Watching the Stars Fall

Watching the Stars Fall

          The couple layed down on the grass and stared at the sky. The stars were out that night, and they held hands as they talked. There were little giggles and soft whispers. It had been a while since they went out and did this. Myungsoo and Sungyeol were never a couple that went out very often. They did when they first started going out of course, but as time passed by, they found that they liked each other’s company best when they were alone a home.

          That night was a lucky night for them. They were actually alone at the park that night. No other couple was out there watching the stars like they were, and there weren’t any teenagers there just hanging out and making noise.

          It was just the two of them and the stars.

***

          “Myungsoo, what do you think our destiny is?” Sungyeol asked.

          “What do you mean?”

          “Like, what if the person writing our love story doesn’t have a happy ending in mind?”

          “W-what are you talking about?” Myungsoo stuttered.

          Sungyeol turned to face Myungsoo, one hand holding his head up, the other being held by the person lying down next to him.

          “What if we were meant to meet, but we weren’t meant to stay together?”

          The grip on Sungyeol’s hand tightened, and Sungyeol smiled at Myungsoo, even though his thoughts and words were nothing to smile about. Myungsoo frowned at him.

          “Don’t say stuff like that Sungyeol.”

          Sungyeol chuckled before lying his head down on his arm.

          “Myungsoo, do you really think that we’ll be together forever?”

          The younger glanced at Sungyeol.

          “Of course,” he breathed out.

          Just as he said that, a shooting star passed by them, and Myungsoo smiled.

          “We’ll be together forever.”

          Sungyeol’s eyebrows furrowed, and he tried to take his hand out of Myungsoo’s grip but to no avail. He ended up just rolling over to put his head on Myungsoo’s stomach until the awkward position made Myungsoo let go of Sungyeol’s hand.

          “Are you sure?” he asked as soon as he got comfortable on Myungsoo’s stomach. He could feel every time that Myungsoo breathed, and it bothered and comforted him how even it was.

          “Yup,” Myungsoo replied. He used one of his arms as a pillow as he lifted his head slightly to look down at Sungyeol. He smiled and started to pet Sungyeol’s hair softly.

          “What if you fall in love with someone else?”

          Myungsoo laughed. It was soft enough that Sungyeol’s head didn’t move, but it was loud enough for the both of them to hear it.

          “That’ll never happen, love.”

          Sungyeol sat up and turned his body around so that he was now sitting in front of Myungsoo with his legs crossed. He looked down at Myungsoo and scoffed.

          “Are you sure? There are a lot of pretty people in this world. When I get older, I bet you’ll start looking at those younger than you,” he said.

          The younger just smiled again as another star attempted to cross the sky. He rolled over slightly and layed his head on Sungyeol’s lap, stubbornly keeping his head there even though Sungyeol tried to get it off.

          “You’ll always be the prettiest person to me, and you can’t grow old if you’re still a child at heart.”

          This time both of them laughed. Sungyeol playfully hit Myungsoo’s chest, but afterwards, he leaned over and gave him a quick peck on the lips. He immediately blushed after that and proceeded to ignore Myungsoo’s teasing stare by looking back up at the sky.

          Sungyeol sighed. It was really beautiful that night. The two of them were alone, just how he liked it, and they were talking. Sometimes he just asked things to hear Myungsoo’s voice, and other times he asked the younger things because he couldn’t help but feel not good enough for him. Myungsoo loved him so much, but there were so many times that Sungyeol felt like he wasn’t giving the younger enough love back.

          “Hey, why did you stop talking?”

          Sungyeol looked down to see a pouting Myungsoo, and he felt like they had just met for the first time. He fell in love with Myungsoo again all the time.

          “I was just thinking,” he replied, looking back to the stars.

          This time it was Myungsoo’s turn to frown. He didn’t like it when Sungyeol was quiet about his thoughts. It always made him insecure, especially with all the questions that Sungyeol asked lately. He wondered if Sungyeol actually knew how much he meant to him.

          “Sungyeol,” he began.

          “Yeah?”

          “I think our destiny is to be happy.”

          Sungyeol smiled, still looking at the stars. Another one just fell, and along with that star, Sungyeol’s heart also took a leap.

          “Oh yeah?” he said.

          “Yup,” Myungsoo stated, “We’re going to grow old together, and watch as the years fly by, even though our hearts won’t age. If the person writing our love story doesn’t have a happy ending in mind, then I’ll have to call that person and make them change their mind. If we were meant to meet, but are not meant to stay together, then we’ll part multiple times only to buy gifts for each other in secret. We’ll part, but we’ll always find each other in the end. Also, I won’t fall for anyone else, because there is no one in this world I can see but you and me.”

          Sungyeol watched as another shooting star passed by and then looked down, starting to pet Myungsoo’s hair like he did to Sungyeol earlier.

          “So Sungyeol,” Myungsoo spoke again.

          “Yes?”

          “Do you think we’ll last forever?”

          Sungyeol chuckled and leaned down, giving Myungsoo another kiss.

          “Of course,” he replied.

          Myungsoo smiled, happy with Sungyeol’s answer. He moved a bit so that he would be more comfortable with his head on Sungyeol’s lap and sighed happily as Sungyeol caressed his hair.

          “I love you.”

          Sungyeol took a hold of Myungsoo’s hand with his other hand, and smiled.

          “I love you too.”