Project

Project

“Was it really necessary to bring that?” Hoya asked as he pulled a small ceramic plate off of the moving conveyer belt to his left.

Myungsoo glanced up from his camera and nodded once, “Of course it’s necessary.”

The younger turned back to his camera, paying no attention to the elder’s infamous stare as he continued to snap pictures of his bowl of miso soup and plate of ebi nigiri.

The seven boys continued their dinner, each reaching over each other to grab plates of sushi before they passed their table and Dongwoo occasionally looking over Myungsoo’s shoulder as the visual browsed through the candids he had taken during the night.

---

You glanced over at the table of boys from the cash register at the front of the small sushi shop. You couldn’t help but think that someone was looking down on you when one of your coworkers called in sick earlier that day and you offered to cover for him on a whim.

A small smile unknowingly formed on your face when your eyes zeroed in on one particular boy who was biting the ends of his chopsticks as he watched a plate with four scallop rolls slowly creep towards their table, a camera slung over the back of his chair. He grabbed the plate when it was within arms reach and you laughed silently when he stuffed of the rolls into his mouth with childlike satisfaction.

“Boy watching I see?”

You whirled around and scowled when you saw one of your fellow waitresses smirking at you.

“Don’t do that,” you pouted, “You almost gave me a heart attack.”

Your coworker shrugged as she grabbed two cups from the stack near the soda fountain machine.

“Why don’t you go talk to them?” she asked.

“No, that’s so embarrassing!” you cried, “I could never.”

“Why not?” she shot you a questioning look, as she filled the cup with ice, “It’s not like they know you’re a fan.”

“I know,” you pursed your lips and stared down at your shoes, “But what would I say?”

“How about ‘can I get you guys anything else’?” she laughed.

You crossed your arms over your chest and leaned against the counter, “It would probably come out as some garbled mess and they’d know for sure that I was fan.”

“Well then they’re going to call you an Inspirit because I need you to cover that table for me,” she responded as she picked up the two cups that were now filled with iced water.

Your eyes widened as she walked off to a table of waiting customers without another word.

“But,” you started but sighed, knowing your protests would be of no use.

You looked over at the table towards the back of the small restaurant and bit you lip. Taking a deep breath, you tucked a stray lock of hair behind your ear and straightened the black apron that was tied around your waist before walking out from behind the counter.

---

“Can you lean back a little?” Myungsoo asked, still looking through his camera’s viewfinder “I can see part of your bangs in the frame.”

Sunggyu sighed and, like Dongwoo, leaned as far back in his chair as he could.

The boys watched Myungsoo snap multiple pictures of the giant tower of plates that they had accumulated over the course of the night. Just as he was about to snap a photo with a near perfect amount of exposure, a pair of legs clad in black slacks walked into the frame.

“Oh, I’m so sorry!”

Myungsoo let out a small, frustrated huff and lowered his camera before lifting his eyes to send an icy glare at the owner of the legs that ruined his shot. But his angry stare faltered when he found himself staring into a pair of wide, innocent eyes.

“I’m sorry,” you apologized again softly before adverting your eyes to the other boys who were staring at their band mate in shock, “But I was just coming to check if anyone wanted to order anything else.”

The six boys looked away from Myungsoo as he clutched onto his camera that was resting in his lap. After giving each other a few questioning looks, Sunggyu turned towards you.

“I think we’ll just take the check now,” he said with a polite smile.

You nodded and pulled a pad of check slips and a pen out of the front pocket of your apron. You began counting the plates, listing the amount of each type of plate. The boys stared at Myungsoo, who was intently watching plates of sushi pass their table, with curiosity and a hint of mischief.

You quickly added up the numbers and ripped the sheet off the pad.

“Just bring it up to the register when you’re ready to pay,” you said as you handed the bill to the oldest at the table.

You gave them one last smile before leaving the table.

A few silent seconds ticked by before Myungsoo turned his head away from the conveyer belt and found six pairs of eyes on him.

“What?” he snarled, instantly slipping into his alter ego when playful smiles slowly appeared on ’s faces.

“Don’t think we didn’t see that,” Sungjong hummed, lightly elbowing him.

“What are you talking about?” he narrowed his eyes at the younger.

“You don’t have to lie, Myungsoo-yah!” Sungyeol cooed from across the table, “We saw the way you looked at that waitress!”

“And there’s nothing to be ashamed of,” Woohyun chuckled, “She looked like your type too: cute and innocent. The only thing missing was the wavy hair.”

“Really?” Myungsoo asked with ample eyes.

“You didn’t notice?” Dongwoo asked with a laugh.

Myungsoo shook his head.

“Well, here,” Sunggyu said as he slid the check and the company’s credit card towards the visual, “Now you get a second chance.”

---

“Thank you! Come again!” you smiled as you handed a woman a plastic bag with a take out container.

You watched the woman leave with her food and your eyes widened when Myungsoo stepped in front of the register.

He slid the bill slip over the glass counter and gave you a shy half smile, a dimple on his right cheek making a momentary appearance.

You silently took the bill and started punching numbers into the register.

“Did you enjoy your meal?”

Myungsoo nodded his head and cleared his throat, “Yeah, it was good.”

“I’m glad,” you smiled and turned the small monitor on the register around to show him the grand total.

He quickly handed you the plastic card in his hand, ignoring the thumping in his chest that started after he saw your eyes turn into crescents.

“And I’m really sorry about ruining your picture,” you said, glancing at the camera strap that was draped over his shoulder, “If I had known, I would have waited until your were done.”

“Oh, it’s okay,” he shook his head, “The ones that I got should be good enough.”

“What are you taking pictures for?” you asked as you waited for the machine to process the transaction.

“A project,” he responded.

You ripped the receipt from the Readyprint and grabbed a pen out of the cup next to the register.

“Your company and CEO are letting you do something with your photography?” you asked absentmindedly as you slid the tiny slip of paper towards him to sign.

Myungsoo blinked at you a few time.

“You know I do photography?”

A rush of pink colored your cheeks with you realized what you had said.

“So … that means you’re a fan?” he asked with a smirk.

“Yeah, I am,” you nodded slowly with an embarrassed chuckle.

“For how long?” he continued to press.

“Mmmmm…” you pursed your lips in thought, “Long enough.”

“Hey, that’s not a real answer,” he teased.

You giggled softly and shrugged your shoulders.

“Myungsoo!”

Said boy looked over his shoulder to see Dongwoo poking his head through the front doorway of the restaurant.

“Hurry up, manager’s waiting for us.”

Myungsoo nodded and quickly signed on the dotted line before placing the pen back in the cup.

“Thank you,” he smiled and nodded once before jogging out the door to catch up with s.

You were about to place the receipt in the basket with the others when you noticed small writing under the fluid signature.

“‘If you ever want to know more about my project’,” you read to yourself and smiled at the nine digits written under the phrase.