1

A Winter's Night

In a land far, far away, a young adventurer stumbled upon a witch’s house. Being utterly curious in nature, he cautiously opened the door. The place was filled with jars of pickled… creatures, eyes and human and animal body parts. Oh dammit! What have I stumbled upon HanGeng asked himself. Slowly, he walked around the circular room, touching nothing.

As he tuned to leave, deciding he had intruded enough, a loud cackle ensued from behind him. Frightened, he spun around. A hideous apparition faced him. her skin was tinged grey under long, scraggly black hair.

“You do not enter a witch’s lair and leave untouched,” she hissed.

HanGeng stumbled backward, his eyes wide with surprise, his heart pounding in fear. His breath had left him. he was in full panic mode.

She pulled out some green glittery powder and threw it at him. the instant it touched his skin, it began itching and burning. Grey scales erupting and spreading like a wildfire across his body. His body! That was changing as well. Wings sprouted from his back, his legs lengthened and thickened. His mouth elongated, becoming a snout. His teeth grew sharper. He fell forward, unable to balance his new body.

HanGeng tried to scream. Only a weak roar emerged from his throat.

“Punishment,” the witch cackled and snapped her fingers. HanGeng disappeared and rematerialized in the middle of a forest. His transformation was finished and he was completely exhausted.

“Only true love shall set you free… but who would fall in love with a dragon?” she smiled evily and disappeared.

~0~

 Thousands years passed, but the dragon never found the one. HanGeng wandered the land, trapped in his cursed form but never did he find that one person that would both break his curse and take his heart. He was resting in a cave during winter one stormy day when he heard a cry from the forest the dragon's ears perked up. The cry sounded feminine and helpless. HanGeng spread his wings and took off over the forest. His sharp eyes searching for some sign of movement or some flutter of colour. HanGeng could never resist trying to rescue someone.

 As he scanned the forest, he heard the cry again. It sounded very afraid and panicked. Out of the corner of his eyes, he saw what appeared to be someone running. He swooped down lower to get a better look. It’s a man! HanGeng thought, he looks quite feminine. He could see a few feet behind, some sort of giant beast chasing the person. He pulled his wings in and dived into the forest between the creature and the feminine man it was chasing. Trees crashed around him as he landed, making a deafening noise. The snow blasted around him. The beast, a ten feet tall, ghostly white monster stopped in front of him. Saliva and blood dripped from its yellow fangs.

"You're in my way," the creature said in a low guttural voice, "my dinner is getting away."

They could both hear the crashing through the trees as the man put as much distance between herself and the beast.

"I won't allow you to kill the innocent. You've already killed enough," the dragon replied, smoke furling from his nostrils.

"You dare stand in my way," ten long claws extended from the creature's hand.

 In a quick movement, the creature had darted forward, raking its claws against the dragon's chest. The dragon let out a roar of agony. Its eyes turning red with blood rage. The dragon roared, fire blasting out of its mouth. Fresh blood dripped down its scaly chest. HanGeng spread his wings and but the creature's shoulder, taking him into the air. Higher and higher he went. Then, he dropped the creature. The beast went plummeting through the air. It landed with a sickening crunch on the ground. It is thick black blood pooling underneath. The dragon staggered as he landed. His breathing was heavy and laboured. He looked down at the blood staining the white snow. He could feel his strength being sapped from his body. He had to make sure the man was all right before he died. At least I have accomplished one noble thing in my life he thought. Sacrificing myself to save a life. Slowly he crawled forward. His head felt heavy, his limbs weak. As he walked forward, he saw a head peek out.

"I won’t hurt you," he said hoarsely.

From the swirling snow stepped the most beautiful man he had ever seen. HanGeng’s heart tripped inside his chest. He was fair, with long dark curls that framed his face. His lips were red, his eyes the warm brown. Fear was etched into his face as he walked forward.

"You saved me," he murmured.

The dragon nodded, no longer able to speak. He could barely stand as his life fluid seeped out. The cold was slowing the process, but he was sure he would die.

 "Oh! You're hurt!" the man cried, forgetting his fears and running forward, "Because of me!" Tears began falling from his beautiful eyes.

"I can heal you," he pulled a glowing purple crystal from a pouch around his waist, "I have the gift of healing."

He did not mention that it would sap his strength to heal the wound. HanGeng had saved his life. He owed the dragon. The man began chanting in a strange tongue, the glowing became more intense as he kept in repeating the words. The dragon felt himself grow sleepy, his chest growing warm, hotter and hotter as he continued chanting. His eyes drooped and he fell forward with a crash on his side into the snow. The wounds from the beast had closed. The man's leg trembled as he walked forward and placed his hands on the now smooth chest if the dragon.

"I did it," he murmured.

He had been doubtful that he could have closed the entire wound. I am so very weak he thought. His head spun and he fell forward, cushioned by the dragon.

As they slept, both weakened from their exertions, the dragon began transforming. His body returned to his princely human form. He was tall and well built with thick straight brown hair and deep grey eyes. The night came and turned into day. In sleep, his arm had pulled the long haired man closer, keeping his body warm next to HanGeng’s. The feminine man awoke first that morning, his head pounding. He gasped in surprise at the human hand around his waist. Slowly he turned around to face the man lying next to himself. He is rather handsome he thought as he freed himself from the embrace but where is the dragon?

He groaned and stirred as she pulled out of the circle of his arms. His grey eyes opened and searched around him. Their eyes met and held. Love echoed through Hangeng, through him. Grey eyes looking into brown eyes. He broke the gaze and looked down at himself.

 "The curse, it's broken. You healed me and broke the curse," he dusted the snow from his hair as he got up. He nodded gently.

"You saved my life," he whispered, “I am HeeChul.” As he felt strange potent feelings welling up inside her heart. "We saved each other," he held his arms out to the other man. He walked slowly into HanGeng’s embrace. HeeChul’s head resting on his chest he had healed, over his heart. It felt right and complete. Gently, he kissed HeeChul’s forehead.

"We belong together," he murmured.

~A/N~

Just a little something. Hope you all enjoyed reading it :3