washed his hand and went to the bathroom. Kyuhyun was bending down above the toilet bowl, throwing up all his guts out. Sungmin massaged the back of Kyuhyun’s neck to ease him as he threw up. Kyuhyun flushed the toilet when he was done, and then stood up and washed his face. Sungmin handed him a towel to dry his wet face. Then, he guided him out of the bathroom toward the living room. Sungmin sat Kyuhyun down on the couch. “Kyu, this is not good. I’m going to make an appointment with a doctor tomorrow.” Sungmin got up to reach the phone but Kyuhyun tugged on his hand and held him back, “I’m alright, Sungmin. I just ate a little too much earlier. That’s why I puked. Don’t worry”.
 
“But, Kyu~”
 
“No buts, honey. Don’t worry too much about me. I don’t want you to be stressed out because of it. You may get sick later,” he pinched Sungmin’s nose which made Sungmin frown.
 
“Okay, if you say so”.

***

 
Next week when he just reached home after work, he found Kyuhyun sitting in the living room with his luggage on the floor. Sungmin scrunched his brows, “Kyu, where are you going?” Kyuhyun didn’t look at him, instead looking at the television in front of him. “I’m going to China,” he answered flatly.
 
“Oh, you’re having a business trip to China? For how long? Why so sudden?” Sungmin pulled his shoes off and stepped into the living room. To his surprise, Kyuhyun immediately got up from the couch just when he sat down next to him. Sungmin began to feel strange.
 
“I won’t come back, Sungmin. I’m moving to China. I’m not planning to come back here,” said Kyuhyun, his face was somewhat expressionless.
 
“Wha-what are you talking about, Kyu?” confusion was written vividly on Sungmin’s baby face, “Look, I don’t mind if I have to leave Korea and move to China with you, but give me time to arrange the documents first.”
 
“I’m not going to take you. I’m leaving alone. Besides, you can’t speak Chinese and it’ll be bothersome for me to teach you from the start,” Sungmin felt his jaw drop to the floor.
 
“Are you going to leave me alone? No, Kyuhyun! You can’t do this! Ho-how can I live without you? No, Kyuhyun! Don’t leave, please! I-I-I’ll do whatever you want, just… just don’t leave me, please,” tears were beginning to form on the edge of his eyes. Kyuhyun sighed and closed his eyes, “You’re a grown man, Sungmin. You can take care of yourself. Don’t be such a drama queen. Of course you can live without me.”
 
“Kyu, are you … are you breaking up with me?” he couldn’t hold the tears anymore, it began to fall and dampened his cheeks. Kyuhyun took a deep breath before he looked at Sungmin for the first time at that moment, “Yes, Sungmin. I’m breaking up with you. You and I are over now. You got it?” It seemed like thunder on a sunny day. He felt his heart stop beating for a moment. He felt numb, his brain system stopped working. Kyuhyun chose that moment to gather his luggage and walk towards the door. He stopped in his track and said, “Promise me one thing. Do not try to find me, please. Good bye, Sungmin-ah.” When he closed the door, Sungmin just came back to his senses. He his heels and ran after Kyuhyun.
 
“Kyuhyun, wait!” he screamed in his run. Kyuhyun ignored it and got inside the cab which had been waiting for him.
 
“Kyuhyun! Kyuhyuuuuuun!” Sungmin ran after the cab while continuing to scream Kyuhyun’s name. His vision became blurry due to the tears. The cab kept moving further and further away, until it slowly disappeared from his view.
 
“Kyuhyuuuuuuuun!!!” Sungmin screamed between his sobs. He failed to catch the cab and tripped over his own feet. He fell to the ground, and kept crying his heart out. The clear sky was suddenly covered by dark clouds. As if the universe could feel his sadness, the rain fell and soaked the earth. He cried in the rain. He felt lost. The pain in his heart was too overwhelming for him to handle. How he wished all of this was just a nightmare, the worst nightmare in his life. But it wasn’t. This was real. What just happened to him was real.
 
Suddenly he had no motive to live anymore. He didn’t have anyone else in his life. The only one he had, just left him like that. He felt alone and he hated it. One by one, people were leaving him. Their parents left him when he was 8 in a deadly accident. Since then, he lived with his uncle, but he died 6 years later due to his illness. He started to live on his own because he had no other family nor relative. Fortunately, he accepted a scholarship in high school, and lived in the dormitories along his high school period. He had a flawless grade record even until he graduated, thus, he continued to accept the scholarship and continued his academics to one of the best universities in South Korea. It didn’t take long for him to finish his degree. He successfully got a job almost immediately after his graduation. And then he met Kyuhyun, the one that changed his life.
 
Kyuhyun brought the color to his gray-colored life. They started dating not long after they met, as if they were destined to be together. With Kyuhyun, he felt complete. If his life were a puzzle, then Kyuhyun was the missing piece of it. Without it, the puzzle couldn’t be perfect. Without Kyuhyun, his life couldn’t be perfect. He felt empty, missed. What was the meaning of life when you have to live alone without your loved one by your side? It was meaningless… useless… worthless.
 
Sungmin tried to regain his composure. He had stopped crying a while ago. His mind was still fuzzy, his vision was empty. The sun brushed away the dark clouds from the sky. Its bright light felt like a stab to his ribs. He got up slowly and walked back home. His small house suddenly felt so large and empty. Kyuhyun’s scent still lingered in his living room. He took a deep breath and filled his lungs with the scent as much as he could, like it could fill the emptiness in his heart. He sat up on the couch, fingers travelling on the soft fabric. He lied down and smelled the familiar scent on it. Then he got up and walked toward his bedroom. He lied down on his bed and the pillow still smelled like Kyuhyun. He got up again and entered the bathroom, and it smelled just like Kyuhyun’s soap scent. Everything in his house just smelled like Kyuhyun. Without him knowing, his tears started to stream down his cheeks again. He needed Kyuhyun right now. It felt hard without Kyuhyun by his side. He could barely breathe. The air felt too thick and it stuck to his trachea. He cried till he ran out of tears. He felt tired of crying after awhile and soon fell asleep.

***

 
It’s been two weeks since Kyuhyun had left him and Sungmin’s life felt like living hell. Sometimes when he woke up in the morning, he would call Kyuhyun’s name several times. A moment later he would realize that Kyuhyun had gone. When he watched a funny show on television, he would laugh and say, “Kyu, isn’t it funny?” Just when he turned his head and he saw no one was there, he then realized that Kyuhyun wasn't there. Sometimes he would fall asleep on the couch and when he woke up he would complain, “Kyuhyun, why didn’t you move me to bed?” No one answered his question and reality came back to hit him hard in the face. Kyuhyun had left him alone. Kyuhyun wasn’t there for him anymore. Every night he found himself crying and calling Kyuhyun’s name till drowsiness took him over. He was drowned in a deep sorrow.
 

One day, he heard a knock on his door. ‘Could it be Kyuhyun?’ he asked himself. He felt hope in his heart and practically flew to open the door.
 
“Kyuhyun, is that you?” he asked while pulling the door open. But what he saw wasn’t what he wanted it to be. All his hope was shattered on the floor.
 
“Who are you?” he asked the stranger who stood in front of his house.
 
“Lee Sungmin-ssi? I’m Kim Kibum, Cho Kyuhyun’s friend,” Sungmin’s heart skipped a beat when he heard Kyuhyun’s name being spoken.
 
“Ah~ But, Kyuhyun is not here anymore,” said Sungmin with a sad tone. Kibum gave him a smile as if he knew something about Kyuhyun, “Actually, I’m here to meet you and I know where Kyuhyun is”. Once again, Sungmin felt like there was hope for him.
 
“Really? Where is he now? Is he okay? Could you take me to meet with him?” Sungmin asked enthusiastically. Kibum looked contemplate, hesitating whether to spill the truth or not, “Could we talk inside please?” asked Kibum. Sungmin then let Kibum in and guided him toward his living room.

***

 
The room was painted in white. There was a bed, a small table, a small drawer and some medical equipment decorating the room. The sound from an electrocardiograph filled the entire room. It was synchronized with the heart rate monitor that was located beside the bed. There was also an oxygen tube next to it. The fluid infusion dripped drop by drop periodically through the catheter. The strong smell of disinfectant burned his nose, but Sungmin didn’t give a damn about it. His mind was already preoccupied with the man who was lying on the bed in front of him. Only the electrocardiograph informed that he was still alive, his heart still beating in the same rhythm.
 
Kyuhyun is in a coma for a week now. He is suffering from Aneurysm. Years ago, he was involved in an accident and had head trauma. It seemed like the main cause of his illness. Two weeks ago he came to my house and said he will stay for awhile. I couldn’t say no because he’s been my best friend since middle school. But then after several days of his stay, I figured out something was wrong with him. All of a sudden he would get a major headache; he tried to hide it from me but he couldn’t trick me. Sometimes he would vomit and after that he would just feel sleepy and sleep. When he drove my car, he almost hit the car in front of us. He said he had bad eyesight but I knew very well that he already wore contact lenses. I suggested him to go the doctor but he kept saying that he was okay. Just a week ago, he fell from the stairs, and until now he still hasn’t woken up. The doctor said there was bleeding from the blood vessels in his brain. He had undergone a series of surgeries. For now, only God knows when he will wake up
 
Sungmin recalled Kibum's words in his mind. He met Kyuhyun again, at last, but not like what he had expected. He touched Kyuhyun’s face using the tip of his finger. It felt cold and it looked so pale. He brought Kyuhyun’s hand to his face and kissed it. It smelled different. Everything looked different and he hated it.
 
“Kyuhyun, do you hear me?” he caressed Kyuhyun’s cheek with the back oh his finger, “I’m here now, Kyu. I’ll keep my promise to always be by your side until … forever, Kyuhyun. Nothing can separate us”.
 

Day by day Sungmin would come and accompany Kyuhyun. Sometimes he would sleep over at the hospital. Sometimes Kibum would replace him and tell him to go home and take a proper rest, but Sungmin would say that he didn’t need rest and was completely fine. But then Kibum showed him a mirror and he was shocked when he saw the dark circles under his eyes. Then he went home and came back again later. He didn’t want to be away from Kyuhyun for too long. Even though Kyuhyun still hasn’t shown any progression, Sungmin didn’t want to give up his hope.
 

One night when he was finished reading a story for Kyuhyun, he yawned and stretched his arms. He kissed Kyuhyun good night on his forehead. He held Kyuhyun’s hand and intertwined their fingers together. He moved his chair closer to Kyuhyun’s bed and placed his head on the edge of Kyuhyun’s bed. Just when he was ready to close his eyes, he felt something move on his hand. He then opened his eyes and looked at his hand. Kyuhyun’s fingers were moving and he shook Kyuhyun’s shoulder lightly.
 
“Kyuhyun? Are you awake? Kyuhyun, can you hear me? Kyuhyun, open your eyes, please” then he saw Kyuhyun’s eyelids slowly open.
 
“Min-ah?” Kyuhyun voice sounded weak.
 
“Yes Kyuhyun, it’s me, your Min-ah,” Sungmin smiled and his hold on Kyuhyun tightened.
 
“I’m sorry, Min-ah,” It seemed like it took a lot of energy for Kyuhyun to speak. Sungmin put his index finger in front of Kyuhyun’s lips, “Ssssshhhhhh … you didn’t do anything wrong. Don’t talk too much. Your condition is still weak now. He brought Kyuhyun’s hand and placed it on his face. Kyuhyun gave him a weak smile.

“I love you, Min-ah,” it was the last words he could say before he closed his eyes again. Sungmin began to panic. The smile on his face faded away too quickly. He shook Kyuhyun’s shoulder several times with more strength.
 
“Kyuhyun, wake up! Kyu, don't sleep again! Kyuhyun please, open your eyes! Kyuhyun! Kyuhyun!” Sungmin pressed the emergency button on the wall and not long after that the nurse came in with the doctor. The nurse told him to wait outside while the doctor examined Kyuhyun’s condition. But Sungmin declined it and he kept screaming Kyuhyun’s name in his crying. The nurse had to drag him out of the room. Sungmin struggled and wanted to go back to the room. Fortunately, Kibum came at that moment; he took Sungmin over from the nurse and held him tightly, trying to comfort him. Sungmin kept trying to break free from Kibum but Kibum was stronger than him. Eventually Sungmin started to calm down. He kept mumbling Kyuhyun’s name over and over again, until he felt exhausted and lost consciousness.

***

 
He was the only one who hadn’t left from there. His lover’s name was engraved on the gravestone. His lover’s body was buried beneath the grave. He didn’t want to leave yet. He had a better plan in mind.
 
“Kyuhyun-ah, you left me again,” he said while caressing the gravestone, “You said you loved me but then you left me”.
 
“You’re mean, Kyuhyun-ah! I haven’t even had time to say ‘I love you, too’ to you. But you already left me to other dimension”.
 
“You don’t belong in this world anymore. And I don’t want to live in this world. I don’t see the point to continue living. Life is hard, Kyuhyun-ah. Death seems peaceful. Besides, I’ve promised you to stay by your side forever right? I’ll fulfill my promise to you.”
 
He took a small bottle from his pocket. He dropped all of its content on his palm and brought it to his mouth. He took it in one gulp. Then he grabbed the small box from his other pocket. Kibum gave it to him the day Kyuhyun died. There was a ring in it and he took it before he wore it on his ring finger.
 
I found it in Kyuhyun’s stuff along with his diary. He planned to propose to you but then he figured out his disease and knew he didn’t have much time left. He lied to you that he was moving to China, and tried to make you hate him so that you could forget about him. He thought that if he left and you hated him, you would forget about him and wouldn’t feel hurt. He warned me that if something happened to him, I won’t tell it to you. But then he slipped into coma and I thought he would wake up if you were there for him’
 
He took a small note that was attached inside the box. That was Kyuhyun’s hand writing: “Will you marry me?”
 
“Yes, I do, Kyuhyun. I’ll be your most gorgeous groom. Wait for me, Kyu. We’re going to have our wedding in heaven.”
 
The first snow on that winter season was starting to fall to the earth. The temperature dropped drastically and touched under zero degrees Celsius. Yet, Sungmin felt warm inside his heart, despite his lack of a proper outfit. He felt drowsiness take over him. He yawned and closed his eyes. He laid his head on the gravestone while his legs were folded on the ground. He slept peacefully.

 
On the next day, people found him dead due to the over dosage of sleeping pills and hypothermia. He was buried next to his lover. Until the end, he kept hold of his promise, to stay by his lover’s side forever.

***