Daylight

Playlist: Good Night till the Blue Daylight

Disclaimer: Events in this story are purely fictional.

_______________________________________________________________________________

 

Title: Daylight
Artist: Maroon 5

 

Here I am waiting, I’ll have to leave soon
Why am I, holding on?
We knew this would come, we knew it all along
How did it, come so fast?

 

“Hyung, I’m home,” I say as I enter our apartment.

Joonyoung smiles widely when he sees me at the doorstep. He was sprawled on the couch with his guitar, humming to a song that would probably be added to his upcoming album, but he gets up and puts his guitar aside as I come closer.

“How was your day? Did you have a great time with your family?” he asks me.

I nod in reply. “We spent the whole day at home. Mom cooked dinner for us, just like the old times,” I tell him. “Have you eaten already?”

“Mmhmm,” he says. “You want to hear the song I was playing a while ago?”

He starts strumming his guitar and singing, without waiting for my reply. He knows I’d say yes, anyway. I smile as I listen to his velvety voice. He sings a rock-ballad and grins when he sees my approving smile.

“It’s good isn’t it?” Joonyoung says proudly. “Should I include it in my album?”

“You should,” I tell him. I stare at him for a moment. This might be the last time in a really long time that I’ll hear him sing in front of me.

Joonyoung notices that I have become silent.

“Are you sleepy already? You still have to wake up early tomorrow. You should sleep now,” he says.

“I still have some stuff to pack,” I tell him.

“I’ll help you. Come on,” he gets up and walks towards the bedroom. I follow him, and unconsciously slip my hands into his and intertwine our fingers together.

He looks at me and smiles.

We both know this could be our last night like this. Tomorrow, I’ll have to go.

Joonyoung opens the closet and pulls out the huge trolley bag with most of my things in it. He drops it on the floor, and opens it. He then asks me what else I still need.

“Umm…I still have some shirts in my drawer that I want to put in,” I reply as I take out clothes and hand it to him.

“You don’t have to do this, hyung” I say. “I can pack on my own.”

“But I want to help you,” he pouts.

“Fine,” I laugh at his attempt to act cute. I join him, and we both sit on the floor, carefully arranging my belongings into the bag.

“Will you miss me, aga?” he asks in a small voice.

“I will. I’ll miss you a lot,” I answer in a hushed tone.

 

This is our last night but it's late
And I’m trying not to sleep
Cause I know, when I wake, I will have to slip away

 

I deferred my entrance to Georgetown University for a year. I’ve known since the very beginning that I’d have to leave eventually.

But so much has happened within a year. I won Superstar K4. I’m doing what I’ve always wanted – to pursue music. I’ve received love and support from fans, and for that I’m thankful. I may have gone through tough times, but I’ve still made it through. I’ve made unbreakable friendships and irreplaceable memories.

I’ve met Joonyoung.

And even though I knew since day one that we’d eventually have to part ways, I’m still not ready to leave him.

I do not want to leave him.

 

And when the daylight comes I’ll have to go
But tonight I’m gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we'll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close
Oh-woah, oh-woah, oh-woah
Oh-woah, oh-woah, oh-woah

 

When I go into the bathroom to brush my teeth before I sleep, Joonyoung is there too. He moves aside so I can use the sink. We brush our teeth together, and like idiots, we have a contest on who can brush without spitting out the longest.

“I’m gonna win, hyung,” I gurgle through my foam-filled mouth.

“We’ll see, Sangwoo. We’ll see,” he answers confidently. He brushes his teeth at a steady pace, while looking calm and relaxed. I try to copy his technique, and for minutes we stand there laughing because neither of us wants to give up.

Finally, Joonyoung gets tired. But instead of spitting out first, he pokes at my ribs, making me spit out the foam in my mouth. “Yah! Hyung, that’s unfair!”

He just laughs at me and pushes his foam-stained cheek to my face.

“Hyung! That’s just gross.”

 

Here I am staring at your perfection
In my arms, so beautiful
The sky is getting back the stars are burning out
Somebody slow it down
This is way too hard, cause I know
When the sun comes out, I will leave
This is my last glance that will soon be memory

 

I stare at Joonyoung’s angelic sleeping face. He breathes in and out soundly; he sleeps like a baby beside me. I pull him closer to me, and I wrap my arms around his frame. I hold him tightly.

I lay awake in that position. I can’t sleep. I don’t want to sleep. I know tomorrow night won’t be like this anymore. I can’t hold him like this anymore.

Joonyoung stirs awake. He sees that I’m not yet asleep; he frowns. “Sangwoo-yah, go to sleep.”

I shake my head. “I’m not sleepy, hyung.”

“Do you want to go out for a stroll?” he asks as he rubs his eyes.

“No,” I answer. “I just want to stay like this.”

He shifts our position, so I can lay on his chest. I can hear the beating of his heart, and I just want to memorize it and embed it in my memory.

“Do you want me to sing you to sleep?” Joonyoung asks. I nod. He sings one of my favorite songs, ‘The Blower’s Daughter’ by Damien Rice.

“I can’t take my eyes off you.
I can’t take my eyes off you.
I can’t take my eyes off you.” 

When he’s here by my side, I can feel safe and strong. If he’s with me, I know I’ll be able to get through anything. Tomorrow, however, things will be different.

All these precious, fragile moments might Become Dust.

Joonyoung’s voice echoes in my ear until I finally close my eyes to sleep, and I secretly hope that the morning never comes.

 

And when the daylight comes i'll have to go
But tonight i'm gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we'll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close
Oh-woah, oh-woah, oh-woah
Oh-woah, oh-woah, oh-woah

I never wanted to stop because I don't wanna stuck alone babe, stuck alone babe
I was afraid of the dark but now it's all that I want, all that I want, all that I want

 

“Good morning, Roy,” I wake up to Joonyoung’s smile and the smell of his cooking. “I made breakfast for you.”

I cover my face with the blanket. I don’t want to get up yet.

“Come on. You’ll be late for your flight,” he says as he pulls the blanket down.

“No,” I say sleepily.

He pulls my arm to help me get up, but instead, I pull him down to the bed.

“Hyung, I don’t want to go,” I hug him so tightly that it’s hard for both of us to breathe. If he tells me to stay, I wouldn’t move an inch. I wouldn’t leave.

“You have to go,” Joonyoung tells me, “You know that. This is for you, this is for your future. It’s a great opportunity that you can’t miss. Not everyone gets the chance to go to Georgetown…”

I nod. I know he’s right. I have to get up and get ready to leave.

“I hope your album does well, hyung,” I say.

“Oh, it will,” he says with a confident smile on his face.

It will. I’m sure of that too. He’s hard working and talented. I smile at him, and both of us finally get up to eat.

 

And when the daylight comes i'll have to go
But tonight i'm gonna hold you so close
Cause in the daylight we'll be on our own
But tonight I need to hold you so close
Oh-woah, oh-woah, oh-woah
Oh-woah, oh-woah, oh-woah

 

There’s no more escaping it. Daylight has come, and we have to part ways. We’re here at the airport. In a few minutes, I’ll be leaving. Joonyoung tells me again and again to take good care of myself. I reassure him and tell him not to worry too much about me, and I promise to call him regularly.

 

“I’ll miss you, oppa,” I tell him one last time.

 

“I’ll miss you too, aga,” he says.

 

I kiss both of his cheeks, and finally turn around to leave.

 

____________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

 

 

Comments and criticisms will be greatly appreciated.
Please leave one in the comment section,or here if you don't have an account in AFF