Encounter

Love Is Love

Junior year. Another boring school year with boring subjects and boring students. I was my usual self, sitting alone at my desk. Not thinking about anything in the world. What was there to think about? The world isn't much of a place nowadays. It's just filled with boring people with boring humor and boring personalities. Nothing interests me in this world, everything is just, boring.

I spend my life doing nothing. What is anything that's worth doing? Studies are just so that you can get a better future. What is considered a "good future"? Society wants us to think that a good future is being successful and have a lot of money, like a businessman, becoming well known to the public. Where on the other side, a painter is considered "average" and hidden to society since it isn't as noticed as high class fashion designers or famous stars or stuff like that. In my opinion, doing what you love and achieving it is already the most successful you can ever get to be. But then again society always wins.

"Hey! Are you new? What's your name?" Says a person I see in a distance to, a new student, it seems. The other replied with a greeting and introduced himself.

Friends. Something someone can easily get, yet just as easily lose. You hang out with each other, you're friends. But once you make a mistake and piss off the other so bad, you're enemies. Just like that. I don't shun myself from everyone, I have a couple of people whom I hang out with, but pissing people off with my lack of communicating is my speciality. Therefore it's hard for me to make friends. Iit's also hard to find someone who you can fully trust, so I choose to trust no one. It's no big deal for me anyways.

I turned to look out the window and see a guy and a girl hugging as they haven't seen each other for a couple of days. I sighed and looked elsewhere.

Relationships are also not too important for me. Affection towards the other are just feelings that you have. Sometimes people really feel it towards a person, and sometimes that person feels the same way back. But then again people lie, which is why most breakups happen. Then you get hurt, and feel like for a really long time. Now why would I want that? Some people don't take it as seriously as just date around for fun, or for the sake of having a girlfriend/boyfriend or to fill their lonliness. Some even just to screw around. I'm not bragging but sometimes girls even come to me as a target to hook up. I don't even know why. They say I seem "mysterious" or something like that, when in reality, everything just bores me. I don't accept them though, I don't like that they only take something that should be so serious so lightly. A lot of people aren't truthful in this world. I'm afraid far too many.

 

Bell rings. School starts. Lessons go on. People start conversing. Same old routine every damn day.

Sixth period. Lunch.

 

"Hi!" said a voice I''m not familiar with. I looked up from my lunch that I was eating alone in the cafeteria. A guy, a boy actually. Probably a freshman from the looks of it. Really tall, really white, and baby faced too. I just stared at him, waiting for him to start talking again. "Can I sit here?" He gestured to the seat across from mine. I had no reason to refuse, so I let him.

"Why are you alone, hyung?" He asked after a moment.

"Cause I choose to. And I like to be." I replied flatly.

"What good is it to be alone? Don't you feel lonely?" He asked again.

"I'm used to it. It became my comfort zone." I told him. He became quiet afterwards, like how every other person reacts.

After a while of awkward eating silence he decided to speak again, asking me what was up.

"Nothing really." I replied, barely looking up from my plate  "What's there to go on anyways?" I sighed.

"A lot can go on, hyung. A person might die, another may be just born, one could be happiest of happy, another could be saddest of sad, one could be bungee jumping from the top of a brigde in the middle of summer, another could be skiing down a mountain in the early depths of winter. So yeah, a lot can happen, hyung." He replied, which made me raise an eyebrow at him.

I was of course, surprised by his answer. I expected an "Oh" or an "Ok" then a look of boredom or dissapointment cause I didn't speak much, I even expected him to leave, like others have done far too many times. But then I get this kind of answer, which is actually really something.

"Yeah but in my life, nothing like that goes on." I told him, maintaining my cold aura I always gave off to people. I thought this would make him be quiet, since it's basically me screaming out that I want to shun myself from everyone.

"No, a lot can go on in your life if you want it to everything in life is just how you choose it to be, hyung. If you choose your life to be exciting, then every little thing that happens to you will be like an adventure. If you choose to live really dully, then, well, here we are." He replied. I was taken aback by this. I just got told off by a-

"What grade are you in again?"

"Sophmore."

by a sophmore. Someone basically a year younger than me. And he's telling me my life is dull and that I should live it to the fullest. I don't even know this kid! I've never seen him before. A kid I never met suddenly comes up to me and gives me a lecture about life. This is how dull I've become.

"Well, sophmore, I choose to live the way I live okay? So let me be." I said to him. Which made him huff out like an annoyed little kid.

"But hyung, why would you want your life to be boring? Why don't you want any fun stuff to happen? Like amusement parks, carnivals, movies, concerts, don't you want to go to those events?" He protested.

"No. I'm fine with how I am okay? So please be quiet." I insisted.

"But-"

"No."

"Hyu-"

"No."

Then he huffed out like an annoyed little kid. He really was just still a kid, even though he's in his second year of high school. A kid who gives advices on how to live life, it seems. He was cute. Like that of a korean actor or k-pop idol. I bet a lot of girls squirm around him. 

"Junhong-ah, what are you doing with that scary hyung!" said a girl from my grade who passed by us. I remembered her to be one of the girls who had asked me out-to which I declined-.I thought so. Even elder graders know and like him. I bet he's really popular. And I bet now he would agree with that girl in a cute way then finally leave me alone back to my peace and quiet.

"He's not scary noona, he's actually pretty cool." he answered. I stared at him, who was staring at her, who was staring at him. So I changed to stare at her. She stood there surprised for a split second before saying, "Oh really? Then enjoy your lunch Junhong-ah~." she then left us to be. 

I didn't know he was gonna say that. I just thought he was about to leave in a cute manner that he would do. But instead, he told her off to leave us alone and defended me by saying I'm cool, while all I did to him was deny, refuse, I felt a wave of guilt for a split second, then let my ego get the best of me as usual and went back to my no-care-about-anything attitude. I stared at him as he watched the girl go, then redirected my gaze elsewhere when he was about to turn back. 

"Sorry about that hyung." He said.

"Nah, I got used to it." I replied, stabbing my food with a fork then bringing it to my mouth.

"I thought you were popular with the girls. You look like someone who is. Are you?" He said while his big eyes looking at me in curiosity.

"I'm okay, I guess." I told him.

"I knew it."

"But I never accept them though."

"Waaee?!" He asked in shock.

"I told you, I'm used to being alone. And people just take those things so lightly and they toy around with people's hearts. So why be them and just fake everything to them too?" I responded, shrugging at him.

He let out a huge sigh. "Hyung, just because a lot of people do a lot of stupid things, doesn't mean every single person is stupid."

I shrugged. "Well, are you seeing anyone?" He shook his head no. "I can see you're pretty popular too but you're not seeing anyone either." I pointed out and continued eating my food. Hoping that he's shut up.

"Hyuuuung, it's not like that with me. They're just like that cause I'm cute. Not anything more." He corrected.

"Yeah and they just like me cause I'm 'cool' to them. So in a way, we're basically the same." I said I chewed my lunch.

He stayed quiet after that. He was finally quiet. I thought I was finally at peace. Five minutes. Ten. Sitting in awkward silence eating moment and I let it be because I was comfortable like this. I'm always used to being alone and quiet.

Junhong then stood up after he finished his lunch and I was about to watch him turn his back on me and walk away, never to speak to me again because I'm a 'scary hyung' who enjoys being alone. But all of a sudden he stared at me with a look as if he's waiting for me to do the same.

"What?" I asked him not knowing what he's intending.

"Well, come on hyung." He replied.

"Excuse me?"

"Yeah, let's go outside or something to play football or something." He said so casually.

I looked at him in disbelief. Who does this kid think he is? He came up to me, lectured me about life, stood up for me when someone called me scary, and now he wants to play football with me?! Unbelievable. And I was just having normal everyday lunch without a care in the world.

"How troublesome." I sighed under my breath, but then stood up to follow him. All he did was giggle and smile. How cute.

 

Outside. Sun. People. 

Oh the terror.

I dragged myself to the soccer field with Junhong as he carried the ball he borrowed from the school with him. I was actually ok at football. I used to play it during middle school. It was my favorite sport. But I still hated interacting with people so I never went into any teams or whatever. I just played when I had to at school, or played by myself at home.

So I played with Junhong this afternoon. He kicked the ball, I kicked the ball, stuff like that. I was never interested in playing with others, but it's different with Junhong. Somehow, I found it fun. He always broke down screaming, "NOOOOO!" whenever I scored a goal and he always does a little stupid dance of victory whenever he scored to my goal. I just rolled his eyes at him and sighed at everything. Even so I couldn't deny that it he was funny, so I found myself chuckle at one point. Unnoticed by him, of course.

He eventually got bored since it was, well, a two player football game. We were the offense, defense, and goalie. No wonder everything was tiring and got boring quickly. But surprisingly again, he didn't quit. Instead he called his friends that were outside too over to play with us. I gave him a look that told him that I really didn't want to interact with so many people. But he just smiled and said, "Don't worry hyung, it's gonna be fun."

 

And he was right.